Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

It's a travesty. All those dollars that could have been spent on domestic infrastructure. You should see the Army helping out after natural disasters in the U.S., absolutely brilliant, serious engineering skills.. they could rebuild U.S. infrastrcuture in six months. Instead all that talent and labour (and money) is wasted playing global police.

That said, I don't know what 'the dollar' even means any more since they are printing so many of them. I'm no economist, but it seems like another sign of an empire in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The world moves on, there are other matters to deal with.

The geopolitical consequences of the U.S. defeat will be felt for a long time. As Andrei Martyanov writes:

The world took notice and the United States handed the victory to Islamic fanatics and thus emboldened them, the same way the United States fanned the flames of Political Islam in 1980s and helped to form the force which is radically anti-civilizational in its essence.

This IS the main failure of the combined West and it will be, yet again, up to someone else to clean this **** mess after the US, whose political and military "elites" not only did not learn **** from anything but are incapable of learning. In that, when combined with a myriad of other economic, scientific, cultural and moral failures, modern West, headed by the United States, declared itself a failure. Events in Kabul today demonstrate perfectly and are the epitome of the modern West.

I am much less concerned about the Taliban as a winning local resistance in Afghanistan than about the example their victory sets for more radical Islamists in other parts of the world.

Afghanistan's neighbors will see to it that Afghanistan will not again become a black hole or a nest for foreign radicals. As Giustozzi remarks:

Overall, however, the primary concerns of the future Taliban-led government will be pragmatic. It will have to manage relations with neighbouring countries – Pakistan, Iran, Russia, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and China – most of which have existing relations with the Taliban, but do not entirely trust them. All have interests that they want the Taliban to respect. The Taliban-led government will struggle to keep the economy afloat and to maintain the provision of essential services, which have been suspended in much of Afghanistan as they advanced.

Yesterday Iran was informed by Russia that it will now become a full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO). So far the SCO included China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan. Iran will now join and Afghanistan has observer status. This block, which is to a large part about military and policy coordination, will cover for Iran when the U.S. will try to escalate over Iran's nuclear program. Today Pakistan's prime minister Imran Khan was in Iran for further talks. He will then travel to Doha to talk with the Taliban leadership.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Different situation but I'd say there are some interesting conversations going on right now in Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hard to disagree with Biden's comments.

The nanosecond Afghanistan was left to the Afghans the Taliban were let waltz in happily with no resistance. They clearly werent that interested in freedom/democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I would say there are some ambitious PLA officers that are tweaking plans as we speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Do you know the consequences of fighting the Taliban and failing? The US military did not destroy them in 20 years, do you think some poor people would have any confidence of success?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Yeah. I was thinking that too. A lot of allies in precarious situations feeling worried today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

But it had to end sometime, the way it has been handled is a disgrace but if the afghans were more focused on robbing the US with "ghost soldiers" etc then the Afghanistan government, culture of corruption has to take some of the blame, they had an opportunity for twenty years and there was a concerted effort to abuse the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well I know the consequences of the Taliban getting IN to power so I dont know why they got such a welcome. The US kept them at bay at least.

Neither fighting the Taliban or welcoming the Taliban seem great, yet the Afghans immediately gave up.

A huge percentage of military work involves moving people and things around. It's a specialization. Plus, they had several months to plan the logistics of withdrawing equipment and people. Where was the contingency planning? It makes little sense that this chaos is unfolding.

I don't buy 'the Taliban took over too quickly.' You plan these things so that your people are safe whether the Taliban take over quickly or not.

• Advertisement

That's intended for US domestic consumption to excuse the failure of foreign intervention (See Samantha Power and RTP), it is out of touch with the reality and fails to acknowledge the reality of the lives of people who live in Afghanistan whose per capita income is estimated at something like $2,000. When you are dirt poor survival matters more than freedom and democracy.

As a tangent a more interesting understanding of what the region is conservative may come from the parasite-stress theory that disease shapes human behaviour and that liberal freedom and democracy as we understand it only came about through the control of disease. Recently discussed by Dr. Randy Thornhill in an interview with Dr. Jordan Peterson.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I have to agree with Biden's comments, there was never going to be a good time to leave Afghanistan.

But when the Afghans themselves refuse to fight for their own country and their "political leaders" flee the country, why should American armed forces stay behind and keep fighting? Makes no sense.

So who's next in line for the USA chopping block? They need to keep their military machine ticking over. The scumbags behind the scenes need to keep making money.

My favourite would be Iran. An outside bet would be Cuba..

Same reason that the North Koreans enthusiastically support the leadership. It’s an act for self preservation. It’s easy having a go at the Afghan population for not resisting but honestly if any of us were in the same situation there is almost no chance we would resist.

I thought that as well. Maybe they're hoping China will try and reclaim Taiwan so they'll have an excuse to go at them..

Could certainly see the Japanese scrapping article nine of their constitution in the near future.

I was wondering this yesterday. Struck me after that they might direct more energy and money into domestic surveillance and control programs. Lots of money to be made selling military equipment to police departments in the land of the free.

Then there's this:

Over half of Americans believe the US is in the midst of a cold civil war, according to a post-election flash poll from Edelman, the largest public relations firm in the world.

And this:

A groundbreaking “Back-to-Normal Barometer” survey for the first time finds 61% of Americans agree with the concern that the U.S. could be on the verge of another Civil War [...] Within the 61% of Americans who believe that the U.S. could be on the verge of another Civil War, 40% strongly agree and 21% somewhat agree. Additionally, 16% somewhat disagree and 23% strongly disagree.

“This is the single most frightening poll result I’ve ever been associated with,” said Rich Thau, President of Engagious, one of the three firms—along with the Sports and Leisure Research Group and ROKK Solutions—that conducted the survey.

The two above don't tell me that civil war is likely, but it tells me that the public are being led in that direction. The media is extremely fractious. The media is in cahoots with the MIC. Therefore, it's safe to conclude that stirring internal division is part of whatever psyop is being played on the U.S. public. (It may just be part of an ongoing 'divide and conquer' strategy to keep people bickering with each other instead of combining efforts.)

It makes perfect sense Afghanistan is a patchwork of different ethnic communities, and their only loyalty is to their clans and then their ethnic group. The "leadership" structure inserted by the US were in it for dollars, backed up by US military fire power and paid for by borrowing dollars (i.e. reducing future consumption of anyone who uses the dollar and currencies tied to it). The leaders no power outside areas close to US military bases. Removing the dollars and the US military and they collapsed like a house of cards and all the ethnic groups that make up the army retreat to their enclaves, the concept of defending corrupt state leaders when you can't feed your family is not very appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

they were trained for 20 years, given millions in cash and weapons. surely the time for them to stand on their own 2 feet? some cultures just haven't got the fight in them. that's why they get ruled.

Course there are consequences. same as there are consequences of running away and jumping on the wheels of a military plane as its about to take off.

That Taliban come from that culture that ‘doesn’t have a fight in them’.

Currently the US federal apparatus is focused inwards there is significant disagreement within its domestic population on multiple issues (economic lock-downs, border control, debt, taxation) to start any more wars to "unify the population". Based on history they did not bother doing much for a decade after Vietnam (Grenada, Panama) before they launched the new world order on Iraq nearly 2 decades afterwards.

The US military even though it consumes much resources is not currently capable of fighting a major conflict, they can do some damage by standing offshore and firing missiles from a distance, but substantial boots on the ground is not possible. One of the reasons being the experience of the multiple tours forced on them during the second Iraq war and no war pay, you had to become a contractor to earn the big bucks. A substantial number of essential people like doctors left the military service. In addition they wore down much of their equipment over the course of 2 decades. Politically the Pentagon is more focused on being woke while the money keeps on rolling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

you are obviously very passionate about the topic. im speaking in general, easy to be in the Taliban when you can act without any resistance.

Sure in your world the USA should stay there forever minding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

You say that the tactics of the Afghan army are modelled after the US one, where air support provides a pivotal role, so why then would you omit the 8k air force personnel in your total afghan army figures? The only purpose would be to minimize the number of personnel.

Infact, the agreement is the US would continue to provide air support to the Afghan army after withdrawal.

Additionally, if we tally up the advanced weaponry the Afghan army had at their disposal, i'm sure it would exceed the wildest dreams of any insurgent group.

Seemingly a helicopter that was involved in the fall of Saigon, was also involved in the fall of Kabul. Impressive testament to the designers and the maintenance crews over the years.

https://warisboring.com/from-saigon-to-kabul-the-tragically-ironic-tale-of-the-little-sea-knight-that-could/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It doesn’t matter. In a week the US media will have forgotten about this and long term most American voters will be happy that they are no longer involved. Republicans will continue to try and use it as a stick to beat Biden with but there isn’t much political capital to made there. The American public doesn’t care about the plight of normal Afghans and they won’t have to take in any refugees.

My point is it is nonsense having a go at the Afghan population for not resisting. People sitting on their couches on a phone who would immediately pee their pants if they were in a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭davetherave

Is it just the Yanks that we should be banning? We've had military flights from Saudi Arabia and China land, both having questionable human rights records.

• Advertisement

It will be an easy reach for opponents of Biden, that the man who prides himself on his foreign policy screwed it up. Agree with you on the US voters in the long term. Imagine it will be about a month rather than a week. The twenty year anniversary of 9/11 and the contemporary situation in Afghanistan will get considerable media coverage. By the end of the September barring any major unexpected events the press will be onto the next story.

Advertisement