Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What was Ghani supposed to do? If he tried to stand in the way of the Taliban he would have ended up like the last Afghan president to face the full onslaught of the Taliban, swinging from a traffic light. And how would that have benefited the Afghan people, if the government and the army had 'gone down fighting'? Likely many of them would have ended up as 'collateral damage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

UK Defence secretary admitting some British passport holders won't be evacuated.

They don't seem to have much control of the airport at all, they are videos of afghans holding onto landing gear of US military planes as they take off and then footage of people falling from planes in the sky.

Its a monumental clusterfuck, not a controlled withdrawl/evacuation by any means.

It's not about Trump v Biden, IMO... that stuff is for halfwits. But I would like all the Dem Party apologists in the Irish politicial and media establishment publically humiliated for throwing their weight behind Biden and the MIC. Bootlickers is all they are.. the New West Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

Biden would want to hurry up already get back in and smash them!

We are so worried about the western people stuck there, what about the millions that live there.

It is a failure on Biden's part, Trump made the deal but would of executed it much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Jesus what is with Irish posters being so fcuking partisan regarding American politicians. Its like a bunch of 12yo fanatics fawning over the latest boy band.

Pathetic bunch of so called grown men. Get a grip of yourselves you sad acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Notmything

It's not down to any one president tho. Bush went in but then allowed Afghanistan become secondary to Iraq. Obama didn't do much either imo, Trump made agreements and gave the Taliban the opportunity to wait the Americans out and Biden was the final nail in the coffin.

Not sure why everyone is so surprised at the collapse of the Afghan army. Almost every book about the conflict highlighted it's inadequacy and reliance on NATO for support and to do the heavy fighting.

For sure there were elements of the army or police who were good and could be relied on. But when everything else around you has packed it in and run away why should they sacrifice themselves for what would be a lost cause?

She probably felt she had to say something to keep her base of supporters happy. Completely pointless though, the Taliban don't give a flying fiddlers what she thinks. If anything it would annoy them more with a woman talking up.

To be fair, the most outrageous poster here is American.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Or wipe out the opposition, take full control and then reshape and rebuild it like the Americans did with Japan? That would require commitment and indifference to international whinging, which the US now lacks. Not sure that even that would have worked in Afghanistan

Its not some weird twist of fate that the place is way it is. Direct result of its culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hardly. He puled out a lot of troops last October allowing the Taliban to fill the vacuum. He also signed a peace deal with the Taliban which specifically didn't include the actual Afghan government. This revisionism that Trump would have done better is just utter tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Reports and footage of 2 falling to their deaths as the plane took off with them ,shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There will either be a brutal tyrannical dictatorship, or a civil war, or one following the other

I can’t imagine being a young woman in Afghanistan today, especially one who holds western liberal values. It must be terrifying

The US and the UK and the rest of the ‘coalition of the willing’ have an obligation to accept these people as refugees if they manage to escape, even if it does include a risk that a small number will be wolves in sheep’s clothing

To turn their backs as they are murdered tortured, mutilated and humiliated would be utterly shameful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Sorry igCorcaigh, my politics are firmly to the Left and unfortunately NullZero is right. In the 90s, it was generally accepted that compulsory hijabs and worse was bad. Following 9/11 there was a fairly swift change of stance, initially with very far left groups suddenly switching and defending items like the hijab. I remember reading online arguments between SWP members about whether or not they should be protesting France's hijab ban in schools in 2004. The party was officially protesting it but many members were uncomfortable at supporting something that's history is in religious repression. And while there were legitimate arguments about the ban leading to girls being removed from schools and ultimately less integrated, ultimately it was just another step on the polarisation of political stances, where if your political opponent opposes something, you must defend it regardless of how it actually fits with your beliefs or not.

It has led to the point where in 2017, Swedish Finance minister Magdalena Andersson posted a photo of her and two colleagues wearing hats implying their choice to wear hats in Sweden was the exact same as women being forced to wear hijabs (realistically the niqāb is enforced on most Iranian women) in Iran. Following the New Zealand mosque attacks, hijab wearing was temporarily taken up by western women as a show of solidarity with muslim people. A well-intentioned gesture sure, but one that completely ignores the many, many women of muslim backgrounds who have been fighting hard against being compelled to wear the hijab. With many women from these backgrounds saying in the months after that it lead to increased pressures from their families to go back to wearing headscarves. The first panels of the first issue of Ms Marvel, Kamala Khan, from 2013, features as friend of the main character explaining why her hijab is a feminist choice and gives her the power of remaining unseen. Not a literal power in a world of superheroes, it's genuinely a running theme through the comic series that hijab wearing is a choice made by women because of the metaphorical power it gives them. This was written by muslim convert G. Willow Wilson a white American with a non-religious upbringing who converted to Islam apparently because she had a bad reaction to a contraceptive hormone that made her seek out god. She is now lauded in many circles as a modern voice of Islam.

The liberal left has, collectively at it's leadership levels, and among many in it's grassroots, decided that hijabs are empowering. I have spoken with many, many 'leftwing' people who refuse to or can not acknowledge that it is for the majority of women a tool of oppression. Because it is. I support anyone's free choice to wear it, in any situation where it is acceptable to wear a head covering. However I do not believe that the majority of women who wear it are making a genuinely free choice to wear it. It represses women and frankly, it insults men. But among my political peers, it's rarely ok to say that anymore.

Whilst Trump signed the agreement with the Taliban, I seldom think he would have allowed this kind of clusterf*ck to unfold. There's a world of difference between deciding to leave, and how to leave.

Biden ignored his military advisors and went on holiday at Camp David (the White House Press Secretary has also decided to take a 1-week vacation, too), leaving this situation to unfold in the most chaotic manner possible.

I think id rather grab an AK off a deserting soldier then hang onto the wing of plane.

Can't really get my head around that kind of mentality.

I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone trying to escape tyranny. I'd do the exact same myself but regardless of proportioning blame. The west cannot take 50% of the middle east without completely destabilising ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

One of the main failure points was the failure of the US to take on the warlords, they were basically allowed to continue with business as usual. Had they controlled them, there was a good chance of success. Japan was a success story, but there were great differences, first they literally demolished two large Cities, and had to power to demolish every other city as well, so complete and utter surrender was the only choice, Then you have to take the mindset of the Japanese, when the Emperor surrendered, all of Japan surrendered. So they had "clean sheet" to work with, and in fairness, the Japanese are good to work with, and they had good co-operation, and it all came together. Like wise Germany, they devised a recovery plan for after the war ended, and that also worked out extremely well. But Afghanistan is different in many ways,,,,look at what happened after the russians left....total war between the various warlords, and between them, they caused as much damage and destructuon as the Russians did. And as has been mentioned several times, outside the cities, in rural Afghanistan, the culture and mindset has remained pretty much the same in the last 100 +years. Modern thinking and Technology is slowly catching up, but its a slow process. If they had to do it all over again, they would do it in a far different manner I'm sure, but how?, is the question.

I read a report recently, can't remember where. In it they estimated the level of religiosity in Iran to be less than 10% of the general population, way less than even a lot of Western countries. The leadership isn't representative of the people at all.

It would tie in with my personal experience of Iranians I have worked with who had little to no interest in religion, much like most Irish people these days.

Other Muslims I worked with were more religious outwardly or at least claimed to be.

People who say it's a free choice to wear it for most women, I don't believe that either in the slightest.

Counterfactuals are rarely useful but thinking that Trump would have been more engaged or tactically astute has no basis in reality

he probably would have been more heavy handed and led to even more carnage with higher death tolls but ultimately the same result. The Taliban have retaken Afghanistan, the Islamic fundamentalism that was seeded and by the CIA and MI6 in a proxy war against the Soviets has caused more ‘blowback’ than they anticipated

Operation Cyclone still blowing 40 years later, countless lives ruined

Already being turned into a Trump v Biden thing in the states.

That country would want to sort its **** out. Two abysmal presidential choices. They can no longer be considered the great country to aspire to in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

its a few fools turning this into Trump v Biden. Most people can see beyond that.

So the US/UK should just allow those women and children and innocent men to be tortured and brutalized

if the west allows these people to become confined to Pakistani refugee camps or interned in prison camps in Afghanistan then we are no better than the Taliban

It's much than a few fools. Twitter and FB say different. This polarisation driven by their platforms is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

There is a growing sense of disbelief that the US didn’t evacuate those Afghanis that worked for the US and will be systematically slaughtered. Of course the US had to leave at some stage but do the ground work first. send home 2500 troops then send 6000 back that’s something you would expect from a Healy Rae.

As the videos of slaughter and people dropping of the sides of planes get more airtime and the absolute mess Biden made of this situation I don’t think he has a leg to stand on going forward.

Jeez, don't bring the Healy-Raes into it, peoples heads will explode altogether...🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

they could not import loads of weapons for the Taliban to use.

Advertisement