Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

You have to wonder at this stage if the posts are based on any kind of reality. They come across very Alan Partridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It all just reads as someone who puts a lot of their existence in their job, maybe to feel important? I don't know.

Main take away for me in all of their posts, they have to be seen so they can say they are working hard. Hence, the real need and desire to be in an office so their superiors can actually see them.

It is all very pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭blackcard

The general government advice is that people should work from home where possible. It seems to be the opposite where I work where the mantra seems to be to get as many people to work from the office as possible even where work can just as easily be done from home - public sector worker

Never change Mrs OBumble, I get a laugh out of reading your posts.

Same thing happens where I work with kids going mad and dogs barking.

No one cares, its the year 2021. **** happens.

Also, many have been hybrid working like this, with dogs and kids and doorbells for years. Personally, I’ve been doing it for 8, as have most of my colleagues - 2 or 3 days a week in the office. Many people seem to think this is new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Independent leading with the fact that one third of Covid outbreaks are now linked to workplaces despite the fact that most are closed. More evidence that it's too soon, unsafe and unnecessary to allow offices reopen when the work can be done at home.

Covid-19: Relaxation of social distance rules under consideration (irishtimes.com)

Draft roadmap proposals:

(1) Social distancing to stay until Spring 2022 - as many predicted by many here. i.e many desks out of use in open plan offices.

(2) Lifting other restrictions, like office reopening, to be subject to the following criteria:

1. 85-90% of those aged 16+ fully vaccinated AND
    2. R level below 1 AND
    3. Hospitals aren't "struggling" AND
    4. No "variants of greater transmissibility or vaccine resistance".

We currently don't meet 3 of the 4 criteria, and it is easy to see how hospitals will struggle quite soon, let alone this Winter.

Even with this criteria, there is “profound concern” among public health officials that deterioration in the disease in the coming weeks could make progress harder. HSE say when there will be 400 people in hospital with covid the HSE will be at a "harder to manage" stage.

Based on this criteria, I would guess that the chances that offices will not reopen until Spring 2022 are now even higher.

Post edited by JTMan on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The article says they are considering reducing social distancing to 1 metre in workplaces. This could allow many offices to return much sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I can see them extending WFH to Feb in the public sector where its been working ok.

HSE is a different case.

True, but many offices don't even have 1 meter distance between desks.

In additional, remaining restrictions, including reopening offices, will not be allowed, according to the article, until the 4 Covid criteria are met, so even if an office is spacious the company will have to wait to reopen regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

I really feel like its mixed messaging at the moment.

On the one hand, the Government are saying the beginning of a phased implementation will begin from September onwards. But on the other hand, NPHET and the HSE continue to make nervous sounds as @JTMan outlined above.

Its so hard to know what way it will go. It feels too soon to be talking about returning if we are to believe that things are as precarious as is being made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

WFH, is strangeling business phone wait times crazy for utilities and banks or have their employees left

For many companies the wait times have always been long, I don't think that WFH has had that big an impact on wait times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Agree.

It's the default excuse now for poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Office being closed imo are not a big deal. They should be the last thing to reopen, as people can work from home just fine in most cases.

Agreed. Reopening offices should be one of the very last restrictions lifted. If people can work from home, why put them to any risk in an enclosed office unless it is absolutely necessary. Covid risk in society will have to be at a much lower level before reopening offices can be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Don't our hospitals struggle every winter, even without covid?

I mean, I saw a tweet from the INMO the other day saying that over 300 people were waiting for treatment on trolleys, the highest number since the pandemic began. Which makes it sound like the hospitals are struggling more now than at any point over the past 18 months. What it doesn't say that the record number of people on trolleys is over 700, which was back in 2018. Once flu season starts, and the economy is open (even without office workers) the hospitals will go into their usual winter meltdown. I don't think that should be used as a criteria, because that means we are all WFH from October to April forever more.

I agree that the R number should be below 1 before offices reopen.

I don't think the phrasing should be "a new strain with more transmissibility" - it should be a new strain that is not dealt with as effectively by the vaccines. Of course if a new strain is more transmissible that might increase hospitalisations, but perhaps not to a "struggling" point.

We'll get to the vaccine coverage point in the next week or two, I expect. 90% of adults have had their first shot so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My wife's employer was planning to open the office in September. Only to those who wanted to go in (i.e. very few).

They have now closed it until 2022. She is thrilled.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

My company sent a mail last week that the office is open again for people to come on a voluntary basis, one day per week. Each day has a list of people associated, so for example if I want to go my team is on Mondays and I am not allowed in any other day.

My wife's employer had a plan to open in September, but they are postponing to mid-October now.

If companies really wait for the end of the government recommendation to WFH, I don't see it happening any time soon. My bet is that most of the companies will open before on a voluntary basis, but won't be able to force anyone in before the end of the recommendation

I can't see the end of this really till next Summer and next Summer again i will probably be saying the same thing.

What we're going to have is 20% in at any time and that's the way the office world will be going forward for a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A friend of mine works in an IT company where they have reduced their office space so much that they could only seat 70% of their employees.

They are now asking any employees whether they want to return to the office 5-days-a-week. The rest will be asked to hot-desk with the minimum attendance being 2 days a month (for team meetings). They are still showing higher productivity than in 2019.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

It's a bit ironic that companies would love to ask employees whether they are vaccinated before letting them return to the office but then at the same time want to ignore government advice, which is still WFH where possible, and have them come in at least every so often. Either the public health advice around WFH and vaccines is important or it isn't, the employers cannot pick and choose when they are entirely unqualified as to the level of health risk posed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's going to fall apart a bit when every other country is going back to the office (and events) and we're not in Ireland. It should start off with it removing the required WFH ruling but make it clear that it's entirely optional to go back to the office and not required until some future date.

This would allow those who want to go back to go back, and those who are happy to WFH to WFH without pressure either way.

Hopefully companies can also mandate that only vaccinated workers can return into the office, but unvaccinated can continue to WFH as they have been all along, again, with no pressure either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

You obviously don't work for the government or manage a company with that level of common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Whats the wfh policy in Europe does anyone know? Netherlands France Portugal?

• No further easing of restrictions until end of September.
    • Taoiseach Micheál Martin wants to see the successful return of schools and colleges in the coming weeks before making any significant changes to social distancing rules.
    • Schools and colleges the priority for September.
    • A gradual system for people returning to offices is expected to be included but some businesses are making their own plans i.e. delaying until 2022.

Translation: 

• No offices can reopen until the end of September at the very earliest and that is only if the school and college reopening in September goes to plan. As previously reported by the Irish Times, strict criteria will apply to that decision.
    • The plan to reduce social distancing from 2 meters to 1 meter is on-hold for now. Hence, distance between desks in offices must remain at 2 meters. 
    • After September, the reopening of offices, must be on a phased basis. I wonder if that means 20% at the start?
    • I find it difficult to see how the situation will be better in late September, so fully expect it to get pushed back again then.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Our office told us this week we are reopening in a weeks time - staff split in 2 and working 2 days in 3 at home one week and 3 days in 2 at home the next week....they seem to think its needed for "morale" - be some morale if someone gets unwell and other people around them end up unwell due to it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You're going to see a lot of unquantifiable reasons like morale to drag people back into offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Aw stop, and the "face" was pulled saying it too, you know that face when they know they are speaking bull** !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anybody that is going against government advice and forcing people back into the office at the moment simply doesn't care about employees.

I can see a lot of employees looking to move elsewhere and who can blame them.

Advertisement