Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Banjo looks wrong because of the issues I mentioned. You can't really just use the direct X library to emulate what the N64 did as it did all its effects in its own weird way. They will just look wrong unless you take a lot of time to code shaders to emulate it.

The N64 was kind of a rubbish console. The library really isn't that great. And I'll stand by a lot of games not being great on it. The Rare FPS games have been far surpassed and hard to enjoy with that framerate and their 3D platformers got stupid after Banjo. And Conker's sucks.

Like the PS4 when you think of the exclusives on the system, it kind of sucks.

The biggest issue for a N64 mini is the licenses. The N64 is fondly remembered for Goldeneye and the fantastic wrestling games that have arguably never been bettered and all of those would be impossible to get on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Don't get the love for the look of the GameCube or it's controller myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because it's gorgeous and came out at a time when the rival consoles were a nondescript massive black box (XBox) and probably the worst looking console of all time that looked like a radiator with chicken wire over the vents (PS2). Well the Dreamcast looked great as well. Think it's a gorgeous piece of both industrial and aesthetic design. And it had a handle.

The Gamepad was gorgeous as well with the button placement designed around how much use each got, analogue triggers and far and away the best analogue stick of any controller. The only downside was the c stick but it wasn't as bad as people say and honestly didn't a lot of use considering FPS games weren't that big on the GC.

If you look at its competitors you had the DC pad which has issues (one analogue stick and a dodgy d-pad), Xbox Duke was a monstrosity but the later s controllers I have to say were lovely, and the PS2 with that awful dualshock design that Stockholm syndromed people into liking it. So glad Sony finally made a good gamepad with the Ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have to say the gamecube controller fit perfectly in the hand which was mainly due to having no rumble motors. My brother had a gamecube which I actually played more with than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I've been wanting to play through Eternal Darkness again recently, but I'm guessing it probably doesn't hold up too well. Loved the GC controller though.

• Advertisement

The GC controller definitely had rumble.

As for Eternal Darkness, I didn't really like it on release. Very much doubt it holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Tried to play that Conker remaster recently, which was free on Xbox GamePass gold/ultimate. Awful controls.

It's really hard to go back to these 3d platformers post Mario Galaxy/3D World/Land/Odyssey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you think the controls in Conker are outdated, wait til you hear about its awful shite “edgy” humour!

I played it a bit, back in the day on N64. Rental 😊. Wasn't even edgey then. Should have bought a copy and kept it sealed. Ditto for Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64. They just seem "forced" and "trying too hard". I think Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, set the bar way way too high and nothing could compare to those for me. And I got those bundled free with my N64, when Nintendo were generous! Bargain.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

IT'S A GIANT SINGING SHITE MONSTER!!11!

• Advertisement

Just finished the main quest in Skyrim. Good but dreary. Gave Hades a quick go. Aggghhh more dungeons and death ...

Time to break out a Nintendo game!

Oh look the scarecrow is hungover. This is the mature gaming that's missing from the N64. Take that ps1!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some sad news here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058204481/some-sad-news/p1

Many of you will be familiar with Sabre0001, who was a regular contributor here and across the games category for many years, in particular fighting games. He sadly passed away suddenly over the weekend.

Awful news, and thoughts with his friends, families and colleagues. RIP Mark.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's awful man :( I believe he was big into Street Fighter and eSports. R.I.P Mark

I remember him on here. Always was a great contributor. Seems he touched a lot of peoples lives as seeing a lot of friends of mine that I didn't know would have know him putting up condolences. RIP.

I see Wasteland 3 is currently on sale for a tenner in Smyths and Gamestop but limited supply. I never played any of those games, anyone here recommend them?

Is it like Xcom?

Wasteland 2 is currently on sale on psn for 6 euro, that similar?

Lastly, is Desperados 3 worthy of a spin?

Desperados 3 is great, but it's a real-time stealth-em-up as opposed to the turn based combat of XCOM. It's from the makers of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, if you've played that? Very similar mechanics.

Haven't played Wasteland 3 yet, but I liked #2 well enough. Party based RPG with turn based combat á la old school Fallout.

Sound man, real time stealth em up doesn't sound too appealing, but then neither did turn based until i tried xcom. Might give wasteland a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

For whats its worth, i know you mentioned PSN, but Desperados, and wasteland 1-3 are all included with PC / xbox game pass at the moment.

Fecking Gamepass! Sony need to stop being cowards and make it available on PlayStation :)

• Advertisement

Save your money for Ace combat 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

If you still have a PS Now sub, WASTELAND 2: DIRECTOR'S CUT is on it.

Ah i let my PSNow trial lapse last week. I read there's a big difference between 2 and 3 and starting 2 first might put you off 3. It's just a tenner anyway. Worse case scenario, i hate it and sell it to cex for 6 quid.

Quake just surprise dropped on consoles. Has the two expansions, two brand new expansions by machine games, brand new modern renderer with new effects and Trent reznor is back on music.

Even better is if you quake already on steam you own it already. And if not it's a tenner.

Better yet, buy a cheap Steam key on somewhere like Indie Gala where it's currently €1.26.

Another Black Myth: Wukong trailer has been unleashed.

Got accepted into Riders Republic for 2 days next week. Have to sign a strict NDA first though so can't say anymore. No photos of the screen, no sharing, no taking about it. Basically Fight Club. Starting from...... now!

Check your mail if any of ye signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Got one too, NDA strict enough. Can also invite 5 people to the beta

Cool, give us a shout if you are me on playing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement