Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I said when I started this topic that I ruled out any part Alfie might have played, or Ian Bailey for that matter.

The fact I thought it may be a boundary dispute had nothing to do with Alfie.(apologies to SoulWriter)

I was simply looking at it from a different angle.

" Sophie allowed locals to use her land to graze horses, completely free,"

Was this on the shared commonage, do you know?

How do you know she had no interest in the land?

Also it has nothing to do with Alfie whatsoever,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As makey uppey as any motive connecting Ian Bailey to the murder?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

I'm not saying Alfie did it.

I'm just pointing out that, if the existing evidence is sufficient to shine the light of suspicion on IB, then it is also sufficient to shine that light elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

They discuss it in the West Cork podcast, they couple who made the initial identification used Sophie's lands to graze horses, they said she owned quite a bit of land into the hills behind the house as far as I remember. She never asked for money or had any objection to them using the land, they said she wasn't really interested in it.

The only mention of any disagreement was with the estate agent who sold her the house, she was annoyed with him because he implied a storage shed closer to her house was part of the land but it belonged to Alfie. The only person she was annoyed with about it was the estate agent.

• Advertisement

There's as much raising suspicion towards Alfie as there was for IB? Did Aflie give a false alibi for the night? Did Alfie eventually admit he left the house in the middle of the night? Did Alfie tell several people that he did it? Did Alfie have a history of extreme violence, leaving the victim needing hospital treatment on several occasions? Did Alfie write stories about Sophie bringing a string of lovers to the house and pointing to a 'French connection', not only in the press but by inviting detectives to his house to direct their attention to the victim's husband? Did Alfie have a bonfire outside the back door of their outhouse and contradict witnesses who noticed it?

I haven't found a reliable source for the story about Alfie having a bandage on his hand either, is there one?

"they said she wasn't really interested in it."

Hearsay

he implied a storage shed closer to her house was part of the land but it belonged to Alfie."

It doesn't belong to either property .

"There's as much raising suspicion towards Alfie as there was for IB?"

There is, in fact, more.

"Did Aflie give a false alibi for the night? "

Not as far as I know. He lived there, he could hardly deny that.

"Did Alfie eventually admit he left the house in the middle of the night?"

No, not as far as I know.

Did Alfie tell several people that he did it?

"Why would he do that"

"Did Alfie have a history of extreme violence, leaving the victim needing hospital treatment on several occasions?"

No, not to my knowledge - but neither did the Yorkshire ripper.

"Did Alfie write stories about Sophie bringing a string of lovers to the house and pointing to a 'French connection', not only in the press but by inviting detectives to his house to direct their attention to the victim's husband?"

Alfie was a pastry chef, not an investigative journalist

"Did Alfie have a bonfire outside the back door of their outhouse and contradict witnesses who noticed it?"

I don't know.

"I haven't found a reliable source for the story about Alfie having a bandage on his hand either, is there one?"

The source is quoted in is quoted back in the thread somewhere, I'm not going to trawl the whole thing look for it now.

So, now that I have answered, here are some questions for you MoonUnit:

Did Bailey even know Sophie?

Is there any evidence that Bailey was at the crime scene?

Did Bailey have an ongoing dispute with Sophie?

Did Bailey have a motive to kill Sophie?

Was any DNA evidence belonging to Bailey found at the scene?

Was any incriminating evidence found on Bailey's clothing, or possessions?

Why did the DPP contemptuously reject the flimsy, circumstantial, contrived case that the Gardai presented?

Why did witnesses claim that they had been bribed and coerced by members of the investigation team to collaborate in the framing of Ian Bailey?

Why did Gardai destroy evidence relating to an ongoing murder case?

I could on asking but that's enough to think about for now.

Once again, there is more evidence to implicate Alfie in this crime that there ever was against IB.

And I repeat, I'm not saying AL did it - just that, if the existing evidence doesn't implicate him as a suspect, then it certainly doesn't implicate Bailey.

So you've absolutely nothing other than she had a neighbour who liked a gate left open and she liked it closed, or vice versa. That's it, is it? If the disagreement was serious, why did none of her family mention it? I actually think I liked the 'violent fiesta-driving, cattle-rustling, foreign woman loving unnamed, dead garda' fantasy better.

Yes, you're absolutely right! There is very little, other than tenuous links, to implicate Alfie Lyons.

My point is that there is even less to implicate Bailey.

Aren't you going to answer my questions?

• Advertisement

If you don't know the answers to those questions then you've wasted your time here on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

The Gards arrived at the murder scene at 10.40am (or there abouts).

Whilst preserving the crime scene, one of the Gards noted that Sophie had wet blood around her nose area (not conjealed blood)

Her stomach contained her last meal - nuts and berries (breakfast cereal) - Also exposed loaf of bread on the side.

The indications are she was murdered in the morning not during the night.

Throw in her unmade bed, her outside light turned off, it all supports she waking up & having breakfast....

If her blood hadn't yet fully conjealed around her nose, does that not suggest she was only recently murdered, in the morning?????

** Speeding car driving erratically away from the vicinity at 7.30am ?? **

If she was murdered in the morning - That rules Bailey out.

The investigation would have been better run with the keystone Cops at the helm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

So moonunut your theory is that a drunk man got out of his bed on a December night/morning, walked a few miles to a house where a woman he didnt know lived looking for sex. She knocked him back so he violently murdered her but left no trace of evidence despite being drunk. He then took the long way home to wash himself in seawater and went home and by all accounts had a jolly old normal Christmas ( even the Italian student said they had a good christmas and she didnt notice anything strange - until she remembered the bucket years later!!!). This theory doesnt at all seem far fetched to you but it does to alot of people. It could very well be true but for most people there is no concrete evidence that this happened at all.

Chooseusername has as good a theory as any with the land dispute theory and should be given some consideration. People can fly into rages over property disputes - this happens all the time. Like it or not a property dispute is a motive for murder - its more plausible than a man knocking on a strangers door looking for sex!

There is about 11 acres attached to the property on 7 different plots spread around the area

plus a half share in about 5 acres on 2 commonages.

A right-of-way starts at the fateful gate way and the first 25-30 yds over Sophie's and an adjoining landowners part of the lane

are a right-of-way- for Alfie and the Richardsons

From the boundary with Richardson's land, the right-of-way is for Sophie and Alfie over Richardson's part of the lane up to the rear of Sophie's house.

This sounds complicated but is not unusual.

It can lead to misunderstanding and gateways on a right-of-way can lead to rows.

Perhaps got nothing whatsoever to do with the attack on Sophie,

but is something the investigators may have looked at I'd imagine ,

if they took time out from chasing down Bailey.

Thanks

How do you explain away Baileys comment to his former workmate/friend where he says he did it after seen her “tight ass” in Spar? I found that an extraordinary comment to make-that along with confessing similar to a 14 year old boy - a totally inappropriate thing to do- I don’t see one bit of sarcasm in either of these comments which IB claims that’s all it was.

I know this “evidence” isn’t the stuff of “beyond reasonable doubt” but it’s disturbing nevertheless.

i also wonder why a defence wasn’t put forward in the French trial- the evidence there was circumstantial at best- it could easily have been refuted and Bailey found not guilty leading to his freedom to travel again - his legal representative said they weren’t fighting the case because the trial was a done deal and he would be found guilty anyway- I’m sorry but I don’t believe that- I think there may have been some very awkward moments for the defence that they couldn’t overcome -IB has been screaming for an Irish trial because he knows he’ll be found not guilty based on the current evidence - but he couldn’t be sure of that in a French trial because the defence has to work a lot harder to prove innocence and It’s just my opinion that they felt they couldn’t win that battle - it’s a pity they didn’t go through with it because I feel once and for all Bailey could have been found innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Have the sleuths here not solved this yet? 😁

Far too many unfounded assumptions and too many other people taking those unfounded assumptions and coming up with crazy scenarios.

You will also have those on the ground there who will take something they saw and fit it into the story - the blue fiesta is a classic example. (#1 selling car for the previous 3 years & #1 selling colour - basically THOUSANDS of blues fiestas and hundreds with Cork registrations)

Yes there was a little tit tat over the gate being open / closed. But that's what it was. A little annoyance, but not something that overly affected relationships - after all she was not there that often.

Nearly impossible for any of us to make judgement unless you lived in the area or a similar area in the mid nineties. For all we know, she met someone on the plane / in the airport in France that was going home for Christmas to the same area.

Or her almost ex-husband thinking this was a good way of getting life insurance.

Or someone simply burglaring the house and scarpering.

Or any number of other theories

Yep, the local cops were dreadful in their duties, but in defence, they probably thought it would be easy to solve and also had absolutely no experience of such a crime. - Drunk man jaywalking, minor car accidents or the odd domestic bust up was probably their bread and butter.

Personally I think we'll never know.

Locals will have their own theories, but even down there, there is an abundance of different theories.

Yes, I see your point on both issues.

Bailey is an objectionable loudmouthed, arrogant egomaniac. He demands attention at all times and is willing to come out with shocking statements to achieve this. For this type of personality, attention - even of the negative type - is preferable to not being noticed. So I'd accept that his ill judged and clumsy attempts at sarcasm were just that. If he had sat down, sober, with someone and unambiguously explained how, why and when he killed Sophie, then that's a different matter. But he didn't do that. The DPP's stance on these points is, in my opinion, correct.

However, I can see why some people would take a different view.

With regard to the French court case, it is important to understand the differences with regard to process. The evidence as presented by the Gardai was rejected by the DPP as being insufficient to prosecute and, subsequently, never went to court. In this way The DPP acted as an important "check and balance" step which is a key part of the judicial process.

My understanding is that the French system is different. The investigation is monitored at every step and the vital "check and balance" function is incorporated in the investigation itself.

In Bailey's case, the evidence which was rejected by the DPP was presented directly to the French court without the "check and balance" step and this, clearly, is a failure of process. So the evidence against him, previously rejected by the DPP, was accepted as bona fide by the French court.

So, the outcome of the French prosecution was a foregone conclusion and does not, in my opinion, make it any more or any less likely that Bailey committed the crime.

Important points, for me, are the absence of any evidence suggesting that he personally knew Sophie, the lack of any evidence pointing to his presence at the crime scene and the fact that he had no motive. If any of these could be proven, then the circumstantial evidence would then be much more incriminating.

The French investigation began as far back as 2008, they visited Ireland themselves and carried out investigations on the ground, interviewed witnesses etc. They discussed the DPP’s lack of logic and bias in the trial eg. Getting the location of the ‘studio’ completely wrong when they said it was directly beside the house when it is in fact 100m down a public road, saying Ian’s alibi about writing a story was plausible and that everyone agreed he needed to have the story in the next day but then, illogically leaving out the fact that he wasn’t able to dictate the story until the afternoon after the deadline. Claiming witnesses are all unreliable except the people living under the same roof as Ian, without mentioning the history of extreme violence demonstrating a high possibility of coercive control over these witnesses etc. The DPP report is a bit of a shambles and it was treated as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

For Bailey as culprit to make sense I think we have to assume he had established some sort of prior connection to Sophie, even if only on the basis of a couple of brief conversations. She gives him an open invitation to call over for a cup of tea or whatever, he misreads the signals and tragedy ensues...

More rabbit holes of insignificant detail.

The French court accepted, without the vital checks on veracity, integrity and strength, the evidence presented by the Gardai. This evidence had not only been rejected by the DPP but, effectively demolished.

The DPP report is a forensic and comprehensive analysis of the evidence constructed by legal experts. It is most certainly not a bit of a shambles and nor has it been treated or regarded as such to any significant extent.

• Advertisement

Yes, there would at least have to be some link between Bailey and Sophie to support the theory. Or perhaps some reason for him to have done it. Or some evidence of him being present at the crime scene. Or even some forensic evidence . But there is none.

So I agree, without this it does not make sense.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I'm sure everyone has a fleeting acquaintance with a lot of people that there is no external evidence of.

Lets for a minute imagine that IB wasnt an annoying investigative journalist that showed up at the scene of the murder the next morning and stayed well away from the scene. Would he be a suspect based on the evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

Okay but you and others are saying that because no witness can put Ian and Sophie together, it is absolutely impossible they could have met and talked a couple of times before her murder. I don't think this is a reasonable conclusion.

No, I've never said that anything is "absolutely impossible"

And you're right. Had I done so it would not be a "reasonable conclusion". But I didn't. And I can't recall anyone else making such an assertion.

Its not impossible that they didnt know each other but there is no proof either that they ever met properly or had a converstation. You would imagine if he felt he could call round to her house during the night or early morning there would have to be some form of contact prior. Unless though he was just out to murder her and was there for no other reason - which is also possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Not impossible but improbable. With a character as big as Bailey and someone who was a famous as Sophie in the community, if they were spotted together, im sure it would have been the talk of the town. Also, Bailey has always been consistent about this, that Alfie pointed her out to him from a distance. Also, the type of character Bailey is, I'm sure he would have been quick to tell others about his french film director friend had they known each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Are you going to add anything to the thread apart from smart arse quips?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement