Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, can't say I'd be too enthused about that.

This I could get behind though... There have been recent rumours about a Quake revival happening at id. One supposed "in-the-know" Twitter guy had been saying that it will be a Doom 2016-style reboot, worked on by id and Machine Games, and will feature a SP campaign just like Quakes of yore. Well, turns out that id AND Machine Games will be talking Quake at Quakecon. Lots of salt required, but I'd love if this were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

One thing I would be surprised at with the GTA remasters is if they're able to get all the music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Same; and if it's going to release on Switch, then clearly the graphical overhaul won't be excessive to begin with - so I guess beyond upscaled textures ... maybe a tweak to the controls (fingers crossed), perhaps they'll throw some more polys on the models?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If they are doing all three at once, I'd be very surprised if it's anything more than a HD upgrade. A full remake from the ground up would be a huge operation.

I can see them using the old "we wanted to retain the original experience line" and slightly improve the visuals. Even though if you wanted the original experience you could just play the originals!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can't really anymore though. The HD releases of the GTA games are all based on the XBox releases which changed the renderer and they look much different and way worse than the PS2 originals. Hoping these releases at least align their visuals more with the PS2 release. San Andreas in particular looks horrendous compared to the PS2 game which has a gorgeous oppressive summer in LA vibe that isn't present in any other release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Getting all nostalgic, decided to look up the intro for GTA 3, man, the music, setting, voice acting, just superb. I was thinking which one I'd play first and thought I'd do them in order but might actually start with SA. Saying that, the temptation to jump back into Vice City might just be too strong. But then, I remember how blown away I was by GTA 3 and would love to try it again.

San Andreas Intro:

Vice City Intro

GTA III Intro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,628 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I remember being blown away by the graphics in vice city trailer ! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

I still recall buying gta 3 vividly, I was going on a school tour for midterm break on the Saturday heading off around Belgium France and Switzerland, went into town to pick up my last few bits and strolled into games world ( i think) on liffey street to have a look for no real reason. It must have been just after the game was released

There it was on a display case and I knew nothing about it so I picked it up and went home to play it read the book all the way home on the bus and got home around 4, sat there for the next 12 hours before I had to walk to school to get a coach to the airport absolutely shattered, the holiday was ruined all I wanted to do was get back and play it. Longest week away in my life and the worst part was only 1 other person had it and nobody could understand why we we were so excited about this game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was a pure sleeper hit. Nobody expected it to be that good but then nobody had any point of reference for that type of game before outside of obscure stuff like midwinter on the Amiga. And even at that GTA 3 for all it's jank was still way ahead of anything of it's Ilk in terms of execution.

Gta 3, silent hill 2, klonoa 2 and devil may cry. I knew that xmas I had to get a ps2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So following on from this, the schedule briefly included this info before it was quickly removed;

Quake is back, in this special stream John Linneman from Digital Foundry talks to Jerk Gustafsson of Machine Games about the title's iconic legacy and what it meant to both of them. The pair will also discuss the additional content Machine Games have contributed to this revitalized edition.

"Revitalized" edition doesn't sound too promising in terms of a complete reboot á la Doom 2016, but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Probably a console version of Quake 2 RTX and maybe native versions of 1 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I always used a cheat disc when playing SA on my PS2. :o

Also, it was one of the few games in my Steam library that my ancient Intel i3-2xxx with HD4000 onboard graphics could run at a double digit framerate.

I'd love to see a new quake style game. That type of level design is just incredible compared to the glorified corridors of today.

At least we have stuff like Dusk and Amid Evil but still think there's room for far more of these games and an old school 90s style quake would be beautiful.

As for quake 2... I never really liked that game and don't find it all that fun good g back to quake 2 rtx.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Japan’s entire weekly top 30 is Switch games, first time that's happened in 33 years - https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/japans-entire-weekly-top-30-is-switch-games-the-first-time-a-single-format-has-done-this-in-33-years/

Goes to show just how dominant Nintendo is in Japan. There's the Switch and there's nothing else. Would love to think that this and the, hopeful impending successful launch of the Steam Deck, would make Sony think again when it comes to handhelds.

Japan has moved away from Console a long time ago. It was dying with the PS3 and dead with the PS4. The PS5 and its massive size just does not fit with Japanese living and was never going to do well in japan especially after the failure of the PS4 there. Mobile/Handheld just suits the japanese lifestyle far more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Doesn't help that Sony moved their clearing house for allowable content to California and started clamping down on content that usually sells pretty well in Japan seeing quite a few Japanese developers abandon the platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

On GTA 3, it was my most anticipated game. I loved the 2D ones (mainly cause it was an open city to explore), so when I heard 3 was in 3D it just blew my mind ha.

I brought any magazine that mentioned it, just to get more information and screenshots. I was counting the days till release. Then of course it was delayed few weeks after 9/11.

But as Retro said, there wasn't much hype for it, none of my mates were interested (of course that all changed after release). In fact I since read R* was surprised at the lack of interest when it was first showcased at an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I remember playing GTA 1 for the first time and even though it wasn't the nicest thing to look at, it was an amazing experience. I remember my 14/15 year old self left open mouthed when one of the first missions was "i need you to wack my brother cuz i caught him banging my wife" :o

That game was tough as nails though, don't think i ever finished it.

I never played GTA2 properly. Just load it up, head down to the bottom right and get in the tank for Killll Frenzy!

I haven't really played a GTA since other than trying 3 and Vice City for a bit, turning Vice City off after not being able to pass the remote control helicopter in the multi storey car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I loved GTA 3 and Vice City. GTA 3 was amazing, I had never played a game like it. You were set a mission and did it whatever way you wanted, if you replayed a mission it could turn out totally different. I still remember playing the mission at the start were you had to pull over a pimp in his car and kill him with a bat and he had an uzi. Loved it.

I've been wishing for ages they would remake these games with a modern update, I hope they don't just do a rush job 'remaster'.

I think most people preferred San Andreas the most, but I didn't take to it and gave up early on with that one.

I liked GTA V but it isn't the same as the old ones, they were more chaotic, funny and fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If they want a quick buck they could do Red Dead first, 80% of the map is already done they'd just need Mexico which while locked out looks to be mostly done too and then just an update to Blackwater and Armadillo and most of the characters from RDR1 are either already in RDR2 or they were already done to add to Red Dead Online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So who managed to get the dodo "flying" in GTA 3? I remember finding a guide somewhere on how to fudge the physics to get it into a wobbly flight. Think I managed about 60 seconds before the wingless plane pitched itself into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I got pretty good at flying it, because I'd heard there was a secret area around the back of the third island (where there are tunnels going through the hill which are blocked off for roadworks). Spent ages learning to fly the dodo until I could fly round the back of the island. There was a small area, but it was unfinished, nothing happening in it, and physics were off (invisible walls and flying through buildings/ground). Turns out it's where some of the intro video of the bank job is set, so it was just used for that and was a leftover asset.

I also managed to land inside the big football stadium and walk around a bit, but no way out and couldn't take off inside it so had to suicide to get out.

I miss those days of gaming secrets. Sometimes bullshít, sometimes genuine but so many games of that era had these rumours that without social media or mainstream internet, hours were spent chasing them. Kinda cool that one was real, of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I still remember a friend telling me when I was 11/12 about how you could die in Ruby/Sapphire by going to the Moon to face Deoxys. His claim was that you needed to use a Master Ball instantly as otherwise your Pokemon would get killed by the vacuum of space, leaving your character open to a fatal attack by Deoxys.

My younger self had no idea that'd never get cleared by ratings boards, never mind Nintendo and Game Freak wanting to maintain their family-friendly images.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

The article doesn't make it clear, but this is just physical copies and doesn't count online sales, which would be way higher on other consoles. In that top 30, the number 1 game sold less than 15 thousand copies and the number 30 game barely sold more than 2 thousand, which are pretty miniscule numbers in a country the size of Japan. I also have no idea what impact that week being the week they were hosting the Olympics, and a covid state of emergency being announced in Tokyo, would have had on people making visits to physical stores.

If you look at hardware sales, the PS5 has been doing about 25k units per week in Japan, basically that's as many as they can supply. So for no PS5 game to be on that list it would mean that 90% of people who just bought a new console didn't bother buying a single game. While the Switch is absolutely the number one console in Japan, the competition is far from dead and the reality is that the chart just reflects how far behind the times Nintendo continue to be when it comes to digital distribution.

Sorry but home consoles have been pretty much dead in Japan for a while now. The massive expensive consoles dont suit the lifestyle there compared to mobile and portable gaming. Online sales also aren't as strong in Japan as the rest of the world but no doubt taking them into account would see the switch trounce the competition as well.

Does Nintendo have the voucher system in Japan, just as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Advertisement

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

Advertisement