Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't know where you got that from. A look a underage has clearly shown a dip as well.

A generation of top players have left and not been replaced with similar quality. It is now a Dublin team in transition. Dublin fans who watch league and championship know this.

It is up to other counties to strike while the iron is hot now. No excuses for them now.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Why? He puts his body on the line for his county. Back in the 00's Dublin were soft and easily got at. It is the like of Philly McMahon's in the Dublin squad which were the backbone to many an all-ireland. If he was your county team you would love him. If not you would hate him simple as. That type of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭mcgragger

4 points in over an hour of football.

Dessie Farrell should resign

I am just delighted that it was not Kerry that beat Dublin. That would have been very hard to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well done Mayo. Beaten by the better team today. Hope they go on to beat that other shower in the final now.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭MFPM

That's probably harsh but I'm not convinced by him at all. The training breach, the Cluxton thing but most of all the way the team is playing. This has been a really ignominious end to this period of Dublin dominance - the team unravelled out there today where was Con and Kilkenny in the second half, in fairness to Fenton he kept going. Mayo deserved the win and they probably deserved to end Dublin's reign as they have been their best opponents.

So will the rest of the country I think.

I can only see it going one way - Kerry are full of goals.

• Advertisement

Exactly G, last year was a bonus and COVID has meant Dessie hasn't been able to work new players in or settle on a team or style of play.

I'm proud of everything they've given over the past few years, 45 unbeaten games is some achievement. Now watch as we see a raft of daft responses.

Let's get one thing straight. Every. Single. Team. was breaking that rule. Everyone knew it was happening but because some yahoo hid in a bush to get some pics the GAA had to take action.

Sure Kerry have only been training 3/4 months now so might be undercooked 😆

I am surprised how O'Rourke and T'O'S are so shocked. It is as if they did not watch all of Dublin's recent games.

There is one fella who will have a sleepless night after this game - Davy Byrne losing that ball.

And I feel kind of sorry for him. Because it will be replayed for the rest of his life on Reeling in the Years - GAA Gold etc

Twas a bit of a brain fart but our defense were sold a pup by the forwards from halftime on. Sloppy passes, lazy tackling, awful shooting, all just kept piling the pressure on the backline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

I guess I am going to get hammered for this, but what the hell.

Does anyone here agree that Dublin really let themselves down with the level of filth they displayed, particularly when they were feeling the pressure? I have watched a fair few games in my time, but this one is up there.

Should be ashamed.

• Advertisement

No question that other teams were doing it but not every team were. Either way, it shouldn't have happened and the point I'm making is that it wouldn't have under the previous management in my view.

Of course they all were. It was an open secret in many parts. Sure, the Kerry manager admitted they'd been training hard for 7 months in a post match interview after the Munster final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

It's been coming. The Leinster campaign highlighted it.

Well done Mayo.

I agree, I think we all saw it coming but you kept hoping Dublin would turn it around.

I know he did and John Maughan categorically stated that Offally weren't for example.

• Advertisement

Up there with what exactly? Both teams had one high shot each and there was a couple of black cards thrown in, that could have gone both ways in fairness. Hardly a dirty stroke in the entire game. Not sure it came across on the tv but that was filthy weather for a game. That hazy rain makes it a nightmare for defenders and forwards.

The only part I thought Lane should have done better was when O'Shea ran towards the end and got involved in a fight. Should have been a straight red.

You must have never watched much Ulster football so and must have missed the Meath v Cork Meath v Mayo - 1988 and 1990. And Meath v Mayo 1996.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There was nobody near him either really.... he had about 15 yards of green grass and not a mayo fella anywhere.

My main worry now is what in the name of jaysus does some do when they are not going to an All-Ireland football final?

I have forgotten!

Can anyone remember what it was like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I don't post on here anymore really but ill make an exception for this ha.

Was almost waiting for this to happen all year it's been coming we have done same thing in every game we been comfortable than switched off.

I'm just gonna come out and say it I know there have been a lot of ins and outs but I just don't like the team where becoming. I don't know if u can outright blame Dessie for it but we have become such a negative team in how we play. We have some of the best players in the country yet were playing keep ball in every game no matter what and it cost us today the negative attitude cost us big time. We where in full control of that game and yet again the attitude turned and we stopped playing.

We used to be such a forward-thinking clever attacking team but there's a clear change in direction and unless something changes we won't win another All Ireland under Farrell.

Well done Mayo they better go on and win it now ffs!

I'd believe him to be honest. Anyway, the point is it was a significant miscalculation by Farrell and Galvin IMO.

Their discipline was poor, should have held it together but I can appreciate their frustration, firstly with their performance and Conor Lane for the majority of the contest was giving the majority of borderline calls to Mayo... as well as missing a fair few more obvious fouls...on Dublin lads.

Daft responses?

Its daft to suggest Farell hasn't had time to blood players and settle on a style

He's had the same as the rest of the managers so that's a complete misnomer.

That's as bad as Dublin have been in a very long time.

Dublin back to the drawing board.

Watch now as a few more players drop off the panel

It wasn't a patch on games in the past but I agree that several Dublin players let themselves down today, frustration got the better of them...

• Advertisement

Yeah he completely panicked. To be honest I thought Dublin would just keep ball and see it out. similar to the 2017 AIF. Couldn't believe Byrne lost it so handy.

Previous Dublin sides made composure look second nature - no panic. I think that came from Jim Gavin. Him and his 'process' etc. It might be a long while before we see the likes of that again.

That's par for the course these days unfortunately. A couple of soft enough black cards, especially when he'd been letting Mayo slow down the play and check the forwards from the start of the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Just out have not seen the other posts but that was a really poor end to our run our keep ball tactic was a joke and Mayo fully deserved the win .Our senior players were awful on the day and discipline broke down .We have had a great run and players owe us nothing still disappointing to end like in that manner. Maybe lucky not to be playing Kerry .

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

Yep. Its the only consolation. Not much, but I'll take any crumbs I can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

Disagree.

I've watched all that you mention, particularly the Meath/Cork/Mayo games. Cork v Kerry has never been free from sinners either.

Some of what happened today was just petulant pup type behaviour though, and not hard Gaelic football.

Why is it daft? He's lost a serious amount of players over the last 2 years and is clearly struggling to put his stamp on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A few brain farts particularly the keep ball in front of the goal, but ultimately discipline cost the game although even at that I’m not sure that we would have done enough to deserve it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The all Ireland thread was poison today - people coming out of the woodwork. Ah it’s nice they have something to cheer about for the first time in years. Funny thing is probably most on it not from Mayo! Just want to watch dubs lose cos their county never wins

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

No, champions don’t go down without a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Borderline calls to Mayo???

Shoulder to the head and a swinging arm to the head and no red cards. Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

In the second half Dublin forgot the object of the game is to score. Painfully slow transition and too much **** about playing keep ball characterised our game. That said Mayo upped the energy considerably and kept their discipline in the tackle to make it really tough for us. Disappointing end.

Fair play Mayo. Their fans were terrific. My ears are ringing and there were 12,000 of them in the stadium.

When the Mayo players do the same to the Dubs and that isn’t called or sanctioned, that’s where the problem exists, I suggest you get a grip ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

No it was not filthy. However the pundits will try and make what they can of any Dublin play especially the John Small tackle which I think the referee got right. We are not used to heavy hits in games now. I also think one or two Mayo lads let themselves down by trying to get players cards. They are very good at it. The game became a mess as Dublin just ran out of gas. They were simply drained and tackling was lazy. I could probably name 20 games not involving Dublin which were far worse.

McCarthy incident was a yellow no more. He didnt even look at what he was doing. That happens quite a bit in games.

Delighted Tomas O'Se pointed out the sportsmanship between the players when game was over. It would be to much to expect from O'Rourke and Staunton.

I think most of them are young kids. That is the impression I get.

World of difference between petulance (which I agree, there was some today) and filth as you originally described it.

• Advertisement

You would swear there was blood on jerseys and fractured jaws the way some posters are talking. It is just gaa barstoolers looking for a reaction from the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hard to see where Dublin go from here. Cooper and McMahon are past it, and McCarthy was caught for pace a few times. Comerford was brilliant the first half but had a stinker after that. Don't think he's in Cluxton's league and Dublin without Cluxton are a shadow. And the bench which won ye a few AIs wasn't great.

Dessie looked like a rabbit in headlights once Mayo drew level.

ORourke is just his usual anti Dublin self... he’s been a parody ffs for 20 odd years, the tv puts itself on mute when he appears.

staunton is trying to appeal to the ABD’s ... no more... she’s at the beginning of her punditry career, she’d like to be quoted tomorrow, or now.

Ive seen her in the same gym that a lot of the Dublin lads and girls use, exchanges pleasantries etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Dessie will have difficult enough time to get a team back on track the form of the last few games was repeated to night I think good play first half then poor second with no intensity . Our bench looks very weak so will need to find better options easier said than done of course .

In many ways this is like the complete reverse of that game we lost against Donegal. Today we were too reluctant to get forward and attack, choosing to slow the play and let Mayo funnel back.

I hope Dessie learns from this and adds a bit of impetus to the attack next year and not so much focus on the slow deliberate play, which cost us dearly today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement