Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, that hasn't changed, but with PCR testing now effectively walk-in, I imagine a large chunk of companies (think construction or whatever) who might previously have contracted out their testing, are now directing staff to book in at HSE facilities.

Or, maybe the big testing numbers are all being reported in from private testing - holidays and such - and not from the HSE test centres. It's pretty ridiculous that this data still hasn't been restored at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nobody needs to hide away - just accept that this virus needs to be taken seriously and agree to behave responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

It is indoor hospitality - Merrion hotel party has played a huge role

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I hope not! It's very likely that any increase in restrictions now would send a message to people that the vaccines aren't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Is there any other country with as seemingly as dire a situation with COVID in kids as the USA? Seeing the various doctors come out that kids hospitals are full of kids in ICU or severe states with COVID...surely delta is delta and we should be seeing similar carnage in many other countries barring drastic differences in health/healthcare etc.? If anything in recent times the HSE have doubled down on the extremely low risk of hospitalisation in those u19 with no health issues.

I see a lot of talk leaking in from the states into Irish discussion regards schools (& why they shouldn't open) because of what delta is doing to kids in America. Is it simply a pure numbers game and just more cases in children presenting more hospitalisations over there? Our case rate per million doesn't look overly different here vs America though tbf. The UK also has had one of the higher incidence rates per million for many weeks now and not seeing much re: severe presentation in children all of a sudden. Or is there that stark of a difference in the health of kids in America vs. much of Europe? I know they are up there in childhood obesity - but I don't think we are a million miles behind them there looking at some OECD data from 2019.

A curious case.

EDIT: gral6 - I'm not advocating for schools to be closed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

1 - more obese children there

2 - dont believe everything you read on twitter

At the start of the pandemic here we were inundated with stories about how young teenagers had to learn to walk again and were totally knocked by covid - but over time the stats showed this was only the case in a teeny minority. A doctor saying something on twitter or the news is not evidence of anything other than a doctor having an ego. Wait until statistics come out before getting worried about the children.

The one huge difference between Ireland and most of the USA is the prevalence, and necessity, of air conditioning. A lot of offices, buildings, classrooms etc in the US will have air conditioners running all the time and there's a serious confusion between fresh air and chilled air.

In winter in many parts of the USA it will also be impossible to open windows as it's going to be far, far too cold. If you open a window on a cold winter's day in the midwest somewhere, or even the North East, it's not just a bit draughty, it's uncomfortable and even dangerously cold.

There's a lot more risk of closed rooms with recirculating air in the US than here. Most of those systems have no filtration capability at all, other than maybe dust filters to protect their own components. So if there's virus in the air, it will be chilled and recirculated, and more and more of it just accumulates. That seems to be what was happening with the meat plant outbreaks here for example.

I think in an Irish context, we should be lashing a lot more money into providing suitable HEPA filters for classrooms, and also ensuring that they have adequate ventilation - there are things like heat-exchange vents that can be used, even if they're put through windows.

We need to be looking at things like the use of extractor fans, much like they had in old pubs in the days of smokey rooms. Increase the number of air changes in restaurants, bars etc ... Make sure you don't have stale air in places like toilets etc.

Simple things like lifts can be programmed to always park with the door open to keep them ventilated, rather than always closing.

The reality of this situation is this virus isn't going to just disappear in a few more months. We could be living with this for a long time to come and we do need to learn to live with it and not just keep assuming it's a finite problem that will end anytime soon.

We're stuck with it and we need to start adapting buildings to cope with it and that means applying technology and stop burying our heads in the sand. It's not that big a deal to plug in say 3 decent sized HEPA filters in every classroom. They'll become as much part of the background as the radiators are.

We are moving far too slowly on this and the Department of Education in particular seems to be engaging in what looks almost like 'magical thinking' if it imagines that somehow it can be dealt with by just mopping surfaces having little perspex shields.

The use of antigen testing has to become a routine issue here too as a tool for avoiding clusters.

We can either spend money on practical solutions to make things possible, or we can spend many, many times more money supporting businesses if there's some need for another lockdown. I'd rather go with the practical solutions and get things back to normal ASAP.

There just seems to be a lot of measures like improving ventilation and filtration of air that could be achieved, without any negative impact on lifestyles - in fact they might even make a lot of spaces more pleasant. However, we're not doing them on a serious scale or in any kind of coordinated way, because they're not as tangible and visible as the physical surface hygiene measures.

I'd like to see businesses making a feature of "this restaurant uses HEPA filtration, and monitors air changes to provide you with a safe, comfortable and pleasant dining experience" It's something that could be a major selling point, not an imposition.

The HSE and the hospitals have had a shyte record in simply staying sterilised, this can be seen with past rates of MRSA cases.

They cannot get their hands on carbolic soap let alone around a pandemic.

Scandal of the MRSA cover-up - Independent.ie

It's bizarre how jo public is paying for the abysmal failings of a business model like the HSE. And yes it's a business model, run like a cut throat bank, make no mistake. The fact that it has "health" in it's acronym is about as relevant as any GYM!

I never understand the logic of how hospitals are designed here. New build hospitals should be aiming to have individual wards and easy infection control. The days of building huge multi-bed wards should have been long over.

It always struck me as a marketing gimmick here in the sense that it was needed to sell tiers of insurance. The higher up the insurance ratings you the more likely you will have a private room. So there's a notion that private room in a public hospital is an oxymoron.

I also never quite understood why hospital wards don't have phenomenally good ventilation. I remember when my own mom sadly passed away with a sudden stroke, she was in a neurological ward for 24 hours and there was a patient who had to use a bed pan and to be quite honest the smell would make you nearly throw up. The only ventilation seemed to be normal windows open at the top, and the ward was just heated by radiators.

You'd expect an advanced air handling system that would safely remove 100% of the air in ward areas, passing it through a heat exchanger to save energy, but replace it all with fresh air.

We seem to still design hospital wards as if they're just any other space. They're nothing special in terms of infrastructure beyond wipe down surfaces.

Hospitals should be designed to control infection. That should quite literally be the core underlying philosophy of everything about their design. We seem to get bogged down on the same design criteria that you'd expect for a hotel room or an office building instead.

I mean, if you think about it, we're facing into a reality where there could be further pandemics and airborne pathogens like this one, there already are and will undoubtedly be more antibiotics resistant bacterial infections like MSRA and strains of Clostridioides difficile etc etc, yet I see little evidence that we've been planning infrastructure to deal with it.

Things like Norovirus (winter vomiting bug) or influenza outbreaks in hospitals simply shouldn't be an issue either and they'd be much less of one if the damn places were designed and managed correctly.

How many tens of millions get spent treating, delaying discharges and resulting in clogs and backlogs which have social and financial costs, all because of hospital infections that probably wouldn't have occurred if proper measures were in place around design and management?

It's amazing that hospitals, for probably the first time ever, are beginning to realise for example that they don't need to keep bringing everyone in for pointless reasons or stack them in waiting rooms for hours and hours because everyone's been given the same clinic time and so on. Finally some very basic elements of queue management are being applied! It only took a century and a pandemic for the penny to drop.

There's a lot we should be learning from, analysing and changing because of the experience with COVID. It should be an opportunity to reform and fix a lot of the health system. However, I'm sure it will be wasted as that's exactly what we always do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They are exaggerating. For what reason, I don't know. Probably a push to get kids vaccinated. Often if you actually look into these claims, you'll find that the situation seems to be mainly due to RSV hospitalisations in kids and staff shortages. For example, there was a judge the other day saying that in Dallas, kids needed to wait to another to die before they could be admitted. Total nonsense.

Yes the headline of that article is also alarmist, but if you actually read it you'll see that the strain is not just due to covid and there aren't pediatric wards full of covid patients

"There are 387 operational beds in the Dallas hospital. Most are full, but only 7% of the patients were COVID-19 positive on Friday. The others are kids with broken arms and appendicitis and cancer and all the other ailments for which kids end up in the hospital.

Forty-two patients were in Children’s Dallas PICU on Friday afternoon, out of 44 staffed beds. Four were positive for COVID-19."

The Dallas-Fort Worth Hospital Council said Thursday that the region had run out of staffed pediatric ICU beds. On Friday, Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins stated during a news conference that if a child is injured and needs an ICU bed, “your child will wait for another child to die.”

But doctors at the hospital say they have open beds — and they’ll always make room for an injured or sick child.

which in your view means “keeping your distance”. That, at this stage, is a disproportionate response to the risk that remains

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Isn’t the HSE testing limited to only once per person? (I remember reading one every six months, but the HSE website says just once now)

Unless there is some other programs I don’t know about I doubt companies are just sending their employees to get tested by the HSE for free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

When I read the first line of your post I was just about to reply before reading the second line and say 2 of my uncles working in Intel are heading to the test centres nearly weekly for tests for their jobs. Unless the HSE have some contract with intel to test in their centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospitals up to 262, 51 in ICU but a slight drift down in positive cases to 1,558.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Great post. I find it instesting when consultants here benchmark their salary against somewhere like the US. What they don’t mention is the differences in cost between putting yourself through medical school here versus the US. Here, medical students graduate with an average debt of €20k, in the US it’s $200k.

It’s also probably easier to pay your consultants a high wage when the cost of medical treatment is sky high and can ruin someone if they don’t have health insurance. The average cost of a ER visit alone is over $2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I know one swallow doesn't make a summer but have we peaked with this wave or were testing numbers down.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Not good

82% of adults fully vaccinated and last time we had 262 in hospital was end of March/beginning of April after a brutal winter lockdown.

5 weeks ago we had 50 in hospital, now 262 and it's not slowing down, 425% increase in 38 days ain't good.

Doing the math with a 2% CHR we need to be sub 600 cases a day to stop hospital admissions increasing, that looks unlikely now with summer ending, schools coming back and everyone going back indoor from the cold.

We will have 500 in hospital in 3-4 weeks if cases remain as they are, last time we had 500 was Jan 2021, in Dec 2020 we were only in the 400's, I can't believe I am even writing this after we've all been vaccinated, 91% of adults with a single dose is insanely good, couldn't ask for better.

Government better hurry on with those boosters or do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The government need to get on the front foot with this before we have a real hospital crisis in a few weeks time.

What can they do?

1. Accelerate boosters.
    2. Make it clear now (not at the end of the month) that offices cannot reopen until the situation is much better and WFH must continue. Now is the time for clear direction on this for companies.
    3. Make it clear now that no more other restrictions will be lifted until the situation is much better.
    4. Make the DCC mandatory for more activities (gyms etc) to encourage more people to take the vaccine and reduce risk.

It means taking the advice of people who know what they are talking about.

• Advertisement

People who are out of sync with pretty much everywhere else

What hospital crisis? 262 in the entire country?

How many are actually in there only due to Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A lot of companies are steaming ahead with return to office plans while our government are gone AWOL/on holidays. It's a ludicrous situation.

The bit about keeping a safe distance is the exact opposite to how teenagers behave, force them apart to sit in their bedrooms and you will have serious mental health issues to deal with, the peer group snd the larger the better is everything to teenagers.

Wearing masks is horrendous and so unnatural, so awful for babies and young children to not be able to read facial expressions, this is changing how humans interract and many have simply closed down.

But possibly in sync with the 1,558 people who contracted the virus today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So exoand vaccines passport requirements to encourage who exactly to take the vaccine? Is it 2-15 year olds you are thinking about because the uptake has been pretty phenomenal in all other age groups.

Also, who defines what better is?

With 50 total cases we still had no lifting of all restrictions so is zero the only game in town under this new eutopia?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

If we lockdown hard now, we'll have a chance to have meaningful Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Fûcking shît sick of all thy rhetoric about needing to do something!! We’ve a phenomenally good vaccine rollout, with more to be fully vaccinated and no doubt some stragglers will get vaccinated as well! This bull about not loosening restrictions is a joke! If you’re afraid just stay at home! If vaccines don’t get us out of this nothing fûcking will, if you’ve people in this country continuously scared!!

A pal works in a private hospital and the consultant is constantly going” is the clinic full”, ie is he getting 250€ every ten mins.

So no way is he going to cut down on numbers and he wont want public clinics managed well either, this might mean Joe Soaps cancelling his health insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The concern is not where hospital numbers are right now per se but rather where hospital numbers are headed.

Take up has been phenomenal but we still have circa.10% of the adult population who have not got a vaccine. That's a lot of unvaccinated people. Other countries have used carrots (incentives) and stick (DCC expansion) to bring the hesitant group down further. We should do the same.

Advertisement