Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

that enfield location ain't the best, would have been better to be at service station and/or in kinnegad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's no definitive dates on SuC, they just start works which can take a few weeks or much shorter, they can actually pop up quite quickly at times.

I feel Belfast, Athenry and Sandyford will all be done together as they need ESB works prior to install.

Enfield would be a great one for me too, regular enough route

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Have to say they are noticeably busier this last while. I went to the north on Friday and on the way back I stopped in castlebellingham. 2 model 3's and an X charging so I took the 4th stall. When I came out from the shop one of the 3's had gone and was replaced with an S. Another few minutes passed and another 3 left and within a couple of minutes another 3 took its place!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Agree on them being a lot busier lately,.,.

was in Birdhill earlier and at one point 5 of us were plugged in… checked the map and Ballacolla showed only 1 available, so 7 cars there…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

“Further information required” according to Galway Coco on the Athenry site, requested on 5/8.

Not sure what that means in terms of a delay.

Was charging earlier today at CB North, four Model 3's arrived at various stages of my charge.

One was LHD on Luxembourg plates

Nice example of what Tesla do, 12 in a Park and Ride in Perth, Scotland. Hopefully what we will see here.

Also, speaking to a UK based Tesla engineer yesterday and Tesla are opening up the UK network, just working out App details

Athenry (& Enfield) can’t come quick enough……

Pulled into an empty Galway Plaza this afternoon and plugged into the 150kW unit, and within 30 seconds, another Model 3 arrived and plugged into the 50kW unit. Then about 15 minutes later a Model S pulled in, followed by another Model S about 2 minutes later!!!! I got to 80% and got out of dodge to allow the 1st S to start charging (I also advised him it could be worth his while looking for a CHAdeMO adaptor so if he encountered the same situation again he could at least pull some meaningful charge from the CHAdeMO while waiting for a CCS plug to free up.

OT: but it was absolute fcuking lunacy putting only 1 CCS & a CHAdeMO on those 150kW units…. Should be minimum 2 CCS plugs in it and if they wanted, a 3rd plug could have been CHAdeMO.

It must also be time for the ESB to get the finger out and get numerous high speed charging hubs up and running. The one at junction 14 is excellent but this needs to be replicated quickly throughout the country.

• Advertisement

its not even working properly yet though!!!!!!

I was there on Sunday and it was maxed out at 4 cars….. no more cars could charge.

I know it’s still in testing phase…. But it was ‘officially opened’ almost a month ago!!!! Eamo was even there for his photo op….

Jesus that's poor!! I was there just over a week ago and it was fairly quiet and I didn't check the charging speed but it seemed to charge quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

What is the unit cost on the Irish SuCs and is it different on v2/v3? After I ran out of my free units I have been charged 32 and 38 c/kWh while traveling which is alright compared to Ionity but a bit more than I expected. Seems like there is likely an increased rate at peak hours here in Finland as both chargers were v2. Will collect plenty of comparative rates toward the end of month when we drive back to Ireland.

The 50 kW CCS chargers here typically cost 0.30 per minute. In other words an an hour of charging costs 18 quid and if your car can charge at constant 50 kW this results in approx. 40 c/kWh).

There's no list for SuC pricing, you click on the SuC in the car screen and it will let you know the pricing.

There is no difference between V2 and V3 pricing.

There is no dynamic pricing in Ireland so same cost whatever time of day.

Some SuC have tiered pricing with low kW delivery (typically less than 60kW) half that of higher speed, this is legacy so you are not "punished" if another Tesla hooked up to a shared stall when you were already charging, nice touch Tesla. This does not exist in Ireland.

Some SuC charge by minute but this does not exist in Ireland.

From memory Ballacolla has a higher cost than the other Irish SuC hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

If Tesla open up charging network, there is also likely a benefit to the data they would collect about the non-Tesla vehicles plugging in.

Overall, it seems if they can design a system that allows the chargers be used when they stations are fairly empty anyway, but essentially reserved for Tesla vehicles when stations are busy, then it should all be fine

Plus as well more users = more revenue which would allow for network expansion (at existing and new sites).

Imagine driving from A to B (even in Ireland), and having a choice of 3-4 SuC’s to use for your top up, with the car deciding which one you stop at based on SoC% & how busy/quiet a particular SuC is at that very time.

Tesla are in an extremely well placed position to become the de facto charging network for CCS cars….. and car sales will be their little side business…..

There’s nothing to say more charging revenue = more SuC, we just don’t know any specifics yet

…and I firmly believe the Model 2 will destroy the price point competition so existing SuC usage will explode. Not to even mention the Y

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

All articles I've read of late about the opening up of the network intimate this - i.e. using addtional revenue from 3rd party charging to expand the network. It may also may make Tesla eligible for more green energy credits, tax rebates etc, especially in the US, if they do so increasing the bottom line.

What I can't see happening is the kind of exclusivity aigne suggests whereby Tesla cars get preference over all others at peak times. What has been signaled is dynamic pricing to during times of peak demand. From an article 2 weeks ago (linky here):

Musk made some statements on pricing and plans to introduce a more advanced dynamic pricing based on charging speed and traffic at certain stations to encourage shorter charging sessions. In other words, those who charge more slowly (and thus occupy the charging station longer) should pay more. The price per kilowatt-hour could also be raised during peak periods to manage utilisation.

For me it's a disaster. Ireland is small....very small in the scheme of things. There's absolutely no reason to think that the Tesla network will suddenly explode across Ireland because there is additional revenue being made from other users.

The winners in this are every other manufacturer. Why would VW or any other manufacturer bother investing in the Irish charging network? They'll just say "sure use Tesla's chargers".

You're in the market for a new EV in the future. What's Tesla's unique selling point? An exclusive supercharging network open only to you? Not any more. Might as well look and see what else is out there from more "established" car makers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭wassie

I've got an open mind as I think we will have to wait and see. One favorable scenario would if be Tesla gives preferential pricing to its customers which could have an impact - you only need to see Ionity usage as evidence of this.

Besides if there's money to be made as the demand for charging infrastructure increases, you can expect there will be competition. And I wouldn't expect it to be coming from the other manufacturers either as there are plenty of big players already in this space on the mainland.

I’d imagine there is money to be made but the cost of the high power chargers is very high, all the Tesla SuC have on the inside is a series of wall charger modules so have to cost significantly less than competitors, they are dumb with all the required tech for access in the car itself.

Interesting software to be worked on for other makes to gain access, nevermind ingress to parking spots for cable access, the SuC cables are bang on length wise for Tesla rear left access, anything else and I’d rightly be pissed off if another make was blocking two chargers because of differing charge port location and “short” cable

Cork gone from App, they closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

On what are you basing your statements about 'all the Tesla SuC have on the inside is a series of wall charger modules?" - this sounds very unlikely given that the wall chargers do not actually have any ability to convert Ac to DC nor any 'modules' inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is a known fact, the series of modules are in the white boxes beside the charging tombstones. The actual "superchargers" themselves are dumb units. All the comms is between the car and base.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think it might be a mixup in terminology or wording but all he is really saying is that the thing with the cable hanging off it is relatively dumb. There is no screen or RFID reader or buttons etc. You plug it into the car and the car partakes in a authentication exchange with Tesla servers to start the charge.

i.e.

they are dumb with all the required tech for access in the car itself

Ultimately though, a SuC isnt much different to an eCars rapid charger. It still has a hefty grid connection and power modules etc that have to be commissioned onsite so the costs are still going to be large. I think slave is just talking about the "access" side (screens, RFID readers etc).

But all (most) chargers have their 'gubbins' in associated transformers not integrated into the actual unit where the cable is, see Ionity or J14 Mayfield for exactly the same setup? - the 'pedestals' are electrically just dumb relays in almost all cases, albeit the Ionity et al ones have to include screens to handle payment and sign-in, which Tesla do not

Worth noting that Ionity (at least) are supporting the plug and charge standard so the car will identify itself within multiple countries already (just like Tesla does now, but across multiple charging providers with roaming) - e.g. I understand Taycan already have exactly the same user experience as tesla when using Ionity, just plug-in and walk away. VAG are on the record that they will support this on the ID range by end 2021.

My original query was what any of this had to do with 'wall charger modules' - I'm still not sure how the TWC (which has no AC-DC capability of any sort) has anything to do with what's inside the massive SuC white boxes which include rectifiers etc but useful discussion nonetheless.

Pretty much all other charging pedestals have the "validation" and "controls" available at the pedestal. The comms is handled between the software in the charger pedestal and the base. With tesla, it's between the car and base.

Regarding the 12 chargers inside, this part explains it well. It's 12 of the onboard chargers. Not sure who introduced it being like the wall charger, that was probably confused nomenclature. The hardware is the same as the onboard AC chargers.

Supercharger SuperGuide – TeslaTap

"In the 120 kW Supercharger, these charger units were like the ones in the pre-refresh Model S. (i.e. 12 * 10 kW = 120 kW). The European chargers were rated at 11.25 kW as are the newer 48-amp S/X chargers. Twelve of these yields 135 kW total power. The newest urban chargers appear to use a 145 kW cabinet."

That makes a lot more sense, thanks. And KCross nailed it also.

Expanding my other point, should we presume that if tesla are going top open up SuC they could only do it to other cars which have 'plug and charge' enabled since the car would need to be identified somehow to the SuC - or do we think that the Tesla back-end is capable of switching on or off a particular port without communicating with the car at all (presumably based upon use of a web page or app to make payment)

• Advertisement

Plug and charge is far from painless at the moment. Only videos I've seen it doesnt work, and when it does, you can't use your preferential pricing card for Ionity meaning you're paying full whack

If they do open up the SuC, it's likely going to be using an app that "talks to" the same tesla back end that the cars do today while doing the handshake at the SuC

Advertisement