Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

In the second half Dublin forgot the object of the game is to score. Painfully slow transition and too much **** about playing keep ball characterised our game. That said Mayo upped the energy considerably and kept their discipline in the tackle to make it really tough for us. Disappointing end.

Fair play Mayo. Their fans were terrific. My ears are ringing and there were 12,000 of them in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When the Mayo players do the same to the Dubs and that isn’t called or sanctioned, that’s where the problem exists, I suggest you get a grip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

No it was not filthy. However the pundits will try and make what they can of any Dublin play especially the John Small tackle which I think the referee got right. We are not used to heavy hits in games now. I also think one or two Mayo lads let themselves down by trying to get players cards. They are very good at it. The game became a mess as Dublin just ran out of gas. They were simply drained and tackling was lazy. I could probably name 20 games not involving Dublin which were far worse.

McCarthy incident was a yellow no more. He didnt even look at what he was doing. That happens quite a bit in games.

Delighted Tomas O'Se pointed out the sportsmanship between the players when game was over. It would be to much to expect from O'Rourke and Staunton.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think most of them are young kids. That is the impression I get.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

World of difference between petulance (which I agree, there was some today) and filth as you originally described it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

You would swear there was blood on jerseys and fractured jaws the way some posters are talking. It is just gaa barstoolers looking for a reaction from the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Hard to see where Dublin go from here. Cooper and McMahon are past it, and McCarthy was caught for pace a few times. Comerford was brilliant the first half but had a stinker after that. Don't think he's in Cluxton's league and Dublin without Cluxton are a shadow. And the bench which won ye a few AIs wasn't great.

Dessie looked like a rabbit in headlights once Mayo drew level.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ORourke is just his usual anti Dublin self... he’s been a parody ffs for 20 odd years, the tv puts itself on mute when he appears.

staunton is trying to appeal to the ABD’s ... no more... she’s at the beginning of her punditry career, she’d like to be quoted tomorrow, or now.

Ive seen her in the same gym that a lot of the Dublin lads and girls use, exchanges pleasantries etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Dessie will have difficult enough time to get a team back on track the form of the last few games was repeated to night I think good play first half then poor second with no intensity . Our bench looks very weak so will need to find better options easier said than done of course .

In many ways this is like the complete reverse of that game we lost against Donegal. Today we were too reluctant to get forward and attack, choosing to slow the play and let Mayo funnel back.

I hope Dessie learns from this and adds a bit of impetus to the attack next year and not so much focus on the slow deliberate play, which cost us dearly today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

It's the end of an era and I expect a few more retirements.

Imagine at half time you knew Dublin just needed to score 4 points in the second half to win!!

Mayo upped the intensity and Dublin never tried to run the ball.

Just a few words on a couple of mayo players.

I'll start with Aidan O'Sea.

I have been very critical of him in the past and guess what I'm going to be again.

Running on to the side of the pitch remonstrating with the officials trying to get John small sent off to running on to the pitch at the end of normal time remonstrating with the referee.

What a shame he didn't show the same passion and intensity when he was on the pitch.

And don't get me started on that missed free in the 1st half from the mark that never was.

He has constantly let mayo down and for the life of me I cannot understand why they persevere with him.

On to rob hennelly.

He's had many dark days in a mayo shirt but fair dues to him, he showed some guts with that 45 at the end.

He also kicked some outstanding scores earlier in the game when it looked like the game was drifting away from them.

Maybe his breaffy club mate and "team captain" will learn a thing or two from him but I highly doubt it.

It is a complete rebuild now maybe five years? I always said once Cluxton ever left it was the beginning of the end of an era. He was that important. I can see Kerry going on a run of a few in a row now. Would love to see Mayo do it though and kick on and have the balls to put it up to Kerry in the next few years.

Dublin will be trying out lads for the next while, there will be a raft of more retirements and Dessie will have to try out some of his own ideas. Moving away from the Jim Gavin template. Not an easy job by any means.

Sure, look, it's the way it's going now. Lads getting called thugs for flattening someone with a fair shoulder (I hope he's okay by the way), while at the same time seeing nothing wrong with a bit of diving and whatnot.

Let them have there few minutes of glory, doesn't bother me in the slightest and certainly won't bother any of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dublin been like that all year, very laboured and just doing enough regardless of the quality of the opposition. Farrell was always going to suffer following in Jim Gavins footsteps with lads from the Gavin era, but he doesn't seem to bring very much to the table

Next year will be interesting, no Covid excuse. Thats if this poxy lockdown ever ends

Joe Molloy is an absolute dose at the best of times. It was an unfortunate outcome but a fair tackle.

O'Shea should 100% have received a red for running on the pitch and fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

What fair shoulder because it can't be the one from smalls that was an elbow to the jaw. Where the Mayo man was stretchered off and is in hospital

It was not done with menace he is not a dirty player, he just plays hard - a big lump. People don't know what they seem to want. On the one hand we have people saying the game is too stop start with whistle happy refs, advanced mark, and gone soft. People want manliness in the game etc.

On the other end of the spectrum we have people calling for player welfare, safety, and head injury protocol - similar to rugby.

In my opinion the Small incident is neither of the extremes it was just a fella mistiming a shoulder. He did not go out to crease McLoughlin.

• Advertisement

Every other teams had to cope with Covid so can't really been seen as an excuse. Also Dublin had been training when they were meant not to

Just as well he wasn't talking about every other team and specifically mentioned Dublin and it doesn't look like it's trying to make excuses either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭C__MC

Still can't belive Davy Byrne didn't punt that ball.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Does everyone still Think Dublin should be split/divided up to make things more competitive....? This was the narrative once the 3 in a row was achieved, also continuous talk about the conveyor belt of talent they had etc etc. this pm there are posters saying their bench is poor, there will be a lot of rebuilding needed following retirements ....winning streaks always come to an end and the ‘hysterical type cries’ are soon forgotten. Same with limerick in hurling there are currently pundits saying they will dominate like the dubs???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

He 100% went out to crease him but legally. Unfortunately for both lads he got him in the jaw with the point of his shoulder. That's a red. I'm my opinion he didn't mean to get him in the jaw but unintentional isn't in the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Nah every dynasty has to end.

When Kerry win the next few no one will give a s"it,

We won't go away like last time..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

looking at our under teams recently am sure there are some good players there but will take a few years to get them up to the level required as for sure more senior players will step away.

Always wondered what Arsene Wenger was doing nice to see you on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The whinging about Limerick is lads from the "traditional" big hurling counties. They're sickened that Limerick are now a top team who are dishing out the hard knocks that they used to take from other teams. Not that Different to Dublin.

• Advertisement

Except he was as he said it was down to Covid and lockdown. Be still a level playing field

Advertisement