Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use the new Kirwan junction

Options

Comments

No interest in engaging with your academic rants, I'm more than qualified in the domain with the helpful addition of real world experience and a solid grounding of common sense.

Just popped in to encourage you to revisit your flawed response in case it was an oversight.

"You won't argue or concede that unless it takes an hour through that particular section the data on the volume of vehicles per hour will be more or less equal to demand (it's simple math)"

Here's another nudge to help - if I approach the data collection point at 6.36pm and get held up in traffic for 25mins before being recorded, I'll be logged as the 7-8pm demand in your interpretation. 25mins is a unfortunately common and moderate delay along there.

I'll not be directly responding any further as you're not being civil. Hope the above helps.

Provision of safer pedestrian crossings is/was one of the considerations in removing the roundabout.

It's not just about the flow of cars.

For those struggling to get out of Sandy Road/Liosban there was also a suggestion to make a new signalised direct exit across the river onto the N6.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was revived.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭MenloPete

Indeed provision for pedestrians/cyclists ended up being the primary reason quoted by the engineers.

At the council meeting where the proposal was finally approved, the engineers showed a drone video of pedestrians crossing dangerously at the roundabout which (in my opinion) heavily influenced the vote or at least was used by them as the reason for approving.

I wonder how many pedestrians will now wait for the green man at each crossing?

I tried walking from Castlelawn to the Shopping Centre using the green man each time - I forget the exact figures, but it roughly doubled the walking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Greyhound_

If decisions in the city council to demolish a roundabout and build an intersection was based on an isolated incident of someone incorrectly crossing the street, there is no hope for Galwegians. I can put up a drone over any roundabout and stage any activity I want. Or I can record for 5 days and cherry pick whatever behavior I want.

Question, who is showing the city council decision makers drone videos from the current layout, where cars at speed, misjudge the lanes and end up driving into pedestrian waiting areas, cars are parked in the middle of the junction as they have entered it without hope of getting out in time for the lights to change, blocking the traffic and causing even further frustration? Or people now knowing how to proceed through counter-intuitive lanes wanting to change the lane last minute, but others not buying it and not letting them in.

For the pedestrians or cyclists to cross the roundabout was easy as piece of cake. On the Menlo side it was safe with a strip of pavement dividing the lanes, on the other side there was a light controlled traffic. If anything to improve pedestrians experience, these lights should be regulated, so one does not need to wait 3 minutes for the green light to show up. There was no need to make any green light synchronizations there, as this pedestrian crossing was isolated and did not influence any other traffic. It should be green for the pedestrians within 10 seconds 'on demand'. Nobody would then be 'dangerously crossing at the roundabout'. When the construction works have commenced, miraculously these lights were immediately setup as mentioned by me to be green within 10 seconds to ease life of the construction workers. No comment..

Anyone who thinks crossing at a RAB for pedestrians is as "easy as piece of cake" needs to revisit their perceptions.

RAB's are, by their very design, anti-pedestrian.

Even looking along the WDR, where they have gone all out trying to make the pedestrianisation crossings as safe as possible, it's still very easy for cars to come off a RAB there and go through the speed measures in excess of 40kph.

• Advertisement

"For the pedestrians or cyclists to cross the roundabout was easy as piece of cake"

For anything beyond 12 o clock exit was especially dangerous on a bike on that roundabout. Lot of motorists would take the outer lane all the way around to skip traffic so dangerous making your exit on the left without being pushed through to the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anyone I've spoken to who uses this junction regards it as an utter disaster. Most people now avoid it like the plague, driving traffic onto the Dyke Road. Got caught the other day when some muppet in a campervan got stuck under the low bridge and everyone had to turn around and use the main road. I've noticed a lot more cars turning right at Ballindooley Cross heading into town and going through Menlo at all times of the day.

I had the misfortune to have to approach the junction from Sandy Road the other day, would have been better off going out the Tuam Road and sitting in Claregalway traffic. It's an absolute sh1tshow for cars coming from Liosban/Sandy Road, barely any time for cars to get through, or the lights have turned red at the new sliproad into Tirellan so traffic turning left from BnadT backs up to the junction and no one gets through. It took about 40 minutes to get from Galway Bay FM to the junction!

IMO this is the worst clusterf*ck the council have made to date with junction changes. And that's saying a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

This might have been intentional? Direct traffic to the main arteries rather than people skipping down through Liosban and Sandy Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

it is some crac alright coming out of it. not even schools back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sapient

He claims I'm not being "civil", but in the preceding, he pejoratively classifies my citing the most recent peer-reviewed paper on the efficiency of roundabouts versus signalized intersections as a "rant", and still has yet to concede fabricating an assertion and attributing it to me. The engineer hoist with his own petard.

Again, you fail to grasp your own argument and how flawed it is (seemingly DaCor, too), and I hope that a self-proclaimed (!) domain expert with real-world experience and a solid grounding of common sense would revisit this. Your claiming that the peak volume per hour does not represent the peak demand. If 25 minutes was the peak delay at 6:36PM, then the 7-8PM data point would become the peak volume per hour and would more or less represent peak demand; the demand has to dissipate somewhere. Therefore, unless the duration of navigating through that particular section is more than an hour which length of time cannot encapsulate the delay, the data on the volume of vehicles per hour will be more or less equal to demand for that particular section.

You won't engage or answer the question, because the logical conclusion proceeding it defeats any argument for removing the roundabout based upon increasing the efficiency of junction. Even if there was over 8,000 vehicles, the cited paper states that roundabouts are 1/3 faster than the most efficient signalized intersections and twice as fast as the most inefficient one.

Correct, and as DaCor stated, roundabouts are anti-pedestrian: their efficiency for vehicles derives from not stopping. I think that it is the only valid reason for changing the junction, but in order to placate others i.e. those using vehicles, they had to peddle that this change would reduce traffic delays. It definitely won't, and will probably as a result of changing to a less efficient signalized intersection and a result of induced demand (wait till the council wraps their heads around that particular concept!), increase the traffic delays.

• Advertisement

One minor correction, the throughput for all modes is increased with a 4 arm signal junction over a RAB. So when you refer to efficiency, the signal junction has a higher capacity.

But all of that counts for nought as the road network is far above designed capacity as a whole anyway.

You could rip out Kirwan and make it a free flowing junction for all arms of it and it would still be jammed up during peak times

The only solution is to get those with alternatives, out of their cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

build the outer bypass.

Decision on the ring road is due in the next week, by next Friday 27th. Unless they delay it yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Whatever about the roundabouts working or not, one things for sure and that is the traffic has gotten worse and worse for every roundabout they removed. It looks like they are trying to facilitate all the poor dubs coming off the motorway who couldn't navigate the roundabouts and who now have lovely streamlined intersections to take them directly to their holiday homes.

I tried to do a few bits and pieces in galway this evening and it was complete chaos! The traffic over the quincentenery was almost backed up to the hospital roundabout all people going left to the new junction. It's at the point now where ambulances coming from the N59 will be locked out of the back entrance of the hospital all because of this new idiotic junction. You also have cars coming down from bother mor roundabout getting stuck in the middle of the junction trying to turn right onto terryland. It's nuts!

There was never a problem with the kirwan roundabout, it was always a problem with the junction at the quincentenary bridge leading to cars getting backed up as far as the roundabout. The council are clearly just painting over the cracks now with this move - they just want to get rid of the image of cars getting trapped on the roundabout.

Also, as everyone knows, much of the traffic in Galway is caused by Mayo commuters of which we have now severed one of the key veins they use to go home in the evening.

As others have mentioned above, if it's this bad now, just wait for the schools to come back, heads will roll once that happens.

Your post is a virtual copy+paste of many each time they remove a RAB, and yet life goes on. There will be no heads rolling.

The only difference is the junctions are safer (marginally) for pedestrians and cyclists and throughtput capacity is increased.

On a side note, I find it hilarious that the very people causing traffic are complaining about the traffic they are causing.

If you're using a more sustainable method of travel then traffic does not impact you as much and as further measures are implemented it will impact you less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yes we should all ban the demon car. That'll sort everything 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Made the same old mistakes with this new junction as they did with all of the other junctions they put in. The turning lanes are far too short. Have a line of cars all wanting to turn left but their traffic is backed up by those wanting to go straight unable to due to traffic being blocked up on the straight.

What is the most amazing is that the one roundabout that should have been changed as a priority for safety reasons is one of the few still left. That one by the petrol station at the top of Sandy Road. The margin for error or hesitation on that roundabout is minute.

Also incredible, I lived on Lough Atalia the year the junction there was put in. We were all on here complaining about how awful traffic became when the junction went in but if anything, it has only gotten worse. Particularly when coming into the city via Dublin Rd.

They really shanked it with the road planning for Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You'd imagine the delays around Lough Atalia junction are more to do with higher traffic volumes and a far busier retail park and hotel there than before.

Never said that but as it turns out, if there were no cars there would be no traffic 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

any vehicle related its the devil.

in the mean time

Build the new bridge (aka bypass)

• Advertisement

Much of the criticism above seems to be from cars entering the city from the Headford side or exiting from the Sandy Road.

How are people crossing the city finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The retail park and hotel were there before the junction was put in. The retail park opened in the early 2000s. The G opened in 2005. The people who lived in the area and drove it every day were pretty clear that the tailbacks got worse when the junction went in and it did. I was driving from Lough Atalia out to Ballybrit at the time. It turned to sh1t overnight. They spent months tweaking the timing of the lights, it improved a little but was and has remained worse than when the roundabout was in there. A big part of the problem was and continues to be the set of lights where Lough Atalia and College Road meet. It has been 12+ years and it is only this year that they are talking about addressing that set of lights.

D'ya remember some of the defenses from the council about it being slower until all the roundabouts were replaced with junctions because then they could run in sync with each other. Sounded good but little did we know it could be 15+ years until they are all replaced and by the time that happens the population of the city will probably have increased by 10s of thousands of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You're most likely right but the retail park is also far busier now than all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Greyhound_

Infrequent and running late buses go into one place - Eyre Square. People need to move in other directions as well. Are e-bikes and e-scooters legal on the road? What about safety implications? Age limits? Weather? How people who live in Tirellan Heights, Ballinfoile, Scelig Ard or Castlegar can do shopping, take their kids to do activities, spent leisure time, visit friends & family, go to work or do business without commuting through the new junction?

I had written a reply to his original comment but decided to not engage with him as his replies are all hostile and he's obviously not interested in an argument, just wants to listen to himself say how right he is and how wrong everyone else is.

Despite it being slow and adding to the problem a car is still the most logical form of transport for most people in Galway. I used to get a bus from westside to Ballybrit and it would take over an hour sometimes, with a car it took 20mins. There is no direct bus from west to east they all go to Eyre Square where they wait for 5-10mins and sometimes the bus driver tells everyone to get off and wait for the next one! Not to mention that most bus stops are just a pole so it's great in the winter standing in wind and rain waiting for a bus that will almost certainly be late. Sure you can bike but it's dangerous (I did it once and never again) and very few employers provides showers at the office. Not to mention it's not the nicest thing cycling in the dark to and from work only adding to the danger and again you are at the mercy of the elements.

I've lived and worked in citys with proper public transport and never wanted or needed a car, the state of Galways transport forced me to buy one. It's easy to say just take the bus or cycle but the reality is it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

I feel that I have two perspectives of using this as a Roundabout and now as a junction.

I could definitely see a need for something to be changed. When it was a Roundabout I lived in Tirellan and commuted back and forth to work using Bothar na dTreabh. It seemed ok going to work but coming back in the evening it was chaos. The Roundabout would be at a complete standstill, blocked up by cars on it but not moving anywhere.

Now I live out towards Headford and commute into the city using the N84 and N6 for work. Going in is worse than before but manageable but coming out is torture. The left lane leading onto the N84 is way too short and to add insult to injury I can see crashes being caused by the slip road up to Menlo. People going out the N84 will be rushing to make it past the lights.

I thought that myself turning onto the Headford road one day. It's obviously designed with a 'get cars from Headford Rd to BnT' ideal in mind and everything else was an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

One simple thing that would have made this junction better, at least in terms of the efficiency of through put from town to the N84 and N6BndT, would have been to route N84 northbound traffic up the Coolough link road and then back out onto the N84.

The way it is now is a bit of disaster. When the lights change to red 2-3 cars waiting to turn left onto the N84 is enough to block off the Coolough Link Rd, making it completely redundant. Then, even worse, when the lights go green the N84 filter stays red* (I presume this is to allow pedestrians to cross). All it takes if about 4-5 cars wishing to make the turn onto the N84 to block the left lane of the N6 Headford Rd. This eastbound side of the junction is all about through put to help clear traffic closer to town and having a design where the left lane is potentially regularly blocked is crazy.

The simple (or at least what would have been very simple to do at the construction stage) change is to have N84 traffic use the Coolough link road and have no left turn at the junction itself. In the current design, N84 traffic have to potentially wait on two long lights. One at the junction itself and the other where the Coolough Rd meets the N84. In the design above there would only be a need for a yellow box where the Coolough Link Rd meet the Coolough Rd and at the existing filter where the Coolough Rd meets the N84. That filter could stay green much longer and more frequently than the one at the junction itself. Thus, you get a much higher though put of N84 traffic and therefore clearing it faster from the crucial section between Bodkin and Kirwan. Also, when the Coolough Rd / N84 filter needs to turn red, you have a much greater holding capacity than down at the junction.

The thing is, it can still work like this with the current design. However, for maximum efficiency, the Coolough Link Rd would ideally finish in a Y with the right lane of the Y joining the Coolough Rd, with a yellow box junction, where the double lane begins. That way, traffic coming down from Menlo, wishing to go town or BndT, would not block access to the left (N84 northbound) lane.

*Edit: coming home tonight the left filter turned green at the same time as the other lights. Perhaps it stays red only when the pedestrian button has been pressed or perhaps they are still tweaking the sequence. IMO the above would still have been a better design.

Post edited by WildWater on

Came across this part of town yesterday. Going from the Quin bridge to go up Bothar na dTreabh. The left turn off the bridge was blocked with the queue for the Headford road. Couldn't get through to the right lane until there was some movement and a driver left space.

If they can't fix the new junction issue in the short term they'll need to add a yellow box junction here.

It was blocked again further down with drivers taking the right lane and trying to cut in left just before the Headford turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

For a small enough city Galway is a complete f**k up when it comes to traffic. I've never come across so many roundabouts in a confined area.

Advertisement