Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I haven't bookmarked any, this is the notifications for threads I have 'participated' (ie commented) in. I do want that generally but then want to be able to remove it for individual threads like on the old site, but doesn't seem possible.

I'll try the bookmarks instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The front page of boards on mobile doesn't contain any actual forums, plenty of empty space and three read only posts. Now we're talkin', just scroll down a bit first.

Then you get an actual forum to click on, a massive advert, then another forum or two. Fantastic.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mine defaults to the list of updated threads from fittings I'm following so is effectively "my threads" from the old site.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,166 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can you fix the glitch on the desktop site that means using quotation marks in a thread title leads to an alphabetti spaghetti of nonsense?

e.g.

Dublin's "homeless" Roma

that's a thread recently started, showing on the home page. It displays correctly on the mobile/touch site.

There seems to have been loads of action on the improvement/tweaking front in the last few days, haven't had a chance to use the site much in a couple of days, but I'm looking forward to seeing the changes!

I'll also add my voice to those saying that clicking on thread titles doesn't always bring you to the first unread post - I haven't been keeping track of what exactly does happen, but there's definitely a lot of scrolling up and down in busy threads, trying to find where you'd been in the thread at the last visit. Not always, but enough to be noticeable.

Still jumps around too much every time you go back a page to be usable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Someone could have a lot of fun with that! If the new account was banned I wonder would the original one be banned too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

I was wrong, they created teh new account with a “.” On the end so hard to see

All sorts of gobshites on here

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sure you had people on "the other site" setting up accounts with the names of Boards mods.

There's a hell of a lot of gobshites with far too much time on their hands in this country.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Desktop front pages still needs some attention.

Font very small compared to other pages like my bookmarks and the text doesn't bold and unbold as it does on my bookmarks page.

Desktop envelope icon for PM's still not working either. Still giving an error.

Hyperlinks on footer still not working.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What are people referring to when they say the "other site"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

https://****/ There was an error displaying this embed.

set up when the geniuses on here ruined the place.

A few fake office accounts from here complaining about it on here but won't link to anything when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

How do you get a list of users?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Nah. I tried it, and it just comes up with “username not available”.

What is annoying is some of the thread number breadcrumbs. So, I was on a thread earlier with 12 pages. I went from the first page to the 12th page - just to see the latest comments, but with the intention of reading the whole thread.

Could I go back to the first page? Not easily! Going back just brought me to the the home index page, and there was no 1st page option. Went back click by click to get to the first page, but it was a fairly slow process. So - can we have an option to go back to the first page in addition to the option (already exists) to go to the last page? I think this is something being tweaked, as it has worked already on other threads in the last weeks.

The ellipses doesn’t do anything - on mobile anyway - same with the old site. It would be great if you could click on it and pick a page. There’s no point in it otherwise.

On the old site you could see often when a thread was locked or moved.

Over the weekend I noticed a few threads I was posting on simply quietly disappeared.

Is this a "feature" of the new site? Or has there been a policy change in relation to closing threads specifically and they are being deleted now?

Or was it always this way - but I just did not notice as I was simply not on deleted threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I see we can now view my forums on desktop site and follow / unfollow forums - nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Caught myself browsing g on mobile again - as in browsing for new topics, not just my go-to’s. For the last few weeks I would have been too frustrated to. So things must have improved right. Feedback is still kinda hard to drill down to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Yep fairly annoying. If the thread is merged into another there is no notice of it being merged - a thread I commented in got merged to a mega thread. It opens the discussion you are responding to up to all sorts of issues. It is easily missed that a thread is merged unless you look at the title, even then you may pass it off as being renamed. A thread being merged with another is very important information all posters to both threads need to know because the original discussion that the posters of the original discussion responded to, would not necessarily respond to it if in a mega thread. Also the participants of the mega thread just see the original discussion as a new comment and or question/enquiry to the mega thread (which may have been already asked) again the original poster may not have necessarily been aware that the topic should exist in a mega thread nor would they have posted to that thread knowing that there are many posters most likely with a predisposition for the topic; neither the original discussions participants or the participants of the merged are aware that these new posts to the thread have read or indeed seen previous posts in the mega thread so both are ignorant to everyone's position because both have been following along with the discussion and both sides will probably just conclude the other is being an idiot.

It is the lack of communication from the moderator who moved the thread or rather the system should be providing the moderator the means to easily communicate to the community that 'this is what happened here', instead the moderator (or a different one) quite possible will have to deal with all sorts of issues stemming from the lack of communication of the situation in merged threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I’m definitely finding it easier. However in mobile I’m still crying out for the simple three tabs at the top of the homepage. There’s too many clicks to try to replicate it so I still get annoyed and just leave

lack of breadcrumbs at the bottom on the desktop is also annoying as I keep going to click on them and they aren’t there

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

It's hard to distinguish the Liked posts from those without Likes. Can there be some visual indicator?

Something like a colour gradient where the more Likes a post has that the box gets filled in, or it changes colour or becomes stronger. It would be nice when scrolling a thread to easily pick out posts with none, a few or a lot Likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

front page is still a mess on Desktop - the top header (talk/topics/regional) is redundant; and the tabs now work inconsistently with My Forums just being an extra link to the Discussions page.

As a Desktop diehard, this is sacrilege, but I think making Desktop more like the Mobile site would be an improvement at this stage. Or a link at the bottom like the old "Touch Site" option, so we could choose which view we want.

• Advertisement

A glitch on the desktop version (may have been reported before, but it's really annoying me this morning)

When I click on a thread title with new posts, it brings me to the first unread post, but it doesn't show the whole post, it's like I've scrolled down a couple of lines - I have to click the "up" button twice to see the full post and the blue banner with the time.

Besides your point but it is not actually nonsense it is significant.

jQuery uses a method text() which tells the page to print &amp:quot; &amp is an escape character so instead of printing " it prints the " as shown

if it instead used html() it would print on the page as " as html() does not use escape characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭POBox19

This site is too much like hard work compared to the last version.

What I don't like is that links take me off the site instead of opening a new tab, no count of comments in a thread so I can't see if I'm going up or down, only a few of my followed threads have new posts since the upheaval, quoted comments are just a cut & paste of the original so there's loads more scrolling to do, its just yuk. Instead of being neat and efficient its become bloated and flabby. Oh, and the horrible profile image which I can't remove without loading up another image.

I'll give it a rest for a few weeks and then see if it has improved in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What I don't like is that links take me off the site instead of opening a new tab,

if users posted links the right way that wouldn't happen. After you paste a URL you have to press Enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

There's a noticeable decrease in moderation these days. Is this due to functionality issues or are mods just not logging on as much?

That went so far over my head, it's up in the stratosphere somewhere 😵

All I know is that on the home page of the desktop version, I see threads that require me to squint very hard to figure out what they should actually read.

This needs to be fixed.

Simple really if you see "Some Thread" it means the thread title is inside quotes "Some Thread"

If you see "Some Thread & More Words" it means the thread is titled "Some Thread & More Words"

I've just tried to search for a thread in the TV forum, which hasn't been posted on in ages

On the mobile/ touch site i got this

On the desktop, I got a list of seemingly random threads, some of which I couldn't even see my search terms (House of Games) in. There didn't seem to me any difference between the Best Match/Newest/Oldest lists.

ETA I eventually managed to find it by using good old Google search 🙄

Can someone try something on mobile and see if it’s the same as I get?-

Say you open a thread and you land on page 22 of 26. If you press to go to page 26 and then press the back button in your browser, what page are you now on?

• Advertisement

Or similarly - on desktop you’re on the ‘My threads’ tab. Open a thread and then hit the back button in your browser. What are you looking at now?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement