Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Only Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Struggling to process that tbh...at no time during the game did I envisage us winning.

I'll need to listen to every podcast possible this week to figure out what happened :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

We should never forget what James Horan has done for Mayo football. Not alone did he take us from our darkest days and build up one hell of a side that went toe to toe with the greatest team of all time, but when the time was right he wasn't afraid to tear it all down and rebuild. In the past his in game tactical responses have been questioned, but today, along with taking off his captain; bringing on Enda Hession for Darren MacHale was a tactical masterpiece. Whatever may happen next day out, this group has earned the right to be there, and the opportunity to forge their name into the history books for eternity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

I'd say like everyone we we're hoping more than believing we could have another second half like the Galway game. And we did and then some. An unbelievable feeling. Roll on the final. HON Mayo.

Was Horan’s tactic to keep in touch and then run them in the second half as he knew we had the legs? Looking back at the first half, as much as Dublin controlled possession it was our own failings which left us 6 behind. But for Aido’s misses and a few poor turnovers we could have been within a couple points at HT. Their level of fitness is unreal, but feel we need to run Kerry from the off.

The other thing I noted was the faces on the players as they returned for extra time, exemplified by O’Hora in particular. It was like they knew they had them and were loving every minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

That experience today was just insane. Greatest day in Croke Park without a doubt. Will need to watch it back as it was just a blur. The atmosphere was just insane, I know the voice will be gone until the end of next week but it's a small sacrifice.

These boys just never give up, they were dead and buried at HT. Padraig O'Hora put on a clinic today, he was bloody awesome. Touch tight all day bar once lapse early on. After all the stick Robbie has taken over the years you have to be delighted for him. What a kick!

Oh the Green and Red of Mayo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Well done Mayo, delighted for the team and fans after all the heartbreak over the years, If they don't win Sam this year after that display today, they will never win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,625 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well Done Mayo

Could Biden have lifted the curse 😉

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Take a bow, Diarmuid O'Connor. He gives up on this and Mayo probably go out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Looking forward to Gift grub on Monday Morning….I am not Morgan Freeman…but I Love the GAA😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I agree..left everything on the field as they all did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

The only thing you got right there was to congratulate Mayo on a great win. Not one of the Dublin medals is tainted. They are ordinary fellas who have given a huge amount to the game and their communities.

It was a pity how it ended for them. There was just nothing left in the tank. The tackles became lazy but not filthy. Pulling down a player is what any player would do. Small tackle was not a card but McCarthys was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In retrospect it looks like it. The thought crossed my mind at half time but I decided we were just rubbish in the first half😜

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

What a day to be in Croker!

Wonderful self belief by this band of brothers.

They don't grasp the concept of a defeatist attitude,written off by many including myself.

Let's bloody win the thing now!

Going to enjoy rebooting tonight post a draining day and watch it all back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

This whole *** nonsense is such bull. I can guarantee you whoever wins the all Ireland will enjoy it and will mean just as much as any previous all Ireland since the GAA was formed.

Imagine the interview after the game, so Aidan you've finally got over the line after beating Dublin along the way and winning Connacht.

Ah yeah, sure this one has a big * beside it so it doesnt count y'know. We will hopefully try and win a "real" one next year.

Get away outta that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Firstly huge congrats to Mayo. A fully deserved win although it didnt look on at half time but I seem to remember a famous Mayo comeback from a few years ago and it crossed my mind today at half time.

As a Dublin follower Im disappointed at how it ended for us. The discipline went with their legs but I was delighted Tomas O'Se pointed out the fact Dublin stayed on the field and shook hands and hugged Mayo players. It was uncharacteristic of this group of players. No genuine Dublin fan or GAA fan will begrudge this Mayo squad.

I said it many times before if Mayo go and play their own game they can beat any team. Full of great talent and ability. I was delighted for Hennelley (altough not at the time he kicked that score). Took some balls for him to do that. Also James Horan who has rebuilt this squad. I wondered why he went back but he obviously knew the talent was there and he is getting the best out of them. Also Kevin McLoughlin, what a great score today. He is my favourite player outside Dublin.

I had tipped Mayo to beat Dublin today. There just seems to be a better balance to the team. In the absence of Cillian O'Connor and when taken off Aidan O'Se lads had to stand up and in fairness every player did. Maybe there is something in that as pressure is always on O'Se and C O'C to deliver big performances and when they dont it might have a negative impact on others. Today the Mayo lads played with flair and attacked which is their strength.The possession game has its place and Mayo used it to perfection in last few minutes and rightly so. They saw out the game perfectly and deserve great credit for that.

I wish all you Mayo people the best of luck in the final and hopefully the long wait will be over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Neutral party here but was hoping for a mayo win, what a performance.

Serious bottle from Hennelly to nail that kick after fluffing the first attempt. Bench was fantastic today bar C O'S. Not up to standard atall IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

What a day. What a team. Couldn't be any prouder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

The hangover is going to be bad in the morning.

I'll take it any day so so proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I did not see that coming.

I certainly did not see it coming at HT.

Mayo are box-office, pure and simple.

Really thought Dublin came out of the blocks with a point to prove, as in "we are not in decline"

And it looked like that, they did what Mayo usually do, hit hard, turn over ball and score from it

But what surprised me was they only had 35mins of that in them the rest was all Mayo.

I think this team are well up for taking on Kerry.

If Mayo can bring intensity and energy they will be able to run at Kerry and open up what is both a porous and untested defense.

No sign of a goal from either team all day, makes a change from last year's semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I wrote it before Mayo won :)

But seriously, I'd not expect a player to take any heed of an alleged * but there will be plenty of interlopers here if Mayo were to win it mentioning *s and what not.

Personally speaking any team that beats Dublin and Kerry to win an All Ireland (which Mayo would have to do) deserves credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dublin have no pace that was the problem... it would drive a fella to drink....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The nights still young, have to watch it back yet 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

So proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Haha, you're a gas man. ok so. At least now I know to not take tou seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Did it actually happen? Feels like a dream... hands down, my best croke park experience ever. What a night. Love the team, love mayo. ❤️

Something that James Horan accused of and quite rightly so ( poor on the line/tactically naive ).

He was inspired and ruthless on the line today.

Enda Hession was superb.

Calling Aidan O Shea ashore was the right call.

He was totally off colour and the substitution allowed us to solely revert to our running game without any slowdowns.Reintroduced him for the last few high balls.

Hats off to all the lads today but in particular Leeroy who was mentioned as a potential weak point in the run up given the 2019 semi final O Callaghan goal fest,mileage on the clock and recent injury.

Oft criticised and some very bad experiences in Croke Park Robert Hennelly was excellent today.

Padraig O Hora,Paddy and a man who rarely gets the headlines Stephen Coen take your hats off.

Diarmuid was everywhere and his input into Kevin Mc's point encapsulated his performance.

Ryan and Tommy up front,we knew how special these 2 lads were.

Youth has no fear.

Great to see Brendan Harrison out on the pitch and Oisin out amongst his brethren post match.

Our bench was phenomenal and the pace James Horan has in this team is frightening.

Second half on we were excellent and our shooting improved but such a shot conversion ratio will not suffice the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

We hammered the hammer in the extra time. I was afraid to say it out loud, but I kinda knew at the time we had them collared. We played them at their own game for that extra time period, and they didn't like it one bit. Amazing to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

What a morning. Can't praise this team enough and hats off to James Horan. I've always been critical of his in-play tactics but yesterday he was superb. Absolutely ruthless.

Only downer is the performance - or lack of - from Conor Lane. Absolutely pathetic and how he can actually allow himself to continue when he's so poor is unbelievable. If I was that **** at my job I'd be looking elsewhere.

Eoghan Mc with a double jaw fracture and not even a booking.

A bit of a dampener, but apparently Eoghan McLoughlin's jaw is fractured. Conor Lane and the other officials seriously need to be looked at. Lane is not a competent ref at this level, and has shown as much time and again. His refereeing display was shocking yesterday, but it's not the first time. He should absolutely not be refereeing major championship matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Not a big fan of the green and red of mayo, but yesterday it felt like the greatest song ever sung, in the greatest stadium ever built serenading one of our greatest victories ever. What a team, one of those days never to be forgotten from a team that keeps on giving. Maigheo abú.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I always felt a lot of the narrative about keegan and ocallaghan was kinda bs to be honest. This spiel about him 'destroying keegan' was overplayed. He had actually done well on callaghan in the first half and got shoved in the back after getting out in front of him for the first goal. He then got sold a good dummy by a lad he hadnt marked before - that is basically it. The rhetoric was more to do with circumstance, and maybe the dubs needing to scratch the itch that was keegan. The same is true of the stuff about keegan being a dirty player.

Yesterday keegan showed what he was about. As did hennelly, coen, conroy, k mcloughlin, loftus, oconnor - all guys who had been harshly criticised and even written off after dublin games previously. Each stood up at big moments and looked for the responsibility - and delivered. It showed a level of bravery and honesty that speaks volumes about them as people. They didnt ask for redemption, they just took it.

Ironically, they will now be the 'clutch players', the 'marquee forwards' etc that before they were told they would never be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Redemption for Robbie.

I’ve been so happy to be so wrong .

Unbelievable bottle from him . 

So many others to mention . Too many.

But I’ll got for two anyways 

Diarmuid . Always a man who plays his best when those around him are struggling. To keep that ball in at the end line when everyone else had given up on it. That was THE moment for me when I said “Maybe, just maybe…….”

Tommy Conroy. Such a mature performance. Asked to play a different role which he did . And then came up with 3 monster points (I think it was 3)

The Real Deal from The Neale!

Up Mayo

Absolutely buzzing 

Yes, must give props to Robbie Hennelly. Absolute redemption and vindication. Delighted for him. Stood up when we needed him and showed great bottle. Terrific goalkeeping performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Very disappointing and yet another man gone for the final. I think it could usually take months for that to come fully right especially if surgery is required. Just hope he gets back to full health first and then worry about football afterwards.

Absolutely wish him a speedy recovery. But that Lane waved play on when a man was clearly prone on the ground needs looking at. Was an absolutely ridiculous call to continue play, whether he saw the foul or not. Deegan not much use on the sideline either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well done yesterday folks, the better team overall won. Will be cheering you on for the final, hopefully it'll be a full house for you all.

Disappointed that our run came to an end, but I was actually somewhat prepared for it this year, the loss wasn't a surprise. The second half malaise that Dublin have been displaying all year had me thinking that it wasn't our year, so I wasn't going to believe that we'd win yesterday until we showed some kind of response in the second half, and they just.... didn't. Worked hard, but not smart, and then just ran out out steam to go with the lack of ideas.

One hundred percent.

Hopefully he returns to the fullness of health very soon.

Tad blinkered in my joy post contest and match review.

Dublin excelled in the first half although our no goals conceded set up/sweeper contributed to same.

In spite of all that we had some atrocious wides.

Their possession based game though drove me to boredom in the stand,rather than going for the jugular they were happy to protect their lead or go for it only a nigh 100% shot.

Their on the front game was far superior,perhaps the legs and bench are no longer there to sustain it.

Although we bossed the game post half time I've a huge concern going in the final re our shooting.Taking off the rose tainted glasses and amidst all the intensity and excitement for large portions it was a poor quality contest.

Ryan and Tommy are pure quality as we've known for several years.James Carr,Darren Coen blow very hot and cold.

James has a big decision to make re Aidan,does he start?

Eoghan's loss is an monumental blow.Enda Hession post yesterday has a strong case to start,phenomenal pace.He added so much as a carrier on his intro.

Or Rory Brickendon?

As wonderful as it was to be the team to finally take them down,that's history.

It will be tough to down the Kingdom but that's what faces us in our unlucky for some 13th attempt including replays since 1989 at reaching the Holy Grail and bringing Sam west.

Thankfully I do not have a superstitious bone in my body.

Probably not the thread to talk about it, but do incidents like this not make the case for the dreaded VAR in GAA? Easy for any ref to miss something like that in a split second, and the ref can't just assume the challenge must have been malicious because the player oooks to have sustained a serious injury. Obviously you can have post-match disciplinary reviews, but that would be of litlle interest to the team on the receiving end of the foul play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Agreed. Maybe not a foul in the strictest sense, but when a guy goes down like that it generally gets blown up. Even if only a hop ball. It is hard to fathom how he let the play go there. A real red flag that he didnt stop it.

Re his other decisions, it is probably hard for him to spot everything, but the guys on the line surely have a perfect view of the byrne and mccarthy incidents? Deegan seems to be no addition at all. He just misses everything and offers no help to the ref. The schmozzle at the end was totally contrived to get him to blow up the game early. Mccarthy gets red, mcmahon gets yellow, kick the ball out please mr goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Saw Ruane wearing a boot on Instagram, Assuming it's just preventative

Yikes the news re the extent of Eoghan McLaughlin's injuries is heartbreaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did I miss much.

Was hopeful until I heard Mullin was out took wind out of the sail.

First half was messy. We looked off the pace totally and without plan.

Horan played it very well. I was shocked with AOS was taken off but it changed the game.

Robbie I've been a big critic but I really hope yesterday will wipe away every err that's been there. He was outstanding.

To a man they were immense. I loved OHora interview about it's a team.

Now we calm and go finish this.

I didn't fear Dublin up until the point Mullin got injured. With Kerry their forward line could destroy us but I still expect us to put up a big battle and the bench will be critical.

Hope we get some injuries sorted 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Delighted with that win, which we won playing poorly for large parts of the game. Plenty to work on for the final.

i defended Lane the last day out but he was appalling last night.

Terrible news about Eoghan. Wishing him all the best in his recovery.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Met a few decent dubs fans after the game. There's some bad vibes over the years but they took their beating well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Whats the story re EOD's injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Advertisement

First half was messy. We looked off the pace totally and without plan.

The question is was it a plan so cunningly disguised it looked like the complete absence of one, i.e. sit back, let Dublin have most of the ball, hope to concede as few scores as possible then come out and play our usual high tempo game in the second half when Dublin are hopefully starting to tire. Doesn't sound like James Horan but if he had gone about things his usual way it would likely have ended up like

Advertisement