Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic build for parents

Options
  • 15-08-2021 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a new PC for parents as current one is very old and really starting to slow down, only really needed for browsing web and bit of word.

I put together the following build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rzWqj2

Its an Athlon 3000g with 8GB ram 500GB m.2 ssd, basic case psu and wireless card, comes to £332 which is just about €400 on Amazon uk or can order on amazon de for €370, think cheapest might be if I get just the processor from uk is build solid enough or any advised changes to make.

I had thought of going with a 3200g but seem very hard to get.

I was also thinking would I be as well just getting a prebuilt for them. Something like https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/desktops-and-all-in-ones/new-inspiron-small-desktop/spd/inspiron-3891-desktop/cd389103 from dell.

I did also come across a prebuilt with a 3200g for €330 with 8gb ram, only has a 120gb ssd and some reviews say case is bit noisy so not sure about it.

Any advice on what best option is to go for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Dg2c8J

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 X CO CPU Cooler (£17.82 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M-H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£27.00 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Patriot Viper Elite 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Kingston A2000 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£44.98 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£40.47 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£47.66 @ Amazon UK)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link ARCHER T2U PLUS USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£11.99 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £363.90

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-15 17:57 BST+0100

-----

Change notes:

Quadcore Ryzen instead of dual-core (overpriced) Athlon. They were a good deal at 55GBP, but a no-buy at 100!

CPU cooler: not strictly necessary, but will be quieter than the AMD stock.

Motherboard: Gigabyte over MSI due to to better SOC VRMs & price.

RAM: Always buy dual-channel! This kit is 2666MHz so also go into BIOS and enable XMP.

Storage: A2000 is faster & cheaper than WD Blue models.

Case: Fractal Focus G Mini comes with 2 fans & looks more bling. Alternatively get whatever they like the look of & populate with Arctic P12 fans as necessary.

Power Supply: Spend extra on be quiet System Power 9. From PSU tier list: " Cooler Master MWE V2 White and Bronze units have high ripple issues on very low load also resulting in increased coil whine, fix pending."

Wireless: USB WiFi 5 instead of PCI WiFi 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Thanks for that, the 2200g doesn't seem to be available on Amazon for that price and lot of other uk places have stopped shipping here, ccl/scan, have to see where/if I can get it.

I had also thought would like to get something that is win11 compatible for future proofness, 3200g is on their compatible list, there does seem to be workarounds for older chips but I don't really want to be getting into that. Will look a bit more but think might be able to get a 3200g for under €200 from Germany so might go with that instead.

RAM my thinking was 8 now and option for another 8 down the line, 16gb is probably over kill for what they will be doing mind.

Case, I wasn't set on that one, had just thrown something in to get idea on budget, think for where it is going front i/o will be better, and probably less bling the better for them, I might be throwing in an old optical drive for some stuff they have on cd so need something with 5.25 bay.

Cheers for the build, might just upgrade the cpu on it

Actually would I be better going with a i3 10500 build instead, just swap out the cpu and mobo on above build?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah, Intel is fine too.

As long as it has 4+ cores it should run everything grand for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Jumping on board this as looking for something similar for parents but that comes prebuilt and has wifi card and will be able to take Windows 11 when it comes along. They don't want a laptop as tried that option with them

Also decent storage (but not overkill) as they save few things pictures files etc. Current desktop very slow and I can take whatever off from that

Can anyone recommend a pre built desktop as don't want to assemble it

Budget similar to the above and don't need screen, keyboard etc just need to desktop drive

Thanks

Advertisement