Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

This makes fûck all sense to me! Just give the admittance numbers for those actually admitted because of covid!! Nothing else!

Between lack of capacity in hospitals potentially disrupting everything and threats of power cuts this winter, due to inability to manage planning of demand and a legal case over competition blocking emergency capacity, and a huge and somehow just passively accepted housing crisis, Ireland is looking less and less attractive by the day.

I’m kinda wondering is it time to start looking at jobs abroad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

This is a joke statement. They're trying to make it sound like 92% are there for treatment for Covid when in fact they are just saying 92% have symptoms. If they can sya that then surely they can say how many are in hospital primarily for Covid treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭brickster69

Don't forget capacity for testing ? I mean, who would think that by doing that you could actually find more positive people and isolate them so they stop running around passing it on to others.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

it is a joke! Can’t be that hard to count how many actually admitted because they needed treatment for covid! Me looking at this now makes the hospital numbers pointless! How many are just getting paracetamol as treatment????

anyone else notice as well NPHET have been relatively quiet except for a few bits on Twitter? they obviously know the exact situation. They haven’t met in 3 weeks and no press conference in nearly 4 weeks. Which is good…

• Advertisement

Like I said before, the HSE and NPHET will never be truthful about the hospital numbers. Paracetamol is a treatment.

How many receiving treatment are just getting a few paracetamol a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That tweet is taking the piss. Another "journalist" that hasn't got the balls to investigate and report on meaningful figures

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's an article in the Business Post today warning that eirgrid are looking at the possibility of not being able to meet power needs this winter with blackouts and brownouts being a possibility.

At it's core it's just like the fact the HSE is on the brink. Laziness and incompetence leading to a failure to plan for future eventualities. Irish governance is riddled with incompetence and a laissez-faire "shur it'll be grand" attitude.

Not to mention the absolute state of the housing situation and other things like a chronically underfunded and underinvested public transport system: Ireland is an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The breakdown of the 92% is literally what people had asked about - admitted with vs. caught in hospital, or admitted + tested positive as a result of testing all on admission. Information that is likely retrievable within minutes in any competent system. 'Treated' is also rather vague as it could mean anything from taking paracetamol for those in for another reason but have mild symptoms nonetheless (that typically wouldn't need hospitalisation but they are there either ways), to the more obvious oxygen etc. for those completely struck down with the virus.

Like it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things because the main problem in the HSE is a capacity issue, not a COVID one, so the breakdown is meaningless really when its the total number for all reasons putting pressure on the system.

But it is just hilarious why there is such an issue with providing the info. Ah well, as I said, doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Paul Reid has experessed his deepest concerns with rising Covid cases. I'd say that the days of our freedom are numbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Maybe he should shift some of his concern to the state of the health service that he's supposedly running

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

They've had 18 months to augment the capacity in hospitals and they've done.... **** all.

Don't make us suffer because they're still as useless as they've always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The pandemic has put the kybosh on that for now. All he has done to date is reorganise hospital groups and asked for loadsa money. They did manage to deal with 2,000 odd COVID cases in hospital in January, including 200 or so in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Yup - it very much seems like this is the case…I remember before pandemic they would be noise on the news about lack of hospital beds….I never paid too much attention to be fair….It’s got my attention now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Increasing ICU capacity is not as simple as people think. It takes 2 years post-registration to train ICU nurses. Similarly, it takes 8 years post internship (ie post-degree) to fully train an intensivist. Time aside, it is impossible to recruit people to this area. It is high stakes, constant stress, with a burnout rate of 70% for ICU professionals. It is one of the few areas of medicine where there is regular vacancies waiting to be filled. Finally, the actual cost of keeping even 1 extra patient is astounding. People think that the government should just wave a wand and fix the ICU problem. It’s not that simple. And you are literally dealing with the sickest, most deranged patients in the hospital. A random nurse or doctor just cannot provide the quality of care that we would expect for a loved-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,312 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We simply can't afford lockdowns cause of this issue and the fact mental health of people will sky rocket

I was reacting to people’s comment that we should have upscaled our ICU capacity for the winter. If things were simple then they would be solved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭prunudo

They were warned about lack of icu capacity over 10 years ago. We're 18 months into this and we're still waiting so while I accept that it takes time, that contuined excuse is wearing thin.

1,758 cases, 248 in hospital and 48 in ICU.

Ireland has had an ICU deficit for decades. This isn't a new issue, but the consequences of years of inaction and failure to act are now coming home to roost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Polar101

Western healthcare systems aren't really built for epidemics, which is one of the reasons for all the problems the current epimedic is causing in hospitals.

But then again, it's been 18 months already so there has been time to adapt. And I'm still not too sure what our healthcare system is built for. Hopefully the situation doesn't get too much worse.

10-15 years ago, if people were over 70, they would really struggle to get into ICU. Currently, with people living longer and in better conditions, the expectations and goals of therapy are changing. This unprecedented surge in demand has not been occurring for decades.

Let's use your timeline. We haven't done enough in the last 10-15 years to increase capacity. We have less capacity than the EU average and languish at the bottom of the pile. That you can try to defend this is all that is wrong with this country and why those in charge don't have to fear being held accountable. In April 2020 we had the 3rd lowest ICU capacity in the OECD. You think that is acceptable??

We're being softened up for extended restrictions for the winter.

Definitions will vary. Not all critical care beds will mean the same thing across countries. The level of expertise of our ICU staff in Ireland is one of the highest in Europe, and I dare say the world. In some countries, after 4-5 years, they call them consultants. The care that our ICU nurses and doctors deliver is quality! We have very good outcomes for our ICU patients versus other countries.

They are actively increasing the numbers and the plan over the coming years is to increase further. This is not a problem solved over night.

Are you willing to go higher with the taxes to create more ICU beds? It certainly won’t be cheap!

Read an interesting article in the NYT today. There is a dearth of ICU staff in the US and they are struggling to find them. This is not a local problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Agreed. our ICU workers are quality. But we obviously need more of them. HSE are increasing capacity solely on account of how this pandemic has shone a spotlight on poor capacity compared to other countries, despite this issue being highlighted more than ten years ago. So it’s always been doable.

Taxes need not be increased to fund this, HSE needs to clean house be more efficient with its large budget.

Had they started the process of improvement ten years ago we would have relaxed restrictions in tandem with other countries at same stage of waves. Scandalous waste of billions of Euros.

I honestly don't think so. Reid is reflecting a relevant concern at this time. It's no different to other occasions of concern and cases will fall in due course. The positive briefing a few weeks back did mention treating COVID as a part of general public health in the same way as they do flu'. The emergency part of this is coming to an end and we'll be back to the usual HSE crisis management.

Post edited by is_that_so on

Let's see. The "roadmap" will tell alot. I'll predict it won't have specifics in terms of dates and will be laden down with caveats. I'd love to share your optimism that this will be all over soon.

However the actions of those in charge tell a different story. We're heading into late August and still at the point that 500 is the maximum permitted at a sporting event I Ireland outside of pilot events. The fact those are still a thing is mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Their last ''roadmap-living with Covid'' has failed dramatically. It did not even get a chance to start.. Tony came back to office a day earlier and then shite hit the fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Plan over the coming years, newsflash!! That plan was outlined many years ago and fcuk all done about it, the HSE is a basket case plain and simple and will NEVER be fixed. Why ? The people of this country will except any old shîte and most certainly believe anything they’re told. Increase taxes? Sure go ahead if you think that’s not going to happen soon you’re a fool. HoldFirm, InThisTogether, This is us, The new normal… would they ever fcuk off with this tripe.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Advertisement