Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Masks, social distancing in indoors locations and working from home are the 3 biggest ones. The only way you're avoiding masks and social distancing measures really is if you never leave your house or go inside anywhere. Some people might not see the WFH stuff as a restriction as it benefits them, but it's crap for a lot of people who don't have the space to have a home office

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

It’s impossible then

Why are cases a key metric when vaccines prevent hospitalisation?

How do you get down to an RO below 1 for a virus that is RO of 8?

Vaccines can’t stop the spread, they’ll stop hospitalisation but not cases

If Delta really is chicken pox contagious, RO below 1 is impossible with no restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I don't shop every day, I don't use public transport, I've never had to do the QR thing since this started, social distancing only occurs in queues shopping these days so if I'm not in a shop, I don't encounter this restriction. I have my own office at work. I could go through a few days in a week not having not encountered any restrictions. To say there's a myriad of restrictions on every aspect of people's lives is simply wrong.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Unfortunately they are quite practiced at re-pinning those colours to a different mast.

Do you remember a couple of months ago when we just needed to hold firm for another few weeks? Now its August and still we are waiting another few weeks again just to hear a possible plan...

• Advertisement

That's an absolute piss take.. is a normal day for you something out of the OMEGA Man??

Being told "you may" meet up with anyone who's deemed to be safe in accordance to the GOVT in your own or their home?

He's what I think ok, if indeed you say you can go about NORMALLY, then the case can be made that you have been totally unaffected by all of this, and remain to be so.. That simply cannot be true Pen? that's grasping at straws stuff c'mon now. and indeed if that's the case, one mans rules are another mans republic.

I absolutely agree that they are restrictions but I could go through a few days without encountering any. I was pointing out that the 'myriad of restrictions on every aspect of people's lives' is completely inaccurate.

I was at a music festival over the weekend north of the border. It was excellent.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Get up, drive to work, eat packed lunch during the day, call out to various sites (outdoor), drive home, eat dinner. That would be the usual Monday to Friday. If I don't have to call in to a shop, I'm restriction free during the working week. So - not a myriad of restrictions on every aspect of my life.

It's not a piss-take. Read my reply as to what a normal working day is like. If I don't have to call in to a shop, I'm restriction free.

Do you not have any social distancing or mask requirements of any kind where you work? That would be very unusual if that were the case.

What about going for normal things like a cup of of coffee indoors, getting petrol, going to a shop, going out for a bite to eat etc. That would be more a akin to normal than just going to work and that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Just because the things YOU do might not be restricted does not mean NOBODY is restricted. Are you telling us that you can go through a whole day without wearing a mask? This “I’m alright Jack” attitude is getting really old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They weren't although if you were due to get a service installation in recent months (sky in my example) they could refuse to enter your home unless the room they were operating on had open windows and you wore a mask in said room (in your own home)

Not sure if it was legal but their main website stated that they weren't installing at all so that was probably their fallback

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm sitting at home working as I have been since March 2020 so straight off 8 hours of my life are under restrictions before I even try to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's good to hear, unfortunately for a lot of people that's not the case. We do have a problem with this government trying to micromanage almost every aspect of life but as you say it can depend on your own circumstances.

How was the gig by the way? Must have been great to have some level of normality resume, even if you needed to cross the border to get it. Might be a while before we have that luxury down here though.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

So you make your lunch (where do you buy the ingredients mask free, masks are conditional to Entry, so restriction right there.),

The sites are all outdoors, you have no need to call into clients and fill in a sheet which requires a myriad of question, the answers to which will decide if you are allowed on site that or any day based on you're exposure history and health status (do you feel like you currently have a temperature/cough).

You've very lucky all your work is outdoors with no call to be inside at all for anything.

where do you go the toilet? side of the road I'll bet? because use of any toilet requires a mask, NOT NORMAL and indoors are RESTRICTED to Mask wearers at least.

Aren't; you lucky Omega man 🤣

I work in construction. It's mostly outdoors unless I'm in the office. We're supposed to wear masks in the communal areas which we did for a while at the start but it doesn't happen anymore. The places that I stop for fuel have a 'hatch' so you don't even need to enter the shop. I can make coffee in the kitchen at work so no need to call into a shop. I take a packed lunch. Like I've said, if I don't need to call into a shop, I'm restriction free during the working week.

So the lad who had to leave the country to go to a gig says that there are no restrictions as long as he doesn't go near a shop or business?

Is this a wind up?

Didn't you go to Northern Ireland for a festival/concert and were bemoaning that we couldn't do "normal" things like that down here??

Also you are saying the sites where you work are ignoring government and CIF regulations and guidelines on masks etc. Interesting. Are there any other safety measures being ignored on these sites?

Where did I say, "NOBODY is restricted." Where? You'll not find it because I didn't say it. Yes, I can, and do, go through a whole day without wearing a mask.

Hmmm, not sure what sites you're working on but all the construction sites I've been on over the past year have a lot of COVID "measures" (also known as restrictions) in place.

• Advertisement

First paragraph - yes. Not sure what your point is though...?

Second paragraph - I work (mostly) outdoors. The people I'm overseeing are, by the nature of the work, socially distanced anyway. If, for any reason, the team have to be in close contact, then they have to wear face coverings. I don't have to as I'm not in close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Reading this, I think we're going to be lucky if we don't roll new restrictions. We're already over 83% of the population vaccinated with a single dose, with over 90% fully vaccinated in the 40+ years old. Vaccinating the remaining people will not make any real difference in hospitals, so yes the hospitals will be under struggle (as they do every year anyway). Vaccine seems to reduce transmission, but if we're not below R1 now I don't see it happening once we vaccinate a few more people, so I think numbers will stay in the current ballpark for a long time.

Plus by keeping the 1 meter and mark distancing indoor it's basically saying that the nightclubs and the live event industry it's going to be closed until Spring 2022. Madness.

Can you at least acknowledge how inane your post was?

Monty Python style "what have the romans ever done for us" stuff. "If I don't do all these restricted things then there are no restrictions for me". No **** sherlock.

Yeah. If you want to list those restrictions, I'll tell you how they don't affect me. Lads, I'll say it again...the 'myriad of restrictions on every aspect of people's lives' is completely inaccurate.

The festival was fúcking amazing! It was so good to be back doing what I enjoy most - listening to live music, in a field full of likeminded people, drinking stout. There were hugs galore and lots of laughter.

First paragraph - Don't you do a 'big shop' once a week? I do. That's me sorted for lunches for the week.

Second paragraph - no I don't need to call in to clients and fill in a sheet. It's mostly done online.

I go to the toilet at the office where possible. It's a remote office so I'm very often the only one there. If it's a portaloo onsite, I don't wear a mask as there's no one standing around checking people.

I'm not questioning that the restrictions don't affect you daily. My own experience of being on site is different, that's all.

Can you at least acknowledge that saying the 'myriad of restrictions on every aspect of people's lives' was completely inaccurate?

• Advertisement

Fantastic. Can't wait to get to one myself (without the sheep pens of course). You just can't beat the atmosphere at a good outdoor festival.

Advertisement