Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

Reading the quotes of a post to understand the context of a question is also a wonderful thing.

I was obviously asking about the advice on how best to leave Afghanistan, not on whether they should leave Afghanistan in the first place.

Biden disagreeing with advice on whether America should leave is well known, with or without the need to use a date filter. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

He was and particularly from his former colleague, the excellent veteran correspondent, Barbara Starr from CNN.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yes, I heard him say the buck stops with him but then proceeds to point the finger at everyone else for the failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yeap, he takes zero blame for what happened.

Honestly, as the hours go by, this could be the end of Biden as a credible political force. The next 72 hours are critical. If the shitstorm continues and Biden appears to be sticking to his guns at blaming everyone but himself, then turn him over, because he is done like a good New York steak.

I wonder what Harris thinks of all this? Will she be put out to bat for Biden, knowing that in 2024 it will come back to haunt her?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Seriously, it is really mad reading all this hand ringing and calls for leadership and credibility. This after 4 years of fecking Trump! Anybody who stood by Trump, stood by as he lied, blustered, clearly was out of his depth. Who stood by as Pence did nothing.

Suddenly they care about the credibility of the POTUS and the international impact? Come on.

Biden was pretty clear in his speech last night. The plan was to get US troops out. They had spent 21 years, the last 10 or so at least providing support, training and resources tot he Afghan government. They, the Afghan government, should have been more than capable of protecting the main parts of the country.

Biden saw that Trump had effectively given the Taliban free reign in the country, there was no long term fix. Trump had screwed that up and then by refusing to work with the incoming administration and allowed the situation to deteriorate to such an extent that to avoid what is happening would have involved massive redeployment of US troops, something which no one is calling for.

Biden of course will take the immediate blame, correctly, but Trump has a lot to answer for and the main culprit on all of this is of course W Bush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

One of the articles I saw over the last seventy two hours suggested that the Harris contingent wanted to concentrate on Haiti. Not sure how credible that is though. Have seen very little of her lately all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A guy in the withdrawal threads puts forward this explanation

Firstly its not 300k soldiers.

There were officially 300,000 Afghan troops, but the 300,000 included only 185,000 army troops or special operations forces under Defense Ministry control, with police and other security personnel making up the rest.

Barely 60 percent of the Afghan army troops were trained fighters.

A more accurate estimate of the army's fighting strength, once the 8,000 air force personnel are taken out of the equation, is 96,000.

However the Afghan army had to replace 25 percent of its force each year -- largely because of desertions -- and American soldiers working with the Afghans came to see this rate as "normal."

Secondly, the salaries of the Afghan army had been paid for years by the Pentagon.

But from the moment the American army announced its planned withdrawal in April, responsibility for those payments fell on the Kabul government.

Numerous Afghan soldiers have complained on social media that they not only have not been paid in months, in many instances their units were no longer receiving food or supplies -- not even ammunition.

Thirdly the Afghan army fighting alongside American troops was molded to match the way the Americans operate. The U.S. military, the world’s most advanced, relies heavily on combining ground operations with air power, using aircraft to resupply outposts, strike targets, ferry the wounded, and collect reconnaissance and intelligence.

In the wake of Biden’s withdrawal decision, the U.S. pulled its air support, intelligence and contractors servicing Afghanistan’s planes and helicopters. That meant the Afghan military simply couldn’t operate anymore.

When U.S. forces were still operating , the Afghan government sought to maximize its presence through the country’s far-flung countryside, maintaining more than 200 bases and outposts that could be resupplied only by air.

Once the air support went these bases were isolated.

The Taliban concentrated on overrunning the isolated outposts, massacring soldiers who were determined to resist but allowing safe conduct to those who surrendered, often via deals negotiated by local tribal elders. The Taliban gave pocket money to some of these troops, who had gone unpaid for months.

By the time the Taliban began their assault on major population areas this month, the Afghan military was so demoralized that it offered little resistance. Provincial leaders and senior commanders replicated surrender deals struck on the local level before. The elite commando units were one exception, but they were too few in number and lacked aircraft to move them around the country.

Biden should not have withdrawn the final troops when it was obvious that the Taliban had repeatedly reneged on the promises agreed under last years treaty.

Biden’s determination to adhere to the treaty without a well-planned military transition plan, emboldened the Taliban and hit the morale of the Afghan armed forces just as the country was beginning its fighting season.

The Taliban now have control of all the advanced weaponry the US provided.

Its been a catastrophic sequence of events and Biden has made a complete mess of it.

She is VP, at most it is a ceremonial diplomatic position. The main job seems to be to be the political emessary of the POTUS, to ensure that Capital Hill stays in line.

Are people really expecting Harris to take a staring role? Remember the abuse HC got just for being Bills wife and having an opinion, imagine the outrage if Harris was to actually look to be even slightly more in the spotlight?

Harris has a shot in 2024 because she is the VP, just like Pence, just like Biden got extra kudos. They need to be up to speed, in case anything were to happen, but at the same time do nothing that can look negative on POTUS.

What seems to be driven Trump supporters nuts is that Harris is doing the same type of job that Pence did, which of course they would much prefer there to be open hostility between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It was hardly planned was it, that the president, vice president, and press secretary would all be on holidays when such a big event is happening?

I mean I have to ok time off work so it doesn't coincidence with the start of a major project, don't most people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

To be fair midterms are generally bad for new presidents (midterms were catastrophic for the last two democratic presidents in 1994 and 2010). However another interesting piece of data was Gerald Ford's approval rating after Saigon 1975. It actually went up (thread below) the following month and had very little sway in the 1977 election. I have a feeling this won't be as big an issue long term as people make it out. These images leave a very nasty stain on Biden's presidency, but ultimately isolationism is the popular foreign policy stance, not just on the left, but also increasing on the right (especially amongst Trump supporters).

Nate Cohn on Twitter: "One minor note on the fall of Saigon: whatever embarrassment it may have meant for the United States or the Ford administration, it's not really my recollection that it hurt Ford politically or was an important issue in the 1976 campaign" / Twitter

• Advertisement

I've not suggested it was planned to be honest, re the VP, I just thought the silence generally very odd albeit I get a sense of, You landed me the Border Gig Joe, your on your own with this mess 😉

They are and it's about to get a lot worse for Joe Biden I'm afraid.

Based on what? The US clearly wants to get out of its international entanglements. Trump supporters must be loving that someone finally got the soldiers out of the never ending war. Of course they wanted Trump to do it, but now it's done. Do you think they care about the effects on the Afghan people?

You are looking at it from a non American P{OV, and certainly not a political POV. Americans are not going to change their vote because some Afghans are being killed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Fundamentally , leaving Afghanistan was always going to result in what we are seeing. The only real possible difference is the speed that it happened , but in reality probably not. The Afghan Army were never going to fight really.

The Taliban were always going to regain control , the current central Afghan government was always going to fall.

History proves that , multiple "super-powers" have gone in to Afghanistan over the centuries and for brief periods gained some modicum of centralised control , but ultimately they all left with nothing to show for their time there and Afghanistan went right back to being the same place it's always been almost immediately afterwards.

Absent the US never actually leaving the country and maintaining a military oversight this was always going to happen.

If the US voters wanted their soldiers out , which they overwhelmingly do then this was always going to be the outcome.

This is noisy and messy now for Biden and will be for a little while longer , but this is not going to be a major Election issue next year , no matter how hard the GOP try to make it one.

People are going to want to hear about the US Economy and the like , not about some place 10,000 miles away that their sons and daughters are no longer at risk from.

That doesn't make the plight of the average Afghani any less terrible , but that's the reality.

The one absolutely huge caveat to that however would be the re-emergence of Al Qaeda or ISIS on the International stage via a major terrorist event.

If at some point over the next ~12 months either of the above pull off some major incident and it is shown that they had used Afghanistan under the Taliban to plan, fund or resource the attack then it absolutely comes back front and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,040 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's what I keep telling people, families and friends of soldiers will be delighted they are out of there, and the last couple weeks will prove all their efforts were in vain. Joe soap american couldn't care less about Afghanistan and their people. What you have now is the right and left media predictably going at each other over this.

Based on many things but in particular the frenzy that's about to start on right wing Media drumming up support. America still deeply devided, Biden and the Democratic have a very very thin majority in Congress and none in the senate apart from VP having to vote.

The Right have been waiting for Biden to slip up and my god, its as if they threw a truck load of banana skins in front of Biden.

I've stated previously the Withdrawal was negotiated by Trumps Team, Biden had time, Advice, even it would seem an agreement from the Taliban not to attack. Based on these points alone how is it remotely possible to have got the withdrawal so, so wrong.

The Right won't blame that odious Trump, they'll blame Biden and let's not forget the entrenched anger in Military circles who by all accounts predominantly lean towards the republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why would the Republicans make a major issue of this? Seems like the military hawks are in a minority there now, and if Cheney et al tried to kick up a fuss they'd be obliged to spend a lot of time attacking Trump and other 'isolationists' in their own ranks.

Of course Trump and his acolytes will say he would have 'managed' the withdrawal better, but that's hardly the red meat of poltitical campaigning, and how credible is it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Incredible to see all the posters active here for the first time since Jan.

7 months until the first **** up I suppose was a long time for most to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭blackcard

Trump should rightly be blamed for initiating this withdrawal along with another million things. Actually when I saw the Taliban in the Presidential Palace, I was reminded of the scenes in Capitol Hill that Trump encouraged

But Biden has to take for blame for the administration of the withdrawal process.

Are the republicans going to be campaigning on an internationalist platform at the mid-terms? The exact opposite of where they have moved over the past 8 years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If they hoping to actually make any inroads they won't , however if they continue to allow Trump to drive the agenda then there platform will be all about how the 2019 Election was stolen and how Trump wouldn't have done this or that if he was in charge. I mean his press release the other day said "Do you miss me yet" FFS...

Might play well-ish with the true core MAGA base but outside that it's simply a non-runner.

The gymnastics that is going to be performed by GOP candidates as they try to backflip from the hard core "Trump was robbed" storyline during the primaries to something even remotely palatable to Independents for the actual election is going to be something to behold next year , that's for sure.

Is that why the Trump plan has been removed from the GOP website?

Of course the GOP and Trump are going to make this a major issue, thats politics. Unfortunately, Trump was, and still does, 100% believe in getting the troops home, in USA no longer being the world police. He stated it with NATO, effectively saying Europe is not the US problem. Are they really going to argue that Afghanistan is?

I expect they will try, but it won't be credible. The usuals will of course clap and holler that Trump is the only man to sort it all out, but they were the very ones clapping and hollering when Trump said he was going to do exactly this.

Unless, as a previous poster said, a major terrorism attack happens that can be traced back to the Taliban, most Americans are not going to care in a few weeks. We are looking at this from a moral pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You've been told by me and others that Donny Jnr is an absolute clown who doesn't know his arse from his elbow. He is fast becoming a coke addled utter train wreck.

No doubt others have told you the same.

Until you realise that and make that association, when you quote him absolutely no one is going to take you seriously here.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

Biden basically set to work reversing all Trumps policies when he entered office so suddenly this is a policy he can't reverse or amend. His points are valid. The policy of the withdrawal of troops is valid. Its the complete debacle of its execution which is why everyone is in a frenzy. Why not involve the international community in the plan so they can prepare visas, refugee programs etc. Its a humanitarian disaster that he won't even acknowledge and he is blaming everyone else, Trump, the Afghan Army. Also the Afghan Army backed down yes - but is anyone acknowledging that they fought beside US troops for 20 years, they tended to fight on the ground with the support of the US in the air, the US supported them logistically and had all the military intelligence, that they also lost 50,000 soldiers and they hadn't been paid in 7 months as someone ran off with their money and they feared for their families - there is always a reason whether justified or not. The coldness of his speech last night was appalling. We are not nation builders. ok but why stay in Afghanistan for 20 years investing in them if you werent going to see it through. I wanted Biden in office by the way but disgusted now. Next president please.

I hope your right, I lived and worked in the state's in better times but I could sense unease, increasingly right wing attitudes, my concern is Trump retains (bizzarely) an enormous amount of support in the Republican party and I see no other senior Republican that can take this vile individual on, they seem terrified of him.

Because they don't care. They don't want refugees, they don't want to give visas. They don't care about the humanitarian crisis.

This isn't their problem, as they see it. So get out. No long term plan, no slow withdrawal. Pull out, suffer the short term blowback, then move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

yeah exactly and he basically alluded to this in his speech last night. its not the us administrations problem. i need to sit with that reality for awhile that they just dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

and the F up isn’t as bad as I first thought. After hearing Bidens I can understand why they not staying. What they got wrong was how fast the taliban took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And the only official duty the Vice President has to they are president of the us senate. They have become more visible in the recent past but unless there’s been some change I’ve missed presiding over the senate is their only official role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But, the current VP is a minority woman of color. The QGOP have been obsessed with her since she was a DA in San Francisco, later a Senator. Now their excuse is, she may be a POTUS candidate in 2024 (remember all the "Harris is running everything" lies posted here and elsewhere, gleaned lazily from Fox and DailyCarlson?) Racism is the fuel in the GOP engine.

And exactly what did Pence do in the last administration beyond preside over the Senate? Have meetings with evangelicals is about all I remember. Was there some particular responsibility he had or policy that he drove? Hmmm..

Advertisement