Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The voyeur made a good living out of not seeing stuff. But even he'd admit there was no elbow to the jaw as you claimed. McLoughlin copped one to the face already but it looked like the force of the shoulder and his own turning into it made it a lot worse than it should have been.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Augme

I think people are being far too over the top sritting off Dublin or expecting a changing of the guard. Dublin shot themselves in the foot but they will learn from it. They demolished Mayo in the first half and got arrogant and thought the game was won at half time. Trying to see out a 6 point lead with 35 minutes left was foolish, but they won't be foolish like that again. The funny thing is they were seconds away from doing it too. The stupid playing it around at the back at the end was comical, which again, they will learn from and won't do again.

It's impossible not to get arrogant/over confident you have won as much as Dublin, losing in that manner will be a great wake up call though. They should have won that comfortably if they simply played to their ability for 50minutes they would have done that easily.

Two different things can be true at the same time. 1: we were well beaten today 2: COVID/Lockdown has disrupted Dublin's prep and Dessies plans. 2 does not take away from 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,865 ✭✭✭billyhead

As the saying goes you learn more from your losses than you do from your wins. This defeat will hurt but Dublin will be back hungrier and as determined as ever to win Sam.

Maybe this might be the making of comerford in the long run. He was spot on for 60 minutes.

The basketball style possession at all costs has gradually set in the last 3 years. I wonder who’s behind it, Gavin? Dessie? Senior players? The likes of Fenton, Kilkenny can play that game but the lads off the bench and less experienced seem terrified on the ball at times, always looking to give the responsibility to someone else. Defeat might force us to address this. It can kill a game when you’re on top or late on, but possession can’t be a whole half plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭briany

Look at it this way, if Dublin kept on winning Sam indefinitely, all the other counties would eventually take their ball and go home in a huff and have their mammies say they didn't want to play anymore. Have to throw them a bone at some stage just to keep them interested.

One thing that's hurt the possession game has been moving Kilkenny to the inside forwards. For years he was controlling the play playing deeper and to be honest, while his scoring wasn't as high the team were the better for it. We need to get him on the ball a lot more in games like today then we seen. Hopefully that's one change we see in the league next year.

Thought Comerford had a fine game myself. All things considered I thought our backline did a daycent job considering the amount of pressure our forwards put them under.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Have to say that over the years that this Dublin team have been a pleasure to watch. Great teams know how to win but as importantly know how to lose gracefully. It is a pity that this didn’t happen today. Thought the ref was shocking today..it seems only in extra time someone told him what the black card was actually for. The John small hit was high and happened very quickly but the ref has a duty of care to all players and it was obvious that the Mayo player was in trouble and the game halted straight away as he did in the first half when a Dublin player got a heavy hit. Looking back most will agree wether they like Dublin or Mayo that this is what the GAA is all about and Dublin losing will give all teams fresh hope in the future…..I am not Morgan Freeman …..and I LOVE THE GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Some achievement by Mayo an amateur team beat a fully organised and professional Dublin setup. Wonder what the Dublin boys will do Monday morning regarding their jobs when AIG won't be paying them now as they exit the championship for 2021?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Neutral here and I actually thought it was a fair shoulder but he definitely went to crease him. The biggest issue I could see was that the ref let play run on rather than stopping play when McLoughlin was clearly lying prone on the ground. Thought Mccarthy letting the elbow back was the dirtiest stroke in the game to be honest. I got my nose broken in a similar incident in a club game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Except 2 has disrupted every teams like Mayo also. Has not effected Dublin any differently

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Saw this coming all season. You cannot replace the greats in one or two seasons, we were always likely to come back to the pack. Hopefully we’ll be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Having time to calm down......... What a journey they have taken Dublin GAA on in last 10 years. Go raibh mile maith agat.

Dublin are far from finished. Philly will go bu I think thats it. Comerford was superb all year and he can be as good as Cluxton was. Davy Byrne has been one of our stars and a mistake like that at any other time wouldn't even register with us.

Any time we see a team sit back with 35 minutes to go it is asking for trouble. Even with possession you still need to keep scoreboard ticking over and we didn't. We stopped going forward Mayo got a sniff and all of a sudden they their tails were up. Murchan was also a huge loss to us also in last 10 minutes. .

Dublin will come back from this but we need to blood 6/7 players in League. We are crying out for a natural ball player in the forwards. Considering the very good article from Jack Mc a few pages back we need to get players out of the gym and concentrating on their ability not bulking them up. We have some very big lads on panel but movement is vital.

Fair play to Mayo. They fully deserved their victory. With all they have been through over the last 70 years would be nice to see them go on and lift the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Then go on to the other teams threads and let them know will ya. This one is about Dublin and in that context it's clear what was meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It took an almighty effort from a Top 3 team after extra time and a fortunate refereeing decision to allow the retake of the 45 to hand Dublin their first defeat in 7 years. It's the definition of a "once in a blue moon" type occurrence and absurd to conclude that now everything is fine since it's proven Dublin can be beaten once or twice a decade.

Remove your bias and look at the population difference, the funding difference and the home advantage in crucial games. It wouldn't happen in any other sport and the imbalance continues to destroy Football. Splitting is the only logical way forward.

There. Was. No. Elbow. To. The. Head.

Can't be clearer than that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

I think Philly Mc Mahon should call it a day, he's had a brilliant career but he's contributed nothing in the last two years, he's a parody of himself. His primary contribution this year was to foul Clifford in Kilarney to hand Kerry a draw. Cluxton won't be back and it's highly unlikely Mannion or McCaffrey will return. McMenamin is probably gone too given he didn't play this year. Dublin still have the nucleus of a very good team/squad but it goes without saying they need to unearth some new players.

• Advertisement

Speaking of which, why was that 45 retaken?

It looked like Philly came on as a sub and ran on to the pitch. About 10/20 seconds later the 45 was taken and missed. Did philly stand too close to it?

Christ we could have done with some of Kevs hard direct running in that second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

far too slow, really tactically poor today, played into Mayo’s hands... Dublin are always most dangerous when moving the ball fast and dynamically... too much of our play and possession was in front of Mayo in the second half... would have liked to have seen more teamwork, running off the shoulder of the player in possession.

commit mayo to foul more but then again when the referee is ignoring that it’s irrelevant.

Agreed. I thought Mayo done well to slow down our attack at times with the tactical fouling in the second half but even when we did break without being pulled down the ball would just be recycled again. Poor fare really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

From the most exciting team ever to one of the dullest.. I wouldn't mind a balance in between.. Limit the amount of hand passing in football

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

True but you are relying on Lane to blow the whistle and get his notebook out when it’s done outside of the rules as it often was and Lane didn’t...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Back in the early days of the 5 in a row Dublin played such open attacking football. Any idea why they changed that? They seemed to change that style prematurely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭MfMan

McCarthy has form at this, always leaving in a fist or foot. Great player, loads of medals but has a nasty streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If there is a split mergers of counties also have to be on the table. If the GAA as a whole really wants to move forwards. Won't happen in the next 40 years I would say.

I would disagree with you that Mayo were fortunate, they were clearly the better team on the day. It is not 'luck' that caused this defeat. It a combination of factors over the last few years which already have been elaborated on this thread, from the Dublin side of things.

And from the Mayo side of things they blooded their young lads two years ago, and they found a great bunch of players. Pace, energy and fearlessness. To call this a 'once in a blue moon' does a disservice to a great Mayo side. And a potentially legendary one.

It also does a disservice to the great Dublin core of a team that was involved in the seven in a row. As that core did fantastically well to keep showing the same level of hunger year, after year.

A core of Dublin players who will not only go down as legends in Gaelic football, but legends in Irish sport. They helped to revolutionize Gaelic games and they will be spoken of for many a decade in the future.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

It was the first game in a long time that I noticed the players getting incredibly frustrated at the ref. Some of it was warranted, some of it was probably because the game was starting to go against them.

Advertisement