Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I think their is plenty of blame to go around for various US presidents starting with Bush, then Obama, Trump and now Biden. All made huge errors in regards to Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"I think their is plenty of blame to go around for various US presidents starting with Bush, then Obama, Trump and now Biden. All made huge errors in regards to Afghanistan."

It is really dirty trick blaming now Trump for what is happening in Afghanistan (some do this) but agree it was first mistake to even start it. It never succeeded and then it was probably never good time to finish it.

But I also afraid the worst is still ahead of us and better be prepared for lot of bad news and thousands of people fleeing from there after Taliban will gain full control over country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

To believe this you have to totally ignore how Trump handled Syria. Announced he was pulling out essentially overnight blindsiding both allies and other actors in the region. This led to complete chaos on the ground with Russia and others exerting influence, and Syria remains an absolute hellhole with the Kurds thrown to the wolves and with huge numbers of refugees. The media has moved on from Syria but it remains an epic failure by Trump.

The evidence suggests Trump would have done no better with Afghanistan seeing as how he is the one who signed a "peace deal" with the Taliban which excluded the actual Afghan government and basically gave them the green light to come back into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

🙄

Yeah, because the Tangerine Tornado is renowned for his managerial brilliance and attention to detail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Notmything

Do you honestly think Trump gave a second thought to the potential outcome?

He set the timetable for withdrawal, all the Taliban had to do was wait and pay lip service to the agreement they signed.

• Advertisement

The Iranians must be seriously worried at this stage.

This thread is almost impossible to read now with all the Biden supporters constantly bringing up Trump for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In fairness if you remove the entire existing administration you leave a power vacuum which can be worse than working with the old administration. It's pot luck which strategy works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Americans used to fill the power vacuum with themselves. Too much commitment now, too sensitive to criticism.

Interesting article in the guardian on what the Taliban will implement, including:

For now, in the areas newly taken over by the Taliban they have introduced the same rules that apply in the many rural areas they had taken since 2003: girls’ education only in primary school, sanitised curriculums, women employed only in essential services such as education and health, no mixing of genders, a ban on women leaving home alone, enforcement of the burqa, no TV, no music, compulsory attendance at mosques and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The contradictions in "thought" processes of US republican Trump supporters are mind boggling for anyone sane really. A short time ago they were calling the Democrats and Biden warmongers + looking for rapid as possible end to USs "world police" role in the Middle East and elsewhere and hang the consequences.

That's what is happening in Afghanistan. Presumably it will be continuing under Biden because he/the Democrats know that is actually what alot (edit: most?) of Americans (Trump supporters or not) want now i.e. a far more isolationist foreign policy esp. when it comes to deploying the US military.

As regards the disorderly withdrawal, maybe I'm wrong but that seems like an intelligence/military failure. Unless advice on how to carry out the withdrawal was ignored, that is the fault of people further down the chain than the 2 presidents (Trump/Biden) making a strategic decision the US presence in Afghanistan must come to an end. The US looks to have underestimated weakness of their Afghan government and army allies and misjudged the situation in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The trumpists will use this to bash Biden but I don’t think there was any good way of doing this. I think once the dust has settled most Americans will be happy that they no longer have an involvement in Afghanistan. They have bigger problems to worry about anyway. The Chinese would like nothing more than to see America mired in a never ending war in the Middle East for another 20 years. If the taliban can mind their own business and keep the worst of the human right abuses out of the news then I think they will be left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What the hell is wrong you.

Trump signed a deal with the Taliban for the transition of power. The fucking Taliban!!! He even got a guy released from prison to sign the bloody deal and he locked out the US puppet govt. that had been propped up for a decade.

There's a very VALID reason why Trump is being brought up.

FFS

I've asked this before in the thread, but where is the MIC off to next? They have lives to ruin, domestically and overseas, and money to make. Who is next on the list?

Keep going, you're only a post or two away from saying Biden 's performance here is one of the greatest acts of political leadership in the history of the world. The only thing Biden supporters care about is attacking Trump to cover up for what is one of the worst political mistakes seen in decades.

Trump is gone. The consequences of what are happening right now will be felt in the middle east and Europe, not in America among the Biden supporters.

We now also have the British Defense secretary crying and having a breakdown on TV.

Where are the real men and leaders in the West?

I said it before and I'll say it again. The Taliban, by the US's own stats, number about 80,000 to 100,000 men. Men who have been mostly hiding out in the mountains for a decade. A group like that simply cannot take control of a country that size and with a population of nearly 40 million people without having the support from the majority of that population, even if that is only in lip service.

For those that don't support the Taliban, the panic set in very quickly and once that happens any "plan" you may have, or think you have, goes out the window.

As for Trump worshipping fools, it surely comes as no surprise that they'd start waving their little flags and concocting numerous fantasies in their heads about what Trump would have done. That type lives in cloud cuckoo land and their opinions aren't worth a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭markw7

Don't know if it's been mentioned already, Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis is an eye-opening watch on the plight of Afghanistan through the last 80 years or so. Not an easy watch for most people like the majority of his stuff, but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A mess but the bigger question is, should the west continue to intervene in these islamic states? 20 years didn't change much, it could take another 50 of minding to have any hope of bringing Afghan out of the dark ages. Are the US going to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Iran would be too obvious. Perhaps the Americas? Cuba or Venezuela could make that list.

• Advertisement

Oh be quiet.

I'm no fan of Biden or the Democrats.

Ignorant Trumpette fantasies don't belong here.

More like 150-200 years of interference, with the U.K. and France being the primary villains. (Not that Russia or China are any better when it comes to bullying and militarism.)

Out of those three options, Iran might be too hot to handle.

I'm not supporting Trump. He's gone, I couldn't care less.

What's going on right now is the fault of the current Administration. This is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,432 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What good would it do. It's just kicking the can if you cannot make lasting change which 20 years has proven they cant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s impossible to win in Afghan just ask the Russians . Too many factions and warlords to be paid off. The terrain is nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You'd need to be pretty stupid to think you could sit on the wing of a plane as it flies at 35000 ft . Makes no sense

Only if you're too dumb not to understand that what's going on right now is the consequence of many years and many people.

Nothing happens in a vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember when it comes to trump and his fans Obama invaded Afghanistan and got them into this mess in the first place ,

Trump negotiated with the Taliban ,trump negotiated not just senior Taliban to be released not just in Afghanistan but Pakistan too ,and thousands of fighters along with the hardcore leadership ,

The Pakistan government must now be looking saying oh **** what did we do ,not so long ago the Taliban almost over ran Pakistan ,and now 80,000 strong with access to thousands of modern armoured vehicles ,they have to the ability to make a move on several neighbors .

Trumpets can sit there biden did this and biden did that ,but the problem is trump did this ,he lay the foundations to screw ,NATO ,Kurds and now afgans.

Putin's advisors must be sitting there saying we could take Berlin in a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Remarkable that thousands are running in fear, and some american female reporter is like lets go chat to the Taliban

Advertisement