Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Great first result. Solid performance, prtty comfortable throughout, without ever needing to get out of second gear. Bobby looking sharper than he has for a while too, after coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

He put a good shift in closing down in the first half. Didn't do a lot on the ball (but then none of our midfielders really did), faded in the second half a bit.

The hot take will be that he was either shyte or put in the best midfield performance seen at the club since peak Gerrard, but imo he was neither. He played alright, didn't set the world alight, but didn't let us down either. I was encouraged to see him work off the ball though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Can't ask for anymore for first game of the season away from home. Midfield worked after all eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, like he did all the stuff Henderson does week in week out. The constant work-rate needed to maintain control. We know he has the ability to do a whole bunch more as well, but if he at least keeps doing what he did today I'd be happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Now that's a solid start for the Champions elect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Great result for the opening day

One thing that worried me was a couple of time when VVD went to sprint he was moving anywhere as quick as he used to i hope that's temporary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Anyone else annoyed that the boxes aren’t aligned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

VVD is top class.

Oh it might sound harsh but again today Ox reaffirmed he just isn't good enough for us anymore and i really like the bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's going to take time for him to get back to near the level he was. Bellerin took almost 2 years to return to pre-injury form and consistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can't argue with the performance considering the team. It's a great start, and a clean sheet, which is important to VVD and Alisson ,

Could be a vintage season, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester all have the beating of City, so we'll see them lose 5 plus games, goes for everyone really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

You started off positive but then back to normal fairly quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Very good result with a bit of a scratch midfield, if we can have a semi normal season injury wise we have a squad that can chop and change and challenge on multiple fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Ox? Seriously? I thought he was utterly anonymous. We played our best football when Fabinho came on for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I get the impression this squad has a point to prove this season, can't wait to see it unfold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

This. He really earned his corn. I hope I never see him and ox in a midfield 3 again though. Didn't work at all. Kieta can take the Gini role if he stays fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

If only we could play Norwich every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So much better with Fabinho on.

Keita looked disciplined and fit.

VVD at 70% was still strolling through that. The difference having a genuine top rate CB partnership back is astounding. Front foot defending. Towering headed clearances from long balls. Threatening at set pieces.

Salah is Salah. The fúcking king of this League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Based on today's game?

I thought it was abundantly clear that he isn't ready yet. He was way off the pace a number of times.

Worryingly, Matip was out-muscled 4 or 5 times today too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Matip had a great game.

VVD is still getting up to speed. I believe he started today so that when we do come up against a tough opposition, he'll be ready. I've no doubt he can reach the same levels as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

It's a picture of Jesus as far as I could tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yep, can’t really measure anything from one game and he’s far from his best, but even having his leadership available on the pitch makes everything a bit more straightforward.

he’s been given a new deal for a reason, I’m sure the team are confident that with regular game time he’ll be back to his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am not questioning his new deal. Nor do I doubt he will recover from this injury.

Just thought that he was clearly physically off the pace today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

VVD needs games

Have to admit I agree he didn't look like Virg of old. But a player like him plays..and he will get better and better. There is no easy in...play every game. Only way to get match fit. He is that good..just we have forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Klopp got new eyes over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I thought they were a pretty good test for this point in the season. They didn't really flag effort-wise, other than maybe a little 5 minute spell where the game hit a lull around 80 minutes. They didn't trouble us too much, but our goals weren't the result of tearing them to shreds so much as clinical and opportunistic finishing.

I think we'll have much easier games this season, and 3-0 is actually quite a promising result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

He's been out for a year. At this stage the only way he gets up to speed is playing games. We'll all have to be patient with him. He'll get there but it'll take time. We have to give him games to get that time and be a patient when he isn't quite there yet and makes an error.

VVD openly admitted after the game that he was shattered, and not up to speed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Delighted with the result and clean sheet as others have said it really shows the power of a strong base to not only defend but also build attacks. Still think we are a player or two off title winning especially with the AFCON and the players we'll lose. If we're lucky with injury could do well though

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the AFCON this time around. Between having Cup weekends at that time the worst case scenario is that two of the three players involved (Salah, Mane & Kieta) would only miss 2 league matches, being Brentford and Palace. Could have been a lot worse.

How good is Mo Salah

Not at our best by any means yesterday and a comfortable 3-0 victory

I think its the season to remind everyone just how good our team is,

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Was nervous before the game after watching Utd absolutely cruise to victory and Chelsea expectedly doing the similar. Delighted with the result and how it came about.

Salah seems to have lost nothing bar that tiny bit of selfishness. A few times he tried to get Mane on the scoresheet when in previous years he was taking the shot himself. Loved that!

Jota, bar the goal, wasn't great I thought. Misplaced passes, caught in possession plenty of times and a little bullied I thought and WHY didn't he shoot late on when the ball was put in front of him in the box?? Still, not too concerned.

Happy with Keita. Nice addition to the team if he can stay fit.

I fail to see what Ox brings to the team. He looked shattered yesterday which is grand considering the first game and all but he's not fast, he can't really get passed anyone, (loses the ball every time he tries) and I felt his passes are telegraphed. Now this could be sharpness, which will improve, or could be lack of first team experience over the last 2 years but the difference when Fabinho came on was incredible.

VVD is currently not VVD as we knew him. It'll take time but I'm happy to wait. Just having the aerial threat in the box again is great. He looked absolutely shattered though.

Mane needs a few goals but on the whole I was happy with his performance.

Tsimikas, very happy with. Displayed some quick feet, an ability to cross and pace too. A welcomed replacement for Robertson.

Miller was solid, (so was his hand when slapping Tsimikas after getting caught in possession, loved that response). He'll never be fast but he's a leader which is needed.

Trent - fully refreshed, pinging in great balls, love it.

Alison - Solid

Harvey - Excited to see what this lad is gonna bring.

Firmino - looked much more like his old self.

Salah is just class. Probably shouldn't sell.

Im hoping yesterday and next weekend is all part of a nice build up to get the lads firing 100% for the Chelsea game

If we beat Burnley and then do Chelsea at our place the belief will be 100 % back

Actually the next two games where both loses last season so it'll be nice to write them wrongs and already get points up on the corresponding fixtures from last season

I have to say i loved that Milner moment,

Iv heard Tsimakas is very popular in the squad as he's worked his sock off pre-season but also get very involved in sharing a joke,

Might sound silly but i think the Milner moment shows Tsimakas has settled well cause Milner wouldnt do that otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Anyone got a gif of the Milner moment with Tsimakas? I don’t remember it during the game, but was watching trough a strong set of beer goggles so that explains it lol

It happened in the 69th minute when Tsimikas gave the ball away on the edge of the area. I'm sure at least one of the tabloids or the likes of Talksport will make an attempt to make an issue of the incident so the footage will be online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Watching mo berate himself after fluffing the chance big virg set up for him shows his character,he's Relentless,never happy, exactly the type of professional you want in your team,but more importantly,he never stops,no sulking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hopefully we see the same front 3 start at home against Burnley. We need to give it a long run, and hopefully have the luxury of giving Firmino a chance to come on and fight for a place in the starting lineup of the next game, by giving him 15-20 mins. That's competition, that's a squad working as it should, always needing to fight, always needing to be at it. Too often in the past Firmino would play 16 games in a row, and know he'll play the next one also, regardless of what he does. Hopefully those days are gone, we have a competitive squad now, not just a competitive team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I would love it if we signed St Maximin from Newcastle. He is the most entertaining footballer to watch in the league right now and has been for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He's headless as fcuk and would command a huge fee by Newcastle.

A few midtable/relegation teams that could do with Phillips & Origi after results this weekend.

A nice two for £30m price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Perhaps but he has all the ability in the world and at 24 I reckon if you gave him a couple of seasons with a really good coach in a really good team you would see a world class player emerge. And he is just so exciting to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sarr would be a better buy and is slightly younger. They'd cost a similar amount.

If Davies is going on loan for the season then I think we will be keeping Phillips until January at least. It's early days for van Dijk and Gomez and having to rely on Matip for an extended period is what allowed the injury situation to snowball last season. Konate is going to need time to settle in and I doubt the team would be as confident if Klopp finds he is in a situation where Konate and Williams are the available pairing for a run of games.

Davies off on loan to Sheff Utd.

Even at £1.6m he would cost if all addon's are reached which they won't be this has to be one of the strangest signings the club has ever made, The only good thing that might come from it will be the progression Van den Berg  makes with his loan moves to PNE that was part of the the original transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Always liked Spurs.

Advertisement