Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I remember this type of thing when I was buying in 2018. The mad increases from the previous year or so had slowed down but vendors had their expectations and wouldn't budge. I made an offer at asking on a couple of places and was the only bidder at the time, only for the agent to come back and say "actually the vendor wants 10k more now", essentially asking me to bid against myself!

My friend at the time really wanted a particular house and did up their bid as requested, so it can work in some cases if the vendors really stick to their guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dag12

Exactly, I am basically bidding against myself. I would appreciate if they would be more transparent about their expectations. I think I will probably move on and get out outbidded somewhere rather than vendors making fool out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 popeyed2

Congratulations!! What a feeling that must be! Our solicitor is requisitioning funds today from the bank. Was there a big wait for draw down once funds were requested?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iris11111

Signed the contracts yesterday, paid outstanding deposit today. And here is the waiting again for the final step of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Yeah, it ended up being over 3 weeks before we received funds after the drawdown request was submitted. It normally takes 3-5 working days for the application to be reviewed, but that's 6-9 working days with AIB at the moment. The bank raised a query on the home insurance (even though they had the info they needed all along!) after 10 days, which knocked our application back into the queue and delayed it by another 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

We were notified by our broker yesterday that the bank transferred the funds to our solicitors, rang our solicitors office (our solicitor is on part-time at the moment, and the one covering him is on AL), and it was their first time hearing of it, and "they hadn'y opened our file today". We were told by our solicitor that we would be closing Monday, the vendors were told it would be some time next week, so no idea what's going on. Seems like no-one is talking to anyone.

Our broker has been an absolute gem throughout the process, but the solicitors have been an absolute joke, and ironically they came recommended by our broker.

Update: So basically the vendors' solicitor has been dragging their feet and they haven't even signed their contracts yet. We signed ours 2 weeks ago. The vendors are hoping and expecting to be done and dusted by next Friday. Their new house is empty and they're screaming to get in.

Want to know who hadn't the foggiest about this and was storming ahead to close on Monday? Our solicitor. We literally know more about our case than our solicitor right now, and it's just thanks to the vendors being sound and us building a dialogue with them.

Are solicitors just allergic to talking to each other or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

Went sale agreed in May, buyers took their time signing contracts but eventually they did in July and they set a closing date of 30th July but nothing's happened yet.

My solicitor is putting on pressure for them to close but the latest news today is they haven't got their loan drawdown yet (from AIB).

Have they breached the contract by not closing on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

You could get your solicitor to issue a force to close notice. AFAIK that gives them 28 days to close. If they fail, they forego their deposit and the contract is void. That’s my best understanding but you’d want to check with your solicitor. I’d expect your solicitor to advise you to give them a little more time just to keep things smooth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Wow, surely your solicitor should have ensured the vendors had signed before he requested the funds.. could that have potentially left you with a mortgage to repay and no house to live in? Of course if it fell through he could just return the funds but there could be breakage fees or some other issues with that.

Our solicitor was excellent in fairness to him. When we sold he gave good advice to get out ASAP before losing our buyers and he kept the pressure on their solicitor when they were dragging their heels. When we bought he did everything he could to speed things up and again maintained excellent communication with the vendors solicitor. Maybe it helped that all three firms were local so he knew the solicitors he was dealing with.

The amount of money they charge you'd expect they'd have the most important things in hand, like countersigned contracts!!

• Advertisement

Have no idea. Both we and our counterparts are going to keep the pressure on our respective solicitors to get things sorted. Just absolutely insane that that's how we found out, and that noone in our solicitors office seemed to think of checking the contracts were signed on both sides first.

Our solicitor is on part time at the moment and his partner who has been covering him on our case is on annual leave so it's like a skeleton staff in there which, frankly, for transactions like this just isn't good enough.

Another week rolls on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 popeyed2

Ok, thanks for info, will set my expectations low. Imagine there will be some more checks and questions before this nightmare is over. It is exhausting.

Left a message for my solicitor to call me back ASAP, the receptionist says he needs to speak to the vendors solicitors first. They finally realised that anyway. Obviously because the closing documents they were expecting didn't arrive this morning. 🙄

Gearing myself up to tear strips our of our solicitor once he does ring.

UPDATE: We got a one-liner email from our solicitor saying they haven't received closing documents from the V solicitors yet (no ****), and his secretary is chasing them for an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 demr

Twice sale agreed and twice the vendors pulled out (different houses). Currently in the process of cancelling mortgage protection insurance but with heavy heart. Now back to having to reapply for AIP and proceed with looking at places again where bidding is out of control (at least out of mine). It is really difficult to not let this consume your life and affect your home life too. People say a home isn't yours till you get the keys, that you should see it all as a business transaction, but that's also hard when you have to picture yourself living in it too in order to ever want to buy it. I hope that things go more smoothly for everybody else here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Same happened to us. Vendors were mad to sell, rushing us at every stage. We signed contracts, they wanted to set closing, we spoke to out solicitor and she said to go ahead. I didn’t realise that they hadn’t signed and organised to move out of our rental, LL found another tenant. Low and behold the estate agent mentions off hand that now the vendors had to decide whether to sign because there were issues with the house they were buying. I was driving during that call, I had to pull over.

Soon to be homeless we had to threaten to walk if they didn’t sign by a particular date.

Worst thing was I couldn’t complain because said Solicitor was my aunts sister-in-law. I wasn’t even getting money off!

We were FTBs, if we ever buy again at least we’ll have learned not to set a date to close until contracts are back and never to use family!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Getting a little bit antsy. Been sale agreed since the end of May on an apartment but the vendor's solicitor is slow to send over stuff to my own solicitor, and then asks why the contracts haven't been signed yet despite my solicitor repeatedly saying that she needs X and Y from him before she can bring me in to sign. I think we're only waiting on one final thing now. She emailed me Friday to say she had requested a signed Deed of Assurance in relation to the transfer of the common areas to the management company (I'm buying an apartment, the common areas are just the car parking and walkways leading into the apartments). She has also queried why the common areas were never transferred to the management company despite the development being completed in the mid 90s. I don't really know what any of this means and I'm petrified it's going to put the kibosh in the whole sale. My solicitor said she would phone me today or tomorrow to discuss the issue, but I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

FTBs here too, honestly we just naively took for granted that our solicitors knew what they were doing, and assumed that they would have completed all the necessary checks, like contracts signed on both sides. I don't know if it were a case of things slipping through the cracks since our solicitor was on leave or what the story was, but in any case it's just ridiculous. Just off the phone from our solicitor's office for the 3rd time today chasing for an update/explanation, and still nothing. Absolutely fuming right now.

We have deliveries arranged, I gave my landlord notice (he is sound and won't leave me out on the street but the solicitors don't need to know that), and had annual leave arranged with work.

We and the vendors have agreed on Friday as our chosen closing day, and are going to keep in constant contact this week so we're each up to date on how the other side is doing, so there should hopefully be no chances of cold feet from them.

how long are banks taking at the moment with applications? We had AIP with finance ireland and have gone sale agreed in that time. Anxious to get a move on but haven’t heard update from bank since we supplied them with updated salary certs and letter confirming no subsidy being availed of.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Just putting it out there...sale agreed since Nov 2020...fml! Slow doesn't come close, probate, land reg and compliance issues .. getting towards the end. Decent saving based on all similar properties in the area that have gone sale agreed in the last 24 months hence our patience. touch wood it actually eventually goes through

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Estate Agents often recommend the vendor lists the house 10% below valuation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Well I pulled out of my sale today - was selling to investor dragging his heels - so just lost the plot -hopefully it’s a family this time . Fingers crossed .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭tscul32

I have an offer on a house, under asking (not drastically) and was rejected as they want the asking. Fair enough, but I said I wasn't bidding against myself. I feel the property is over priced anyway so won't be going to asking. They have no other offers so I'm happy to bide my time.

But when we got a valuation on ours, EA gave us a price he thinks they'd achieve but that they'd put it on at 10% less so as not to scare anyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dag12

Unfortunately I did bid against myself, not sure if it's worth it yet, waiting for an answer. But definitely not offering more than my last offer. Its a horrible feeling, but whay can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I don't know why you look at this at bidding against yourself. I would look at this as an effort to lock a house (good luck with it, assuming this is what you want!). Also, when things fail, its the EAs "sales" strategy I'd blame before blaming the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

so you're pretty much saying that you want things to work for the house you're selling in certain way, but have different expectation for the house you're buying ... yeah, can see how some (chain) buyers would think this strategy should work ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭tscul32

Not at all, no expectations either way. If I felt the house was worth (to me) the asking I'd be happy to pay it. It's an offer, they're under no obligation to accept it, which they haven't.

And my house isn't for sale yet, but if we do put it up I'm unlikely to insist that the EA list it at a higher price. I'd be paying them for their expertise, would be silly to ignore it. Friend sold her house earlier this year and EA did the same, listed for less than they expected to get. I'm merely pointing out that this is something that EAs do deliberately.

Interestingly it's the same EA that valued mine and are selling the one we've an offer on, didn't use the under price tactic on the other house. Or maybe the vendor insisted it be listed at the price they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

my solicitor is being incredibly slow responding about the contract. I keep chasing. whats the deal? do all conveyancing solicitors go at a snails pace. and do they all still write letters like its 1952? help

Possibly a stupid question, but when transferring the balance needed to pay for the purchase of a property can I walk into my bank and do a bank transfer? The maximum I can do per day online is €5,000 but the amount I'll need to transfer is higher than that. I'm presuming I can but I just want to make sure before I go in to do it.

• Advertisement

It seems to vary from solicitor to solicitor. My own solicitor is very on the ball and is chasing things up constantly, but she keeps having to go back to the vendor's solicitor requesting the same things over and over again because they're just sending things in bits and pieces instead of all at once.

Everything has been done by email and phone. I haven't even met my solicitor in person yet.

Advertisement