Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is causing the labour shortages at the moment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

The pup payment is a huge factor. We have a construction company, and we’re lucky we have good staff and looked after them right throughout without any government hand outs. However, whereas last year, construction workers came off the pup and back to workplaces, they won’t do it now because it’s closed for entry, so they’ll stay on it till they’re literally booted off it. A lot also doing cash in hand jobs on the side. Foreign workers have moved, and young fellas wouldn’t work their way out of a paper bag these days, all want handy number jobs. It’s not going to change any time soon.

As fir hospitality I’d say again similar issues with pup being too good for scratching your arse, why work for an extra 80 quid. But, it’s great to see young kids able to get summer jobs again, delighted to see them working away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Your story all too common and sorry to hear this. Remain positive, I know easier said than done. I think it's really unfortunate that some think people are not genuinely trying to apply for jobs and essentially being ignored with the only narrative being "There's a shortage of Labour"

Good luck regardless 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its construction, hospitality, and areas of care work, not in every sector, and yes there are genuine shortages in those areas.

Completely disagree, firstly Hospitality is not open a wet week, the RAI constantly stated 180k Hospitality staff looking forward to returning to work, at the time of that absurd statement the department of SW own stats stated 60k of pup recipients were from. Hospitality sector and I might add from. Numerous roles that had nothing to do with restaurants.

There continues to be this ill informed notion that PUP was too generous. As of September 2020 ( yes 2020) the PUP payment was drastically reduced, not more than 12% retained the max rate of €350 pw, Most get €300, €250 or €203 pw. As of 7th September 2021, anyone on the €250 and lower rate goes onto JSA and all students returning to full time education loose it

So just to put a little context, also. Worth pointing out there are still sectors fulling closed to include children's play centres, bowling alleys and even a lot of Pubs and restaurants have not reopened.

Finally there is by far more people in receipt of the wage subsidy scheme, in essence government paying 75% of payroll cost for 100"s of thousands of staff, essentially PUP under a different name propping up thousands of businesses.

Retail outside of the food sector is probably dying on its feet as well.

• Advertisement

It is, the Pandemic speeded up the move to online shopping and customers unlikely to return to high Street. Big cities might survive but a lot of large rural towns have seen footfall plummet since restrictions ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭3d4life

What parts of retail are you thinking of, Mariaalice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I ventured online for nearly the first time shopping wise during Lockdown 2, the price of clothes is absolutely staggering compared to the high street. Expensive I mean. Zalondo, ASOS, I saw stuff on them I bought two years ago in the shops for 30 quid less, the popularity of these sites frankly amazes me, absolute rip off merchants. MandM direct is the only decently priced one. Pretty much the only time I buy online is when I've seen something I fancy in real life but the shop is sold out of my size.

It will be a dark, and very expensive, day if high street shopping ever becomes a thing of the past.

The question is why is there a labor shortage in hospitality, some care work, and construction not that there is a general labor shortage. While hospitality and care work are not well-paid, construction is very lucrative. The person who said it will take 2 to 3 years to see what is happening is correct. Another point there is a Macdonalds near me with a bit sign saying recruiting I asked my nephew how he got his job, he walked around to every hotel restaurant and cafe till he got a job starting with doing the washing up, with young people there is a hierarchy of jobs, jobs in centra or a cool cafe are going to be top of the pile while washing up in the local hotel or working in supermacs or MacDonalds not so much

I don't equate Mac Donald's in the category of Hospitality sector and I'm not wishing to demean the perfectly good jobs they offer, I would question rates of pay, terms and conditions etc but I do take your point.

But the original question stems in part from labour shortages in two main sectors, Hospitality and construction as these are the sectors that have been most vocal about shortages. Whilst my experience is hospitality, I've laid out some reasons but its actually also the case some businesses in this sector are infact not actually hiring or bringing back experienced and qualified staff that are actually available and have been applying, instead relying on reduced staffing levels, reduced services and hiring less experienced part time staff. Just as an example, a number of hotels are not offering leisure facilities, some have reduced menu's, changed breakfast service format, one well known hotel recently fed its customers at its sister hotel across the road and a lot have either reduced or stopped room service. I've also explained an enormous amount of very experienced staff have left the country, not all but a lot. I've further stated the hospitality sector was very poor in taking up wage support schemes allowing them in some way retain staff, instead letting staff go and are now scratching their heads wondering how did that happen.

I don't know much about construction but I do know, more and more tradespeople are only being offered roles in a self employed capacity (contractor status), this is neither practical or viable for a lot of trades people so in a small way is perhaps affecting recruitment.

• Advertisement

Thats a pretty good advantage. Get home midday and you have the rest of the day to yourself, having got some exercise in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I expect there's a certain amount of people who've walked away from jobs and possibly out of the market completely after re-examining their priorities.

I mean, if your work day has consisted of both parents getting up at stupid o'clock, getting kids up and out the door to creche, getting back at five and spending an hour with the kids, rallying them to bed and then collapsing on the couch, monotonously over and over, lockdown would have been a massive shock to the system.

You can imagine plenty of people would have spent that time thinking, "Jaysus this is hard", but also, "WTF am I doing with my life". There would be a realisation with many people that one parent could ditch work, in full or in part, and between the savings on creche and other things, they'd only be down €2k a year, which can be found by reducing spending on cars or on TV or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Was recently offered €18 an hour for a Construction Labourer job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A huge amount of it is this, there's people who were treated awfully by the hospitality sector, crap pay, conditions and hours who have now found out there's far better and more stable jobs out there. The entire hospitality industry and from the anecdotal stories ive heard especially the pubs need to wake up and start treating their staff like people.

Although its not really surprising that the pubs are the worst offenders and are still acting like its everyone else who is in the wrong considering their absolute inability to adapt or change. Every time they are ever faced with a challenge or issues their lobbyists run to government to encircle the wagons and protect them from any consequences of being intransigent troglodytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Yes of course ive had jobs, I only started working properly when I completed my postgrad as it was only then that employers started taking me seriously, but even then it was a struggle.

thats great for your nieces and nephews, unfortunately that's not how it is for all young people starting out and making that statements such as your niece and nephew didnt have that problem, undermines the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

The trouble nowadays is the young people won't do manual labour, they would rather work in Tesco or the hospitality industry and moan and complain about getting the minimum wage.

If they only did it for the summer they might spot some trade or some job they might be good at. but most would rather spend half their lives going to college and then can't get a job when they finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dearth of cheap foreign labour, locals moving into other sectors after they realised hosptiality wages and conditions are dogshit and there's shortages in other areas. Obviously increasing wages is not an option, heaven forbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In construction, my boss has an awful time getting lads.

One fella, actually good to work wasn't bothered about going back to site legitimately, claiming pup until hes booted of and doing under the counter work for himself.

The agencies are offering the dregs, one fella on his first day drove a telehander into materials and literally fcuked off home. Lads with bad attitudes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Agencies have always been the same, pay a little as they can get away it, to them it's all about the hours not what the worker is capable of.

But it's a handy way for some young lad to get his foot in the door, There is always plenty of trades on the lookout for a good worker and they would take them from agencies.

Advertisement