Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,457 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Which part of it is Biden's fault, specifically? Delaying the troop withdrawal, so it could be done more safely than the previous May 1 deadline? Me, the intel failure, for sure. They should have definitely had an inkling that the military would fold without resistance like this, that had to have been planned in some way for how swift and uniformly successful it was.

The reason "Thousands of ISIS and associated terrorists are now on the loose" is precisely because they were released from jail, 5,000 of them at least, under an agreement Trump made, including the commander of the forces that just took Afghanistan. Who then went on to release thousands more this week.

If Obama had released Osama Bin Laden from Jail, and then Bin Laden took over Afghanistan that would be .... not Obama's fault, if it happens 8 months into a Trump presidency? lol okay.

Re, your juvenile ad hominem: I'm not a Biden "fanboy," thanks. I was always going to vote for whatever ticket was running against Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Spectacular mess up by the Biden administration. They made an absolute dog's dinner of the withdrawal. First they changed the date which the previous administration had agreed. Then they seemed to pull out of bases like Bagram at a greatly elevated speed. They continued air attacks on the Taliban but at such a low intensity and frequency, that they had no outcome on battlefield conditions. Still it handed a propaganda coup to the Taliban that they could paint it as them having endured American attacks.

Still plenty of blame to reasonably place on his predecessors. Trump for a negotiation excluding the Afghan government and wanting to rush out of the war. Obama for the surge with attached withdrawal date. It doesn't take a Clausewitz to figure out a response to it. Bush for the cock ups and switch to focus on Iraq. Managed to erode a magnificent amount of international support and goodwill in one term.

Also Bush Sr., Regan and Carter if you were inclined to have a long term view on the shortcomings of proxy wars. Guns and rockets among other support to groups of religious fundamentalists. There's going to be blowback.

The real losers are the women of Afghanistan and anyone that was helpful to Western efforts. Still can't have too much negativity for a Monday morning. The current incumbent pointed out the War and US involvement had spanned four administrations split between the two parties. Biden did end America's longest war, so that will be a place in the history.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Will his party now welcome these sisters to his homeland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The only place looking great into the future in Europe in terms of the fallout from this is Hungary

Europe needs a wall ,places like Afghanistan will take a thousand years to meet our standards of civilisation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Notmything

Nevermind that, of those 6,000, how many are support or non combat? If the armchair tacticians start spreading them out then their power will be diluted, it'll be harder to supply, transport or support them and it'll end up with a bunch of small isolated garrisons surrounded by bad guys.

Video coming out of Kabul airport now of desperate people literally falling from planes in mid-air. Shameful stuff from the MIC and the 'international community'.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

The Afghan army fled to Tajikistan. They just weren't able or willing to fight. Hard to believe that the US military who trained them would overestimate their abilities - especially since the US military certainly knows how to train effective soldiers. That makes me think (but what do I know) that they damn well knew the afghan army wouldnt fight. These people are not dumb - they are the most powerful military in the world. Did Biden know? I suspect he did as why wouldnt he. Of course he knew. Which means he didnt care. His implementation of this has backfired on him now politically. The Policy of withdrawing troops - is fine. The Implementation of it - with such a lack of contingency plan is absolutely outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement

ur confusing the Afghan army with the Afgan people. They are not happy with the Taliban regime. They have enjoyed freedom from it for 20 years. There is a population of 32 million here. there are pocketfuls of support im sure. But a large amount of Afghan people are terrified. Thats millions of people. Please dont downplay this atrocity. They have already been abandoned politically and by various militaries - at least lets give them our empathy. These are our fellow humans here.

I just watched that. Along with the video from the airport, it's horrible.

Imagine how many people will be killed since they couldn't be taken out of the country as initially planned.

The handling of this has been atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I assume the US thought the afghan army would hold long enough for them to withdraw from the country. But they folded. Which I thought was a bit of stereotype in books and movies about the conflict but does appear to be entirely true. I don't think anyone expect them to completely fold as they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The US wants to be an empire without the commitment that empire requires, regime change and then **** off when the wind changes direction leaving your allies swinging.

Many regimes will look to how Russia and China treat their aligned nations and think thats the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Taliban need a common enemy with the west gone they will turn on each other, also any support from other Muslim states will fall away as well, million will flee into surrounding countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Its not just Jimmy from Serkay who lives in fear of the Taliban.. its the majority of Afghans from all of Afghanistan. Its how they rule and control the population,terror under the guise of Sharia Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I wonder if the new Taliban government will continue to host the TTP and the BLA. NATO is no longer around, so nothing to stop Pakistani military launching air strikes if the Taliban sit on their hands and do nothing about them.

Afghan government has been funded, trained and equipped by the largest military on the planet for the last 20 years. According to you, they have popular support and yet the Taliban went through them like a dose of salts.

Doesn't say much for the resolve of the Afghan people does it?

Undoubtely we'll be asked to rehouse them once the NGOs start shipping them over. More Islamic colonies and some headless teachers a small price to pay for another chance to show empathy.

Imagine looking at a country after two decades of war and bitching about the resolve of the people. Some people really were lucky enough to not be born in the country they deserved to be born in.

Its much easier to secure the Airport than the city itself,,,,,,for a long time now, with Kabul under massive protection from both the US and ANA forces, the Talban attacked it successfully, using suicide bombers, VIEDS etc. And this time, they simply walked in with weapons hidden, and when it suited them, they put on the black caps, produced the Talib flags and their weapons. But by then, it was effectively over. I'm sure that they could attack the Airport, but now it will be strongly defended, and they will lose a lot of men. The soldiers there will fight, and they won't be fighting with one hand tied either....fire coming from buildings will result in the whole building being demolished. The Taliban are not so good when it comes to fighting equal or superior forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Biden is doing a fantastic job in fairness.

where did i say the afhan army had popular support. i said the Afghan people were afraid of the Taliban. I dont think we can even begin to imagine how fear has damaged resolve can we. How you are so afraid to say or do anything because of the consequences to yourself and to your family. and yes they deserve empathy and I'm giving my energy towards the Afghan people right now and contemplating the situation they are in. so feel free to quip your cynical one liners but i wont respond to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Someone suggested this was due to they are still tribal. I don't know if thats the reason, but they've never been able to form a nation for long. Going back over history its not solely been tribal conflicts.

They are decidedly unhappy about it. for sure. But when the gun is held to your head, not much you can do about it.

yes exactly. we are so privileged to live in a place where you have opportunity and freedom. we can open the door every day and walk into the fresh air and decide what we want to do that day or at least ENVISION what we want to do and work towards it. and if we make mistakes and dont succeed we can try again. These poor people dont even have the luxury of envisioning a different way of live. They have lived through a nightmare and will now continue to live in that nightmare and people on here are lessening their plight by admonishing their resolve.

If only someone had armed them...oh wait

Afghanistan is always going to be this way, you'd imagine the wests priority would be to keep that tribalistic religious lunacy inside their own borders. I see the Queen of performative empathy in New Zealand is asking the Taliban not to treat women like donkeys, pretty please. Goes down well in certain circles I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Another US success story, I think we can put the myth to bed that they just want to spread democracy and care about humanity, I'm sure they've achieved or attained whatever it was they wanted in Afghanistan, now time to flee

Even with "only" 3'000 troops in a perimeter defence ring around the airpoort, and attack helicopters overhead in support, there's not much going to get through that they don't let trough, bearing in mind that their defence positions will be carefully chosen, and they will not be short weapons, ammunition or determination, unlike the poor ANA Commandos who were not even supplied with enough bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

Say what you want about Trump, Ill say I think he would of handled this much better.

• Advertisement

Its not enough to arm them, you have to look after them, pay them, motivate them and most important, provide leadership. Except that in the cesspit of corruption that existed, these last two were non existent .

Advertisement