Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

I’m a little curious as to whether ICU beds are defined as the same thing in different countries and different reports. It’s classified as a fully staffed bed here. I’ve definitely seen some other systems classifying a physical bed in an ICU ward with a ventilator and even the rather basic Nightingale field hospitals having been classified as ICU beds in one media report.

We’ve relatively short staffed hospitals in normal times so I’m not sure where we’ll get the ICU nurses from. They’re in high demand everywhere at the moment and many are also exiting the profession in a lot of countries due to their bad experiences in previous waves.

Whole thing is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As great as our staff are in the hospitals here one thing I will disagree with you on is the need for the tax payer to pony up more money. We already pay way over the EU average per Capita for healthcare, in fact it's one of the most well funded healthcare systems per Capita in the EU.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/state-among-highest-spenders-on-health-per-person-in-oecd-1.3547256?mode=amp

Something tells me giving the HSE more money isn't going to solve a thing. Call it a hunch if you will.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

In terms of health spending per capita we spend we're 13th in the world, just behind France, and a good bit ahead of the UK (17th) and slightly more than Australia, which has a far better health system than we do.

One of the biggest problems is we seem to compare healthcare wages (more so for consultants) with the USA, which is off the scale and out of control on health costs. Ireland spends $5726, Germany $6646, France $5476, Sweden $5782, UK $4653 and the USA $11027. That's total spending per capita in USD PPP.

The US level of health spending, which is mostly private and very lopsided in terms of where it goes, is becoming unsustainable and was in line with spending of the Nordic countries for example in the late 1990s. So, it's inflated beyond belief over the last couple of decades.

From what I can see, Irish medics set their benchmarks in the USA on what they expect to earn and if they don't get it they emigrate.

There needs to be a root and branch audit and reform of what's going on here. We are spending in the upper end of the EU and very much in line with Australia and Canada and most of the Nordic countries, yet we are getting very poor return on spending.

I have never seen Irish medics benchmark their earnings against France, Germany, Sweden, Canada etc. It's always against the US.

Nurses and 'junior' doctors also seem to be treated very poorly.

I fully appreciate that their career shape here is skewed and there are issues with career progress etc, but things like overworking people also come down to being unable to afford extra posts due to extreme fees.

I don't think we can follow up on this because we're incapable of investigating it because there's a status with medical professions here that is similar to the level of respectability carried by lawyers (off the scale fee wise compared to anywhere else in Europe and even mentioned by the IMF) and in the past the clergy. Traditional professions that are beyond discussion.

Also cost control and management seem to be something that doesn't exist in the sector here. Look at the national children's hospital debacle. It's just lashing money into a pit. The national maternity hospital that seems to be giving the hospital as a gift to a religious institution and an IT system hack that cost at least €100m and disrupted the entire healthcare system for the best part of 2 months in the middle of a pandemic.

None of that seems to get followed up on. It's just one scandal after the next and the system keeps stumbling forward sucking up public and private money.

Also, money is being sloshed into it in very large amounts, up there with the best health systems in the world in terms of cost, yet we continuously get stories of under resourced service and a sector that seems to be continuously making out that it's broke.

There's something SEVERELY wrong with it and it needs to be resolved ASAP. It's both inexplicable and inexcusable given the financial resources made available to it.

I would add that ministers who attempt to reform it, and there have been several, have generally been chewed up and spat out and came out of the whole thing extremely damaged. So, it's actually at a stage where it's almost unreformable.

The speed of the vaccine programme shows exactly what the healthcare system here should look like, in every aspect of itself - a polished, efficient, public health system. That, very unfortunately, simply isn't what we have in many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ICU capacity has increased, from 255, to 350 at emergency peak in Jan 2021.

End 2021 target is 321. That's an extra 66, or an increase of about 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well Stendhal was an absolute blast and an emotional experience, just the laid back openness, its very much a family orientated festival with a good dose of guitar rock from the North, there is some serious bands down there.

Some of the people that came from the Republic were totally exhilarated by the experience, many people both Northerners and folk from the South were very much social distancing. In fact, my duty on Friday was to cruise around the Steve Martin arena and gently suggest to people who were queuing at the food vendors and bars to leave a little space between each other, most of the time this was being observed anyway. Mary Coughlan who done a brilliant set remarked that she didn't know how to react, whether to wave her arms in the air or break into dance moves as she hadn't toured for ages, there was many other acts also from the south who mentioned it being an overwhelming experience.

I'll be writing a blog review of the only festival I attended and worked this year, I want to compare the Letterkenny and Derry experience, the contrast and how we are hopefully coming out of the bloody pandemic. I'll post it here and the Electric Picnic and Stendhal Festival forums. It may take a few days to unravel the detail, but I have all the pics and videos transferred to computer, next is the Youtube uploads and then the journalistic endeavour.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,312 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Makes me think the number actually admitted cos they're so sick with covid is tiny so they need to inflate the numbers like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

66 ICu beds extra for a population of 5 million is quite simply not enough .It puts massive strain on the health system and prolongs any lockdown .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The quickest and cheapest way to deal with Covid is not to catch it. That just requires discipline and a bit of common sense.

The virus is spread by people's behaviour. That costs very little to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not everyone has discipline nor the inclination at this stage, that's just human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maxface

I doubt the quickest and cheapest way is. That involves locking down the entire country and business and hoping for the best. We cannot continue to do that. We have the best tool available now which is the vaccine. We know the hospitals can handle much more than we thought. We need to hold our nerve as these numbers increase again and move on with our lives.

No it doesn't. Lockdown is only needed because people can't be bothered to do the simple things they have been repeatedly told how to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

how do you get people to be disciplined? That is gone! People are vaccinated, they’re moving on! This crap about being disciplined and so on is just crap.

Personal responsibility is the way forward. If you or any other person doesn’t feel comfortable in the real world just stay inside and isolate. We can’t keep this going because some people are scared of their own shawdow!

1,800 - 2,000 new cases a day shows that personal responsibility isn't as good as it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭duffman13

2000 new cases shows the general fear from Covid has been removed/reduced significantly due to the vaccine drive and other things. Personal responsibility is on those who have a genuine fear still of Covid to look after themselves in a way they feel comfortable. Festivals, events, pubs, restaurants and general normal life has to return for the vast majority of people at this point.

2000 cases a day at any other point in the pandemic would see a level 5 lockdown introduced. There is a reason its not happening as the risk has seriously reduced

That's not what personal responsibility means though. I means accepting there is a certain amount of virus in circulation and then deciding for yourself if you want to do a certain thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

You are of course entitled to interpret the phrase any way you want.

For me though, I would interpret it to say that as I have elderly family members, some of whom are medically vulnerable, I will forgo things like indoor dining for the time being until we have a better handle on all this.

The responsibility is mine, but my actions, for which I am responsible, will affect other people in my wider family and community.

That, to me, is exercising personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Covid is endemic so you would have to avoid those things indefinitely if that's the view you are taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"We wouldn't have lockdowns if people just had a bit of cop on"

"We wouldn't have people struggling with debt if people just managed their money properly"

"We wouldn't have accidental pregnancies if people just practiced abstinence"

"We wouldn't need AA if people just drank alcohol in moderation".

Amazing that someone would think that the "easiest" solution to a problem is to simply change human nature entirely.

• Advertisement

Which bits of washing your hands, keeping a safe distance or wearing a mask in company involve changing human nature entirely?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The keeping a safe distance part kind of does. People are largely communal and like being in company with other people. 2m apart isn't human nature as it's been.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

So does wearing a pair of shoes. We do things everyday that arent human nature.

What's a safe distance when dealing with an airborne virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Most people over the age of about three can understand that their actions have consequences.

Wow. You clearly live a very different life to most if you think that keeping a safe distance is normal human nature.

I am vaccinated. My friends and family are vaccinated. 80% of the adult population is vaccinated. Its fair to say that "keeping a safe distance" is no longer part of my life. Hand washing is, along with mask wearing in crowded indoor places (for no other reason than in case others around me are nervous)

• Advertisement

Depends on the context. Wearing an oxygen mask while climbing Everest is completely different to wearing one while a plane is plummetting out of the sky.

Advertisement