Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House sharing becoming difficult

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Where did I say they need my permission? I asked for the heads up, what's so wrong with that? Too polite?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

You of course have every right not to feel bullied out your home but to resolve the issues you will have to speak to two girls also get the other on off the fence you need her to support you in any talk you have . There is always going to be problems in a houseshare but mostly the tenants find some compromise you can't stay in a situation which is full of tension it's just not worth the stress .

Im going to bite the bullet and say something to the landlord, leave it open to them if they want to get involved or not.

If they don't, I can accept it and just find somewhere else.(sharing with less people for sure) They are fairly fair, and I do get on well with them, there might be the slight chance they will want to keep me and the other HM as tenants, so I'm just gonna risk looking like a entitled selfish tenant than do nothing about it.

Perhaps they might see that the 2 are not considerate and careful tenants, maybe this issue has come up before and they sorted it. I don't know. I'm just not willing to let a place iv been so lucky to find, maintained well and built up trust with my LL, go just like that over these 2. It's not worth it.

I'll either regret saying or not saying, either way.....unless I win the lotto tomorrow and buy my own place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I hope it works out for you OP but I will say again the LL has little power here. They can't ask the other tenants to move out as they've not broken any laws, having people over and being loud within the confines of the house aren't issues for the LL. With current tenancy laws they need to be very careful how they proceed so they don't get sued for an illegal eviction.

I am aware of that alright, I'm just hoping she might in some way tell them just be more respectful to her other tenants and not use this house as student accommodation. Like it's been mentioned previously, calling a meeting with them will be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

it doesnt sound like the are using the house as student accommodation but rather as a normal house where they live.

And to be honest if my landlord contacted me and said to give my other housemates notice that my friends are coming over I would find it very strange. And it may increase the ill will and therefore ignoring of you worse. I'm struggling to see what the end game is in saying to the LL. The best case is that the only thing that changes is that they tell you when friends are calling over. And whats that gonna change really? You get a text ay 4pm saying that there will be a group of them drinking in the gaff.

I think you're shiit out of luck here. You sound like incompatible housemates, thats about it. They have as much right to stay in the house as you so if I were you I would see the options as either accept it the way it is or move out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There comes a time when you have grown out of house-sharing. Prepare for that day!

Update

Got onto the LL and they are on my side. They gave a warning to the HM with the bf over 7 nights a week, and he now only stays only 2 to 3. They mentioned that perhaps the 2 young HMs go find a place for themselves as myself and other hm are not happy with the noise levels and having people over unannounced.

This weekend one of them had people over, unannounced both nights. The sense of entitlement and inconsideration is back again. It's causing me upset has like I said I'm fairly happy here and settled. I viewed other places and I'm not ready to give up this place over all of this.

I came across this sample letter last night doing research into all this, would like to hear people's thoughts or experiences. . In particular part (c)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Hi OP, you say you are happy there but if you were you wouldn't be posting on a forum. Landlord says he is on your side but he could say that just to fob you off. Doesn't seem what he said to the other 2 HM's has had an effect. If they don't care what the LL says what chance have you got?

I'm an owner occupier and rent a couple of rooms out myself. The dynamics here are so wrong in your case OP. When I advertise a room I specifically ask for male lodgers only. And yet everytime I get women contacting me about the room. Usual excuse is that they are house sharing with other women and the bitchness that goes on is unreal. They are desperate to move out. You really have to move out for your own sake. It isn't worth the stress. The landlord will get someone else in a few days and maybe karma will bite them back. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Seriously OP, what else do you want to hear?

People have told you that you are more demanding and acting more entitled than your flatmates, so why do you think this latest post is going to change anything?

Thanks for your post.

In regards to them not listening to the LL, and the LL seeing that for themselves, then I'm wondering is it worth the LL sending this letter to them and if they were still being a nuisance, then would that be enough to evict them?

I have questioned if the LL is just saying they are on my side, but they warned one already they would be asked to leave if the partner would continue staying every night of the week, and he has not been since.

Some people have said I'm acting demanding and entitled, people I have spoken to face to face have seen my point. I don't weather I am or not, but I am trying not to be. We clearly don't agree that asking a fellow HM for the heads up when they are having a drinking session /gathering isn't a lot to ask for, it's just consideration, doesn't cost a penny.

I don't know if it will change anything, chances are they might or might not. That's why I've posted.

Doubt that you are ever likely to live in harmony with these people you are just incompatible and it will continue to cause you stress .Unless you find somewhere else or the other two leave you will have the issues continuing to cause tension life is too short to be living like you are and this thread will go on and on without a solution that will suit you .

Ya I do realise that. I feel as though they will deliberately try make things uncomfortable for me so that I do end up moving out. I honestly felt that I was respectful, considerate and nice to them. It's ****. It is hard to find a suitable place, I have other things going on in the background and just uping and moving is the last thing I expected to do. And its difficult ATM to find a suitable and affordable place, that's why I am fighting tooth and nail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Would the landlord need some kind of evidence before sending a warning notice like that? Unless he saw the behaviour or heard the loud music/parties he has no proof it happened and the new HM's could deny it.

• Advertisement

the other two may well think they can get you to leave and that is an awful situation to be in but you have to consider any practical solutions because living like you are is not the solution .Doubt there is any middle ground and you are up against two people so little chance things will turn around and you all live like normal housemates .I do understand how hard it is to find a suitable place these days that of course makes it harder again .

I have some recordings of loud noise and pics of the sitting room being left in a tip and some broken glass on the ground under neath their bedroom windows, still not picked up.

Rolling boh

Thanks for your post, really appreciate u can see it's not that easy to up and leave and find a place within ur budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Get some more and give them to the landlord and maybe he'll talk to the HM's again. It might help.

How do you know it was the HM's who left the broken glass?

It was either them or the visitors they had over. It's directly over the bedroom window at side of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

If you could get some of the neighbour's to complain to the landlord that might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

If you really want to stay, you will have to play their game. They likely out of spite and their different view of ‘life’ will stay on in the hope you move out, because it seems like the place is a good deal.

I was sharing with someone and things went sour and it turned into a battle of the wills.

When they jump in the shower, turn on a load of taps after a couple minutes and enjoy the gasps and thud of the shower door

When they are having some quiet time, turn on some music.

bring a bunch of your friends over on a Saturday a bit earlier than they normally do their thing.

if you are heading away for the weekend, pull the fuse out of the TV.

Boil a big pot of broccoli and cabbage and leave it sit with the windows closed.

Leave the place a mess and don’t wash up after yourself.

use their shampoo

let some chicken go off in the fridge

This isn’t for the landlord, and the more you go back to them, the easier it will be for them to think you are the problem.

they will think you are mad if you ask them to send that letter

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭newaccount2017

I have done the whole houseshare thing for many years and looking back on it now- some people are just assholes. I would just move out if I was you as it's just not worth the drain on your mental energy and wellbeing. I have lived with people and they just change at the flip of a switch if they get a new partner, etc. Then there's all the mind games, toxicity, being 'off' with you, etc. If you move out, you will leave all that behind and might find nicer housemates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Quoting you as your post well addressed the reality aha - while for OP, speak to landlord is the way to go imo.

Because sure, maybe landlord may not able to help much but still this is your 'official' way of escalating the matter (obviously it would be great if the tenants can resolve any issues among themselves). And then if everything fails, ye, is about time to move on.

Personally I cant stand house-sharing anymore since my late 20s - I am fine to get along with most people but the risk is huge if you dont get some decent housemate/s.

I have thought about that, and stopped myself from doing things like that cause I don't want to go into a battle like that. There's 2 of them. 2 vs 1. Plus the bf and the other girls friends. I don't have a brunch of friends to bring over at the weekends.

Wat their doing is deliberate but I really just don't want to be starting that kind of ****. Their already at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

"This weekend one of them had people over, unannounced both nights. The sense of entitlement and inconsideration is back again."

They dont have to tell you when people are coming over, you can ask them to but they dont have to. It doesnt sound like they are doing anything wrong.

Can you explain how inviting your friends over is acting entitled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

Tbh you're too old/mature for a house share. Two things about the above, being happy and settled in a house share is never going to last (as you've found out). It's not your house and you don't have any extra say over the house just because you've been there longer than the newer house share. You'll either have to tolerate her having friends and inviting them over or find somewhere else to live.

Secondly that letter is for anti social behaviour which would be sounds OTT for inviting people over without telling you and the landlord could find it would cause more problems for them if they disputed the the contents and labelling of their behaviour as anti social behaviour.

In short house shares are ****, SHOULD (and i stress should given the current housing situation) only be something for a few years. Find somewhere new or accept them as they are.

Being honest you're the one that sounds entitled and inconsiderate. Why should they have to ask you to invite friends over to their house? You aren't their mammy, be careful you could be outnumbered 3 to 1 if your ally were to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I don’t see how you will ‘win’, either on your own or with the landlord.

I would suggest not letting them know they are getting to you, as that will only spur them on. Keep chatting to them, even if they don’t respond.

the best advice is move out and roll the dice to see if you end up in a better situation.

For the millionth time I am not looking for them to ask for my permission, I'm asking for a heads up with their inviting people over for a drinking session in the kitchen/sitting, where other HMs cook and sit down to wat dinner or chill out and relax. It is inconsiderate to me, anytime I have had people over iv given the heads up.

My time for house sharing is probably up, definitely with younger girls anyway.

Moleyv

Won't let me quote u, thanks for ur post. I'm more leaning towards just be nice to them and take no notice.

• Advertisement

Definitely don't let them see that they are driving you out the only solution I see for you is to look for somewhere else if you keep on to the landlord they will begin to wonder if you are the problem .It's a bad situation to be in but in the long run you have to get away from this houseshare somehow .

For the millionth time I am not looking for them to ask for my permission, I'm asking for a heads up with their inviting people over for a drinking session in the kitchen/sitting, where other HMs cook and sit down to wat dinner or chill out and relax. It is inconsiderate to me, anytime I have had people over iv given the heads up.

My time for house sharing is probably up, definitely with younger girls anyway.

The last two lines of your previous post sums up your situation you will never be compatible with the two younger ones .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You are fine. These are just inconsiderate kids/students, in the distant past I used to be one myself, and they won't change, in the short-term. Have done the houseshare thing for many, many years.

Your options are to move out, or to "hope" they move out, or just to sit and grin and bear it. But if there's a "war" you won't win, they will just make life miserable for you. You wrote you can't move out due to your situation, etc, but for the long term my advice is, if you have to houseshare, then live with only one or two people max, typically over the age of 30. I was lucky enough to be able to choose housemates for years, and vetted them very carefully, students were an absolute no-no. I would only offer them very short term leases in order to be able to get rid of them quickly if they turned out to be dicks. Sorry, but that's the reality of living with random people.

We are allowed to pick who moves in too, which is a big plus. The short term lease is a good idea. I know now what kind of people to avoid when house sharing, and I guess at some point house sharing would piss me off.

Since I started this thread, I was fairly adamant I wasn't going to leave cause the rent is so cheap and there's great space and room here. But I accept I'll just have to leave eventually for my own sake, I have been tearful about it too many times and let it get to me. It's not worth it any more. Gonna keep an eye out, won't be leaving for the first place I see available. I'm gonna just grin and bare it and get out of here when (hopefully) a decent place comes available with someone on the same page as me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yes, look for someone on the same wavelength as you. It's great to be in cheap places, but ultimately not worth it if you aren't happy in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

It sounds like you are, what if she did tell you would you have just said ok and left it at that? Just my opinion but I think you would have tried to put her off having people over and instead of having people unannounced you would be complaining about her having people over when you said she couldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I completely agree with you with your situation. Especially now with covid around. They bring over friends and forces you into the same room as them, I mean you have to cook or make tea while they are there. A heads up would be nice so that you could be prepared.

I think it's very selfish to have people over like this with covid around. Just because lockdown ended and restrictions lifted, it doesn't mean you should.

That alone would make me feel so uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Honestly you do get to a point where you get sick of sharing - I was like that when everyone annoyed me! Yet when I was in my early-mid 20s I was that annoying HM! My last house share was with a girl a few years older than me who 'ran' the house as as if she owned it because she was there so long. I moved into my own place after that as I was nearly 30 & just could not bear her or the tension it was causing & just had enough of the house share thing.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm just having a **** week, I'm finding it difficult here. 1 HM and the others gf completely blank me. I can't help but feel some things done.....are done deliberately to me. I haven't gone down the pettiness/ revenge route, I'm refusing to as much as I want to . I've stayed respectful and mature about this.

Still keeping an eye out for somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

What did you expect? You started this when you went to the landlord to complain.

Is even moving home an option because once you involved the landlord the situation between you all was bound to get worse you really have no choice at this stage other than one side moves out and that is most likely you .

No, unfortunately that's why I am renting in the first place.

Ok did not really think it was an option but looks like you will have to go full on looking for something else do your best not to let things get you too down know its easy for me to say that of course best of luck .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Thought I would give an update. I moved out just over a week ago, I feel like such a different person. Clearly the place didn't suit me any more, glad I took the chance and moved on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Well done! Sometimes it's the best move to make, other people can be hell, best bite the bullet, as they say.

good to hear you got things sorted it was the best option for you to move .Hope things work out in your new place good luck .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I really relate to the situation OP. Had a similar problem myself a few years back. Was in a 4-way houseshare for a year that was fine, but 2 of them moved out leaving myself and one other HM with the place. She was a very close friend and we got on really well so we decided to try rent out the other two. We had a mutual friend and one of her good friends from college looking for spaces. The latter guy seemed sound at the beginning and we all got along well, but it soured with similar behaviour to what you're describing. He would regularly come home late (as in after midnight when most of us were already asleep) and start playing music loudly off his phone, drinking, and turning the heat on for the whole house, so if the noise didn't wake us up the temperature would. Then set alarms for around 6am in the morning that seemed to only wake my other HM and not himself, because he was never up early. Also had a habit of inviting friends around late and making a lot of noise too, or staying up to all hours.

Despite the bollocking you're getting in the thread for thinking this is inconsiderate to do without giving notice, I do agree. Shared areas belong to everyone, and if you're going to be taking one of them over for the whole evening it's common courtesy to at the very least give a heads up to the rest of the house. In a lot of the cases I had I probably would have tried to make arrangements find somewhere else to be if I'd known I wasn't going to be able to get any peace to study or sleep for the evening. Even later on when I was subletting a room in my apartment, I'd 100% always give my HM I was subletting to some notice if I was inviting some friends over for that reason and make sure it was ok with him, and he did the same for me.

Didn't clean up after himself either. We tried having meetings to discuss rules and shared responsibilities but they never really had much long-term effect. The close friend and I were driven up the wall with him. It is very frustrating, because you feel like when you've been there first and invited them in then you should have seniority, but it really just doesn't work like that in any way. Unlike you, we actually outnumbered him and still couldn't do anything. The defacto power lies with whoever is being the most obnoxious and causing the most trouble for the rest, because they can stick it out longer. We really didn't want to leave, because it was a nice place at a good price, and we were there first, and you are basically just rewarding everything they've done to piss you off, but we had to give in eventually and get out. As others have pointed out, the LL will never really care as long as they aren't violating the lease, and even if they are it's difficult. The bad tenant could stop paying the rent, start wrecking the furniture, and sell heroin out of the apartment and it would be months of court proceedings to get them to leave anyway. Glad to hear you managed to get another place at least, and you've also learned the hard way to be incredibly cautious in future about who you invite into a place to share with you.

Really appreciate your post, C14N. Glad someone is on the same page as me in terms of being respectful and considerate of others and mutual areas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement