Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temperature is only one part, but as TM will tell you, things are dangerously hotting up. Here is Casement's August temp trend (I believe TM lives around that area) and it is clearly getting warmer, and yet we have people, who from one side of their mouth yell about the perils of global warming, but from the other complaining about how cold it is in a month that is getting dangerously hotter because of global warming. This is contradiction 101.

New Moon

You can't answer my simple question then. Fine, I'll respond no more, but I'll continue to silently note your double standards.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Slightly off topic (I won't get involved in the CC discussion) but the Casement mean temp data seems to only go to 2019 there, not 2020 as the title would suggest.

Also note how the mean temperature in August has not reached or exceeded 16C since 2003/04 there and how many of these recent mild or warmer than 'normal' Augusts were because of mean minima rather than mean maxima? (Aug 2008 was an infamous example of this) I find mean maxima a much more telling figure for summer rather than mean temperature.

You are right Syran, that was my mistake re the year date, which indeed only goes as far as 2019. 2020's value, which i have here as per the average between daily max and min as 15.6c, which is also above the long term average.

I note what you say above regarding maxima/minima, but there is a long term trend here that suggests that cool Augusts are becoming less frequent, and that warmer ones are. We have been told this is dangerous trend, and I say, so be it. If we are to play by the rules set out for us by today's self appointed preachers of all that is good and pure, then play by those rules we shall.

Edit, and that 15.6c I mentioned should read 15.1c, lower, but still above. Another mistake.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

The temperatures so far are lower than average. 1st week was 0.5 lower and second week was 0.6 lower. Now we will have to see how it pans out overall for the month but it has also been wetter than average.

Highest temperature for month so far only 22 degrees when usual high for Aigust is 26. Yep its not over yet but we definitely not reaching it potential so far for a summer month, but that's August for you it never does.

Temps are generally close to average for the month. Some places a little cooler, some a little warmer. This chart shows the first 2 week (1st to 14th) average for the Met Eireann stations that report the 'Ag Reports'.

On balance, it is wetter than normal as you say in most places. but not everywhere either.

We have to accept now that warm summer days come at a cost. Every data point matters and the trend, which I posted up, is clear. The only way we can get back to a safe long term average is for us to have many years of colder than average weather. We are in 'Code Red for Humanity' territory now. So forget about enjoying a nice warm day now, because you doing so is you being complicit in our inevitable destruction.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

'So forget about enjoying a nice warm day now, because you doing so is you being complicit in our inevitable destruction.'

Off his trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cool dark morning in Leitrim. Chilly wind first thing.

'Off his trolly'.

The Guardian says otherwise..

It’s now or never: Scientists warn time of reckoning has come for the planet | Climate change | The Guardian

And yesterday was yet another warmer than average day over Ireland because of apocalyptic climate change. 😢😥

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

Where is this heat wave that we wer suppose to get in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Will you feck off from this chat, it's natural all so called climate change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Feeling cool the last few days but after that hot spell its bound to feel cold, fingers crossed September will be a good month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

The Summer of the constant Northwesterly continues in Sligo. If its still Summer. Quite a chill now with mist like November

Last week looked dry and a bit sunny with a stray shower for today. Then at weekend forecast moved to light isolated showers. Nowcast on yr.no has 9.2mm for Sligo today. 5mm so far today.

Next week does look a better week. Even here. Even might be no Northerly or Northwesterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

A Novembers day out there today in Dublin 24. Gusty, dark and a little on the cool side.

Really poor August so far. I've 3 weeks in the sun to look forward to in a few weeks thankgod!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Absolute joke of a month so far, might as well be December as it's been too unpleasant to spend any time outdoors most days

so no heatwave this August?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

I should know better than to believe it but there was an article in the independent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The weekend just gone was very poor. Spent the full weekend in Dublin and it was wet and chilly all Saturday and heavy showers on Sunday and still on the cool side. I thought it was just me who was putting on the heat every now and then over the past few weeks but my friends had their heating on full time on Saturday and turned it off Sunday afternoon once the showers had cleared away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

This low level grey stuff needs to leave, like now!

Mad depressing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very unlikely at this point. We may have a few dryer and slightly warmer days next week. A warm spell has been in the models for several weeks but keeps getting pushed back and watered down.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Clear and sunny in Greystones. Breezy.

ME said that there could be high temps from Aug 15th.. 3rd week Aug.. something about the Azores.. but I see that there is loads of rain in the FC for the weekend grrr - yday was cold here - 13 deg last night.. so looking like their prediction was inaccurate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Did we not literally discuss this a few posts ago and that it was the media exaggerating as usual?

i have not read the whole thread... do not have the time for that unfortunately.. I read it on ME - not in media

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm outdoors for most of this week + so much cooler than other weeks this summer.

The only positive is at least only drizzle rather than rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just cycled home from pub and its freezing in Dublin, I cant ever remember it being this bad in August but recency bias and all that

This August has been dire, worse than last August and on par with July 2020 for cool temperatures, rain and an almost complete absence of sunshine. The coming week is starting to trend very unsettled too with no shortage of rainfall over the coming week, particularly this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,945 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

18th of August and I don't think I've seen the sun since July, totally depressing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement