Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tip: It is when you do invoke the wrath of those on here that is proof that you are onto something. The same, automated responses from different named bots that never offer any evidence of what they accuse, but instead just play the man. I'll give Akrasia one thing, (whom I don't include in the above) in that he at least tries to get it.

But with the others, I'm only getting started...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

As per my question to nabber what are these other things. Was that the post stating the housings for the weather stations were better in the old days, come on seriously….

Thinking about records lately, I get what you are saying Nabber, but do single point records at one station really prove anything? Surely what would be more significant is if a number of records, even in the same general region went at the same time, would prove to be more substantial in the case for AGW? Single point records, as GL indirectly referred to above, may be just as likely to be down to local factors as they would be something more nefarious. And not just in terms of heat records either, but cold ones to.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Keeping with form your contributions was neither funny nor valuable.

To answer both your questions one with logic you can comprehend another that you’ll likely ignore.

Is it a bond villian?

Surely OPEC is the Bond villain?

What else is it?

CO2 is considered the largest factor. Others include CH4, N2O, PFC, HFC, SF6

There are also other factors we don’t fully understand the impact human activities have had. Deforestation impact on local climates, vegetation loss, largely paved cities, Aqua mining, swamp/bog drainage. Also pollutants destroying coral and stimulating harmful algae blooms, damaging eco systems.

Current weather/climate models account for ground and soil moisture poorly and struggle with cloud influences. Which is fine, technology starts somewhere trial and error.

I asked you a question a few days back before you disappeared for a few days that you probably didn't see. But I'll ask it now since you are back with us:

What are you doing to help negate the 'climate emergency'? We need some inspiration and motivation, so it seems logical to ask you, as you are one who preaches the loudest, to what your personal 'to dos' are in this regard.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You ignored my question so here it is again. You say you accept climate change is real. Which weather events do you accept have been caused by climate change

All of our current weather is caused by climate change

just Like how my great grandparents choice of partner affects all of the future generations, adding enormous amounts of energy to the biosphere/oceans/cryosphere affects all weather everywhere

but not to let Gaoth Laidir off the hook, he accepts the planet is warming, but what weather events does he accept would have been much less likely to occur on a colder planet?

Ok so which notable events do you think were directly linked to climate change?

if the answer is all of them, then you agree with me, if the answer is none of them, then your claim that you do accept climate change is a lie, so I expect specific examples

BR asked a reasonable question. You could try answering his questions instead of deflecting with non answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There is a signal of increased CO2 in most severe events, but it's the extent of this that I'm at odds with, the claim that it's 100%. I don't believe that it is that high as I believe that other much stronger factors, such as synoptics, local station attributes, increased station density, changes in land-use, etc. have by far the largest influence. I've yet to see hard detailed evidence of the how, for example, increased CO2 and nothing else actually caused the extra 6 degrees of heat in Canada, or how it caused that low to slow down over Germany. Stalling weather patterns are nothing new. The oldest textbooks detail the link between wavenumber and progressive and retrogressive patterns.

Met Éireann tweeted that Ireland's rainfall has increased by 6% in 1989-2018 versus 1961-1990. I would argue that most of that is due to the positive AMO from the mid-90s. Is some due to anthro warming? Most likely, but a warmer world does not automatically mean higher rainfall in a place like Ireland.

• Advertisement

your answer indicates to me that you’re just playing lip service to a claim that you do not deny climate change is happening. Do you accept that the earth has warmed by about 1.1c relative to pre-industrial averages?

If not, how much do you think it has warmed and what peer reviewed data can you point to to support this?

You also fundamentally miss the point of AGW

AGW doesn’t mean that the AMO or the Synoptics, or land use changes etc, do not affect the weather. All of the natural variability and other human factors still drive the weather. The human ghg emissions don’t account for all of the heat in a heatwave. There could have been a heatwave in British Colombia without AGW, it could even have been a record breaking one, but the CO2 signal added heat to that heatwave and also affected things like how long it persisted and where it occurred.

you talk about the AMO as being a driver of weather, climate change has absolutely overwhelmed the AMO ‘signal’

SSTs are so much warmer now that to see an AMO trend at all, you need to subtract the AGW related element from the observations to see where we would be in the AMO cycle without AGW

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms1186/figures/1

AGW now dwarfs the AMO, so if you believe the AMO is a significant driver of weather events and extremes, then surely AGW is an even bigger driver than the AMO was?

no climate scientist thinks the C02 signal is the only factor in the weather, all the Synoptics still matter, but those Synoptics are affected by the enormous amounts of energy added to the planet because we have inadvertently geo-engineered our atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Should have been clearer in my post. My point was that with or without AGW we would expect to see all weather records exceeded or challenged eventually. Differing AGW from natural is not possible, only the probability that we have influenced extreme weather.

I did answer. Also answered the Bond Villain question

Yet the old day data is used to show the planet was cooler. Can't have your cake an eat it!

When you say climate change are you referring to AGW?

In the same instance are you saying pre industrial levels of CO2 will mean folks don't have to worry about flooding, heat waves, forest fires ect? Perhaps you could briefly outline your idea of what the planet would look like (weather-wise) if we could have a climate you feel reduced CO2 would bring. (assuming lasting effects and run away climate are negated)

BR is quick to ask (demandingly) many question, but very slow to answer them himself.

I have to ask: Why?

New Moon

I seriously question some of the data that are included in making that 1.1 degrees figure, for reasons such as outlined in my post from the other day. You have still not commented on that, good or bad, but if increasing numbers of different types of stations are increasingly being included in land temperature records then it stands to reason that this figure will be falsely inflated.

You said (re. the Canadian heatwave)

the CO2 signal added heat to that heatwave and also affected things like how long it persisted and where it occurred.

Exactly how much extra heat did 140 ppm of extra CO2 add, given that we don't really know what ECS is? What's the formula for calculating it?

Regarding SST, let's take a look at the chart in the recently published State of Ireland's Climate 2020, in which they showed data for Malin Head up to 2018 (not sure why not include 2019 and 2020). In any case, given my extensive skills at inserting datapoints on charts 😉, I've added the 2020 data in orange (11.25, from here, not yet quality controlled). I can't find 2019 data anywhere, but from the second graph on that met.ie page it looks slightly higher than 2020, with 2021 so far coming in below 2020).

Your charts only goes up to 2008. The Met Éireann report chose to quote the anomaly for period from 2009, with no word on the most recent trend, which would appear to be flat. The AMO increased during the mid-1990s and the SST followed. The AMO has remained flat positive since, as has the SST. Only one station, but I didn't choose it. They also didn't show data for the previous positive AMO phase pre-1960, which is a pity, as it would probably have shown a positive SST anomaly too. That wouldn't suit the narrative, though. I think it's pretty clear that the AMO is the dominant factor in our SST, which in turn will have an effect on temperature and rainfall.

But let's talk about sea level, which they also reference in the report. They strangely show no timeseries for that but say that

"Satellite observations indicate that the sea level around Ireland has risen by approximately 2-3mm/year since the early 1990s"

and that

"Analysis of sea level data from Dublin Bay suggests a rise of approximately 1.7mm/year since 1938 which is consistent with global average rates."

There is no mention of the shorter-term trends within this data series, which show high variability, especially since 2016 in Dublin. Further afield, Malin Head doesn't have an up-to-date dataset available here (unless someone knows of another source), but there's not much of a longterm upward trend up to 2002 anyway.

Nearby Portrush has a better series. It shows a trend of ~0.9 mm/yr from 1995-2020, which is significantly less than the 2-3 mm quoted. I know different places have different rates, but the data would suggest it's a lot more complicated than is being expressed in that climate report.

All of those can be placed under the banner of human activities or to put it another way, there anthropogenic, so in actual fact you are in full agreement with me Akrasia and the IPCC and indeed most of the world. 😏

Anthropogenic means caused by or produced by humans!

If 'most of the world' is in full agreement with you, then why are you on a small Irish weather forum defending what most of the world already agrees with you on?

New Moon

Just to whinge a bit more about local station effects. This is the actual Siracusa station that reported 48.8 C last week.

The temperature sensor shield is highlighted. It's sitting a few cm directly above a horizontal metal pole, which itself is attached to a vertical pole containing the large datalogger unit.

In most cases the effects of these nearby artificial surfaces would be negligible, However, when you get to talking about those extreme cases, these effects must become significant. The horizontal metal pole is likely to be a significant source of heat, especially as it's right below the sensor. Similarly the nearby datalogger, which is a box of electronics which itself will heat up inside, however the outer housing, despite being white, will still be a source of heat. I can't touch my balcony railings, coated with white PVC, in Sardinia during the middle of the day. There is also a dark green railing immediately surrounding the sensors.

Zooming out a little, this is the immediate local site. A small road and thick concrete wall are just a few metres away. Again, I know from experience how hot those types of walls get during the afternoon.

Even the ground gets extremely hot in this setup at this time of the year. The Google Map image above is from July 2019 and shows fairly bare and scorched ground. There is still come green in that image, but it is more likely to be completely devoid of any green grass at this time of the year, as is currently the case in Sardinia. My nearest station there was reporting maximum surface temperatures (T-Superficiale) of up to 48 C last week while air temperatures (T-aria) were up to 40 C. We would not see such high surface temperatures if covered in green grass.

The other stations in the Siracusa region, while still high, didn't reach the same highs. The hottest, Lentini, was around 2 degrees lower (46.9 C) It's still almost 40 km away from the Siracusa station, but is only 5 km from Catania Sigonella airport to its north and a similar distance inland. It reached a max of "only" 44.4 C on the same day. That's a significant difference of 2.5 degrees.

The point of all this is that extreme temperatures are the focus of much of the talk about climate change, however little consideration is given to the points above.

I believe I was accused of "shifting the goalposts" a few days ago. I think if you and I both made it to the Olympics I'd stand no chance of a medal after this post of yours.

Just from a southern Italian perspective, how did this recent heatwave, in terms of both overall intensity and duration, compare with other heatwaves in the (recorded) past in the region? As it is well known that Italy is prone to some of the most extreme weather in Europe, and not just regarding heat.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Jesus lol. I'm sure if there are any faults the WMO will find them and it won't be confirmed. Seems you already have your mind made up whether its verified or not just because you can't let it go that you posted 24 hours before that recording, that if global warming is real why hasn't anywhere in Europe broken Europes highest temperature record since Athens in the 70s.

Canada, Turkey Tunisia etc wherever broke their records this summer I'm sure you would find/invent fault in them. Blame a cat for farting 2 metres from the station or whatever. Its always the same spiel whenever somewhere breaks a record. Cast doubt, cast doubt, cast doubt.

So you completely refute all of the points? Fair enough.

Explain the context? Really? Ask your friend Akrasia.

Ya really do explain how Ive moved said goalposts.

The Italian Met Service (part of the military) had an article on it just last week and stated a return period of 15-20 years, based on a 500-hPa geopotential height of 6008 metres reported in a Trapani Birgi sounding.

So talk of anthropogenic climate change has now shifted from focusing on greenhouse gases to other non-atmospheric factors?

Remember, you said

CO2 is considered the largest factor. Others include CH4, N2O, PFC, HFC, SF6

in reply to Nabber when he mentioned these other factors. Then, when it suited you, you doubled back and agreed with him, stating they're anthropogenic too. So do you now think combined they're still a minor factor compared to CO2 and the other gases, or are you acknowledging that they're sizeable?

The first line of that article:

"In meteorology there are conditions that occur every 20 years or so, such as an Italian victory at a World Cup or perhaps an Olympic gold in athletics specialties."

Meteorology is a wide net 😜 but I shall read forth.

New Moon

Interesting read, though it was more focused overall on the synoptics of the then current heatwave than putting the heatwave into historical context, which is to be acknowledged that they did mention 2003 as being the last major event.

That site itself does seem to have data available for the public to scrutinise for themselves. but.. not to 'foreign domains' apparently.

Mean oul shites. 😂

New Moon

Im afraid you have mis quoted me GL,

This part “Remember, you said 

CO2 is considered the largest factor. Others include CH4, N2O, PFC, HFC, SF6”

That was actually said by Nabber in this post

On foot of Nabbers post;

I asked him what else is causing climate change since he is certain AGW is not the cause. He listed a bunch of things which methane, a naturally occurring gas yes but human activity has caused an excessive amount of it to be realised into the atmosphere. Nitrous oxide, also naturally occurring but like methane human activities have meant nitrous oxide levels have increased by 50% since before the industrial revolution. PFC, HFC and SF6 are man made.

Who is commiting deforestation, humans, what about aqua mining are bonobo chimpanzees doing that no humans are. Swamp/bog drainage, paving cities all human activities. How are we doing all this by utilising fossil fuels.

These things are causing climate change so says Nabber all Ive done is point out that human activity is at the route cause of it. Yes fossil fuels have brought us out of the cave but the Stone Age didn't end for the lack of stone

• Advertisement

I asked you a question there earlier BR, do you mind answering it?

And this may be of interest to you, given how much you depend on MSM for your climate guidance:

Europe’s renewable energy strategy will destroy forests and harm climate, scientists warn | The Independent | The Independent

What was that you were saying about deforestation again?

New Moon

Advertisement