Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smyths Toys Click and Collect

Options
  • 04-07-2021 12:20pm

My eldest is big into collecting a particular toy line that is very hard to find online or in-store. As luck would have it, I found some of the toys (only one item in stock per figure) in a Smyths Toys outlet, available only on a click and collect basis.

I’ve ordered and paid for the toys, to secure them. But I won’t be able to collect them in person as my whole family is currently outside Ireland. A neighbor has kindly agreed to collect them for me, but I’m worried that Smyths won’t give them to him, as he doesn’t have the credit card that was used to order them, and he isn’t me. My worry stems from the policy on the Smyths website which says that proof of ID and the credit card used to make the purchase must be presented upon collection.

Have any parents here faced this issue with Smyths? If so, how did it go? I’ve tried calling the shop many times, but they’re not picking up, and they don’t have a generic corporate phone line. I have sent an email but it might take a few days to get a reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭passatman86

Send/forward your friend the e-mail confirmation from smyths of the purchase

Your friend could walk into smyths with the e-mail on their phone and show the person at the counter

I was never asked to show a bank card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Let him take your credit card as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

My mum collected all my Christmas shopping in Smyths for me. She had a copy of the order e-mail on her phone, they didn't look for anything else.

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

They just need to scan the barcode from the order. They don't care who collects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’ve gotten a friend to collect stuff before, nobody cared, I just sent her the email confirmation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Have had my husband and mum collect orders from smyths click and collect for me. I'm sure it would be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Haithabu

Is Smyths Toys Click & Collect considered an online purchase ? I bought a tricycle there yesterday, paid online and collected at the store without hassle. I put it together just now but even if the parts click nicely together it's wobbly all over. It says it has a steel frame but it's mainly a plastic tricycle and there is no way I put my child into that.

If I would have had a look in store I would not have bought it. For online purchase I have 14 days to return an item, I wonder if that applies to click and collect as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

Thanks a lot, I tried to find the legal part online somewhere but i can only find the regulations for online purchase and and in-store purchase, I can not find the part where it says that click and collect is considered an online purchase. Would you, by any chance, have a link or a reference that I could use when I reply to Smyth's Toys ? I had given them my scenario but they advised that as "this was collected in our store and comes from the stock in the store, it is considered an in-store purchase. Please note that the decision to accept a return is at the discretion of a store manager."

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭turnfan

C+C is distance selling, as you make the agreement online - so you get the same 14 day protection that is afforded to online selling, phone selling etc.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/shopping_online.html

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for that, I could not find anything on that link on C+C actually (unless I missed it)

As per Smyth's Toys, my scenario is not considered a distance selling. As per them it was collected in store; therefore they say it is an in-store purchase.

Advertisement