Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

55yr old with 30+ driving experience and no points and my renewal came in for an 161 Astra at 886e. Hate this time of year and constantly having to shop around. How on earth can that be justified when my 22yr old child fullly licenced, on first time insurance in own name, got insurance for 750e on VW Polo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Cyrusmekon

Car: 11 Audi A5 2.0 TFSI (211 bhp)

NCD: 6 Years

Licence: Full 20+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp

Renewal quote: €807 - Boxymo (They won't match prices as they are mileage based quotes)

Shopped around, best I got was €434 on 123.ie

Went with 123.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

have been with 123 for past 3 yrs as they send all info and ins disk online - no documents come to my house. Price is the same as always this year - would like to shop around but do you know if any other company send everything online rather than to your home address? I don’t want my other half to know how much my insurance costs - she opens all my post so I may have to stick with 123 - any suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

I've seen a massive drop this year. My quote from 123 last year was €834. I switched after I got a slightly better price through Quote Devil.

This year -

Car: 172 Audi A7 3.0 (218 bhp)

NCD: 7 Years

Licence: Full 20 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp with step back

Renewal quote: €539 123.ie. Original quote was €499 with an additional 40 for step back protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Just renewed my wifes insurance with me as named driver and after 50 years of experience they want driving experience letters. I have no clue what they are talking about. Anyone else had to do this? This is First Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnPMcC

Everyone with their low quotes, I've driven before but never done my full. Basically starting again as I never renewed provisional, anyway.

No, no claims bonus.

Provisional.

Driving experience that doesn't apply.

211 Ford Ranger Wildtrak DCab 2.0.

Fully Comp.

10,800 insurance I got quoted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is there any company like XSDirect any more. Many years ago after my ban and still with my endorsements I got a quote from XSDirect for around a grand but the catch was if you were in an accident you had to pay 3 grand excess. Luckily I didn't crash for those two years so got through the two years endorsement and then had two years no claims bonus to go to a normal insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnPMcC

Possibly yeah, I mean I'm ringing around near impossible to get sorted after work l, just waited 20 mins on phone to Axa so I hung up.

I'll try them now XSDirect now. Good thing you got sorted I bet you had better luck then more unfortunately. Cheers for the response

I'm sorry to say but XSDirect went bust a few years back and then came back with a different model so may not be as competitive as they were back 7 or 8 years ago. That's why I asked if there was any company any more like them, I was hoping someone with more information may tune in but this site has been awful quiet since the change over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

Renewal from Liberty comes in at €805 TPFT and €860 fully comp.

Haven't gotten around to getting much quotes but I did try the one big switch code with Zurich and was quite surprised by how affordable it was!

€532 for TPFT and €591 for fully comp.

Is there much point in calling around or should I just go ahead with Zurich?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Trying to get a quote for my wife who has no NCB as she's been on my policy for the last 4 years as named driver.

She's 30+ and the car is a 2011 Hyundai i30 1.6L. Most quotes coming in at €830 fully comprehensive. Thought it might be a bit expensive. I'm putting her as main driver on the policy now as I'll be getting a car in the next few months so I can't be main driver on 2 cars in the household.

Any suggestions on who to try for quotes? I've tried Zurich, AXA, its4women, AIG and Getsetgo.ie already

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Len_007

Sex: F

NCD: 1

Named Driver: 5

Licence: Full ROI, 19 Years

Insurance: Fully Comp

Car: 2017 Leaf 30W

Renewal with Cornmarket: €500

AIG: €749

It's 4 Women: €722

123: €719

AA: €559

Super Valu: €374

Obviously went with Super Valu with me as a named driver.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Male 37 Full Licence for 13 years, 13+ years no claims, TPFT on a 99 Celica and my renewal premium this year which will be at the end of september with liberty insurance is €1228.61, on the documents they also list their comprehensive premium at €1314.81

I just recently had a message from AIB about car insurance so just tried a quote, they just quoted €557.18 Comprehensive. which i thought was odd so i tried AXA and they then quoted me €491.24 Comprehensive. What the hell are liberty insurance at 🤨. I also tried fbd but they wouldnt quote online at all.

Weird thing with the AXA page is it wont email me the quote when i click save, it states it has emailed me but nothing arrived. I received the saved 5 day quote from AIB in my email practically instantly when i saved that

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Fulmar

Male 72 + wife, Full licences and NCBs, no points.

Quoted insurance renewal for a 08 Golf GTI - increase €610 to €717 - no explanation. AIG on line quoting €513.

Liberty increased my motorbike insurance by 150% last year - switched to Carole Nash for less than previous year.

Been with Quinns -> Liberty for many yearsl Are they trying to go out of business?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

32 years old

2010 Ford Mondeo 1.8dsl

15 years on the road

No claims

Last years price was €520, this years renewal was €518, called them up and they dropped it to €445 with Aviva

The lad on the phone kept making reference to the car being one year older - What was he expecting the car to roll backwards in age?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

38 years old

2021 Nissan Leaf 40kw

13 years driving

No claims

Renewal quote email from 123 was €580

liberty: €429.43

Axa: €535.79

Zurich: €747.39

Allianz: €574.96

FBD: €532.75

Aviva: €545.35

SuperValu: €533.03

BOI: €448.87

123: €370.79

Phone call to 123 quoting the online quote and ended up matching for the renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

38 male

21 years driving, no claims

182 Golf R

Was with AA, they wanted 677 to renew. Got them down to 570 after a call

Aviva 354

AIG 537

GetSetGo 468

AXA 720

123.ie 530

AA 534 (as a new quote)

FBD 751

Allianz 483

Supervalu 714

Liberty Wouldn't quote

Zurich Wouldn't quote

An Post 439

Rang Aviva, wouldn't budge on price but took it for 354 anyway with full NCB protection and step back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

172 Golf 1.0 TSI, 29, 4 years NCB plus provisional driver, 28 female, 3 years driving.

Previous: Liberty 760

Renewal: 680, New policy: 648

Post Insurance: 530

Allianz: Would not quote

123: 864

Axa: 765

AIG: 1,138

AA: 911

Zurich: Would not quote

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Same details as last year.

28 Male

2007 Honda Civic 1.4 petrol

NCB: 9 years

Licence full - 8 years

No points

Quotes:

123.ie - Renewal: Fully comp: 482

Zurich: Fully comp: 382.05 TPFT: 353.63 (Added a promotional code: Protect for 19% off)

An post insurance - Fuly comp: 537.49 TPFT: 480.74

25 PLUS - Fully comp: 592.47 TPFT: n/a

AA - Fully comp: 610

AXA - Fully comp 604

AIG - Fully comp: 620

Acorn insurance (zurich) - Fully comp: 789.79

Blue/chill insurance (Ivernia) - Fully comp: 599

Britton insurance - Fully comp: 1071

FBD - Fully comp: 716

Whoops.ie - Fully comp: 845

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭ALS

Male 54 & wife inc

17 Renault Kadjar 1.5Diesel

9 years Ncb

licence 1992

0 points

AIG comp deluxe policy €288

through Getsetgo.ie includes €80 new customer discount

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

Lads, just curious to get a quote on a 13/14 GTI for a 28 y/o but having no look. There's always, or at least there was always some dodgy looking company/site no one's ever heard of who'll quote you on anything even if it costs an arm and a leg. been out of the fake quote game for a while, any suggestions?

I know this will sound like a lot of work, but try all or as many online quotes from this list.

Shopping around is simply the only way!!

I went with Zurich in the end for 382.

They offered it then for 355 when I called them today. I told them I had a quote from a different company for 350 (wink, wink) So they offered 343 which I accepted!

Delighted with this quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 podgey1992

Hello.

29 Male

2011 VW Golf 1.9 TDi

NCB 7 Years

Licence 7 years

No points.

1st Renewal Quote (Kennco) - 614

Glennons asked me to add a named driver and got the quote down to 541, I then rang kennco telling them this, added a named driver, and they offered 535 which I went with. Would recommend Glennons for quotes in future, they were very good, but the bottom line is price and I went with the cheapest.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

My wife received her renewal from Aviva recently:

Claims-free- max. no claims bonus, full licence 25+ years, zero penalty points

Car is a 2015 Skoda Octavia, comprehensive cover, social & domestic plus travel necessitated by her employment (public service) plus me as a named driver, with my own car covered under my own policy

Quote was €502, up nearly €50 on last year's renewal- we have 3 policies with Aviva- 2 motor and 1 house insurance.

Rang them up and did the usual, max they could offer was additional €15 off. Went online and entered details as a new customer, got a reference number, my wife rang them back and eventually got her cover as a new customer for €367, same cover, same benefits etc. Took an hour or so of our time but well worth the effort for the savings made. I know it's been said before but there is no reward for customer loyalty- we both have claims-free, penalty point-free driving history! After all the time spent on the phone, going over terms and answering all the questions I do wonder how people with a poor or chequered driving history get cover at all! sorry, rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Wife got her renewal from i4w for 697.

I checked their other site getsetgo offering her 630. But wouldn't let me buy. I gave them a call and they processed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Male 43

2010 Octavia 1.9 TDi

No Claims 10 + Years

Licence 20 Years

No Points

Wife is named driver. She has 3 Points, No Claims

I was with Zurick. Quoted 624.50

Aviva 669

BOI 578

An Post 523

AIG 479

FBD 502

I went with Allianz for 452

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Male. 53.

2018 range rover velar 2.0L.

No claims in 32 years.

Full licence 32 years.

Chill insurance €2300 with a €3000 excess.

Van insurance also since 1999.

There is a gap of 3 years in my car insurance from 2018 to now as i had a van only so they put me on 0 years ncb even though I've been driving the van accident free. Not fair IMHO. Its me who earned the ncb not the van but they make no allowance for that.

• Advertisement

When I was reading the post I was like how is it so dear considering age and then I reached the bottom paragraph.

Advertisement