Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The poster was talking about the 'humiliation' of the withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,432 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fair enough. I took it to mean the whole $h1tshow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

Completely agree, but it's the visuals that will be used against him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Firstly its not 300k soldiers.

There were officially 300,000 Afghan troops, but the 300,000 included only 185,000 army troops or special operations forces under Defense Ministry control, with police and other security personnel making up the rest.

Barely 60 percent of the Afghan army troops were trained fighters.

A more accurate estimate of the army's fighting strength, once the 8,000 air force personnel are taken out of the equation, is 96,000.

However the Afghan army had to replace 25 percent of its force each year -- largely because of desertions -- and American soldiers working with the Afghans came to see this rate as "normal."

Secondly, the salaries of the Afghan army had been paid for years by the Pentagon.

But from the moment the American army announced its planned withdrawal in April, responsibility for those payments fell on the Kabul government.

Numerous Afghan soldiers have complained on social media that they not only have not been paid in months, in many instances their units were no longer receiving food or supplies -- not even ammunition.

Thirdly the Afghan army fighting alongside American troops was molded to match the way the Americans operate. The U.S. military, the world’s most advanced, relies heavily on combining ground operations with air power, using aircraft to resupply outposts, strike targets, ferry the wounded, and collect reconnaissance and intelligence.

In the wake of Biden’s withdrawal decision, the U.S. pulled its air support, intelligence and contractors servicing Afghanistan’s planes and helicopters. That meant the Afghan military simply couldn’t operate anymore.

When U.S. forces were still operating , the Afghan government sought to maximize its presence through the country’s far-flung countryside, maintaining more than 200 bases and outposts that could be resupplied only by air.

Once the air support went these bases were isolated.

The Taliban concentrated on overrunning the isolated outposts, massacring soldiers who were determined to resist but allowing safe conduct to those who surrendered, often via deals negotiated by local tribal elders. The Taliban gave pocket money to some of these troops, who had gone unpaid for months.

By the time the Taliban began their assault on major population areas this month, the Afghan military was so demoralized that it offered little resistance. Provincial leaders and senior commanders replicated surrender deals struck on the local level before. The elite commando units were one exception, but they were too few in number and lacked aircraft to move them around the country.

Biden should not have withdrawn the final troops when it was obvious that the Taliban had repeatedly reneged on the promises agreed under last years treaty.

Biden’s determination to adhere to the treaty without a well-planned military transition plan, emboldened the Taliban and hit the morale of the Afghan armed forces just as the country was beginning its fighting season.

The Taliban now have control of all the advanced weaponry the US provided.

Its been a catastrophic sequence of events and Biden has made a complete mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

He did a **** job of it but history shows that resignation doesn't happen over an international clusterfcuk. It just doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This is the most on point and astute comment I have read on this thread.

The idea that the Afghan forces were unwilling to fight and never lifted their weapons is an absolute nonsense. They have lost thousands of soldiers in recent times as the fighting intensified. The entire concept of the Afghan military - training, arms and operational doctrine - was built around the idea that they would receive continued US support for many more years. Trump completely upended this whole concept and Biden followed through on it. The rug was pulled from beneath the Afghan forces. The entire military became inoperable.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

I see the EU is already laying the groundwork on social media for what's to come....this time I don't think Europeans are willing to put up with a rerun of 2015.....no matter how many times they repeat diversity is our strength or some other meaningless slogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Usually used by people who are a bit mental, you mean. Free Assange with every packet of shreddies types.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Montenegro debt to China has, I believe, been bought out by the EU as of a month or two ago, but the point is well made.

640 people in a C-17

In the meantime, the Germans sent in an A400M, (About half the size). It flew out of Kabul with 7 people.

The Dutch didn't tell their Afghan embassy employees they were leaving. They buggered off, the employees figured it out when they showed up for work.

Post edited by Manic Moran on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

That's a good synopsis. On the other hand what could they have done differently, would a slower or faster pull out have made any difference in reality?

They pumped serious resources into Afghanistan and as soon as they handed back to the Afghanis the whole place fell apart. I mean the Afghans had 20 years to become self sufficient here, if they were that poor organisationally, militarily and as corrupt as you outlined there, at what point do the US say "**** this, we are going nowhere with this crowd"

Seems like the country was always going to be there for the taking no matter what Biden did. They had to leave sometime and the Taliban would have been (and were) ready to pounce whenever that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

You have to be joking..have you seen the chaos at Kabul Airport?? And that's only a fraction of the nrs escaping or trying to escape across the borders of Iran, Pakistan, Turkmanistan, Tajikistan and Usbekistan. This evening I was speaking to an Afghan friend who has managed to get his Family across the border into Pakistan. He only managed it because he crossed 3 weeks ago, along with many more who could see what was comimg. He said that there's thousands more at the Pakistan border now trying to escape. Trust me, there's very few Afghans want to see the Taliban in power,,,their treatment of Afghans last time was horrendous, and they have not forgotten. As for my Friend, everything he spent his life working for, house, land, business is gone,and he is now a refugee. Believe me, if the surounding Countrys opened up their borders completely, there would be very few Afghans left in Afghanistan...they would be gone to escape tha Taliban.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

FG and FF????

Go to bed man, seriously for your own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

But Trump struck a deal to withdraw by May 1st.

Here we are 3 months later.

How is that Bidens fault?? If anything he bought time but realised the Taliban had run out of patience.

Trump and his promise to withdrawl so hastily is the root cause of this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Do you even know what "the buck stops with me" means?

Yes, and the other prevailing theory that majority of Afghans want the Taliban back... and the basis for this belief is the refusal of the Afghan military refused to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,460 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lol

and then what? You want Harris or Pelosi in charge? Think that through a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Well they have let the USA land in Shannon to go to war for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I can only imagine the delight and relief these people are all feeling. Crazy day, and more days, ahead.

Add to that he allowed the Taliban to flourish, replenish and re-arm under his 4 years. And here we are today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Surprised at such a foolish comment from a man who seems to know a lot about current affairs. An 8 month term US president resign over an Afghan problem? Under what circumstances has an American president resigned in the past? Get a grip man.

Maybe potential snow season soon so you can return to your natural habitat in the weather forum. Choo-choo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I actually think it's not a bad exit. I think we need perspective here, if you are going to judge the outcome it should be compared to other outcomes from similar situations historically. Id say in terms of combatants and citizens lost and injured for the exit of an occupying force, it's a success. I don't know what people expect, that the Taliban would just chill and a foreign backed government would not be corrupt and would lead it's people to freedom! I mean come on, you are happy to get out alive from such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Lets hope the Irish governement is very vigilant when looking at asylum applications from Afganistan seeing as about 90+ of the general populace support Sharia law. I doubt it however.

Biden's legacy has aready been cemented, he is responsible for the inevitable mass deaths and rapes.

Sheesh. That's a terrible thing to say about Eisenhower there Dyr :) Do you prefer 'permawar machine'? Why not visit google news and search for appearances of the phrase 'military industrial complex'? It might help build your resilience against other words and phrases that upset that fragile sense of liguistic propriety, such as 'evidence-based', 'common usage' and 'no soliciting.'

In 2019, The Washington Post — obviously with a nod to the Pentagon Papers — published a report about secret documents it dubbed “The Afghanistan Papers: A secret history of the war.” Under the headline “AT WAR WITH THE TRUTH,” The Post summarized its findings: “U.S. officials constantly said they were making progress. They were not, and they knew it, an exclusive Post investigation found.”

And

Last month, the independent journalist Michael Tracey, writing at Substack, interviewed a U.S. veteran of the war in Afghanistan. The former soldier, whose job was to work in training programs for the Afghan police and also participated in training briefings for the Afghan military, described in detail why the program to train Afghan security forces was such an obvious failure and even a farce. “I don’t think I could overstate that this was a system just basically designed for funneling money and wasting or losing equipment,” he said. In sum, “as far as the US military presence there — I just viewed it as a big money funneling operation”: an endless money pit for U.S. security contractors and Afghan warlords, all of whom knew that no real progress was being made, just sucking up as much U.S. taxpayer money as they could before the inevitable withdraw and takeover by the Taliban.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I for one am shocked that a US military led operation on foreign soil can be a complete disaster from start to finish.

This is surely the first time such a thing has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The US presidents (Bush, Obama,Trump and Biden) well deserve criticism for their roles promoting the military industrial complex. I concluded back in 2005 the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were lost and the US should just cut their losses and declare victory and leave. The "leaders" the Americans sponsored are in it for the money, the army were poorly paid, if at all and often resorted to extortion of the local population to survive as well as being from different ethnic groups outside the areas they were deployed. The US sponsors pulled out they have no incentive to stand and fight and the Taliban have the greater motivation. No surprise they took over.

The blame lies with the war profiteers, the people who built McMansions on the back of this, in the US you will find them in Northern Virginia. Until the people of US (Britain & France as well) demand the profiteers be put on trial this thing will keep going. We don't get away either as it is we will all pay the price for the trillions of dollars earned by the war profiteers by means of inflation and shortages just like in the aftermath of the Vietnam war era since devaluation or default is the only way to pay for this.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When I see all the blaming of Trump and Biden

https://twitter.com/sumaiya15258374/status/1427328981754339339?s=21

Advertisement