Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

But this was a situation where the referee didn't see the incident, the linesman who did felt it should have been yellow cards to both while 1 umpire said he witnessed the head butt. From one camera angle it looked something like he moved his head towards the other player but other camera angles showed he was butted with the hurley and lurched forward. so its not reversing the referees decision as he didn't see it, he was going on what the umpire said, maybe the umpire had the same distorted angle too? maybe he now takes it back? who knows, but a player should probably not miss out on an all ireland because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

So the ref listened to the people who saw the incident and made his decision based on what he was told.

How is this not reverting his decision? The umpire didn't make the call to send him off and neither did the linesman. The ref did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

The people who saw the incident disagreed too on the sanction, linesman vs umpire

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fandozzle

Apparently the linesman recommended yellow to Gleeson and Casey.

Ref went to umpire who said clear headbutt to ref and red.

Ref never went back to linesman and took umpires view instead.

This all via the playback from the headsets.

Appeal successful on the back of linesman's opinion as ref didnt see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

They played them enough times to take note and destroyed them most times.

Post edited by Speakerboxx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Kilkenny recorded 6 wins in the 45 years years between 73 and 18. Hardly all that noteworthy and anyway has nothing got to do with the comment you made

Sounds fair enough but Im sure all the lads here who were delighted to see him hang and seemed to know all the facts of the case wont now admit they were wrong and get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Col. Blackbeard

Looking back at the Cork Kilkenny match, it was interesting to see the approach that Millerick took with TJ Reid where he didn't even really attempt to compete in the air with him, but instead stayed tight to Reid's back with his spare arm wrapped around Reid's waist from behind, so that he could hold Reid when he landed allowing support to arrive and bottle Reid up. Fergal Horgan clearly sees nothing wrong with this approach so it would be interesting to see in the final if Millerick will re-use this tactic when the odd high ball comes in to Flanagan or Gillane

Speaking of which, we must be due to an instalment of the once regular Donal Og segment on the Sunday Game, where he almost tearfully laments the use of the spare hand in hurling, or would the fact that Cork are now one of the more prolific offenders have anything to do with the segments recent absence? 

Post edited by Col. Blackbeard on

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Millerick is out of the final with a hamstring injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Col. Blackbeard

Ah, i completely forgot that. A cruel blow for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

No, most of the rest of us have open minds. Up to now there was no cogent reason given for the overturning of the decision save for " t'would be an awful pity if he had to miss the final". The explanation now viz the linesman is new, and in light of that I can at least see how there was a stateable appeal. Still not sure it should have succeeded and should have supplanted the ref's decision - but again who knows what else was said / proved at the appeal, what was in ref's report, etc.

Just to make it clear though, no one, including you, made this argument for the appeal up to now. Had you done, a different discussion may well have ensued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

There are a lot of interesting permutations based on the result of this final. We can now say for certain that Kilkenny's era of dominance is over. That is not to say Kilkenny won't win an All-Ireland again soon, of course not. Since Kilkenny last won it in 2015 Tipp have won it twice, Limerick have won it twice and Galway have won it once. So no county has really dominated but if Limerick win next Sunday they will have won three in four years. While that is not comparative to KK's eight in ten years and you couldn't really call it dominance it would still be a noticeable achievement.

As I have said before it would also mean they are the first county other than KK to retain the AI in fifteen years. 16 years is the longest gap Cork have had between winning AI's (1903 to 1919). If they lose Sunday then there will be a new record set. I am also fairly certain they have never lost three AI finals in a row. That is not one year after another but if they do lose on Sunday they will have lost three in a row (2006, 2013 and 2021)

Even though there is a mindset in Cork that with good U-20 and minor teams coming through there is a good chance they will win Liam soon (even if they don't do it on Sunday), there is still a bit of pressure on Cork to win.

Post edited by lukin on

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Looking for tickets for next Sunday (like many others). The clubs have got less tickets for the final than the semi which is hard to justify based on 24k capacity increasing to 40k.

I can offer a pair of Liverpool tickets for any home league game this season (or next season) except for Liverpool v Chelsea in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Further details here, including the linesmans yellow card recommendation and video footage in favour of Casey.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40358369.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Admins could we stop people asking for tickets on this forum. It's bad enough that Facebook is full of these requests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shark7

Cork are coming strong

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shark7

Cork are coming strong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

They do have a fair bit of basis in reality. 1966, 1986, 1990, 1999 etc.

Post edited by External Association on

Firstly you can always find examples of a time a team beat the odds, you can do it for any team but it doesnt meat that the majority of times the odds were not right and the team lost

Secondly the current Cork team plyed in none of the games you listed so it means sweet FA in regards to Sunday. Its just more BS about how some teams have hereditary traits passed down through generations

Limerick haven't beaten a traditional power in a final.

You don't like any mention of history because it doesn't suit your narrative.

Very tetchy, slightly aggressive, defensive, know it all posts over the last week, which are out of the norm for you.

Stay cool Breezy😎

• Advertisement

You say history matters but then say Limerick have never beaten a "traditional power" in the final.

Well if history matters yes we have beaten Kilkenny in a final and have never met Tipp or Cork in an All Ireland final so you could equally say Cork have never beaten Limerick in a final.

Not sure what you think my narrative is as I don't have one

It's a narrative of it doesn't matter what happens in the past and there's no way we'll be beaten as we're the better team. Black and white thinking. Dismissing Cork.

Cormac Egan Offaly player after their Leinster U20 win v Dublin.

'It was what Offaly football is about, what it was built on in the 70s and 80s, all the way up. Boys have grandads and even older that played in those great Offaly teams.

We thought we had to re-instil that back into this team. The boys Raf and Dec, and all the lads in the backroom team, really put that into us. That's as much them as it is us.'

Don't discount tradition against a county who has beaten you 3/4 times in GAA history. It's naive to think you're bullet proof. More than likely you'll win, but there's a lack of humility coming from some posters. On the day anything can happen. Spendings off etc. Injuries.

The power of the past if harnessed in the right way can be used, a certain spirit. Not you, but some posters think the GAA began around 2000 and we're so 'modern' now these things don't matter. Gaelic games are very tribal, visceral sports, who you are as a people and county can inspire.

I have never dismissed Cork. I just believe if they do win which is possible although the less likely outcome it will happen because Cork are a good side and played better than Limerick on the day. It will not be because Cork won matches back in the 20th century or because of some magic Corkness.

This Cork team are good enough to win but they are the underdog and nothing any mystical Cork team in the past will change than.

And I don't have a narrative or agenda because I am not egotistical enough to believe anything I say on Boards will affect the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Roll on Sunday!

But something you dismiss might make them better on Sunday. And that involves the county's history and tradition.

An 18 year old Offaly chap spoke about being inspired by men and deeds from 30 years before his birth.

But Offaly were up against Dublin who have way more history of winning so that proves your point wrong.

Offaly brought out a tradition that we put it up to these boys throughout our history. Beat them in the 60s, 70s, 80s. So many family connections. They said we have a proud tradition against massive odds against Dublin. No fear. The chap said it, it's in my quote, we were 'inspired' by those before us. they used the underdog tag perfectly. Cork are going to say to themselves are we afraid of this lot. They scraped past Galway in 2018, beat Waterford last year. Now the hyperbole is in full swing about them, 'unbeatable'. That's going to get the Cork blood flowing. Perfect ambush situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Sport is littered with upsets. All types of things motivate the human spirit.

People can dismiss the 'mystical' as they call it all they want. But what drives individuals and groups to overcome the odds sometimes can't be quantified.

Likewise Limerick could be in the zone all day and confirm their greatness. Good luck to both teams.

But if Dublin had won we would get a similar comment about history and that would be why Dublin won. It's easy say afterwards that this is why a team won.

Reminds me of Johan Cruyff on religion “In Spain all 22 players make the sign of the cross before a game. If it worked, every game would end in a tie.”

I'm not sure you are misunderstanding me or doing in on purpose. I completely agree Cork can win and have never called Limerick unbeatable.

I just think if Cork wins it's because they are a good team and were better on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

There's a whiff of 2006 about some of the analysis I've been reading. That year, Cork going for three in a row were widely hailed as the most professional set-up of all time, having dragged hurling out of the dark ages with an innovative running game, and training methods that had made them fitter than any team in history. While it seems ridiculous now, KK were basically seen as a good bunch of players sponsored by the local creamery sent up to give the juggernaut a game. People kind of forget just how one-sided the analysis was in favour of Cork at the time, but reading the papers the weekend of the match, I remember only ONE player, journalist, or analyst going for Kilkenny (Damien Fitzhenry, for the record).

Cork aren't being written off to the same extent, but there is a distinct sense that Limerick FEEL unbeatable, and there's definitely a belief that they have a style of play and level of conditioning that no other team can really compete with consistently.

The thing is, I agree with that analysis: on any rational breakdown of the teams' strengths and weaknesses, Limerick are better. To me they play a fantastic, smart, physical, disciplined style of hurling and have a team built around some magnificent hurlers like Hayes, Gillane, etc. They should be fine in this. Cork got over the line against a Kilkenny team that won the softest Leinster championship in nearly a decade; it was a heroic performance, but KK got so much wrong tactically, allowing Downey to look like a hero, for instance, after he was roasted for 5 points early on.

But still...I don't think Cork came out of that match looking like that was their All Ireland. I'm also really not a believer in this notion that a team with underage success can "expect" anything in future years (Limerick know this better than most, Clare more recently were expected to dominate and it didn't happen). All Irelands are there for winning, I really disagree with this idea that losing one is part of the process or whatever (sure just ask Cork). I think they should learn a LOT from what they did wrong against Kilkenny, and they have a style of play that doesn't play into Limerick's hands.

I'm really hoping for a Limerick win because I think they're a fantastic team who should establish a legacy, and I think Cork probably will win more in the next few years. I also find that when Cork win their fans become insufferable (I mean...every set of fans does but ye know what I mean here), and winning this, against the odds, after such a massive drought, they will, quite deservedly and rightly, be out to annoy the hell out of all of us for the winter. But I'm starting to lean towards a Cork win, if Limerick are starting to be thought of as some kind of well-oiled machine. Can't get away from the 2006 comparison, Limerick are often compared with the KK team of that era but I think they are usually analysed in ways that remind me of Cork. That doesn't bode well for them.

I don't see things as you see them.

You keep saying if Cork wins 'it's because they are a good team better on the day'. But what made them better seems to escape you. I've coached many a team and sometimes you just know when a team won't be beaten. They're more than the sum of their parts. You get someone in to speak to players and something is triggered. Tyrone were unbeatable in 2005 after Cormac McAnallen died the previous year. And it wasn't just Mickey Harte saying they played with a 16th man.

Your Cruyff comment, which is superficial from him, sums up the slave to science mentality. As if games were played in a sterile lab.

You might want to get the kleenex in so! Might need them early next week.

But both teams get someone in and both teams play with a 16th man and the team that wins always turns out to be a "team that won't be beaten" and both teams are more than a sum of their parts. It's just that the winning team gets to tell that story but if the other team wins they will tell all the same stories.

Thats the point of the Cruyff reference. You saw it at the Olympics where athletes were thanking god as if god was on their side but God is always on the winners side.

It's the same for all the stuff you are talking about. It's all retrofitted on to the winners

But both teams didn't have the same motivations in 2005. Tyrone made it clear what was driving them well before the final. All throughout 2005.

You view sport as being played by robots.

It's not a question of God, but some of us believe external factors influence sports. Can you accept some of us feel like that without you believing so?

I don't like bringing other threads into it but I first encountered you on a Reeling in the Years thread. The 2018 so called 'Beast from the east' snow storm was on. You made a comment as to why we made such a fuss about a 'few cm' of snow here. You were in London at the time. Poster after poster told you this was more than a few cm and we hadn't the tools to cope with it.

I told you in my location we couldn't get out for 10 days. Not once did you say ok maybe I got this wrong lads but argued ad nauseum that it was nothing. After burst water pipes, breaking ice for cattle to drink and 10 days of hardship, replicated throughout the eastern half of the country it was galling to hear such absolute shite!

I don't know what you are on about with robots. I don't think anything like that.

But clearly you are just arguing with me no matter what I say because you are holding on to some gripe with me from another thread so I'm just gonna leave it here and not have the rest of the thread have to put up with a personal feud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Teams can play above themselves on a given day, it happens in every sport where the underdog wins, despite the opposition being clearly the superior team, sometimes a game can take on a life of it's own, players can play out of their skin, above anything they played before or ever will again. Tradition can also play a part whether people choose to believe that or not, it can have an affect.

On all known form Limerick should win and I expect them to win and they could well win quite easily, but, Cork will have a belief that Waterford lacked last year and in the semi final, a belief from their tradition which can't be dismissed and if they smell a chance of victory with 10 minutes to go they will not be afraid to take it, unlike the likes of Waterford and Galway who have a history of losing finals and close matches. Cork present a much more serious threat to Limerick than Waterford last year, the fact that Limerick already have 2 All Ireland's in the bag should mean they should have the experience to deal with anything Cork throw at them.

Just on that last line, if previous titles meant that much, Dublin would be in the football final etc. that Dublin side was rattled when by rights their experience should have won it out.

I'm genuinely amazed people are discounting 'tradition' when it comes to success. It's definitely part of the intangible elements that determines how matches, especially, big matches go. It's not the defining element, but it's part of it. If Kerry beat Tyrone for example, Mayo aren't just facing the Kerry football team, they are facing Kerry's history of success and their history of failure. Cork do not have that hang up v Limerick, though Waterford probably did last year.

No personal feud. That thread was 4 months ago and today is the first day I've countered your posts, hardly a major grudge or I'd have brought it up long ago. Just the domineering attitude, shown on that occasion when you were obviously wrong.

Not replying suits me fine.

• Advertisement

It's science taken to the limit by some Harvey, which I don't believe.

It goes 20 players v 20 players the best set of players win. No other factors.

To say anything else is just superstition were told. The lower status of spirituality and religion today is even used! We're idiots believing in some mysticism carrying over from a previous century!

Great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

KK were no better than 6/4 to win that All Ireland in 06. Cork are 10/3. Cork were favs in 2006 but not raging hot favourites like you say they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I can't find anything online with the odds for that All Ireland, but if you have a link do send it on! I'll take your word for it otherwise, and fair enough...but I also can't find a single article from the build up, in any of the national papers, where someone thinks Kilkenny would go on to win, and reading the articles the journalists making the case for KK doing have a tone that suggests it is incredibly unlikely and would require everything to go right on the day. They were, in the literal sense, being written off, as are Cork now. Successful teams can look invincible at moments like these and then they are dismissed the next day as yesterday's men. The response to Dublin losing their first championship match in seven years or whatever at the weekend is the same thing.

I'm thinking Cork will win, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Tbf to Dublin, the winning streak had to end sometime, there were signs they were on the slide this year, they also lost a lot of experienced players in the last 2/3 years, even since winning the All Ireland a few months ago, in the end Mayo only just about got to extra time.

Limerick are still in their prime, they haven't shown any signs they are on the slide in this year's championship. My point about Limerick's experience of winning their 2 All Irelands means they know what to expect on All Ireland day and will take great belief from winning those 2 All Irelands which should negate the belief Cork bring from their tradition.

Are journalists actually writing Cork off I havnt seen much in the way of build up from the press yet. If so though thats nuts given the games these 2 have played over the last few years.

I know a lot of people are saying they think Limerick will win but "written off" means something very different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Theres no one writing Cork off.The picture of being massive underdogs going up to make up the numbers is way different from the reality. If Cork play to the best of their ability they can win the match, the opposite is also true. Limerick are favourite s because they have a history of winning trophies in recent years.Cork dont

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

If cork play to their best they still may not win, If limerick play 60-70% i think they could still beat cork.

If Limerick play to their best, they will win.

Thats why the bookies have them odds on with a 5 point handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stand em up

Have a feeling Limerick are going to produce there best performance of the year on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Cork win the All Ireland U20 hurling final v Galway.

Back to back wins in that grade for Cork.

In the minor final also on Saturday, before the big game on Sunday.

Great to see the work at Rebel Óg level bearing some fruit and should aid the seniors in years to come.

A win on Sunday would be great but at least the future is looking a lot brighter now than at the start of the season.

Underage success does not mean success at Liam McCarthy level of course, but building up a winning mentality will do no harm at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement