Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

I've deleted a bunch of posts. Stick to the topic at hand. Please don't comment on other posters or moderation on thread.If you've an issue with someone else's posts, report them. If you've a complaint about moderation, you can discuss it with the mods via PM or raise it with the CMods.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Removing 6 car park spaces will destroy the "village". What village? It's a feckin' motorway. Of course Dermot Lacey backing up the traders, like people drive to f**king Ballsbridge to shop.

I am seriously losing all hope for this kip, it makes me want to emigrate somewhere more civilised. Need to find a Dutch girlfriend.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dermot recently tweeted this which has drawn a lot of questions on how he describes the person and does not seem willing to disclose any of the ideas disussed...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he's only now been exposed to some good ideas regarding cycling initiatives? where has he been?

He's as bad as Mannix. He actually infuriates me more, at least Mannix straight up hates cyclists and doesn't pretend otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw someone in aodhan o'riordan's constituency tagged the two of them stating he wouldn't vote for o'riordan while this nonsense was going on in labour. probably came as news to o'riordan who previously stated he has lacey blocked on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I have him blocked too, I can't stand him, O'Riordan just went up in my esteem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not sure it's comprehensive, but I did a search in March to see how often he accuses people of being liars on Twitter, and I counted 37 times in the previous five months. His internet persona is so combative.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

An Irish Times article and a Pat Kenny discussion on the reallocation of one bloody parking space in Ballsbridge.

I'm embarrassed for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Did they go down the list of isms until they found one they could use? "Racist? Not really tbh. Sexist? Hmm, not sure. Ageist? Yeah, ageist, that's a good one, we'll go with ageist."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I worked across the road from those shops/pubs/cafes for a year or so.

They were used for nothing more than people stopping to run in and pick something up, but really mostly tradespeople.

They were shite. The pedestrian lights are a bigger problem than the lack of parking. The filter light to go down angles road was useless too as inevitably someone coming the opposite direction would blast through their red.

The area is a complete mess with the building work going on too nearby, and the amount of people who illegally park in the clearway on anglesea road is astonishing.

It's well serviced by busses and dart only a few mins away. It's just awful all around

Ballsbridge is an odd place. It's regarded as a very desirable area, but apart from Herbert Park and the nice houses away from the main road that it's basically a dual carriageway with offices. To me it's about as appealing as an industrial estate. If I had that kind of money to spend on a house I'd be looking elsewhere (apologies to Ballsbridge residents).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

As far as I've seen, he hasn't revealed what these good ideas are. I'm eager to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

he's being weirdly cagey about that. if he's been asked to keep schtum, why tweet about it? if he hasn't, what's the secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ye calling it a Motorway is as bad as them calling it a Village.

It is of course, neither. In planning terms, Ballsbridge is what's known as a Neighbourhood Centre, with a regional traffic route through it.

But that's not important either. Unless people dispense with all the pedantry and start getting around the table with other people to start looking at what's possible to achieve rather than what's ideal, it'll be a constant cycle of proposal, court case, stalemate.

Not likely. The Strand rd decision was an abhorration, nothing more. Will be righted at the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Are you suggesting that they will go to court for moving a few parking spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Herbert Park Road was in dreadful condition, at least up to fairly recently, big craters and bumps, for what must be some of the most expensive properties in the country!

• Advertisement

After all we've been through, that's a pretty naive question.

Ballsbridge businesses were quite involved in Strand Road because they didn't want their own, ahem, village to be jammed up as the alternative route. Ruins the ambience don't you know.

So, you might say, they are emboldened. And then the City Council and NTA come along with another fait accompli (you'd think they'd have learned their lesson) so Ballsbridge are all like 'Na-ah, not without talking to us first'. And so it goes.

But to answer your question directly, you bet your ass they'll go to Court.

It's like this

They will appeal and win and everything continues

Or

They lose, new legislation is enacted to restore their powers and everything continues

The alternative shuts down minor works such as these for every council in the country which can not be allowed

There is no way some old bloody gammon judge who can't imagine life without 3 cars in his driveway, is going to allow the Strand Rd cycle lane to happen, as soon as it was contested the first time I was 100% sure of it. Still fair play to DCC for trying, but you'd want to have a screw loose to think it's ever going to happen.

This Ballsbridge debacle is just ridiculous though, I mean it's not going to really inconvenience anyone, surely this one can be allowed happen?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The Ballsbridge plan is three years old. It has undergone three public consultations and is about to undergo a fourth one.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

As a resident of nearby Shelbourne Road, I am absolutely appalled by the temerity of that awful man Owen Keegan in trying to push this through without consulting with me first. We have been forced to create a local group - SUACLWSTOTC (Shelbourne United Against Cycle Lane Won’t Someone Think of The Children) - in order to counteract the nefarious Big Bicycle lobby that we know and fear is behind this. So far we’ve only managed to collect 12 million euro to fight this through the courts so we could really do your help. We believe that the loss of this parking space (or spaces) will have a disastrous and chilling effect on our quiet neighbourhood as drivers are forced to find parking on nearby residential streets. In particular we are concerned about the effect on old people, children, disabled people, wildlife, local business, the environment in addition to the loss of the aforementioned car parking space. We urge you please to contact your local councillors, TDS, Ministers, judges, priests, rectors and rabbais in order to build a community collation against this aberration. Remember it could be your neighbourhood next that Big Bicycle targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The IPCC report on the danger to the planet may just possibly have changed the stakes on cycling infrastructure.

Not unless the planning and traffic laws change to reflect that.

I think also, it would be an error for the cycling sector to overestimate its own importance in Ireland's climate change challenge. Some pages ago I demonstrated how far down the priority list for impactful climate measures cycling actually is, behind power generation, passive built environment and agricultural practices to name but a few. A strong organic and policy movement to sustainably fuelled road vehicles further negates that potential impact.

• Advertisement

Yes, and Raglan Road looks like it's been bombed. Perhaps I'm being unwarrantedly cynical, but I'd have thought that Ballsbridge residents would have the clout to make sure the roads were in good shape. Nutley Lane has been in bits for years too. You'd think that being on an ambulance route they'd make some effort to have a smooth road.

Less wealthy areas such as Finglas and Blanchardstown have better roads - perhaps Fingal County Council just has a better roads department?

Advertisement