Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't think it was done deliberately from listening to Dessies interviews that is what I think anyway.

The players basically lack pace now or more precisely pace, knowhow and composure. It used to be all those three. Fellas have to support the fast runners as well.

There seems to be no support options right or left etc like there used to be. Few fast interchanges and switches of play

I have come to the conclusion that they are not able to do it anymore. Look at the lads that have gone Kevin Mc, Jack Mc, Connolly, Bernard Brogan etc Fellas who could skin an opponent.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I genuinely don't understand what that was about. Completely ineffective in every game this year. And yet, it was working early in the first half today.

First championship loss in 7 years. That one hurt but it lead to the greatest team of all time developing. I'll take this one.

COYBIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The better team definitely won, really hope Mayo go on and do it. Still can't wrap my head around how Dublin only scored 4 points in 55 minutes(2nd half plus extra time)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

is there any gym work been done at the ‘expense’ of skills training I wonder though, . When I see the guys in the gym I see at the times I go it’s just individual training...I wonder is there team sessions ?

i too would rather them on grass too perfecting skills and tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

They will be back next year to win it in front of a packed Croke Park.

Fair play to Mayo but that was their final today.

Kerry will walk through them and win comfortably.

Post edited by orecir on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jesus Christ, even when we lose it's not enough for some over in the car crash thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Trey13

Some thoughts about the last 10 years. I was at the final in 2011 and at the game tonight. The great Dublin era has definitely ended. People will argue all day and night about the advantages, cars, food, recovery, gym etc. Dublin have no extra advantage over Mayo Kerry or Tyrone. There are massive advantages in population, and in most areas over probably 26/27 of the counties, but the set up between the top 4/5 counties are all the same.

What separated Dublin from the rest over the last few years was the marriage of several senior players, Cluxton, Brogan, McCarthy, McMahon etc with a once in a generation crop from the 1993-1994 cohort, Mannion, Kilkenny, Fenton, Scully etc. Once the older lads started dropping off, along with Mannion and McCaffrey, we would always be weakened.

The talent coming through is nowhere near the level that people outside Dublin think it is. Look at the squad today how many players under the age of 21/22 were there? Very few. No disrespect to the new lads, but they’re not on the same level as the guys over the last 10 years.

We won’t dominate like people outside of Dublin expect. I don’t see us winning an All-Ireland in the next 2-3 years. The talent is not there. Leinster is extremely weak, but there are 3/4 counties that can beat us now.

This post is spot on and what was going through my head around the 60 minute mark...

the lack of support runners, the player with the ball left in isolation with two or three opposition players converging and only able to stop and or retreat...no runners showing.

Also an attacking plan B ? With Mayo getting ‘physical’ on and off the ball with our forwards... it was repetitive failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Based on performances this year, and the continued likely improvements in Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone, it's not a given at all that Dublin will win next year, they'll certainly be in the mix but they need a few new players to come though or some of those on the panel to step up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

People have been saying this every time that Mayo gets to the final, and then they massively up it, with Dublin barely beating them in the end. I've no doubt that Kerry will give them a better game than we have, but the idea that Mayo are done already is just silly.

Anyway, our run had to end sometime, and this year was clearly it. Don't know about the rest of you, but the malaise that's been evident all year long told me it wasn't our year, so I was well prepared for the loss. Best of luck to Mayo in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would expect us to be in the mix without winning it for the next 2 or 3 three years . It will take time to identify and get newer lads up to the level it would require .Not sure how long the manager will stay that could be a factor as well . All the talk of a conveyer belt of talent just chomping at the bit to come thru is just hot air by lazy journalists and pundits hope I am proved well wrong of course .

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Now that the Dublin dominance in football is over, give Con a hurl and a helmet and lets see what he can do at the top level.

It would be a massive travesty if we never get to see him playing inter-county hurling with all the talent he has shown at club level.

Even though I was not at it in CP I could 'visualise' (as Joe Duffy says) the off camera stuff. Because the patterns have been EXACTLY the same in the last few games Wexford, Meath, Kildare. It stands out a mile. There was one against Kildare which really summed it up when Basquel has made a run in a dangerous area no one supported him and he hit a big long pass backwards. It was really odd.

In a way I am glad I was not in CP because it would annoy the bejayus out of me watching them.

Now if an eejit like me with a keyboard can see that. That means fellas like Dessie Farrell and James Horan can as well. Farrell can't be doing it on purpose he said it in interviews he was not happy with it.

It is a lazy way of playing in my opinion easier for lads to go for the backways pass rather than than burst a gut and make that run. Honestly, I hate watching it when it is constant. Instead killing the game by keeping the ball and suddenly making quick bursts an interchange was the way it used to be. I think this group of players just are not up to being able to play that way any more. Dessie Farrell is not thick he can't want them to keep on with the same craic.

Whelan was one of the few who called it out in his analyse the Kildare as well, so I was not imagining it. Which is why Tomás Ó' Sé's and Colm Rourke's shock at the final whistle really surprised me. Plus worse still there was another pattern emerging in the games.

Dublin would coast to a handy lead and then labour with all that fluting about with the ball. 11 points up v Meath at half time, 6 up v Mayo at half time. Really overdoing it (I would not mind if it was every so often or killing a game at the end). Easy to defend against if a team is fit (able to run at teams) and organised. Kildare did not have enough forwards to be able to run at the Dublin defence. But the one time a fella who was able to did they got a goal out of it - Daniel Flynn. The only thing I was surprised about in yesterday's game was that Mayo did not get a goal against Dublin.

I was thinking if Dublin cannot find fast, intelligent, skillful footballers to go back to the 'Jim Gavin' gameplan. The alternative is simple go for the big target men. EOG types that can win a mark and create havoc, or a fella with a great leap in him like a Vinnie Murphy type. Go for more direct quick ball. With the advanced mark it should yield results if a player decides he has no other option.

It was crying out for more long quick ball into Small or Rock yesterday. To change it up a bit. If the players can't run with speed make the ball do the work - simple. The ball was only launched towards the end of extra time when it was pure panic stations.

No plan B in other words. Yes.

Do teams not do the long ball now because it does not look 'sophisticated' or modern or what? It is all about 'transitions', 'possessions' and 'offloads' guff like that. It is as if they are brainwashed at this stage. Surely with the advanced mark teams should be making way more use of it - quick ball. They are over complicating things in my opinion.

I don’t know... I think safeguarding possession is the goal, but when the opposition have 12 players back in front of you...

we needed yesterday around the 45 when we hit the Mayo wall, runners on the shoulders of our man in possession, we instead went too lateral or too hopeful...not enough options and too predictable.

worst case we would have drawn more fouls and maybe forced Lane to go to his pocket more.. well if he was on top of his shît but yesterday.... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

it was hugely frustrating to watch us just pass the ball back while in an advanced position do not understand why we have done that all year you have to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The mayo lad is rumoured to have a broken jaw and had surgery today.

Yes totally. About 95 minutes of football and we only scored 14 points.

a score every roughly 7 minutes. Conditions not great but fûck, that is a poor return and won’t win you much...

• Advertisement

Double jaw fracture needing surgery and lost teeth as well. But according to some Smalls shoulder into his head was not even a free or dangerous.

players pick up injuries that require surgery, it’s a very physical game... nobody likes it, but it happens, glad to see your obsession with one mistimed challenge and a resulting coming together outshines your concern or interest as to the overall fairness or performance of the referee and indeed Mayo players.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It was literally a hospital pass given to him.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Onus of responsibility is on Small to not connect direct to the head of his opponent.

Small should have been sent off. He won't even get punished retrospectively.

Key point as you would know being in the Mafia there is a big difference if it was deliberate or if it was unintentional. As another poster said these things happen in games. The ref did not see it as an actionable offence and that is the way he reffed the game.

I will be shouting for Mayo in the AI but this level of persecution complex will put people off shouting for Mayo in the future. Maybe if Mayo actually win Sam they will actually stop looking for others to blame. Or stop looking for some sort of 'cause'.

It seems to be a Mayo thing looking for something to whinge about? It seems to be very prevalent in Mayo, blame the ref, blame the conditions look for something to give out about. In a way I think many Mayo people would have prefered if they lost yesterday. They are more used to the 'poor us' line. It's tiresome. Most Mayo fans never seem to see any that their team did wrong it sounds like. I seem remember O'Shea tripping a Fermanagh fella cynical fouling on the way to an AI final one year - for example. Yet they were up in arms over perceived slights from Dublin that very same year! Kevin McLoughlin steps when he scored the point to avoid relegation recently is another one. It is football there are ups and downs in a game.

Hopefully Eoghan McLoughlin makes a good recovery and he will be back when maybe are doing their first back to back since the 50's. Think positive for a change?

But I somehow doubt that Mayo will think positive. Mayo rarely think positive a core of fans in particular. Mayo always seem to be dying for a whinge and whine it is what they are comfortable with. You only have to have a look at the Mayo thread. Real doom and gloom most of the time. Looking for something to bitch about.

There is not much craic on the Mayo thread at the best of times. I noticed even with the win yesterday a poster from Mayo referred to Dublin as having tainted AI's and being a team of 'professionals'. That is the kind of bolixology mindset a core of Mayo fans have on boards.ie. Some fans in Mayo seem to be right yokes altogehter miserable feckers even in victory.

As I said I get the impression that many in Mayo would have preferred to have lost. The persecution complex could really come out then! They might get their wish with the no11 AIF loss in a few weeks.

If Mayo win the whining Mayo brigade won't know what to do. 70 years of whinging are hard habits to break from.

Here is what Tomas O'Sé things about the issue and the response to it.

Note he agreed with ref in real time.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So how did he get a fracture and require surgery. I mean come on there are even people on here agreeing here it happened even if they are offering excuses like not intentional so no red (does not have to be intentional) or he moved down to it

Yes I think it was this that or the ref was been told of another incident

I don't see intentional or unintentional is in the rules to get a red. It was a bad tackle. Ref did not see it and linesman must have thought shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It's laughable how pathetic your posts have been. Get to SpecSavers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

You have got to be the most bitter and blinkered poster on here. You should take a lead from some of your compatriots and accept ye were fairly beaten. Move on.

Advertisement