Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Unlike yourself I can't speak for everyone, but the wage only came out when the likes of Coveney followed by yourself were trying to use it as a reason to ignore the cronyism.

Trying to smear people as 'the usual crowd' doesn't change the crony nature of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭dubrov

In fairness, Twitter represents the opinions of only a small subset of generally vocal people.

I wouldn't bet your life savings on an election based on Tweets

Anyone?

See, if it's 'Zapp-own-ee' I could have

There was a young lass called Zappone

Who went out to dine with her cronies

But if it's Zapp-own, I would have to think more along the lines of

There once was a lass called Zappone

Who never ate dinner alone

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

An average person, so you're not counting TDs working year?

Well, fyi, an average person who is working a 40 hour week works every week of the year, where are you getting 220 days.

40 hours in some form leaves most (an average working person) with 2 days off at the weekend, you're cutting those days out to make it look like the Zappone gig is less than what people are saying, are you not counting an average persons legal entitlement to vacation or should an average person not get paid for that?

This Zappone gig was a scam from start to finish, those involved dont see it as that because they make the rules for themselves so by that rationale, they are breaking no rules.

None of this was suppose to have ever been noticed, gone under the radar and been forgot about by the time the Dail was back, the thing is, it did get noticed. It restores my faith in people that there are some out there who are watchful for this kind of cronyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

As is often the case, some important points are getting lost in the weeds of semantics here.

To reiterate what appears to have happened, and why it is potentially a big ol' juicy scandal:

• Zappone hosts a gathering for political elites at a time when said elites are still twisting themselves into knots warning the rest of the country of the grave dangers posed by this virus. The gathering was either illegal or against guidelines. The elites are not concerned by such pedantic arguments anyway because only smelly proles are stupid enough to catch Covid, and the elites are too smart and important to suffer the day-to-day indignities of the restrictions that they expect the rest of the country to follow. Guidelines are for normies after all, not the big important boys and girls who invented them.
    • A short while later, Zappone is quietly and conveniently appointed a totally non makey-upey job without open competition. Looks like the elite party was a successful attempt at currying favour from important peers. Chimpanzee societies do the same thing before political upheaval, as an aside.
    • Word gets leaked that the hotel event took place, shortly prior to Zappones controversial appointment. Media fail to even attempt to join the dots. It's crazy to suggest that the hotel bach is in any way connected to said appointment.
    • There is some initial fuss about the appointment not being OKd by the Taoiseach but then media loses interest.
    • In the meantime, the Tánaiste writes to the Attorney General in an arse-covering exercise, who swiftly and un-suspiciously clarifies that no guidelines were breached and actually the limit for outdoor gatherings has been 200 people for ages. Nobody else in the entire country knew about this increased capacity change. Dancing and music are suddenly no longer illegal, except for at weddings.
    • Just as the story is gaining traction again (on social media), the legacy media use diversion tactics: Hey look over there! The Healy-Rae's hosted several MASKLESS Covidiots in their pub!
    • Diversion largely works. The public don't care too much about the hotel gathering anymore because the legacy media aren't telling them to care about it. A handful of people on social media keep the story going for another week or two but are labelled as work-shy "conspiracy theorists" and shinners. Twitter subsequently gets involved and deletes tweets with a certain hashtag to remove it from the list of trending topics.

Few questions I would ask if I was a journalist

1. Who was in attendance? In particular, which TDs attended and were any RTÉ employees on the guestlist?
    2. Was public money used?
    3. Did everybody in attendance need to produce a digital C-19 passport?
    4. If C-19 regulations weren't followed, will the hotel in question face any fines?

Personally I don't see this story going away, despite the transparent attempts to bury it.

But I have no idea how journalists appear to have no interest in pursuing a story that has the makings of a government-endingdebacle that could usher in a general election.

• Advertisement

Jesus you're grasping.

PAC are looking into it.

Coveney said on RTE that he was thinking of creating a LGBTQ type of role and she said she wanted a 'Free speech and Freedom of expression' role. Add to that they aren't tripping over themselves to replace her. We don't know the details of the job, (likely Coveney doesn't either).

Would Zappone be stepping on this lady's toes:

Irene Zubaida Khan (Bengali: আইরিন জোবায়দা খান; born 24 December 1956) is a Bangladeshi lawyer appointed as of August 2020 to be the United Nations Special Rapporteur for freedom of expression and opinion, the first woman appointed to this mandate.[1] She previously served as the seventh Secretary General of Amnesty International (from 2001 to 2009). In 2011, she was elected Director-General of the International Development Law Organization (IDLO) in Rome, an intergovernmental organization that works to promote the rule of law, and sustainable development. She was a consulting editor of The Daily Star in Bangladesh from 2010 to 2011

Can you point me in the direction of a FF/FG/crony who would say, 'sure I've enough money, I'll do this for nothing'?

They don't pay these people based on need.

Don't go on it much myself. Point is because you read opinions you don't like, it doesn't make them wrong because they're on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Doesn't make them right either. Twitter is used constantly as some sort of source of valid information. In reality the majority of information on twitter is rubbish. MIT tracked it and it is 70% more likely a false story will be shared than a true one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

FG and it's supporters don't like Twitter for two main reasons, the first is they're not particularly very good at utilising it(check out the official FG Twitter account, it's basically a great big PR disaster I'm convinced is operated by some YFG troll in their mammys basement)

The second, and main reason is, they cannot control the narrative, and that terrifies them, scares them sh1tless.

If it was the money you think they might have given her more than 15k?

You can shout and roar all you want but the biggest issue on all of this is the so called wages are tiny. Even if she worked an entire year she would be on 66k a year, a TD is on 96k a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

Why would she be stepping on toes .. Zappone has her own track record in relevant matters ?

You're right it doesn't, thought that would be a given, but sure go on.

Twitter is used as a source to quote accounts.

Twitter is mostly people discussing things.

First off not a FG supporter. Most of the comments on here is that FG supporters are highly paid people and don't know what it is like for the working class. Now you are trying to say highly paid and highly educated people can't use twitter?

What narrative? what is the narrative they would want if they controlled twitter?

It's not, twitter is mostly used by people to sell things. People who don't know any better think it is a source of information. Plenty of other online tools for information which is actually true and correct

peak Karen !!

do you really think Healy Rea's daughter conspired with the government to leak video of her auld fellas pub ...

there is zero evidence - zero even inkling of evidence that public money was used ... in actual fact the gig probably cost zappone about half the UN salary to host .. so even thinking that the dinner was to win favour and secure the €13k a year gig is bull.

we all know that Leo is as weak as they come and him running to the AG to cover his ass is par for the course .. that's an issue for him.

but the rest is nonsense .. no matter how dramatic you try make it sound.

BTW .. when you brought the Killgarven boys in to it you argument is as strong as what you'd find in the conspiracy theories thread about 5g and vaccines

Because Irene Khan already works for the UN doing the exact same bloody job? We are already paying someone to carry out this work.

Have you compared the two jobs to determine if that is true?

Not shouting and roaring 😎

Trying to use the salary to excuse the cronyism didn't and won't work. Why are you trying so hard to let this slide?

And you can only have one envoy globally .. representing the 180 odd members ?

you are clutching at straws now ...

• Advertisement

We have people in the UN with staff working on Religious expression, Freedom of speech and on and on. We, the UN, don't have one from each country. It was a made up job already filled in the UN.

You are coming off as desperate. What's clutching at straws, pointing out she created it and that such a position already exists? 🤠

Ran out of road?

Is the next step "I know you are'? 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

First off, I couldn't care less who you support or give your vote to, unsure why you even feel the need to tell me that, and second, the rest of your post appears to me to be a script you conjured up, impromptu, from the depths of your highly imaginative and wildly deluded imagination.

Most of the comments on here is that FG supporters are highly paid people and don't know what it is like for the working class.

where are these comments? by "most" do you mean mostly non existent? Can you dig out a few, if most of the comments are along the lines of the absolute nonsense you just typed out, it won't take you long to finding them, your posts are becoming increasingly delusional, and appear to be the be ramblings of a deranged fantasist. 🤪

it isn’t one from each country we are talking about - just one more. For a paltry €13k per annum. But keep getting angry and outraged … it will just make you happier if you are in to that

No one appreciates the arts any more.

You're making excuses.

Trying to turn it onto me personally, won't help. You already hit me with 'pathetic'. Yourself and Dudley might be okay or willing to excuse such behaviour, I'm free to disagree. The way you and others always make it personal loses you much credibility. It was wrong IMO. It's being investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I know Zappone hasn't been doing interviews and Leo be dodging, but has Ivana been getting away too?

Has anyone asked Leo or Ivana who else was there. I can guess Baciks answer would be something like "erm.. I don't know, I was only in and out 15 minutes" but doubt here constituents would let her pull that.

Leo. ever the coward, would probably answer some bullcrap about not being able to comment or say who else was there. Doesn't want to name 45 FGers.. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I do have a flair for the dramatic, I'll give you that.

Neither of us know if public money was used. Presumably it wasn't as Zappone is not a sitting TD so would have no expenses. Still, who knows without any journalistic investigation into the debacle? The silence from media is suspicious. The silence from fellow TDs is even more suspicious. I never asserted that public money was used btw - just highlighted it as a question I would like to ask, were I a journo.

It sounds as though you aren't in the least bit interested to find out whether the most powerful politicians in Ireland, who have worked hand-in-glove with the media to condition their constituents into believing that they are little more than potential biosecurity threats over the last 18+ months, have in fact breached the very laws/guidelines that they themselves invented and expect you to gleefully follow.

It's interesting to me that you've instead resorted to a few lazy ad hominems and strawmen and have not been able to present any evidence that my hypotheses, dramatically-put as they admittedly are, are flawed in premise or are likely to be untrue for the reasons of x, y, z...

MerrionGate is another case of "rules for thee but not for me" and it is sickening to see it go unchallenged.

I’ll leave it at that so - don’t want to be the cause for raising your blood pressure any further.

Anyway - I’ll go back to my echo chamber where the vast majority couldn’t give a flyin F what happened in the Merrion

• Advertisement

Nobody does care…no matter how much they shout and roar here

Advertisement