Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female TD's break silence on harassment

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the response she chose was not to press charges against that stalker ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can you point to some rape threats against male politicians then?.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Accuses men of being misogynistic ... whilst using misandrist language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well in fairness, you have form when it comes to attacking female politicians. You had posts removed from the Helen McEntee thread for example, all because she had the cheek of getting pregnant and let's not forget your crusade on the Maria Bailey thread, posting with glee in fact at the thought of CCTV footage being leaked. You got months of entertainment on that one.

I am not sure of your motivation but it doesn't look all that great from afar. Put it this way, would you like your employer to know what you were posting?

No one is above criticism not should they be exempted from being criticised.

Has anyone any specific examples outside of one or two isolated incidents where women receive harsher criticism or undue remarks than male TDs?

• Advertisement

Check out this bullying and intimidation from local SF goons, towards a Labour female poltican.

https://youtu.be/Ay2x2x0SeYU

I also noticed that abuse of female politicians goes on longer online, much longer in fact.

I made this point already, in another thread but it's true.

How else would you describe men who stalk women? Go on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Standard carry on and imagine the party promotes this behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I had absolutely no posts deleted from Helen mentee thread, you're wrong on that one. That's either you being uniformed, or intentionally lying.

Maria Bailey, not once was her gender brought into it, I couldn't give a shyte if she was a hermaphrodite tbh, it was more her extremely suspicious insurance claims and victim playing i had an issue with, and would have no problem telling her to her face I thought her actions were despicable.

As for my employers, I work for myself mark. Buck stops here, so hope that answers your question. 🤣

• Advertisement

Haha, yes you did, as I replied to one of those posts and it was deleted along with your nice example of the crap female politicians had to deal with.

You got a lot of millage out of Maria Bailey, like loaaads. Lots and lots of posts were deleted there too in that thread from many posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Have you any proof this had anything to do with SF. If it has been proven, il have no issue calling out this behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

In Maria's case it is still ongoing years later. People trawling her twitter account in the middle of the night. Yet we get told "it doesn't matter she is a woman". Check above for account that was created on the day they dug up the Maria Bailey thread. Creepy stuff

No, you're wrong/intentionally lying. I only ever made one contribution to that thread from memory, and again, it was nothing to do with her gender, it was a piss take on her cronyism. It's still there, so I'll let others judge for themselves if it was misogynistic or gender based criticism.

Such a tangled web we weave mark....

As for Maria Bailey, dam right I got great milage out of it, and most likely there's lots of milage still left there yet, won't be long before she can't resist the urge to appear on the wireless or somewhere else playing the victim again.

That is a good point, why do that? Like honestly?

Creating a username after a female politician is well, weird.

Remember the guy who was called MattBarrett, after Leo's partner. He did it as a 'joke' yet Leo lived in his brain rent-free. The mask slipped a few times and he had the odd homophobic outburst. Got banned eventually....

Have you any proof this had anything to do with SF?

Thats disgenuous to ask for examples but preentively dismiss examples

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What? It can only be called out if SF did it?????

Terry Pratchet

The orginal poster stated 'Check out this bullying and intimidation from local SF goons'

Im asking forhis proof SF were involved in the incident

• Advertisement

Why did you create your username after Maria Bailey? Honest question.

My names Maria!!

Have you any proof your linked video of the labour lady getting abuse was done by SF goons or SF had anything to do with it?

My point is that it doesn't happen on a regular basis as purported  in the OP.

Male TDs are often subjected to violent intimidation too.

So, once again, do you have any specific examples of intimidation or criticism faced by female TDs on a regular basis on the basis of their gender that male TDs are not subjected to on a regular basis for same?

I await your reply.

I would have thought that was "bleedin obvious" - Maria Bailey was a political laughing stock, a parody politician so to speak, what came out about her (and Alan Farrell too tbf, but at least Farrell took his the whole way to court) and the fact a govt minister was instrumental in giving her legal advice, in the wake of Leo's "cheaters cheat us all" campaign was comedic value, and will be for many years to come.

Who could ever forget her interview FFS?

She's going to be synonymous with political comedy, dodgy insurance claims, and a great example of the entitlement culture within Irish politics for decades Mark.

That's, probably why the username was chosen, because Maria Bailey's name is now synonymous with satire and parody.

Really? Didn't you claim in another thread that you were gay?

And some of your first posts were in the Maria Bailey thread.... hmmm.

Because he or she might actually be called Maria?

A fairly common name in Europe and South America after the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Yeah, pffffft , who ever heard of a gay woman after all......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Yes male TDs get just as much and as horrid abuse thrown at them. They regularly receive death threats which is worse than any of the above that you've mentioned.

That seems highly suspect, I'd like to see the data that you're basing this on. I highly doubt you have any, but I know that won't stop you from making baseless statements.

Oh, yea, from memory. I can guarantee you that you had posts deleted in that thread. I'd put money on it. I know because I had a chat with a mod about them if I recall. Now, as to the post(s) that are deleted, I cant fetch them, only a mod or admin can do that, but you know that and you are doubling down on it.

As for Maria Bailey, well everyone needs a hobby.

Some people like trains, some people play golf, and some people obsess about a female politician years after the event.

• Advertisement

I don't agree. If you're a politician at the moment you can't just not be on social media and some of the campaigns that have been orchestrated against various people who've really no controversial public persona at all and they've have been really bizarre stuff.

We also seem to have moved into a realm of attacking the player and not the ball, which is very much something that's coming from US social media. When someone doesn't like a particular policy, instead of campaigning against the policy, or even protesting about that policy, they go after a political figure instead.

Then you've this anti-politics thing which is like "Ah they're all the same..." or these paranoid loons out there who keep using phrases like "the MSM" and think the whole world is a conspiracy theory.

We're moving into a rather strange era with social media driving very odd social phenomena.

Ireland also has a very genuinely, open democracy, with extremely easy access to representatives, and also because of PR-STV voting, we've lots of different parties represented and also a very low bar to actually standing. This isn't the US, the UK or France where you'll be stuck with one Tory/GOP/REM or whatever MP representing an entire area due to majoritarian electoral systems, you've a whole spectrum there.

It's also not just politicians, you'd horrendous harassment of various female media people in recent years and I'm aware of similar incidents going way back, and you also have just the usual random stalker / harassment scenarios that were targeting people who weren't in the public spotlight at all.

We have weak anti-stalker laws, where trying to get Gardai to intervene is often extremely difficult which does not help the situation. In the cases I'm aware of, the response was very much hand wringing or an assumption that someone's exhadurating and then all of a sudden it blows up when the stalker turns up at someone's home or workplace, or causes some physical damage to property or similar.

If we don't tackle some of these issues, we are going to just see worse and worse problems developing and it's a particular issue for people with any kind of public profile involved in politics, journalism and so on who make strong statements because of the nature of what they do.

We also have a serious, serious issue with lunatics online targeting ethnic minorities. If you look at that couple who had to literally leave the country because of harassment after they appeared in a supermarket advert. You have to ask what the hell is going on when something like that happens. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/co-meath-couple-lay-low-due-to-racist-abuse-after-lidl-advert-1.4041975

We have major problems brewing if we don't tackle some of this and I think we are tending to just go: 'la la la la - everything's fine! Doesn't happen here! Don't burst my bubble!'

Advertisement