Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

"Let the consequences look after themselves" - which are ?

You've done nothing but moan about the AZ rollout, I posted it before "build a bridge and get over it". You got a vaccine that's holding up very well & does exactly what it's supposed to do but yet you've a serous chip off your shoulder about it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I know this is a rant, but the answer is "safety data on mixed vaccine schemes from other countries".

This is also only relevant now as we're not ordering anymore AZ and Janssen vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's amazing how every alternative opinion is a 'rant' or a 'chip on the shoulder' just because we don't all go along the with group think and the constant public nudging / spin emanating from the powers that be. Can yous not think for yourselves, take the information feeds and weigh them up? Of course, this 'only relevant now as we're not ordering anymore AZ and Janssen vaccines'. That's exactly my point. It couldn't be done before but now suddenly (as I predicted way back) the tune changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

But this is on form for your posts going back months, so you can't be surprised for your latest misdirected post at the HSE (instead of NIAC) to also be seen as a rant. It will also be dismissed because you have inevitably just ignored the reason for the change in policy (safety data from other countries) to further target the HSE.

You will also complain that your ranting posts are being dismissed I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I think for myself and no interest in group think . I was one who got AZ in April and was absolutely thrilled to get it

I expected my 2nd dose in July but got it in June . On both occasions I stood in a long queue in City West with people happy and delighted to get a highly efficient vaccine . If I offered another AZ booster or a Pfizer or Moderna I will happily queue again for whatever I am offered

among my neighbours , friends and siblings who all got AZ i heard only one person whinge but then again this same person is a professional whinger anyway

• Advertisement

Look at all the bad news from Israel re: MRNA re: short interval, brings about quicker waning immunity.

Its a very fluid situation: all vaccines are highly protective even a few weeks after first dose.

Big gaps are better for longer lasting immunity.

AZ protection is likely one year after second dose.

At the end of the day hse gave you a first dose months ago and told you take care until you get second dose.

I'm not blaming you for catching covid, but hse treated you fine with regards a vaccine and advice to take care.

Would you be complaining if you got two doses of mrna in January and caught covid before a booster next month?

You got one dose of a vaccine.

You caught covid and were not hospitalised.

As others said build a bridge: youve been vaccinated and infected and are out the other side.

be more positive.

"I'm just pointing out how illogical your position is."

I'm aware of what you believe yourself to be doing. No need to explain it.

"Are you seriously going to dig through the mountains of data on these vaccines development, trials and now their use in hundreds of millions of people and expect to find something different to what all the expert scientists, regulators and various on-lookers have not found so far?"

Since I've already said that my concerns are around long-term safety, it is illogical to expect that any short-term data would allay said concern.

"If you don't trust the system, will you be opting out of modern medical science completely until you have done your "own assessment of risks and benefits" of anything which gets recommended for your personal health? Stick to herbs and prayers instead? Didn't think so. I'm sure you'd have no issues if this stuff didn't come in a bottle that says "vaccine" on the label."

It is illogical to suppose that someone with long-term safety concerns about a new technology would necessarily eschew all medical intervention. To make such a blatantly illogical leap heavily suggests you are arguing in bad faith because you don't like the fact that I don't think exactly what you do and am not prepared to do what you think I should.

As for the last, I have already said that I've received every vaccine I've ever been offered and also requested some that I wasn't. I have refused a medication I was offered by a medical doctor in the past, because I believed that the issue I was having was caused by a physiological malady rather than the general "depression" the doctor insisted. Further testing with another doctor proved me right and I now take medication for the underlying physiological condition. Doctors are not gods.

"When you started wearing a mask is irrelevant and patting yourself on the back for being "so prepared for this pandemic at its inception" is just bizarre."

It's not that bizarre, really. It's a piece of the puzzle that may help to alleviate your obvious distress that I don't think the exact same way as you. The information I rely on to inform me about this pandemic and its attendant issues has never been the politically masticated, click-based-profits lubricated, bite size pieces on the telly or the RTE website.

The cock-ups, botched reactions and blatant lies along the way have been numerous and stark, and have added to a general distrust I have for career politicians and media institutions. I actively factor that propensity on my part in when trying to make these sorts of decisions, because much of it certainly is emotional (and not logical), but it would also be illogical to ignore the fact that the bodies insisting I cast off my hesitance today are the same ones who were telling me, for example, not to wear masks as late as March 2020.

"Did your wonderful foresight on masks not extend to the inevitable endgame here that this would only be ended by vaccines and make peace with that?"

I believe that the "end game" is herd immunity, by vaccination and/or natural immunity, to the point that severe and deadly infection is a rare outcome of contracting an endemic coronavirus infection. I have not stated, nor do I believe, that vaccination has no role to play. That is illogical.

"If you won't take a vaccine, then surely you have to accept you will eventually catch the virus, in which case why would you have been "wearing a mask before the first case was detected in Ireland"?"

1: We will all, most likely, be infected by SARS-CoV-2, whether vaccinated or not.

2: Early 2020, with its propaganda videos of people apparently dropping dead in the middle of Chinese streets and very little information about Covid, was a different time. It is illogical to expect anyone to have the same feeling about the virus then as now.

3: Since my concern is about the long-term safety of these first mRNA vaccines, there will come a point where enough time has passed and enough data has been gathered that those concerns will (hopefully) have been proven unfounded. I am prepared to continue doing what I can to protect myself, my family and others in the mean time, and will shoulder the 1-in-(roughly)80,000 risk that if I get Covid (again) I'll end up dead.

4: An interim change in the nature of the pandemic, such as a new variant that proves much more deadly (and against which existing vaccines offer protection), will (obviously) change the balance of risk.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Good to see Ireland ploughing on with a booster programme. It would appear that Israel are the canary in the coal mine here and those vaccinated the earliest are starting to see patterns of waning immunity.

It may indeed be the case that the mRNA vaccines provide high levels of protection that's not as durable as we'd like. Or maybe it's the 'Delta variant' causing the issues. It'll be interesting to see how the AstraZeneca/Janssen vaccines end up in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Excellent FT article (paywall) on Israels 4th wave:

https://www.ft.com/content/572112fd-a713-4b0f-99be-bfcbf8506205

• The trend is clear: six to eight months after second jabs, immunity starts to wane. Most recently, the health ministry found that for over-65s who received a second shot in January, protection against severe illness from the now-dominant Delta variant had fallen as low as 55 per cent.
    • 90 per cent of Israel’s new infections are among relatively highly-vaccinated over-50s. Health officials have warned that, at current rates, at least 5,000 people would need hospital beds by early September, half with severe medical needs — twice as many as Israel is equipped to handle.
    • Even highly-vaccinated countries should retain some preventive measures. (Israel still have some 'light' restrictions including mask wearing and WFH restrictions).
    • Israel has started offering over-60s, and soon over-50s, a third shot. If this proves ineffective, the government has warned that a new lockdown may be unavoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

It seems increasing likely that Ireland will begin rollout of third jab within weeks. And the numbers are huge.

Over 3 million eligible. Could keep the vaccination program going till the end of the year.

Big Pharma is going to make a fortune.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Have any of the vaccine manufacturers published plans for a vaccine specifically targetting the 'Delta variant'? If we got boosters with the specific spike protein for the variant rather than the old 2020 spike protein we could be back on track for herd immunity.

If we roll out 3rd doses we are deliberately stunting the effectiveness of the booster programming by boosting immunity against an extinct virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Bring on Climate Change, this sh1t is getting ridiculous. The Talibannies can’t even derail this hype train from number 1 news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Boosters will most likely only be given to vulnerable groups. For the rest of the population Covid wasn't a major health risk to begin with and the two dose vaccines already received will have reduced the risk further. Even with any waning, the stats are still showing strong protection against severe illness and hospitalisation. Infection will act as a booster for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In all this Israel data they rarely point out their overall level of vaccination has stalled and how that might affect things. It's been quite flat for months and we've now passed them. It's noticeable that a lot of the commentary on Israel comes from US sources who might see them as a model.

Its not a different spike protein. If it was it would be great as it would be unable to infect us

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I'm in talks with the Taliban's new health minister. They're developing a c-19 vaccine and they've agreed to make it available to 'blasphemers and atheists'.

Rollout will begin sometime in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Contrary to what one might think from reading news these days, the Delta variant isn't all that immune evasive, it's significantly less so that Beta. The real punch in the face is its incredibly higher transmission rate. It seem to just waltz through transmission bottlenecks like they're not there at all. The other variants we've dealt so far with had reproductive rates between 2 and 4, this one is looking more in the 8 to 9 range according to the CDC.

The original spike is still plenty fine as a vaccine, what the human immune system needs is a bit of time to mature the immune response and maybe a reminder once in a while about the danger (booster shot).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Lot of doom stories going around about Israel. Pretty much none of those articles talk about Israel hitting a "vaccine ceiling" back in March. Israel were 53% fully vaccinated back then, and they are just 60% fully vaccinated now, 5 months later. Its estimated that the delta variant would need 80-88% fully vaccinated to achieve a herd immunity. Originally that figure for "original covid" was estimated to be around 65%.

That level of vaccination is probably not possible in most countries with the levels of anti-vac, fear and ignorance around. And so unless that changes we are stuck with covid forever unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Aside from vaccine hesitancy, there are lots of countries that cannot achieve even 80% total population vaccinated because they have more than 20% of the population ineligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Azatadine

This would be significant for sure. Early days alright but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

"This comes despite the hefty testing system currently in place at Dublin Airport as well as the supposed safety net of the EU digital cert."

"Supposed" is the keyword there. Maybe it needs to be enforced? That might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

Fear fear fear when it comes to travel. "Chaos", "as many as 30 flights", "As many as 500 people will have to be contacted"

Why is it considered chaos ? Are we supposed to find this number really high ? How many people are contacted as the regular contact tracing not travel related ? There are 1500/2000 positive people every day, and 17 000 tests done, so how 500 people is chaos if it is only 2.8% of all the tests you do every day ?

If you take 30 spreading events and merge them together to reach a high number and create fear, why don't you do the same for other events ? Let's take 30 covid events in schools/weddings/workplaces and count how many people are close contact and need to be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eh that's Dublin Live, where society breakdown is happening before our eyes! Pull out the information but don't engage with how they write it. Appalling is too kind a word for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That 10% of adults yet to receive a vaccine is madening me. I actually know 2 of them who I've more less cut-off from my life. I organised a dinner out last week in a group chat and this one chimes in asking can we book outside because 'I'm not vaccinated' and she didn't want 'a stranger asking me if I've been vaccinated or not'.

*note the 'I' statements.

Of course I said, no not a hope, its raining and I don't want to be smoked on and that's your own fault luv. Haven't heard from her since and don't particularly care to, I booked an inside table for our group.

Another one says: 'I don't know if I want the vaccine or not'. Again more 'I' statements. He's from a developing country which makes me even madder than the Irish one, like would you not just go home and propagate the virus there instead of coming here and having us pick up your bs.

No point talking about herd immunity with these folks, it's all 'my choice', 'I want'. It's all 'me' with these people so best to drop them, if anything the pandemic has allowed certain people to be seen in their full technicolour which is a benefit really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

You're not focusing on the aspect I was commenting on. I don't have comments on the parts you took apart TBH. 1st let's see the rules enforced, then let's get the updated numbers. Then we can have an assessment on if there's "chaos".

Advertisement