Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Astrology is a more logical belief than Christianity or Islam. I mean there's a chance that, if the moon can move oceans on earth that it can also have some effect on the bodies of humans, even if we don't fully know anything about those effects. Obviously it's pure nonsense but it's coming from a much more logical thought process than the zombie carpenter stuff.

And 80% Ireland subscribe to the later belief system

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭techdiver

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So what's the story with these Romanian mRNA doses? What manufacturer and how how long have they been in storage. Will they be the exact same vaccines as already used here, manufactured in same facilities?

Will there be resistance to taking them? And where are HSE targeting them? I recall there were issues with certain batches of AZ which were from other manufacturing facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

From earlier discussions it's my understanding that Ireland is buying some of Romania's Pfizer/BNT allocation and it's not doses that have been in storage but will be delivered from the manufacturer directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pfizer supply to the EU all comes from the approved production facilties in the EU so not sure why your asking will they be the exact same vaccine. How could they be any different?

Also as per the deal done they aren't coming from Romania. They're coming directly from the manufacturer out of Romanias allocation.

Why would there be resistance? It's the same vaccine that's been in use here all the way along.

The EU never had issues with batches of AZ from other locations, that was the UK. EU hadn't approved the plant in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I was very worried about this before it was clarified recently.

Thankfully these aren't 2nd hand vaccines stored by another customer an unknown way.

It's coming straight from the manufacturer. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭blackcard

Australia are getting a million doses of Pfizer from Poland but the deal seems to be going through very quickly compared to ours, vaccines are expected in Oz within 1 day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think the issue was sorting out the logistics of getting the vaccines (which may have helped the Australians) to come directly from Pfizer rather than from the country who is donating them. I think the Australians need is probably greater than ours is at the moment. We seem to have plenty of vaccines.

Yes, if the scenario were completely different, I might feel completely different about it.

As things stand, I’m coughing up no blood, I’ve been hit by zero cars, and I’ve roughly the same risk of dying from Covid as I have of dying in a house fire on any given day.

Not gonna lie, I’m having trouble understanding what point this comparison is trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The house fire is an interesting comparison. Do you have a fire alarm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The point is that, in any other medical situation, if offered the latest medical technology which has had unprecedented levels of resources poured into it in response to the biggest medical issue on the planet, which has gone through the required testing and has been fully approved, and has been used in people for over a year and received by a billion people since, you wouldn't be say "I'll do my own assessment of risks and benefits". I don't care who you are, you don't know more than the collective minds of the scientists who developed these vaccines or the regulators who approved them.

In any other circumstances a person would be ridiculed beyond belief for taking the "I'll do my own assessment of risks and benefits" in relation to medical issues. However, when it comes to vaccines, some people are willing to ignore the rules they would apply in literary every other medical situation (i.e. you listen to the doctors, you trust the regulators and you follow the manufacturers instructions). People only seem willing to deviate from that in the case of vaccines, it defies all logic.

“ the latest medical technology which has had unprecedented levels of resources poured into it in response to the biggest medical issue on the planet, which has gone through the required testing and has been fully approved, and has been used in people for over a year and received by a billion people since”

Thanks for the response.

Can you give an example of where you’d see the above scenario playing out with a new technology?

And sure, someone might be ridiculed in that situation. Fortunately, I have never been predisposed to making decisions on the basis of other people’s opinions. Which is probably why I was so prepared for this pandemic at its inception, when the experts and the news media were saying it was nothing, and why I was so comfortable getting side-eye for wearing a mask before the first case was detected in Ireland.

I understand that your opinion and assessment of the risk based on the information you’ve seen means that you’ve received the vaccine and done so gladly. I respect your decision. I don’t understand why my hesitance is an issue for you, when the main result of me getting vaccinated would be that my own risk of severe disease would be lowered.

Israel cases/hospitalisations very concerning from our perspective due to their poor dosing strategy.

Why did we follow trial data and not UK in relation to pfzier also?

AZ people here probably well protected yet given most had few months between doses (followed UK data).

Some people only have 3 weeks between doses for pfzier as NIAC (Butler & Co.) were to weak to follow UK strategy.

Historically this will be seen as a mistake around the world, that UK avoided due to better people and data.

One dose of pfzier/AZ was very protective against alpha in winter/spring.

The vaccine wall in ireland would have been higher earlier in year with more first doses quicker and also stronger now.

Thats what its all about now.

Building the strongest wall with vaccines as possible combined with natural prior infections that come at a higher price.

UK at this stage probably has stronger wall than us as it takes time for vaccines to accrue protection and their superior dosing strategy to ours. They have also higher natural protection, which will help them going forward, but obviously came at a price of severe illness and mortality higher than our own experience.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Second-Generation mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate, CV2CoV, Demonstrates Improved Immune Response and Protection in Preclinical Study

Preclinical study provides evidence for strongly improved immune responses with second-generation mRNA backbone jointly developed by CureVac and GSK compared to CureVac’s first-generation mRNA backbone

https://www.gsk.com/en-gb/media/press-releases/second-generation-mrna-covid-19-vaccine-candidate/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

8 month gap for boosters in the US. Not 6 months. If the gap is 8 months, it will be later this year before most Irish people get a third dose.

This dose interval “theory” is only supposition not backed by data and the Israel experience has not be replicated. In truth, unlike Ireland or the uk, Israel has large swathes of the older population unvaccinated. This coupled with testing which biases towards older people gives an unclear picture. Delta is here longer than Israel yet we don’t have the same pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'm just pointing out how illogical your position is. Don't take a vaccine if you don't want but don't pretend that decision isn't based on any logic. Its the "I'll do my own assessment of risks and benefits" line which is the biggest load of nonsense. Are you seriously going to dig through the mountains of data on these vaccines development, trials and now their use in hundreds of millions of people and expect to find something different to what all the expert scientists, regulators and various on-lookers have not found so far?

If you don't trust the system, will you be opting out of modern medical science completely until you have done your "own assessment of risks and benefits" of anything which gets recommended for your personal health? Stick to herbs and prayers instead? Didn't think so. I'm sure you'd have no issues if this stuff didn't come in a bottle that says "vaccine" on the label.

When you started wearing a mask is irrelevant and patting yourself on the back for being "so prepared for this pandemic at its inception" is just bizarre. Did your wonderful foresight on masks not extend to the inevitable endgame here that this would only be ended by vaccines and make peace with that? If you won't take a vaccine, then surely you have to accept you will eventually catch the virus, in which case why would you have been "wearing a mask before the first case was detected in Ireland"? Do you expect to avoid this highly infectious airborne virus for ever?

At least the anti-mask, natural hed immunity anti-vaxxers have got a constant logic running through their approach, albeit extremely selfish. There is a serious deficit of logic in your approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The US, like Israel, are having problems to get a very high uptake so their answer is to give boosters to pretty much anyone over the age of 50. Our approach, if we do it, will be the very vulnerable groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Taliban have outlawed covid vaccination in Afghanistan so the 'uptake' there will be low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

The paper they refer to on BiorXiv:

Looking at figures 3 and 4 one might be forgiven for thinking that the original might not be effective much, if at all, yet it did demonstrate some ok-ish efficacy (47%) in a clinical trial. To me it looks like one still doesn't need much of an immune response to keep this virus in check, as long as there is something there at all to facilitate early viral control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Government to defy WHO advice and begin rollout of booster shots

The Government is set to defy World Health Organisation (WHO) advice and press on with rolling out booster shots for vulnerable people and frontline workers from as soon as September.

This comes as ministers are worried about the impact of rising cases on hospital capacity with latest figures showing Ireland has the second highest vaccine uptake in the EU.

A well-placed source in the vaccine rollout programme has said third shots of vaccines could be rolled out from as soon as September, in line with countries such as France and Germany.

Targeted boosters should help going into the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kickmark19

Asking for a sibling. Can they show up a couple hours early for their dose 2 appointment in Citywest and be vaccinated? They have a time conflict but don't want to reschedule for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

My 2 boys aged 12 and 15 have got an appointment for tomorrow in Tullamore. Incredibly how fast the rollout is now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Don't think I saw Janssen in that release (AZ were referenced) but I assume I'll be able to apply as a Janssen recipient?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

In any other circumstances a person would be ridiculed beyond belief for taking the "I'll do my own assessment of risks and benefits" in relation to medical issues. However, when it comes to vaccines, some people are willing to ignore the rules they would apply in literary every other medical situation (i.e. you listen to the doctors, you trust the regulators and you follow the manufacturers instructions). People only seem willing to deviate from that in the case of vaccines, it defies all logic.

People are often advised, and it is advisable, to consider the pros and cons of elective medications and treatments. For example, people who pre-emptively elect to have wisdom teeth extracted are warned to first consider the risks of nerve damage; women in a certain age group will be asked to consider the risks of breast cancer when choosing to go on pills that affect hormones such as contraceptive pills; and on and on. The professional expects you to do your own assessment based on evidence available to you, they do not expect you to be an expert in endocrinology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Should be fine. I went 1 hour 40 minutes before my appointment a few weeks back and no issue.

HSE now promoting mRNA vaccines as second shot for those who got one AZ! Gas how slow they are to approve an approach that was being strongly advocated for back in June. What new evidence is there? You'd have to conclude that decisions on these matters have less to do with 'science' and more to do with sticking rigidly to plans for distribution and let the consequences look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oh look, it's Furze on the hobby horse again!

It's not the HSE who approves, it's NIAC. Plans for distribution are the concern of the HSE, not NIAC.

http://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0817/1241252-coronavirus-ireland/

• Advertisement

HSE/ NIAC/ GOVERNMENT - what's the difference??? All intertwined arms of the same entity but happy to quote each other as reasons to do this or not to do the other. You wouldn't fit a cigarette paper between them............

Advertisement