Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oulwans n' Oulfellas Rock On!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Despite the heading, it shows who created the thread and when... another bit of work in progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I think the elves will be working a lot of overtime, poor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Alice1

I bookmarked this (when I found the thingy) but I'm not getting notifications. Nothing since July 28th .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

We are all old enough to have learned to be patient with the changes that Boards made over the years. It's taken me about a week to get a kinda working flow to see my threads and favoured forums. I have no doubt that improvements will come along (eventually).

Meanwhile, I'll just whinge about the weather. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My bookmarks have been working fine, a bit too fine, I have had to dump some of them as I was being plagued with more notifications than I could cope with. Have you checked the notification icon is still checked?

Yes I agree OG, its gradually coming together, we do need My Forums as the Categories thing is hard work, and the Topics drop down is useless, but as you say, its getting easier.

• Advertisement

I can wait, I'm very patient. Some things are a bit odd though. I typed a reply and then changed my mind about posting it, I'm sure I deleted it but when I returned here, my post was still there. Maybe when I post this, the two of them will appear! I've been looking at all the new emoticons we now have available and I have to say I don't know what a lot of them are saying! Something else I've noticed about Boards lately (non-tech), is a lot of the posts now have little or no interest for me whereas when I joined there was a lot more. Maybe there are a lot more younger people here now and I'm just getting older. 😢 Gosh, can you hear that torrential rain outside? 🌧️

P.S. Ah, only the one post appeared after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yep water butts that were empty a few days ago now overflowing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

It is very hard to find this thread and forum in comparison with other ones on boards.ie🧐

the new format is an evolving situation so we can expect us oul folks to be last to be rescued.

i imagine that we are on the top of the towering inferno or the upper deck of poseidon adventure/ titanic. If so, i like my tea with middling amount of milk and no sugar, 2 biscuits please, thank you 👌❤️

The whole thing is a bit of a mess still, though it is improving.

I don't thing O&O is any harder to find than any of the others, but none of it is easy.

I am on a laptop, I can't cope with the phone site. I find the best way to find a forum is to only use the 'Categories' list, ignore the 'Topics' list, that is hard to sort out. 'Categories' is in alphabetical order so you can whizz down the ones that have blocks of titles to find Social & Fun, and O&O is there in the middle of it.

Otherwise you can follow individual threads by clicking the little banner icon at the top right of the page, within a thread. That will give you a notification (the bell icon) when there is a new post. Unfortunately you cannot follow a whole forum at the moment, and I am not convinced that the notifications are 100% reliable. You can also click on your own avatar top right of the screen and a drop down menu will give you a 'bookmarks' list, which shows the threads you have followed.

thanks Looksee - I can now find my way around boards.ie using the Categories tab. Yippee!! And now for my first video - its much easier than the old way! 😁

• Advertisement

Sorry Looksee, can't agree completely with just searching Categories. Try searching Categories for sub-forums like Genealogy! You have to know it's under History & Heritage. It's a right old pain. Too many steps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Jellybaby, I don't seem to be able to get it to work on the mobile site, but if you click on this https://www.boards.ie/search and switch to desktop, if you select "places" it'll only pick up threads... provided they're not in a private forum.

Yep, I just tried that now thanks NH, and got Genealogy but I'd never have thought of clicking 'Places'!!!! However, its still more steps than I used to take to find it. In the ould days I would start to type Genealogy........and before I finished typing the word, right below up came the list and Genealogy would be the first one. I suppose we'll get used to everything in time and the extra steps will become routine but it doesn't make sense to me to make the search take those extra steps.

No, you are quite right JB, it was correct when I posted but changed shortly afterwards and it appears that the Topics list (line above categories) is now the approach, but you are right, you have to know which forum is in which Category. I now cannot see anything at all in either Discussions or Categories in the three sections, only Groups works. Its a dreadful muddle.

Edit, this is on laptop.

The only thing that could explain this atrocious migration would be if someone, just before, had said "What could possibly go wrong?".

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I find my way back into my favourite topics/threads by clicking on my profile icon (top right hand corner) then it brings up a panel that includes "discussions" under which is "Bookmarks" which I select so two clicks brings me to things I have posted in previously. Once in a category such as Oulwans, I can click on that on and it brings up all the threads in this category. Muddling along!

How about an online Oul festival?

We could start small, and then every year get bigger and look for funding?

We are too late this year to register with Culture Night but we could hold a fringe festival this year and next year enter Culture Night.

I am full of ideas, have you any?

This article has 4 tips for older people making making art https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-artist-louise-bourgeois. She is a artist as in visual art but the same tips could be applied to the performing arts or literature or any other art from.

Of course if any online festival happened it would not have to be limited to art or culture- it could be about agriculture or drinking alcohol - the sky's the limit ( not that drinking or farming is not an artform).

Great idea Red Hare. I have done RL culture week events a few times, good fun, but I think I would go a bit low brow this time and maybe have a hot dog stall. This Food Wagon idea is all the rage now so you have to think out of the box and do interesting things. Chocolate dipped hot dogs maybe? There is a firm somewhere around - Donegal I think, somewhere in that direction - and they are doing sausages with chocolate among other things https://www.barryjohnsausages.ie/product/chocolate-chip-honeycomb-sausages/ in case no-one believes me. Lidl are doing them too.

I will put my thinking cap on and come up with some ideas to inflict on other people.

Funky food by owls is a great idea for an online festival.I can eat all i want and not put on weight,.

It’s a hoot! 😀

• Advertisement

I volunteer to run the tea van .........oh all right I'll bring a jar of Maxwell House if I must!! Who's bringing the gourmet burgers 🍔 and chips🍟? I'll also run the vegan salad bar 🥗 for my special friends! I think you've just woken us all up Red Hare! 😃

Well our pop up festival is coming together now, I wonder if you can read tea leaves JB? Madam Jellybean’s Tea Parlour and Maxwell House of Tarot - maybe? We could get a festival tent and ask Old Goat for a burlesque performance too.. ?🎪

I'm only interested in having punters cross my palm with silver. 😎

OG in feathers and sequins? Would love to see that. Izzy around atall these days?

He pops in the odd time. Its hard to know who is around at the moment.

Could we have camel rides? I fancy riding on a camel. Or elephants maybe. Someone would have to be designated full time sweeper up though.

Don't like camels myself, they give me the hump! Heftylumps are always welcome though (elephants). 😉

I would do sweeper upper 🐫. Could there be such a thing as a burlesque camel - they have such beautiful eyelashes, and humps of course! ( I'm not going to mention the camel's toe because I will be thrown out of here).<<those very clingy leggings that everyone seems be wearing has me perplexed 😳

I'm perplexed by many of today's fashions. So what are we wearing to the festival. I'll look for my hippie gear from yesteryear! I'll pick a flower for my hair. I'll carry a herbal bouquet and I'll meet ye all at Strawberry Fayer! Are you going? 😊

Silly me! I hadn't thought of what to wear to this festival. If I am to be the sweeper upper for the camel's I will need to dress sensibly ...mmmh ...I'll dress up as a snowman so I my clothes are easy to wash if they get dirty. I need a strong hat, a carrot, some pebbles! Now my outfit is sorted let bring it on - Oulwans n' Oulfellas Online Festival - let's make it go viral ☃️

• Advertisement

Yeah, because camels and snowmen go together so naturally 😂 I shall wear my victorian outfit complete with large feathery hat. Haven't worn it in a couple of years now, bit doubtful about pouring my lockdown figure (figure?) into the corset though.

Advertisement