Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looks like it's just been fixed and more importantly the bright blue is gone! 😋

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's probably on the to do list and mentioned in this thread, but a "mark forum read" would be nice.

I see from yesterdays update you can mark Boards.ie as read.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mortis43

can you not search within a thread anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I am using custom styles to make userinfo more appealing on the page, it uses a fixed width. There is an Issue with long strings in user info. There is only 1 user that that I've spotted which suffers from it too. @Boards.ie: Niamh

The problem with it is the box width is to accommodate user-info with longer than normal strings. "Join Date: September YEAR" is the most common long string. Usernames get wrapped if too long and go onto a new line.

The longest possible box width allows it to sit well on pages but the longest should be dictated by "September YEAR" being the highest character count for Join Date. The extra pixel needed to accommodate "Boards.ie Community Manager" makes shorter user-info not sit well on pages "Join Date: May YEAR" (too much white space).

There doesn't need to be 2 pieces of information with user info to allow users to see what a staff members role is as "Boards.ie" in the username is already identifying that the user is a staff member. I propose replacing "Boards.ie Community Manager" with just "Community Manager" or "Boards.ie Employee" with just "Employee". So I don't have to write more custom styles and find and replace the strings, thank you.

Here it is with sitting right on the page with custom styles:

But here is other staff members:

And users:

and without style:

Post edited by iLikeWaffles on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,838 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Searching within a thread, and Searching within a forum, are the main bits I am missing. Boards is a more an information repository for practical stuff, so trawling archives is really useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

For search results, Sort By Newest still doesn't work. Ironically, Sort By Oldest does work, but I seldom want that! (I looked for mentions on this page and the previous, but of course can't search the complete thread as that's STILL not possible either 🤔)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's the same on mobile for me too. The button to create a new thread is not there and I never modded on mobile. What's that about?

This has been annoying me for some time and is also an easy fix:

The top border in the reply box does not show. It is there alright the margin is just blocking it.

/* Reply Box Border */
    .userContent.userContent, .UserContent.UserContent {
      position: relative;
      width: 100%;
      word-break: break-word;
      color: rgb(85, 90, 98);
      font-size: 16px;
      line-height: 1.5;
      margin-top: -0.25em; /* ←   ← 0 should fix */
      display: block !important;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

Where are Forum Tools: Mark all as read, Forum Tools: Search within forum and Forum Tools: Search within thread? (desktop)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The only thing I can suggest is to try a different browser? For sure my problem on desktop was custom CSS being applied by the Stylus extension. On mobile the ‘New Discussion’ is at the bottom of pages for me (Safari on iOS).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can we please get

Latest Posts: My Forums: My Threads

along the top of the mobile touch site as it always was.

It is really painful to use the touch site at the moment. So many more clicks and scrolling needed to get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Things I'd like to be able to do:

1. Get my own or another poster's full post history, filterable by forum, viewing posts which quote my posts/ their posts etc, just as it was pre-migration.
    2. Edit the post I am quoting so that I can include only the relevant part.
    3. See who started a thread while in 'Discussions/My Forums' - you can see this in the relevant forum itself, and in the 'Latest posts' page also but not from those pages.

Seeing an issue with merged threads. When a thread is merged to another any quotes referencing the original post of that merged thread lose the link to the original post. If you click into a quoted OP it brings you to the end of the thread it was merged into and not the point in the merged thread that the OP was merged at. If I can flag my post I'll attach an example.

Any participants can easily miss that the thread was merged as clicking into it from a notification automatically brings you to the merged thread which is terrible for 2 reasons: 1) the posters from the OP are now opened to mega threads were many people seeing the thread are able see the post's. 2) As far as the people that are participating in the mega thread are concerned the OP and following replies just get a sudden influx of responses, even were a poster could be in the middle of replying to another, there may be missed context. There is no notice on the merged post that says the thread was merged. Only if you see the link on the forum it puts merged in the title of the thread, the title of the thread also doesn't carry over to the merged original post.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

On the previous platform you were taken to the OP of the "surviving" thread

I've just checked an example in the Coronavirus forum, and when I first clicked it took me to the last place I had been within those two threads. When I went to the final page and then clicked via the merged thread again it took me back to the final page.

Hence it's no "worse" than the old platform, and arguably marginally better

That's the same thread. No idea the posts had been merged. What should happen is the original thread should be closed first then merged. Any notifications should be directed to the closed thread so you can see the lock icon when you go to reply and the link to the now merged thread, also there should be a link to the closed thread in the original post where it has been merged so people participating in the thread can see that posts have been merged. As it stands the notifications you do get have the original thread in the title even though they are in a different thread and even though the notification of being mentioned is in the merged thread with the new title. None the wiser the thread has merged. It is going to cause issues with cross-posts and or disagreements, which is more work for moderators to do. I even reported a post for being off topic to the original posters query so that's more added confusion for moderators. At the very least a thread you posted in being closed should come up as a notification.

That is arguably much worse than the old platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

There is an intel thread in afterhours. User "Brian?" posted something. I clicked on his name and sent him a message. It appears it went a different user "Brian" (no question mark)

He tells me wrong person. Something wrong there.

This is the Brian you are looking for: https://www.boards.ie/profile/discussions/Brian%3F

It is because of the use of the ? in the username %3F is reserved for ? while a ? mark is reserved for an empty space "_" in a URL the browser deletes the extra or empty space so it redirects to "Brain". "Brian?" or usernames with ending with a "?" will always have this issue if an image is clicked to get to their profile. So nice catch!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have read here that users with certain 'non-standard' characters in their username, or with less than three characters in their name were having other related problems since the move to Vanilla.

@Boards.ie: Niamh I think may be aware of this and may be able to 'fix' individual usernames with agreement.

There is definitely a cohort of users with such issues.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Is anyone else having problems with PMs? They don't load for me since Friday and clicking 'All Messages' does nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

All fine here.

Well, error displayed as on the screenshot you posted, but clicking at "All messages" brings me to the inbox.

Opera on win7 ultimate 64bit.

Could someone post a link to the inbox I can click? I can't find any other place on the site to access the inbox apart from the All Messages box. Thanks.

Get that too. But clicking All Messages works.

My Forums on homepage tabs keeps disappearing after been clicked.

If, in a moment of weakness, you click on a post from an ignored user, it removes that user from your ignore list. Which makes the ignore feature pretty useless (it's also limited to 50 names and there's a lot more bozos than that about!)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

How do I quote a section of a post ?

I seem to be unable to edit the quoted post and I may not wish to the post in toto.

That's what was happening for me yesterday, tried it again just now and it didn't happen. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Could just be me being a complete eejit but when I click on my followed threads with new posts, I'm brought to the top of the page the vast majority of the time. Once in a blue moon, it goes directly to the newest post since I last visited but most of the time I have to scroll down and try to remember which posts I've read already. Any suggestions or is it a bug type issue?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement