Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Appreciate it lads, no matter which of the new EVs I look at I always come back to its not a Tesla.

What's the story with the UK now? Is it totally off the table. I'm trying to read up about it but it's not very clear. There seems to be extra costs with the higher 23% VAT and an extra customs charge that can be 10%.

While the discount is much less, the extra spec and availability still has it seem less me an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You could keep an eye out for cars in the North. No VAT upon import, as long as they were registered up there before the end of last year. From the rest of the UK is not so good.

The cheapest Tesla Model S for sale in the whole of the UK is a bog standard 2014 5 seater now GBP26k. That is €30.7k. To get it transported to Ireland by a transport company also doing the clearing for you would add about a grand. So €31.7k. If you are very, very lucky, Revenue will deem the car to be worth under €35k here, so no VRT is due (if you are buying a slightly newer / nicer 7 seater, you are likely to pay some VRT). I don't think you will have to pay import duty as the car used to be in the EU, but you will certainly have to pay VAT, which is 23%, so €7.3k. Making this cheapest of the cheap GBP26k Tesla Model S car suddenly €39k over here. Very best scenario.

For comparison, the cheapest Model S for sale in Ireland is also a bog standard 2014 5 seater (in white) for €37k

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The north had one S85 for 28kGPB, much cheaper.

I checked the revenue calculator and there's no VRT on any 2014-15 tesla. Once the OMSP (including depreciation) is below 50k there's no VRT. Once it goes to €50,001 OMSP then you pay 7% on the entire OMSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I think the jump seat option also entails strengthening of the rear of the car to protect the small occupants, so retrofitting isn't an option.

Even a heavy car like a Tesla Model S can be cheap to run, and if you slow down just a little bit, your range increases and your consumption goes down.

• Advertisement

I glanced at my screen the other day and saw 140Wh/km over the last 50km. And I have a pretty heavy right foot (although that might have been the missus driving 🤣)

That extrapolates to a range of 550km (presuming I have about 77kWh left of my originally available 79kWh) And a totally unbelievable price of less than 0.74c / km based on my night rate of 4.79c / kWh incl VAT and 10% charging losses

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

73kW more likely, apart from normal degradation Tesla increased their buffer in 2019 so all S's saw an instant range drop.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah, they "took" another 4-5 kWh for a buffer. I remember range testing my S90D and being shocked at getting 72-74kWh from 100% to 0%, but doing the math with 5-7% degradation and the new buffer taken, it makes sense.

The new buffer is 4kWh but I don’t know how that’s split top/bottom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I have this in my notes. Can't remember the source.

Original 60 - ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.

85/P85/85D/P85D - ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable

90D/P90D - ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable

Original 70 - ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable

75/75D - 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable

Software limited 60/60D - 62.4 kWh usable

Software limited 70/70D - 65.9 kWh usable

The larger packs use a 4 kWh bottom lockout and the smaller packs use a 2.4 kWh bottom lockout.

That's from this well known link garo:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

So this was before the new buffers then?

Dunno about the rest but scanmytesla shows my 85 with 4kWh buffer.

In the States they are stepping back the 2019 battery and charging restrictions after a class action lawsuit so that may happen here eventually (paltry $600 payout too).

In Norway they were rightly screwed with large payout for same shenanigans

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s possible to retrofit the rear jump seats but obviously a few mods to make it compatible such as the rear bumper bar as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Same here. The kids won't sit in the main cabin and when they are in the car it feels like I'm driving solo. Another huge bonus for me is that there are no car seats cluttering up the main cabin. As Bobby mentioned, my son is 9 now and he's at the weight limit that these seats are rated for so he won't have much longer in them, the younger one though ..... he's obsessed with the rear facing seats!!!

@elm327 Can you do a quick summary of your MCU2 upgrade experience please

Saw this beauty at SuC today, had a good lookie, very tasty matt blue wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Advertisement

It was in the first ICE parking spot so he was a good boy

What do you want to know?

Arrived at 845AM, worked in their little office and left at 5pm with a new car and my wallet 2k lighter (including FM retrofit).

I'd consider this as mandatory as I do the CCS retrofit. If you have an MCU1 car you need this.

LOL, wouldn't call it mandatory. It's a lot of money for a quicker computer particularly if you don't really go onto the internet with it, never play games or have no intention to watch Netflix! Sure your Google maps will load quicker but what else is so good / must have about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Someone suggested on another site that the nav map update for 2021 wasn’t being deployed to MCUv1 cars. I’m not sure how true that is.

If you get the MCU upgraded, do they upgrade APv2.5 to v3 at the same time or do you have to have FSD for that? The lack of speed limit sign recognition on 2.5 is annoying.

I just got a nav map update last week. I remember because the nav refused to work until the update was installed! So that seems not true.

I thought Tesla only upgraded AP hardware if you have FSD, but not entirely sure.

Mandatory if you have AP1 and the MCU is going to fail anyway.

In severus before the update to MCU2 it was practically unusable. It used to reset while driving.

They sometimes update the AP2.5-AP3 but not always. If you want to be guaranteed the upgrade then you need to have paid for FSD.

So just home last night in the wee hours from Scottish roadtrip, 1,947kms driven, 364kWh energy consumed so that's 187 Wh/km.

Vast majority was at max speed limit on lots of Motorways and A roads, fully laden car with 4 occupants and lots of suitcases etc.

19 SuC visits required but I must stress the majority of them were less than 10 minutes as I'm a firm believer in splash/dash, 8 separate SuC locations used, no queuing and no issues of any description when hooking up, hooked up at less than 10% SOC a good few times to max charge rate and minimise charging time.

SuC being utilised a lot more from previous visits in Scotland, shed load of M3's out an about

I went from MCU1 to MCU2 and AP2 to AP3. I had Enhanced Autopilot. Sentry Mode alone is worth the upgrade.

• Advertisement

Important to note that you only get sentry mode if you have >=AP2

Advertisement