Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Restrictions are impacting on people's lives. Pre-covid I could rock up to the gym at any time I liked during opening hours now I have book a time that I will be going same for the swimming pool. Not only do I have to book the swimming pool, if I am bringing my kid with me I have to book them is as well. Going on holidays in a few days and there is waterslide place were we are going, pre-covid you could rock any time and pay and off you go, now you have to book and because of restrictions on numbers there is nothing available. So yes restrictions are having an impact on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Where's the inaccuracy? I'm not trying to pivot anything. Read the thread again to check. It was the OP that made a statement about a "myriad of restrictions on every aspect of people's lives". That wasn't me. I responded to this statement to say that I could go through days without encountering any restrictions. I didn't have to caveat by saying I avoided going to shops. I don't go to the shop every day. I can't understand why you are all getting so worked up about this. Does it bother you that people can get through a few days without experiencing restrictions? Surely you should be happy that it's the case or is it begrudgery?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jokes on you, if you didn't go to the gym or on holiday or to the shops or meet other people then you could go through life unaffected by any restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yeah I should just dance around the living room. I can still do that I think. 😀

Right. Unless someone quotes me again regarding this, I'll not respond further. The facts - OP made a statement saying that there were 'a myriad of restrictions on every aspect of people's lives." I responded to say that I could go for days without restrictions affecting me. This means that not only did restrictions not have an affect on every aspect of my life but also that there wasn't a myriad of them. I didn't say ANYTHING about other people and their lives. Restrictions are certainly having an effect on everyone...just not a myriad of them on every aspect. Settle yourselves.

Post edited by Penfailed on

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Oh dear. I think you'll find that while restrictions 'affect' people, they have 'an effect' on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

More than 100 Covid outbreaks are occurring each week, most of which are happening at social gatherings and in workplaces, the National Lead for Testing and Tracing at the HSE has said

And I'll bet a huge amount of those workplaces are offices, I especially like how the govt can legislate overnight for pubs to close but only "advise" employers allowing their workers to work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They'll be telling us next week as schools go back that there's absolutely no risk in schools or of having 30 kids together in a classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People are far too quick to assume all workplaces in Ireland are cubicle farm style offices.

There are a hell of a lot of people in Ireland who cannot work from home.

Edited for clarity. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

This is the dancing sh*te all over again.

Embarrassing to be trying to defend it, it really is.

As I said, it's like saying there are no restrictions if you stay indoors all day (because you wont encounter any) - that doesnt mean they arent there.

@Penfailed , if there werent so many covid restrictions and mask mandates etc, you might end up opting to go into shops instead of standing outside at hatches etc. Also you even mentioned that some of the restrictions are deliberately ignored in your work - that doesnt mean they dont exist, it just means you break them!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

From what I have read, it seems that people have interpreted your comments as “playing down” the nature of the restrictions — and I think for my own part I would say you’ve maybe delved into a bit of ‘restrictions relativism’ (for want of a better phrase).

The problem in saying that one can go for days without encountering restrictions is that people have now kind of shaped their lives around the restrictions so that they “encounter” them in less visible ways. If I was to go to the pool on a walk-in basis I’d encounter the reality of being told I need to book, or if I was to wander to a bar without my vaccine cert I’d encounter being told that I can’t enter without proof of vaccine. But because I’m aware of these things, I adapt to them. It’s also fair to say that people are encountering the restrictions in an indirect sense too — as many employers continue to take differing approaches. I haven’t been back to my office one single day since the March 2020 lockdown because my employer has taken a very strict view of the guidance around working remotely unless absolutely necessary. So I’m still stuck in the flat, day in day out, and that has really had a profound detrimental impact on my general wellbeing — less motivated, more sedentary, less active.

As for the relativism point, certain things don’t feel “restricted” anymore because there’s a tendency to compare where we are now with Level 5 lockdown. But the restrictions still remain quite far removed from the freedoms we enjoyed before Covid and are still impacting greatly on society, even if we aren’t encountering Garda checkpoints anymore.

You are correct in that statement, not everybody can work from home, but many of those who can are being forced into offices... Furthermore building sites are largely outdoors, indoor ones have very tight regulations, from what I've seen of supermarkets they have very strict controls and Lidl even give their staff free antigen tests. Even pubs and cafes are safer than some of the offices out there

Offices are enclosed and there's always the one person who is too cold to have the window open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

@Penfailed I see you’ve not taken the vaccine. Anyone I know who was even slightly on the fence got it in the end just to be able to dine indoors... Are you perhaps not really one for dining out or going for pints, etc. and perhaps that might be why you don’t feel as restricted as other people who pre-pandemic enjoyed a night out?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We may all need to look at one at some point but it will not be this autumn and winter, just the vulnerable groups if we administer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

You mixed up a couple of words there. I’ll place them correctly.

We will all need to look at one at some point but it may not be this autumn and winter, just the vulnerable groups if we administer them.

There's a few points to make about this post. Indoors dining only began on the 26th of July. I'm not against having a vaccine but I am against a two tier society. I wouldn't have supported businesses that discriminated against people based on whether or not they've been vaccinated. My local bar has decided not to reopen indoors for the same reason (and their outdoor area is excellent). I contracted Covid in the middle of July so I've inadvertently been allowed to access indoor hospitality without being vaccinated. I still haven't availed of this for the reason stated above and also because eating out would be a complete waste of time - I still haven't got my taste or smell back. Lastly you say I don't feel as restricted as other people - that's quite the leap. When I point out that a myriad of restrictions don't have an effect on every aspect of my life, somehow that has translated into me feeling less restricted than other people. That's incorrect.

Very good post. I think you are correct. People have made the interpretation that I'm playing down the restrictions. I can certainly see why they would think that. I was responding to a post that you could say was "playing up" the restrictions. I enjoy going for a walk on the beach. There isn't a 'myriad of restrictions on every aspect of my life' when doing that. Saying that seems to have riled some posters up.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

You won't support business's who support a 2 tier society?

Did you not go to a gig in N Ireland that you needed to have a double vaccine or negative test?

• Advertisement

No. There were no such restrictions at that festival. Are people so upset by my posts that they're trying to catch me out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

What festival was it as all gigs etc in N Ireland are subject to strict rules

I know people who wer at diff gigs in Falls Park and Belfast City and both had same rules but you went to one with no such restrictions

Yes, I went to one with no such restrictions. I was at the Stendhal Festival outside Limavady. They had a similar event in July. At the July one, I was temperature checked on the way in. Even that didn't happen at the weekend.

Heard an add on the radio earlier, seems the music industry is trying to highlight how they haven't worked in 18 months etc etc and want to open with full crowds to vaccinated people. Personally I like the idea despite not being fully vaxxed yet (soon to be though) how do others feel about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Numbers today and yesterday were sitting around the 1500-1600 mark, down from 2k a few days ago and 1700-1800 for most of last week... Too early to be certain but I think we're passed the peak

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Thread has turned into a complete mess. Lets get back to discussing the topic properly

Those arguing endlessly over definitions of words and phrases can stop it now or face threadban without further warning, it's derailing the thread and making it impossible to read. Move on

so Tony is urging the country to get a vaccine that lasts 6 months as it wanes. Great oul money spinner for those making it.

sure we're on an endless roundabout, what the feck happened to living with covid? a cyclical mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Its a typical Irish move alright 😂

Backed the wrong horse with the fancy marketing

Advertisement