Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

Trump doesn't have a future. He'll be defeated at the next election, if he decides to run again, and that'll be the end of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hmm, I wouldn't say it would be a certainty that he would be defeated, but only because everyone (or almost everyone) was certain he'd be defeated in 2016 and we all know what happened there. And even in 2020, some polls had Biden leading by massive margins in certain states like Wisconsin on +10 points, where it actually ended up being less than 1 point.

But if anybody can energise the opposing side, it would be Trump. And possibly even more so because his rhetoric has really coarsened since being turfed out of office, which is an amazing achievement considering how bad he was before. At least back in 2016 he had some broad promises about making America great again and entertaining putdowns for his Primary rivals. Now, he's just ranting bitterly about the USA Olympic Women's soccer team in a rather incoherent fashion. People know what he is and what he's about and how he'd go about his business in office. There'd be no case to just take a chance on him.

2024 will definitely be very interesting. I don't know if Trump really fancies another run at the presidency, but he'd never admit that if it were so. He'll be involved in some way if he's able, and will be pulling the puppet strings if not in the hotseat himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Plus Republicans have put a lot of energy into ensuring a lot of Dems won't be able to vote. Unless that is properly pushed back Trump will have a strong chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IDK. More Floridians have been killed from Covid-19 now than DeSantis' own gubernatorial margin of victory in his last election. Give it time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trump needs swing voters to win, so it'd take voter suppression on an epic scale for him to win enough votes at this stage. His lies and rubbish about having the election stolen aren't going to win over the swing voters that he needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

He won 'by a landslide' in 2016, while having 3 million fewer votes than his opponent. 'Modernising' the US election system so he can still win with 7 million fewer votes does not look like an unachievable task.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Biden won by pretty much the same 'landslide' over trump. That's the old decrepid Biden who can't even orate properly, has apparent dementia, and is older than trump. Trump's appeal, and his ability to win over the undecideds, has been in sharp decline since he lost his election, and the trajectory which he is going in makes me doubt he'll even get the nomination.

And that's no counting the amassing criminal charges against him

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Yes and no. If you consider just the electoral college, Biden won by 'the same' landslide. But if you apply our European standards, where the person with the highest vote count wins, Biden won by 10 million votes more (-3 million vs. +7 million in the popular vote) than Trump.

Regardless, my main point was about ongoing efforts to make the actual vote count (popular vote) even less relevant, with methods like gerrymandering, politicising (college) electors so they can invalidate the results, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Democracy in the US is under serious threat from the Republican Party. I think that much is obvious.

Regarding these inflation claims, can I start getting $1 every time someone tries to blame Janet Yellen for running the Federal Reserve? They may as well wear a shirt that says "I have no clue what's going on"

• Advertisement

Trump and allies caught trying to revise history on the withdrawal from Afghanistan, as Trump calls for Biden to resign, just months after praising Biden for sticking to the withdrawal, back in April - however he criticized Biden for not doing it sooner than September:

“I wish Joe Biden wouldn’t use September 11 as the date to withdraw our troops from Afghanistan, for two reasons. First, we can and should get out earlier. Nineteen years is enough, in fact, far too much and way too long,” Trump said in self-published remarks, adding: “September 11 represents a very sad event and period for our Country and should remain a day of reflection and remembrance honoring those great souls we lost.” (CNN)

"A vote for Joe Biden is a vote for forever war in the Middle East," Donald Trump Jr. wrote last September. "A vote for Donald Trump is a vote to finally bring our troops home."

The RNC rapidly nuked a page on its website praising Trump for, and detailing his "Historic peace agreement with the Taliban," noting it was Trump that signed the Peace agreement in February 2020, agreeing to withdraw troops in exchange for (empty) promises that Afghanistan would not "be used for transnational terrorism."The RNC page noted "The deal has been called 'the best chance to end this conflict,' a 'decisive move' toward peace, and 'the best path' for the United States. The RNC noted that the war cost us 3,5000 US and NATO troops and 900 billion dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Donald Trump:

“First Joe Biden surrendered to COVID and it has come roaring back. Then he surrendered to the Taliban, who has quickly overtaken Afghanistan and destroyed confidence in American power and influence,”

“The outcome in Afghanistan, including the withdrawal, would have been totally different if the Trump Administration had been in charge,” “Who or what will Joe Biden surrender to next? Someone should ask him, if they can find him.”

“What Joe Biden has done with Afghanistan is legendary,” “It will go down as one of the greatest defeats in American history!”

“It is time for Joe Biden to resign in disgrace for what he has allowed to happen to Afghanistan,” Trump said Sunday evening. “Along with the tremendous surge in COVID, the Border catastrophe, the destruction of energy independence, and our crippled economy.”

“It shouldn’t be a big deal, because he wasn’t elected legitimately in the first place!”

Trump got everything right except for the wasn’t elected legitimately. Electoral College elected Biden president, even if it was done because of nefarious results. But more and more people are wishing Trump was still president.

Joe Biden:

“There’s going to be no circumstance where you’ll see people being lifted off the roof of an embassy of the United States from Afghanistan.” 

https://i.insider.com/6119682bc040ad0018ce63f1?width=700

🤥

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Didn't he release a load of Taliban operatives and do the deal to have the Taliban take over in the first place? I mean sure blame Biden for the withdrawal but Trump deserves about as much credit for this as W. bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

"Trump got everything right except for the wasn’t elected legitimately. Electoral College elected Biden president, even if it was done because of nefarious results. But more and more people are wishing Trump was still president."

What? What "nefarious results"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Your sentence "But more and more people are wishing Trump was still president."

My response:

Yeah!! Bigly! Bigly more people drinking the covfefe koolaid wishing Trump was still president. Bit sad that it didn't happen on August 13th :( Now, just standing by, eating hamberders and waiting on Q to give new dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Politics 101.

“I will end America’s endless war in Afghanistan and bring our brave Troops home”

Sometime later this actually happens but it’s done by a political opponent.

“This crazy decision destabilizes the region! It benefits our enemy which wants to destroy America. The President must resign”.

Blah, blah, blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It was way from all the conflict and not part of the so-called "riot." You led others to believe it was part of the chaos.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

Yeah it was just some armed people coincidentally nearby out on a stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

And you're trying to lead others to believe that the election was rigged so 🤷‍♂️

edit

"so-called "riot"" 🤣🤣

The US has troops in dozens of countries. Trump would have pulled out most troops but would have left enough military and assets remain to combat the initial surge of the Taliban and to call in and coordinate reinforcement assets to put them down when they broke the treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Trump removed troops from Northern Syria, stabbing the Kurds in the back as he did so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Do you remember when the GOP had a page on their website praising Trump's historic treaty with the Taliban?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-removes-webpage-praising-trumps-historic-peace-deal-taliban-1619605?amp=1&ocid=st&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Hehe, see I knew it was just taken out of context. That is obviously what he meant when he said take the troops home. The man who tells it like it is was actually lying, what he really meant was that 21 years was only the start and the US would have a presence in the country for the foreseeable future, and would also increase whenever he felt it was necessary.

Thank you for clearing that up, because he sure as hell didn't make that very clear when he actually talked about it.

No that wasn't in the memo, which read plainly:

1. Get us out of Afghanistan.

2. Get us out of Iraq and Syria.

3. Complete the withdrawal from Germany.

4. Get us out of Africa.

Signed in Trump's big sharpie signature on January 8, 2021 and hand-delivered to Pentagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I tell you one thing if Trump was still the Prez you would not be seeing the disaster that is happening in Afghanistan now! Trump wanted out correct but, to say Biden just followed his instructions is just bull! If that was the case Biden would have finished the wall along the Mexico border or finished the pipeline.

Even Biden admits the buck stops with him!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Trump announced intentions to withdraw from Afghanistan so early that even the Pentagon wasn't aware of it.

Seriously, completely brainwashed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement