Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the recent re-vamp will you continue to use boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Used to love being on it. Don't like it now.

As previous posters say its barely usable , hard to navigate.

It would make you wonder what were they doing or did they use it themselves before they landed this bland , awkward trash on us.

Will give it a few more weeks , hopefully somebody will see sense and revamp the whole thing or at least listen to peoples suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I've been barely using the site since the change. I mostly just log in now every couple of days to see if it's usable again. Navigation is painful which just kills the experience for me. I'll keep checking in every now and again to see if things pick up but I think a lot of damage has been done to the user base at this point, and the site may not recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

My interaction with the site has completely stopped since the revamp. The user experience is just so poor.

Once a week or so, I'll check back to see if they've fixed anything - but the UX/bug fixes appear to be running at a glacial pace (if they're happening at all). It really beggars belief that they went live with so many fundamental problems. And then they rely on the community to report ongoing issues - bonkers!

I tried again just now - I really tried - but it's just an exercise in frustration: I commented on a thread this morning, went to revisit that thread just now, went to find it in "My Threads", and it's not there?! See you all again at some point in the future, I can't be arsed with this.

Edit: I've just discovered the bookmark function in the top right of each thread. Still, theads should be auto-subscribed as they were before, and as they are on other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No the EU has been going on about getting rid of daylight savings time for a while now but still there is nothing concrete. They voted in favour of abolishing it in the EU parliament but it still hasnt been written into law and last March they said 'it is not a priority' whatever that means

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/clock-stops-on-eu-plan-to-scrap-daylight-savings-time-1.4521154?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Foffbeat%2Fclock-stops-on-eu-plan-to-scrap-daylight-savings-time-1.4521154

It will still be going ahead on the last Saturday in October and then the last Saturday in March as normal. Maybe some day it will be gone but not just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

No

It's still godawful. There's no pleasure in a brain dead browse and peruse like before the revamp.

A total, utter, unmitigated failure. I've been here since 2005 and it was always easy to use, easy to browse, easy to post.

This? It's a confusing, ugly, clunky mess. I'm so so disappointed with the team(s) behind this. Vanilla should be given a wide berth by anyone else considering using them in future, and the Boards team who greenlit this need serious questions asked of them and their ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Despite their best efforts I am still soldiering on and continuing to try and use the site. Sadly can’t be said for a lot of other people though considering the frequency of new content (quitters!)

sorry if people reply to this - I won’t see it as won’t be able to find this post again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Sorry just wanted to quote your first paragraph but don't know how.

It's taken me 3 days to find my way back to this thread. What a complete fail of a UI

Would love to know Cloud and Devore's thoughts on the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

I have nothing to compare it to as I’m only here a few weeks. Every time I get used to a “fix” it changes shortly afterwards e.g. the category drop down menu was great yesterday but this morning when I try to scroll down it disappears. I can’t get over how helpful the users are in offering advice and solutions. Things have improved since last week so hopefully onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

No

Glad I'm not the only one, I only found it again by sheer luck. I still haven't figured out how to find threads I've recently commented on, kinda defeats the purpose of an internet forum.

Genuinely astonished how this was given the green light, its so poor in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yes

For now, go to you your Profile, scroll to bottom, Comments for your posts, Discussions for your followed threads.

Again for now, you have to explicitly bookmark any new thread you want to follow (by clicking the Star option). Posting in a thread does not automatically follow it under Vanilla. These and other fixes are on the list.

Clicking the Star option on the top banner also brings you to your Bookmarked list.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

No

No email notifications has been a big let down ! Also no way yo navigate various catagories like before

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

No

I always found boards productive for information , not with this set up now . No focal point.

No filter on search ?

Post edited by Briain O Loinsigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I prefer it to the old version to be honest - much tidier and neater sort of like an email account. I particularly like the new 'ignore' button. Before you were tempted into viewing that posters posts who rile you up. Now they are completely blank.

Minor gripes are all these discussions I was involved in historically. Which I had to remove. There were a lot of them!

And I also would prefer a way to edit a posters quote to just refer to a part of it. But at least the way quoted posts collapse it looks tidier.

I can see the logic of how it was all created now at least. I get the feeling many old boardsie's are just adverse to change. I am not saying the new site is perfect by any means. But the way I use it suits me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

How do you unfollow?

I have tried click the flag/bookmark icon. but that just bookmarks and unbookmarks them, they still appear in my notifications regardless of their bookmark status.

I got rid some of them others seem to remain as you said. Maybe one of the mods could interject and tell us how to sort out the discussions page? I have a load more to get rid of.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

As a work around what I did was go to personal preferences and remove email and pop up notifications on my discussions I participated in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thank heaven for your edit.

Now I see how to bookmark discussions.

At least now I can follow threads that I comment on but like you I can't see how having to seek out the bookmark button is an improvement on auto subscribe. .

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

No

The mobile update is horrendous, bring back the old format..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

i am still on here but I don't enjoy it anymore..

i'm still grieving the old site tbh...

I dunno why they don't just scrap this mess of a site and start over with a clean slate on a user friendly platform (like GUBU)... even without the old stuff - who needs it anyway? start over.. we are not allowed to revive old threads much so whats the point in having all the old stuff there? and its not much use when the search function doesn't really work

its criminal really

I know there is always hesitancy and push back to change..

I've given it a go and tried to get used to it..

But I find myself using boards less and less since the update.... it's too hard compared to the previous version to mindlessly browse, pick up on older topics, format posts etc...

I know this will probably be overlooked as "ah sure it's always the people who complain who leave feedback", but I just find the site terrible now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes

happywednesday: I find myself using boards less and less since the update.... it's too hard compared to the previous version to mindlessly browse, pick up on older topics, format posts etc...

This pretty much. I have one forum bookmarked and I check in there as I did previously, but rarely bother to take the time to look elsewhere. It seems many are doing similar, if they're still posting anyway. The lack of the old style simple and working My Forums drop down has been the biggest loss for me, and it seems for many many others. Forget importing previous My Forums settings, just give the old style one back. The new implementation(s) are overly complex, require more clicks and just don't work. Just how difficult was/is it to implement the simple and useful old feature?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No

Ive one thread bookmarked which I'll return to

Everything else has become very difficult to find/use on a phone screen tbh so casual boardsing probably doesnt have the time/amusement payoff it did before the switch

It’s improving around here. Search is still terrible.

The other site is already full of boomers in their 40s complaining about people who are more successful than them working in the media; the minuscule proportion of people who transition to a different sex; and the utter tragedy that is modern traveller society.

The sort of people you met in school that you knew would become boring old no-marks by the time they hit 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

No

Previously and avid user, but have been less so over lockdown. The unwillingness/inability to tackle certain posting behaviours made it less enjoyable and now the new layout etc makes it even less attractive to use - unless I'm on a desktop or laptop which is rare enough these days. Interacting via a phone or tablet is just a pain unless you know exactly where you want to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Yes

I used to enjoy keeping an eye on or following specific posters whose posts / rants across various topics I enjoyed reading. Can't seem to do that anymore!! Definitely a big negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

No

I didn't make any conscious decision but it seems the end of an era for me. I had initially joined 20years ago and then closed my old account but reopened this one a few years later. Over the last few weeks I must have only about 6/7 posts.

Goodbye old friend

• Registered Users Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I clicked on this discussion which I have bookmarked and last visited yesterday and it brought me to a comment posted on last Thursday.

Does Boards think I want to scroll through old posts to read the latest post?

I want to stay but the likes of this is making life difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

No

Back in again to see if I could fix the email notifications every time someone replies to a thread, still haven't seen how.

On the old boards I'd get an email of the 1st reply now i get an email for every reply

No view first unread button, click to view last post not working, navigation is still a mess, very hard to find where i last left off a thread so i just don't bother now.

Likely I'm going to stop coming on faster than I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yes

I received no emails since changeover a few weeks ago. I went into my settings yesterday & made changes so I should be getting emails. Looked in junk folder this morning & fornd them there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm not sure if there's a dedicated feedback thread so I'm going to put my personal gripes here.

One feature I miss is the "All my Posts" section. It was by far the easiest/quickest way to get back to your most recent threads. T'was accessible via one's account name in the top right corner. It has been replaced by all your thanked posts (Reactions) leaving out the one's that weren't thanked meaning you can't use that to get back to some threads.

Even on the old system the "My Threads" and "My Forums" tabs on the main page (which has been kept) was useless because it would list list threads in random order. I was hoping they'd get rid of that altogether and replace it with a list of one's previous posts starting with the most recent going backwards as in the old All_My_Posts section which was positioned in an odd place. Surely that is just basic common sense like if you went into your 'sent' email folder you'd see your sent emails starting with the most recent first.

So that is my biggest gripe of all. It just makes getting to where you want to get to time consuming and thus frustrating. I have to bookmark threads I'm participating in in my browser to speed things up which isn't ideal at all.

Also, I don't see the sense in hovering over the thanked button to see who thanked. An unnecessary step you didn't have to do before. The site is slower than it used to be too although it has improved some.

Advertisement