Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

At least some Afghani's are against Taliban at least.

The complete lack of resistance to the Taliban is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes thats what the Iranians are doing, and the same in Lebanon. But theres some pushback in Iraq...they can see whats happening, and the last thing they want is Iran controlling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

For the next few years I expect a lot of movies about Afghanistan with the yankees pretending they won the war but just left the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its easy to say here in a safe country that the Afghan soldiers should have fought back but as one guy said last night its their wives and families the Talabin would go after while they were fighting the rest of them on the front line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Rodric o gormon has announced were are granting 150 Afghans full asylum,none of which will enter direct provision here .and none of the failed asylum seekers will be deported ,

Already been a couple ,they beat the Taliban , corruption and foreign support allowed them to rearm and rebuild ,if the Afghans didn't want to fight , what could they do ,listen to how people claim are occupying and oppressing the Afghan people ,and how Afghanistan was a great country until bush invaded

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

For once, you can neither blame the republicans nor democrats in this instance. They went into an impossible situation and came out of it after they said they would. If they remained in Afghanistan, they would have been severely criticised.

I don't think America lost here, despite all the references to Viet Nam already.

I believe that the US will wage a long war using drones if they need to, assuming the Taliban propagate any threats to the US or its allies. Hopefully this will not be the case.

You have got to really feel for the citizens of Afghanistan. There seems to be no end to conflict in their country. It is most unlikely the Taliban will provide the stability they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭dogbert27

And if they had really hammered the Taliban earlier on ...they must have been vulnerable when travelling on the roads. I'm pretty sure that the Americans had good information from satelite / drone surveillance. It would not have changed the outcome, but would have at least slowed down the Taliban advance.

• Advertisement

The Russian ambassador is flying into Kabul to meet the new afgan president and government on Tuesday

,that didn't take long

That's what I don't get it takes large convoys to transport thousands of fighters ,easy targets for drones ,c130s and other aircraft ,

They already said they were using b52s and gunships doesn't seemed to have happened or had zero effect which would be hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So he's meeting the sons of the lads who 30 years ago were beheading any Russian soldier they got hold of, bit unusual for Russians to be in such a forgiving mood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

A number of influential anti-taliban figures such as Abdul Rashid Dostum and Atta Mohammad Noor are believed to have fled to neighbouring countries, you can be sure many of their followers have also done so. We have also seen a decent number of Afghan security forces fleeing alongside regime loyalists in the intelligence services, the ones that would rather go into exile than surrender. I would imagine a resistance movement will be formed in short order with incursions from the north beginning in time, most likely eagerly assisted by western intelligence agencies. Anti-taliban sentiment is still strong in the north and will be a natural home for resistance fighters.

Remember Putin recognised the Taliban years ago the Taliban have offices in Moscow ,

Wonder if he volunteers to send russian peacekeepers to help police Afghanistan that or the Wagner group will appear as advisers

For once I agree with o Gorman. We need to take some genuine people in from this situation and the rest of Europe is putting a temporary hold on deporting failed afghan asylum seekers for the time being.

I'm still completely opposed to all his other schemes of mass importation of migrants dressed up as asylum seekers and his refusal to deport those who have no right to be here, along with his state apologies etc etc.

Also all those been brought in need to be verified and any who commit crimes need to be deported and if they do commit crimes an investigation needs to be carried out into how they managed to bypass our admittedly porous borders and immigration system.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Fight against who? Against themselves? Or fighting for a country with a completely different culture and values. Only way usa could had won if they replaced the religion, by conversion or by importing settlers.

No its not.look at it from their viewpoint. Fight for a corrupt government against a foe that you cannot beat without the help of the US, who have pulled out of the fight? And not only will you be killed,,,but your Family too ( and anyone associated with you) So, no. You lose your weapons and uniform, and survive ( maybe to fight another day?? ) And cheer the victors... all to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I have no idea what the US Mission was. I'm not sure they did either.

And as a foretaste of things to come, they are already collecting weapons from the Citizens...as according to the Taliban, they wont need them any more as they ( Taliban) will protect them, so no need for weapons. Following a pattern, same as before.

• Advertisement

150 is pure mindless and meaningless tokenism.

I'm not sure what winning means in Afghanistan.

We have other schemes that bring in thousands via the UN. We also have an asylum system that attracts thousands every year who fly in here, the majority of who fail and we spend hundreds of millions of Euros on every single year. There is only so much we can do.

If they want to bring in more genuine people then they could shut down the system where people can fly into this country and claim asylum from EU accession countries, India, African economic migrants etc etc.

Do what the Danes and the Australians are implementing. This will never happen though because the current system lines the pockets of the NGO's and the legal industry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Its just a political gesture, no more... we can say we ‘did’..

we should be taking 0... I’m sure everyone on fûcking hospital waiting lists here and denied fûnding for rehabilitative inpatient treatments following assaults, car accidents, stokes and brain injuries and the likes will be overjoyed that the government can find a few million to help the health and wellbeing of people from a land 8000 kilometers away as their priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Trump made a deal where he told the Talaban the US would be withdrawing...there endeth the deal.

Likely, the Afghan army knew they were goosed, it was only a mater of time and figured best not to risk dying for a lost cause.

I feel sorry for all the servicemen and civilians who put their lives on the line for absolutely nothing. Anyone still there is fucked.

Anyone see Rambo 3? Very interesting. Rambo hooks up with the Taliban to take on the Russians. The Taliban are noble freedom fighters in that narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

that funding already has been allocated - its not finding money - it comes from existing programs. but dont let that stop you from your rant on not helping anyone outside of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭bmc58

China and Russia getting ready to recoginise the Taliban government.China wants access to the rare earth elements that Afhghanistan seems to have in abundance.Russia just wants to screw the US.Our planet is in danger with the effects of global warming but all Russia and China can think of is their own interests.People we are close to a war(possible Nuclear) and the finish of our civilisation.

The Chinese government don't give a crap about what anyone thinks. They'll do what benefits them most.

• Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You think the US/UK/the west has been doing anything other than thinking of their own interests for the past 20 years?

• Advertisement

Advertisement