Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 30 KPH limit for Dublin

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Lads, data isn't going to change the minds of the folks who hate cyclists. Never has.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

No, it won't.

Leaving the Dre Beats headphones at home, not scrolling through their phone while cycling, having the cop on to glance to their backwards right when merging into traffic, making all of that standard behavior would change a few minds.

But they won't. So here we are.

Cyclist behavior will never change until a system of licenses, road tax, insurance and penalty points is introduced. But the Greens will never allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How's that system of licenses, road tax, insurance and penalty points working out for addressing the behaviour of motorists, 98% of whom break urban speed limits, the majority of whom use their phones while driving, and who are responsible for 88% of red light jumping in Dublin?

Those motorists really need to leave their Blaupunkt speakers at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As a motorist, I implore you not to encourage a road tax for any road users, that's the thin end of the wedge. If the cyclists are hit with a road tax for €10 the road tax for motorists would be most likely in the thousands per year for a comparable usage of road repair and spending.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Others have already asked the question how that system is working for motorists

Over the past 5 years or so, there has been circa 250,000 drivers with points on their licence. That's a staggering amount of individuals found to have been breaking the law. Considering some points expire and some are completely banned altogether, this figure changes constantly, but quarter of a million is around the number on a consistent basis. I gave up going back further when I went looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

lol "ohh the greens"

no - logic will not allow it. Not the stereotypical bogeyman that lives in the minds of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you calculated a road tax proportional to the wear and tear arising on the road, a €10 annual charge for cyclists (which would cost more to collect and administer than it would bring in) would equate to about €1.4 million annual charge for the average family car, based on the 4th power rule.

Be careful what you wish for.

Thank you to whoever posted the video earlier in the thread. It really makes me want to visit the Netherlands next time I am able to travel. Although after watching the video, it's left me feeling sad in a way that we will probably never achieve anything similar over here. I feel there are just too many NIMBY's and those who refuse to accept change, although maybe when the climate crisis truly starts to bite down hard those attitudes may start to soften.

Or more likely due to sea level rise will have to abandon our current cities and build new ones in more suitable locations. Perhaps then we could think about putting in some much-needed cyclist and pedestrian friendly infrastructure.  

For those that whinge about us cyclists not paying tax. I would like to remind those people that we pay VAT on our bikes as well as on the cycling jerseys and shorts that we wear. Over the years I've contributed hundreds in VAT just from cycling stuff. I think that about covers me for the so-called "road tax".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The wife drove at 30kph along the Strand Road inbound on Saturday night, got overtaken by 4 or 5 cars along the way. Not too sure what the point of the new speed limit is there when it is so blatantly being ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's not a new speed limit. Its a temporary speed limit, wrongfully imposed due to the cessation of works on the now dead Strand Road cycleway scheme.

The city Council argued that changes they had made to the junctions prior to being forced to suspend work made them unsafe for a limit of 50 km/h. It is my contention, that that argument was bullshyt and that the junctions operate perfectly fine.

And so nobody is observing the 30 limit and clearly the Gardaí aren't interested in enforcing what they also see as a nonsensical limit.

I've already written to the Lord Mayor and the Chairs of the South East Area Committee and the Transportation policy Committee seeking to have any minor works needed on Strand Road expedited and the speed limit restored to the default urban limit of 50,in the interests of consistency and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Gardai are not interested in enforcing most speed limits, though given your fondness for the law I would have thought you would at least give lip service to suggesting drivers do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As far as speed limits go, it has absolutely zero credibility. Its why I've asked anyone I can think of in a position of influence on the Council to change it.

I couldn't ever suggest anyone observe such a flawed temporary bye-law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I don't cycle any more, but none of the behaviour you mention described either of the cyclists I've personally seen run over by cars, in both cases while cycling tens of metres behind them. Check your blind spots, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Interesting. I've never heard these points before. Also road tax also doesn't exist but hey this has been pointed out a gazillion times before. And fully taxed motorists are quite capable of these behaviours, with much more devastating consequences. For some reason those these are tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Saw this thread for the first time just now... saw it had 48 pages ... bet myself that by 48 pages they HAVE to be complaining about cyclists.

Clicked "48" and ..... Didn't leave disappointed.

Advertisement