Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭JRant

He didn't elbow him though. Looked like McLoughlin was mid turn when he got hit and happened in a split second. It's awful for him to need surgery but claiming he was elbowed is laughable.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Dublin defeated Dublin.

Their second half performance was strange, why not just keep attacking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Exactly, stick to the template and tactics that got you that lead, front foot...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Problem with that is the ref thought it was a fair shoulder in real time as did Thomas O'Sé. Where in the rule book does it say the Ref can have the benefit of TV replays?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

i think we are all wondering why we stopped going forward decent start to second half could have made a huge difference

That is basically what Tomás O'Sé meant when called twitter a cesspit. People posting pictures of elbows and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well, I’m not blinkered or bitter, quite the contrary it’s strange how because a posters view...it differs to yours and others that makes the poster all of a sudden, blinkered and bitter ? Weird, very weird logic on your behalf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

There are non so blind as those that cannot see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Shanee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Still don’t know why the 45 was taken again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I think the times reported that there were 16 players on the pitch.

Unreal stuff being spouted on Twitter and here for that matter. Even if the ref had the benefit of a TMO I'm not sure he'd call it any different but ya never know. It really was one of those "bang bang" situations that happens all the time in sport. The initial hit looked spot on but because McLoughlin was still turning the force of the tackle spun him into the shoulder. Now Lane didn't stop the play right away but with the amount of lads going down holding their faces when not touched probably fed into that decision. Turns out he was wrong on this occasion.

It would seem to be because Philly ran on the pitch about 5 meters from him and a good 15/30 seconds before the kick was actually taken. Can't say I've seen that done before. And was strange as it happened Rock before he missed one over by the sideline early in the second half 🤷🏻‍♂️

No doubt all those in the media and social media will be equally as concerned about substitutes running on to the pitch starting fights as well.

That's because O'Shea kept forgetting he was subbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There are generally double standards and blind hatred applied to any incident involving the dubs its always been that way .A lot of people have waited for this day and after six years it has come about .If it bothers you just ignore them no point in getting involved with them as they only see things they want .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I haven't watched the game back so I'm only going on my recollection from the stands. I thought he never gave the go ahead to Hennelly in the first place. Stephen Coen was subbed but remained on the pitch as Hennelly was lining up his attempt. The referee was looking around for Coen (he was in the Mayo square) to get him off the pitch just as Hennelly made his first attempt. I don't think McMahon had anything to do with it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

100% agree with O'Se. Small should have walked for the tackle. He might be looking to rattle the man with a fair shoulder but it was anything but fair. Shoulder to head is a red card.

I didn't see anything else in the game that was particularly nasty though. Lahiff's tackle was mistimed and Diarmuid O'Connor hitting the deck is nothing new. He made a miraculous recovery to get involved in the schmozzle afterwards i noticed. McCarthy swathed him away, nothing more. I was close to the goal and saw Keegan roughing up Con. There were swinging elbows between those two too. All par for the course in games between these teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭threeball

Wrong. Every player has a duty of care to the opposition so whether its intentional or badly executed hes responsible for his actions. Professional or amateur has nothing to do with it. Small showed no care whatsoever. Even when the damage done was evident he didn't even check on the player. Its a mark of the man. He's Philly lite. A hit and run merchant.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, had no idea that was happening at the same time being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

I'm amazed that Fenton does not try a few long range shots.. He guides past players but seems to just want to offload most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

To be fair to him he was blatantly pushed, it should have been a free-out, not a 45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Had a bit more time to think over the game and what bothers me more than anything wasn't the fact we lost ffs we had to at some stage it's the manner in which we lost.

I've seen people saying how we don't have the pace in the team anymore to play similar attacking football but I just don't accept this when you can play so well in one half of football control the game then go absolutely backwards in the next. I've noticed it since Farrell came in that there is a lot more negativity around the team in general not just our play but even the demeanour of the players. The guy doesn't exactly give off any kind of confidence or personality either in fairness.

It was always gonna happen that when Jim left a few would follow but the manner in which so maybe have walked from the squad even the Cluxton situation to me feels like they're not on the same page as the management. It's not just a Covid thing either.

It wasn't so much there last year but this season since the start of the league there has been so many mistakes and general examples of sloppy play that so many of those lads out there playing would never of done under Jim even the discipline side of things.

We were known for being a team that 90 per cent of the time made the right choices and knew how to play and win games under pressure where was that this season? Players left but so many were still there multiple All Ireland winning players ffs how does it change so much I dont understand. Look at how we performed in the first half Against Meath and with Mayo we took them apart what was stopping us from playing like that for the majority of the game!?

I was sick watching us playing keep ball against Wexford ffs and we couldn't wait to start it against Mayo. Yes, it was a part of Gavin's game but it was used to kill off a game in the last few minutes, not in the first half ffs.

Like I said the other day I am seriously not impressed with what that team has turned into and it's more than lads leaving it's a total attitude change and we're not winning anything as long as it continues. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a big name or two leaves over the next few months and not anyone near retirement age either.

I'll say it again fair play to Mayo they won it well in the end but we **** bent over and opened the door for them and that was far from the style of the team which made history previously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

The play continued after the collision. Can't really check on a player at that particular moment in time.

He may have well checked after the game.

They just showed it there. There was 16 men on the pitch and Mayo were making a sub at same time. Had nothing to do with Philly been near Hennelly.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I've seen no evidence to suggest otherwise.

He has had some of the best man-markers in the game on him at club level and he has rinsed them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Tomaldo

Yeah, I don't always agree with O'Rourke but at half-time he said Dublin will probably bore us to death playing keep-ball, he was right this time. It reminded me of Southgate's tactics versus Italy, defend, defend, no risks and it backfired both times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Gavin tried to eliminate all risk from the Dublin gameplan and play the percentages and we finally saw that approach backfire yesterday as Farrell has taken the same approach. Mayo players were taking high risk shots from distance, and Dublin used to do that years ago until they then decided to work it in to safe shooting zones and keep passing it around until someone had a chance. The only way to beat Dublin is intensity and high workrate and very few counties do that and especially not in Leinster.

Advertisement