Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No mention of the 10K limit now.

Try the Dark Reader add-on in your browser ( in Firefox - pretty sure you can get it for other browsers too). It works for the majority of sites.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Definitely an improvement on mobile.

Glad to see it but it makes me wonder why UI testing wasn't done initially.

Maybe it's just me being me but I'm wondering was it a case of HQ saying let's see what we can get away with not doing. If so, it backfired.

Any word from the DPC?

Love the recent updates, definitely a lot more usable

The mobile header previously had the users avatar and the head icon, now only shows the head icon. Would it be possible to change this to show the users avatar instead of the head icon.

The user avatar showing at the top was one element I really thought looked slick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭archfi

On another Vanilla forum (DigitalSpy), they still start new threads after 20,000 posts - don't know if that's just them or a restriction of the platform.

Example:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2404072/lbc-general-chit-chat-part-38/p1

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I''ll take the lack of reply as a no.

Seclusion is the new norm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lots of improvements on mobile especially over the past few days. Great work to everyone in the office. This can’t be easy to sort through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

The improvements are coming along thankfully. Is there still no way to find my forums on mobile? A list of my followed forums was probably my favourite way to navigate the site.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,233 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you go into Categories then change the view to Following instead of All it should show them.

Direct link here: https://www.boards.ie/categories?followed=1&save=1&TransientKey=A9g0WVkDwlQkixLe

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

Dreadful migration, the site will die. Perhaps that's the goal, if not, I don't know what they were thinking 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is a lot better but very likely too little too late.

Lack of posts in Fantasy Gaming forum on first weekend of Premier League would suggest that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think the soccer forum is too hidden tbh. Posts don't appear on the front page and with notifications not working properly, it's easy to forget about it.

I'd suggest changing it to being a regular forum like all the others, and ban numpties. There was probably a good reason to make it access-only on the old site, but I don't think that holds now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

I think it’s good now.

I think it depends on how you used to navigate the old site. I never used the drop downs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

No thread opens where i left off.

How do i keep track of people complaining in other threads that don't know about feedback if i have to keep looking for last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I know there are workarounds and alternatives but if the little view button on the homepage just had all, my threads, my forums, my followed forums and latest it would be really easy to navigate. Simple in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why are quoted posts always collapsed?

When someone has replied to and quoted another, we have to click to expand the quotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

On desktop the page links show "<<", "1", "...", "99" and ">>" (using this thread as an example), but on mobile it seems to have now gone "<<", "...", "99" and ">>", it appears the option to jump to page 1 on threads has disappeared!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The ability to take you to the quoted post is also missing, however that said oddly enough I have found a quoted post which has an option to do just this with a "view post" link as part of the quote, have only found one instance of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can click on the blue timestamp and it will take you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sorry if it's been asked already. How do you do a poll

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Click/tap the little downward white arrow on the new discussion box. Gives you the option for a poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Thanks. Spent a while looking for it and of course found it as soon as I posted.

Is the default single choice or is there a multiple choice option

Typical!

I just tried one there in the test forum and I can't see an option to make it multiple choice.

Had a look at an existing one too and I can't see a way to amend an existing one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Also, why does the quoted post contain two links to the original, by timestamp and an actual URL?

The limited window of the quotation is further wasted including the link.

How on earth are we supposed to follow the flow of a thread and what people are responding to if the quoted post is hidden beyond 5 lines? We are supposed to click expand on each long-ish quoted post?

Why is the quotation window not the same width as original posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

How do you stop getting notifications for one particular thread that you have previously posted in?

Go into your Profile, then Notifications, then Preferences. There are a *lot* of options to tick/untick - scroll all the way down. If on Mobile, use wide/landscape view to see everything.

Not your ornery onager

Thank you. I know the settings you mean I think, but have only seen options that would affect all threads, mainly:

"Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in"

I want automatic notifications when I post in a thread, but then I want to be able to stop them for individual threads when I get fed up of them. With the old site you could unfollow an individual thread - is that no longer possible?

You have to manually follow a thread by clicking the Star, even if you post in it. A fix is on the list.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Are you aware people can create new accounts using the same name as someone already on boards?

Tap on the yellow star (mobile) or bookmark symbol (desktop) to unfollow a thread

• Advertisement

Really? I get notifications for any threads I post in because I have ticked that option under notifications

"Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in"

I haven't clicked the star for them. My issue is I can't stop these notifications for a single thread.

Think I'll turn them off altogether and try the bookmark star instead. But will need to remember to click it in threads I post in, especially since it's so difficult to find your own previous comments.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement