Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and Nato withdrawal from Afghanistan...- threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Seeing the cowardly Afghans run away and try to swamp planes, seeing the plane filled with 90% military aged men, makes me even more proud of the men and women of 1916 who stood up against an empire. The Afghans who fled don't deserve a country. Leave them at it. 80-100k Taliban in a country with almost 40m people. If the people had a backbone they could crush the Taliban, they chose to run away. Cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,432 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

20 years is some wait though especially when you think there was no guarantee that the children in 2001 were going to follow you as adults when you decide to rise up in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Perhaps they were civilians without weapons training.

I've no idea how I'd react in the situation they are in but I suspect I'd want to survive and get out.

I wonder would you be all Rambo in a real crisis or is it just bravado from behind a keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Maybe it's this bit of the Taliban statement that means they now will enjoy some acceptance from the US:

The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan is not interested in anyone's private property, (not in anyone's cars, not in anyone's land and houses, not in anyone's markets and shops), rather it considers protection of lives and properties of the nation its primary responsibility.

Private Property being the foremost right in the eyes of the US

• Registered Users Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Sorry, was just remembering off the top of my head that it was about Afghanistan. Forgot the time line in the movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭briany

Option B, in most cases, but there's always that one guy who said he'd been in the forces or whatever. Anyway, this situation has been played out before. How much military resistance did the Taliban put up to the initial U.S. invasion? Very little, really, and the country was under U.S. control within 2 months. Were Taliban fighters cowards for running away or defecting? Same thing with the Saddam's Republican Guard. The amount of actual resistance they put up was pathetic in comparison to how much they had been bigged-up over the years. They all pretty much ran off as well.

The problem is, I think, is that most people on the ground in Afghanistan never believed in the project that was the central Afghan government under the U.S.A. To them, it was just the administrative puppet of a foreign occupier and certainly not something they were prepared to lay down their lives for.

I agree with the idea of leaving Afghanistan to its own devices. So long as the Taliban don't allow the country to become a hotbed of Islamic terrorism, no-one really cares what they do, and even if they do let training camps be set up, there's always drones to make them think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,022 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why don't you go over there and give them a hand? It'll be like Rambo III.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yup, and its exactly whats happening today with the Afghan military. What most people dont understand about that ( and other ) part of the world, is that for the majority of the population, each day is a struggle for survival. The rains dont come, the harvest is bad, the Cow dies, food is scarce, its a hard life. No job? No money..no money -no food,, Family suffers. Its that basic. And in Afghanistan, most of the population is rural based, and not in the cities. Cultivating the poppy is a major ( and sometimes the only ) income generating source. So for many, a job in the military ( even Taliban) is not borne out of a particular wish to serve or defend the country, its a way of earning money. And is definitely not in the plan to die ( and therefore leave the family with out a breadwinner )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yesterday you said Biden should resign. Such a resounding about turn by you.

The problem is, I think, is that most people on the ground in Afghanistan never believed in the project that was the central Afghan government under the U.S.A. To them, it was just the administrative puppet of a foreign occupier and certainly not something they were prepared to lay down their lives for.

Well an estimated 60K Afghani soldiers have died battling militants over the last 20 years so I don't know is it that simple. Though I suppose those soldiers probably behave very differently when they've got US commanders on the ground 'motivating' them

Can't wait for the Afghan Wolfe Tones to emerge after the war.

"Go on home US soldiers".

"Come out you Pashuns"

" The broad black Turban"

All sure to be big hits in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

I do get why the ANA collapsed completely without offering any resistance, incredible and all as it is and hard to believe. I don't quite get how there was essentially zero opposition to the Taliban from any other local warlords and their militias.

Homeland Season 8, set amid discussions between the Afghan Govt and Taliban, was released last year and although fiction it's fascinating and impressive how closely it was mirroring developments at the time - even long after it had wrapped up filming.

Fandymo, have you ever been in Afghanistan? Look at N korea, one man ( and sister ) controlling a whole Country of 25+million people.China another example of literally billions being controlled by a ridiculously small nr of people? Its easy to control people when you have the power of life and death over them. And thats exactly what the Taliban have now over Afghans. They are not cowards, and thats for sure. I would not blame them for escaping while they can. They know full well what the Taliban are like.....and the description does not contain the words "Peace and Love".

I feel really sorry for women and minorities under the new rulers and think there are questions to answer about the chaotic manner of the US exit but overall think it was inevitable.

I remember the same sort of people saying all the Syrians fleeing should be sent back to fight etc. It's such an inhumane attitude from people who are living in safety and really bugs me.

Taliban not big music buffs, by all accounts. Maybe they can be persuaded to make an exception for such 'patriotic ballads'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

What the Afghans needed was someone like your namesake from The Boys! I think maybe the American army is just very bad at training foreign soldiers as they were in south Vietnam and Iraq or maybe they suspected some of the recruits were actually Taliban so were actually trained a lot of their enemy. I don't think the Afghan army could fight the Taliban in the same way the US could, it would just be too expensive for a small poor country, even if they had an airforce, bombs cost a lot of money.

I hope for their sake then they never hear 7 drunken nights all the way to Sunday

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks that way can pop on down to the many towns in Ireland that rehoused Northern Catholics in the 60s and tell that to their face and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I believe about 50% of the Afghan population has been living in territories either controlled by, or contested by the Taliban for a good while now, unfortunately for a lot of them this day was coming. The speed with which the Afghan military collapsed is astounding, but something that should have been factored in to the scenario analysis.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Never mind the Wolfe Tones that looks like something from an episode of Imam Ted

Yes, let them enjoy while they can...All I can see is two bumpers with Taliban in them ( maybe there's more ) first time in their Lives probably, and same with the Gym,,,,another first, What did surprise me was a Talib taking pic's......thats a new one!!! There was nothing like this last time,,,basically any form of enjoyment was forbidden, and there was certainly no spare electricity for Bumpers.Taliban economics quickly ground everything down to zero.....no maintenance, machinery broke down.Electrical infrastructure, Water pumping stations etc all failed for the same reason,

Mm, even if the Taliban could be persuaded to tolerate some music, I'd say the theme of that one would get it canceled pretty sharpish. Unless it could be retooled as "Seven Nights Inflamed With Passionate Devotion To Allah" or somesuch

of course the present administration is responsible. Even if the withdrawal agreement was the last administration, and even if the last four years saw a drawdown of troops there (as it did under Obama), the withdrawal has been chaotic. I have no doubt that had the same scenes happened under Trump, even if the withdrawal had been agreed by Obama, sentiment would be different

rather than blame any administration then maybe blame the entire US army, state departments, military contractors and so on. They can’t nation build.

Yep to the last bit this has been 20 years of disaster spreading over 4 presidents.

I can't understand though why they tried to pull out so fast with so many still on the ground though. Why not keep the all important air support until you and your allies have their people out

I'd say there will be some interesting conversations going on in the US administration about the quality of their intelligence gathering. I'd imagine they wouldn't have ended up in this chaotic situation if their information had told them the Afghan army would collapse in a few days. It's strange they didn't plan for that as a worst case scenario though.

Yes you are right about the bombing, but that can only do so much ( unless you bomb a city into extinction...Hiroshima / Nagasaki ) After the bombing comes the hard fighting, street to street, building to building, and the Americans let the Afghan do the most of that. And they quickly cleaned out the Taliban, who were not quite as prepared for martyrdom as they were supposed to be. There was no fanatical resistance. The point is, when faced with unarmed men women and children, they are very brave...not so much when faced with a determined well trained and armed enemy though.

• Advertisement

Showing my age here, but after 9/11 there was an Internet meme floating round of "Afghanistan TV listings". The only one I can remember is 'Tallytubbies"

Advertisement