Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

Proof of Funds - do you show your savings statement or transfer savings to your current account and have a statement for the current?

you should be able to - maybe call your local branch and ask

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So just started the process of selling our house, any advice on the process welcome. I am not in a rush but once a suitable offer is in, I don't want to faff about either. One EA recommended I engage a solicitor straight away as they can hold the deeds in place of the bank and therefore if all goes to plan, they can speed up the process. Is this normal? Also, aside from fees to the solicitor (how much are these typically) and EA (1-1.5% dependent on EA or selling price), is there much else to do. The sale will clear our mortgage with ease, does the money just then sit in our current account. I've booked an appointment with the bank as well, we are not in a rush to buy after we sell, but just to see what we would get in a new, smaller mortgage.

not sure re vendor but solicitor costs prob same as buyer 2,000ish. make sure everything registered and u have planning permission exemptions/certs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

On average about 3 months from paying the deposit to getting the keys the last time I bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭selephonic

So furious, I need to vent. We went sale agreed on a house in mid to late June. Estate agent said the probate had been submitted before house went on the market. Having got all our ducks in a row, our solicitor tells us that the vendor's solicitor "hopes" to submit the probate filing this week. So instead of closing in a few weeks, we'll be lucky to be in this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

I did this exact thing just a few weeks ago. Bring a drivers license or passport and the details you want to transfer and they will be able to process it in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

If it is for the bank then get current account and savings account statements. If you transfer the money into your current account then the bank will com back and ask for statements from your savings account.

thats ridiculous sorry to hear that. this whole process is frustrating. did you call the estate agent and tell them you were under impression that probate was submitted. i find there's a lack of communication between the vendor and buyer solicitors etc so maybe estate agent might have a clearer picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

took couple of weeks getting deeds from the bank by my solicitor, so yeah, at least that time can be saved.

assume you talk about percentage + VAT on the EA costs (funny enough, your percentages are smaller than what I am meant to pay).

do you need long term storage ? found out recently in my area storage is not easy to secure whenever someone needs it.

PS: having looked at how much an EA would gain for each 5k ontop of the asking price, I don't even know if its worth for them to negotiate further :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

No luck at all. Still having lots of viewings but no offers. House is listed below what it was valued at and is sitting online for the last 5 weeks. EA keeps saying all we are missing is an offer to get the ball rolling but still waiting. Don't understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭tscul32

Loads of probate sales are being held up by lack of death certs. My MIL passed away in early May and still no death cert and probate can't be submitted until that's in. The customer counter is closed because of covid and everything moved online, to be thrown into chaos by the HSE cyber attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Sale agreed just before lockdown in March 2020. House nearing completion with a view to a closing date next month. It feels like it has been a life time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iris11111

yes you can. We transferred the remaining of our deposit similar way last week. Good luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Where is your house. Mine going back on market today and I’m worried . It’s at lower end of market so anyone on PUP will go back to mortgage lenders in September

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭selephonic

Thanks yeah, they were either misinformed or are playing dumb. Not much we can do about it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭FrankN1

How has the market been the last few months? I have gone sale agreed in June so wondering if it's still going up 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

• Advertisement

Cheers, just getting a cert of compliance for our attic conversion at the minute. Forgot a few of these, bank valuator being one when we go to purchase. When you say outlays in regards the solicitor? What would they typically be or cost? Sorry for the questions. Also I presume the 2k is for sale only and then same again when purchasing.

Will get on that straight away then.

Yes to the plus VAT, it was just the percentage before VAT applies. Settled on an EA for 1.25% on sale price. There was a sliding scale where they got more the higher it went but when I done the numbers, I couldn't see the benefit to them or us of having the uncertainty as it wouldn't make a huge amount of difference in the end.

Started looking for storage today but like you said, none have called back so obviously not that pushed for business. As soon as we have one I will be clearing the house ASAP.

The EA has given us a price to go to market at, the price they feel the house is worth (which is the number we had in our head and not said) and the most they would expect to get (about 25k more), all of which are broadly in line with our figures. If they reach the upper number quick, we won't waste time. If it takes awhile, we will wait to hit what we have in our heads as the value and just accept it. I agree with the every 5k comment but the sooner they get to a price we like, the quicker they get paid so there is some incentive, but yeah, why waste a week over 50euro if you have to do mountains of work and the seller will accept what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

You can transfer the balance at the counter in your branch

no limit on over the counter transactions

you can transfer up to 10k daily at the in bank machine (AIB )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

It's a new build and contracts signed so all good. There was a squeaky bum moment when the mortgage approval expired, but thankfully I kept saving after going sale agreed and I got an even better rate. It's not over till I have the keys, but I'm fairly confident at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Be very careful with agents, another hard lesson learned when I bought my house. They want you to buy the house so they may omit to give you important information or as is the case here - get it completely wrong. I would always counsel that the vendors agent is not your friend, no matter how nice they seem. Any information required should be gathered from their solicitor by yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The EAs we met along the way were all pleasant salesmen but had a tell-no-lies approach.

If you didn't think to ask about something, they won't tell you.

Your engineer and solicitor are the people you need to make sure everything is ok with a potential purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Generally find this to be the case too. Many of them claim to know literally nothing about the property they're trying to sell and when questions are asked just say they'll ask the vendor (and if there's already bidding from other parties, they may just not ask the vendor and eliminate you from the process entirely).

Having sold recently, I can safely say my estate agent did not know the answers to the most basic questions about my property - how could they, they never asked.

It's tactical I'd imagine. While most of the places they sell won't have any underlying issues, some will and it's morally easier to only suspect rather than know about any potential issues.

re: "Many of them claim to know literally nothing about the property ... " how can sellers accept this as being normal (between being asked questions we already told them the answer to, and some sloppy mistakes on the adds that keep repeating - so frustrating at this stage; I thought its just this particular case - sounds like it could be common behavior ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

My agent selling seemed to be pretty decent, no sloppy mistakes anyway.

Looking to buy now and some a fairly bad. I get the market is strong so they don't need to cosy up to potential buyers. But in one case, I viewed a house where there was one bidder at asking. Got the impression they weren't keen on this bidder, agent said offer 5k more and vendor would take it off the market. I said fair enough but could we get answers to a few questions the agent didn't know the answers to (VERY basic stuff such as when was it built etc) and sent an email literally minutes after the viewing.

Over a week later, still haven't heard back. Ad on daft has been pulled down and re-uploaded so as to make it seem "new".

The agent may not have gotten a good vibe off us or considered is serious (we are - mortgage approved and money from previous sale sitting there ready to go), but if I were the vendor and my agent just ignored/forgot about a viewer who was interested enough to follow up after the viewing, I'd be raging.

• Advertisement

yeah thats true but u dont want them to be ur enemy either

Advertisement