Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

We won but that was a really ugly collision at the end. I hope Lee Desmond is ok because it didn't look good when the stream cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Great win for us tonight. Finally took our chances in a game. Thought Shels were fairly poor given the players they have. Losing Lunney probably didn't help that. They resorted to lumping it a lot second half. Our centre halves were comfortable with that by the end. Gap is 7 points now. If only we hadn't fcuked up last week v Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Caulfield seems to have turned it around! Things looking a lot better than than they were when Shels won the last game 4-0.

I thought Waterford had become a likeable side after that idiot owner left and they got a decent manager in, but then you see their bench complaining about the medical staff taking too long to treat a lad who suffered what could have been a serious head injury and any good will goes right out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I didn't see that on the stream but I heard about a player and management of Waterford complaining to the ref after Desmond went down. What a crap thing to do, it was clear that Desmond was badly injured.

According to Daniel Mcdonnell on Twitter Desmond was conscious going to hospital, serious facial injury. Hope it's not too bad.

Absolutely, but we are actually quite good at it and it's usually part of the plan. My point was Shels were just lumping it in hope, when playing on the ground probably suites them better. Either way we were much the better team tonight. Probably our most complete performance of the season. Chances taken, defended well, very few chances given up, game management was also very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

They were wondering why a free out was given when your own two players clattered into each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We were really poor, no MOC up top killed us. The full time aspect of Galway is shining through now, hitting form at the right time while we're struggling. Couple of huge games coming up.

No way did it seem that there was 800 last night, unless our side of the ground was packed down from the Away fans? Healthy away support considering only 25 tickets were sold as Away Tickets :D

Ya it seemed less full than last week v Cork, maybe 700. But you guys took up more space in your area of the stand than was there last week so it was hard to tell really. The tickets were definitely all sold out so it could have been that some people bought them but didn't attend too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Back to Dalymount today for the first time since March 2020. (Bar a women's game on Friday evening).

Looking forward to shouting abuse and generally making a fool of myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

3 wins on the bounce now for us and just 5 pts off 4th after that brutal run, still not playing great but improved... I'd love some consistency, every year we have that long brutal period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Some big results today. Bohs beating Sligo 1-0 really brings them back into contention for Europe and they are nice and tight to Sligo who seem to be in free fall.

Dundalk lose to Derry. Very hard to see them rescue a top four finish now and would require an amazing run of form. The cup surely their best hope now. Think 3 players came off injured for Dundalk too.

Rovers go 3 points clear of Pats with another 1-0 win.

The less said about Sligo Rovers the better. Quickly turning into a disaster of a season. We're definitely not making Europe, we went out of the Conference League to an average Icelandic side and were dumped out of the cup by Cork. Pathetic return after the start we had.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Jesus I enjoyed that. Be another 2 months till the next one, meanwhile the stadiums are full across the water and not a mask in sight.

Actually one thing you don't see from the streams is how criminally bad the refereeing is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I thought it really showed up the difference between top of D1 v solid experienced Premier side. Longford went long and high with very tall players and yet looked like they'd never break through. Sadiki and Webster mopping everything up and Harps picked them off..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

How is mc craith still refereeing? Anywhere else he be told not to come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fantastic result tonight, been a long time since we beat Dundalk at the Brandywell.

They really are a shadow of their former selves. Have seen Duffy terrorise us so often, yet today he looked ordinary. McEleney going off was a bit blow for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Tbh, since Alan Kelly went to the MLS... I don't think you can say we have a good ref in the league... Not that I'd put all at the same level either, some are just brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

The tackle on McEleney was ridiculous. Not even a card.

I didn't see the game as the stream was so bad, I couldn't watch it as it was giving me motion sickness.

https://twitter.com/adriantaaffe/status/1427024391792177153?s=20

• Advertisement

Thats criminal refereeing. First one was a borderline red, a lunge from behind and out of control.

This was the same referee who gave a free out for a rugby tackle on Duffy in Tallaght a few weeks ago. They are really piss poor and the referees inspectors are as bad.

From The Sun ‘ newspaper ‘

But having led Derry City to a sensational win over the Lilywhites at Oriel Park tonight.......

1 ( it was an afternoon kick off)

2 it was in Derry

is it any wonder our league isn't taken seriously

Was it? That's unreal. That was an insane decision. The reaction of Scales that time, he lay flat on the ground after the tackle he put in on Duffy as he was 100% sure he had just given away a penalty.

Agree that the tackle on Fats was bad, a definite card for sure. But as said, never surprised with the refereeing decisions in this league. Awful standard.

Really apparent yesterday how Dundalk have not replaced Shields in midfield. Never seen them so weak in the middle of the pitch. We bossed it too easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Shields is impossible to replace. Its the same as the way Man united never replaced Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why let him go then? That is the bit that I am stuck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

That's certainly what he said. I rarely take anything anyone says in football at face value. He hadn't yet been offered a new deal. Dundalk is being run in a shambolic fashion. Linfield were prepared to offer him a multi-year contract. They're a few of the true reasons imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Throw cash until he says yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Virgin Media Two will broadcast the Shamrock Rovers Conference League tie live on Thursday, with a guarantee that they'll show all their games live on VM2 if they progress to the group stage.

afaik Shields lives in Bangor , just outside of Belfast and has a young family. Add to that a decent contract and Dundalk pissing around.

• Advertisement

Nothing about loi referees surprises me anymore. Disappoints yes- surprises no. A few years ago drogheda scored from the kick off .ref made them start again. Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rte showing 2nd leg of rovers game

And not forgetting when we were leading them in Tallaght, ref allowed a goal to stand despite 2 balls being on the pitch and the restart taking place about 40 yards from where the ball went out.

But hey, you get used to it.

I have a feeling Shields saw a sinking ship and decided to get out while it hadn't totally sunk. Not sure how he got on with Vinny Perth but maybe he might have stayed had he known Vinny was coming back. I still think Vinny will bring back the good times, he just needs to bring in a few players and get the others playing well again. They showed there is still a very good group of players still at the club in the 2 legs against Vitesse Arnhem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dundalk's biggest problem is still the owners.

If they don't win the cup this year, and don't qualify for Europe through the league, will they still be there next season?

Hopefully they go, I hate to see football clubs run by people who aren't even fans of the game. come what may, I would love to see the Americans sell up, and they can take their crap reject American players with them. Irish clubs should be owned by Irish people who love football.

What do you think of Mike Treacy? I thought he was doing a good job and he is without doubt a fan of the game and the club. I don't think peak 6 aren't fans of the game or aren't that bothered about Dundalk. Actually they are extremely interested. However, Bill has been a disaster. I do think he is trying his best but if peak 6 took him out and replaced him with someone good, I wouldn't be that mad to see them leave.

The idea was to get Jim Magilton in to more or less run the show...but that was a disaster of an appointment. Maybe on paper it made sense.

Supporters misconstrue poor club management with owners that don't care.

I actually thought Mike Tracy came off well enough but that was when Dundalk were winning everything around them. I agree with you on Bill, he has came out with some awful statements and his plans were crazy, keeper taking corners etc.

I still think any club is better off with an Irish owner. what do Americans really care about an Irish club?, when the chips are down, they will cash in and flee back to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

From the sounds of it Peak 6 won't have anything left to cash in by the time they cease to be owners.

Plenty of Irish people have been terrible owners over the years, I wouldn't focus too much on their nationality.

However you could make a strong argument that a foreign owner might be in a better position to go in there and make rational decisions with their heads rather than their hearts.

Whether we like it or not these clubs are businesses and they need to be run as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Nice bit of revisionism there.... this was discussed to death at the time, 2 balls on the pitch is not a reason to stop the game if the ref deems the second ball as not interfering with play, the rule was changed a while back to address this specific thing. As for 40 yards, the lesser shown second camera angle showed it was significantly less than that so there's really no need to exaggerate, I've seen far far worse from refs in this league (even around allowing throw ins multiple yards from where the ball went out), if that's your gripe you've clearly not been going to many LOI games, & to be fair I know you have, (i.e. so you have definitely seen far worse come from our matchday officials) so just accept that we all get screwed over by bad decisions, because we all clearly do.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The ref in Athlone about ten years ago walking backwards and bumping I to a player only to turn around and show him a straight red has to be the best one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Full time was interesting around the tunnel that game alright! :D

Romano doing more than RTE to promote the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

We're at the point anything is worth a try. The goals have dried up and none of the forwards look like scoring. Hopefully Wright can get a few goals and help us pick up points again. Would snap your hand off now for 4th on goal difference and Europe next year. Its really gone that off the rails after a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Adrian Carberry gone from Athlone (as is Brian O'Sullivan as of last week). Have a concern that we'll be seeing another asterix there.

I see Dundalk have signed a Moroccan now. It really is the United Nations. Oh and a Scottish goalkeeper. ( no, not Cherrie 😀). An ‘option’ for next year apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Ah that was Alan Murphy sent off back in 2007, jesus christ that was beyond astonishing even by the lowest of LOI refereeing standards. Yep for anyone who has never seen it the description of it is 100% accurate

Its anyone's guess how them 2 lads will turn out. I wouldn't get my hopes up to be honest, Colovic was at Atletico Madrid when he was a youth player and he was useless. The Scottish keeper was at Leicester city, but Dundalk had a player who was at swansea and he never even got a game in Dundalk in 2 years, Sligo had a keeper who used to train with Petr Cech and Thibaut Courtois at Chelsea, he was very poor for Sligo and now plays for Chesnut in division 7 in England.

I would still throw the Scottish keeper in straight away, I know he had laser eye surgery lately and cant see properly and is still recovering from the leg break, but he would still be a better option than Abibi.

I’d have thought Dundalk had their fill of quarantine regulations and would sign closer to home but there you go. I suppose there’s little danger of him being called for internationals . The Central African Republics must be piss poor if Zahibo is a full international. I agree with CorkRed. He’s absolutely usel

• Advertisement

Useless and has a terrible attitude. If I was asked.... I’d say he knows nothing about football

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement